Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. We Need Playmakers!

We Need Playmakers!

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
21 Posts 12 Posters 992 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • FloridaBrownsFan F
    • 132 Posts
    • 1 Reputation
    F FloridaBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #1

    So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that our team lacks players who can win a game in one play and make defenses actually have to game plan against us. We desperately need playmakers and we need as many as we can get. I think that no matter what happens, we DO NOT need to trade our picks at all this year. We need those picks to get some playmakers!

    Now if by some miracle RG3 drops to us at #4, you take him without question, because he has the potential to be a playmaker at the most important position on the team. However, if he is gone as many predict he will, you take the best RB prospect since AP at #4. Who cares if we resign Hillis? We need someone who is a threat to score every time and Richardson has that ability. I'm tired of hearing how RBs are becoming an undervalued position because they can be found anywhere. While this is somewhat true, there is no reason we shouldn't take him at #4 because next to a QB, there isn't a player in the draft that could be more of an immediate impact to our offense.

    As far as the #22 pick, you have to take a WR. Between Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffrey and now Stephen Hill, there will be a #1 potential WR available to us. I think Wright would definitely be the most likely after his not-so hot showing at the combine. But always remember, game tape ALWAYS trumps workouts. The guy is a player and adds a new element of speed to the team that has been sorely missing.

    Adding these two elements to our offense could give Colt another year to try and prove he can be "the guy." And if he doesn't succeed, at least we will actually know that we gave him every opportunity to do so. And we can start looking at [insert next hot qb] in 2013.

    All I'm asking is please don't trade our picks H&H... RG3 won't succeed here if we don't give him anyone to play with so there's no point in trading to get him.

    [/rant]

    TypicalBrownsT 1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • Kerrigan91 K
      • 195 Posts
      • 6 Reputation
      K Kerrigan91 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      IMO taking Richardson with the #4 is WAY too high. Browns can nab Blackmon with the 4 (or trade back and get Floyd and another pick), then take Trent with the 22. If Trent's not there, nab Dre Kirkpatrick and pair him with Haden to get a nice secondary growing and take a RB in the second. If you end up trading down then you can grab another WR or TE with the other second rounder you'll have.

      Stay as far away from Jeffery as possible. He's barely worth a fourth round pick. Doesn't have speed and can't get separation to save his life.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • choco chocoC
        • 4k Posts
        • 352 Reputation
        chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I stopped when I read Stephen hill and #1Wr in the same sentence

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 2k Posts
          • 270 Reputation
          USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I stopped reading when I saw Richardson at #4. QBs and WRs win Superbowls. How'd the Vikings do with Peterson? How'd the titans do when Jonson had his 2000+ yard season. No sense in wasting the #4 on a RB.

          Kosar_For_PresidentK 1 Reply Last reply
          👍
          Quote Reply
          • USFBrownU USFBrown

            I stopped reading when I saw Richardson at #4. QBs and WRs win Superbowls. How'd the Vikings do with Peterson? How'd the titans do when Jonson had his 2000+ yard season. No sense in wasting the #4 on a RB.

            Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
            • 6k Posts
            • 221 Reputation
            Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @usfbrown said:

            I stopped reading when I saw Richardson at #4. QBs and WRs win Superbowls. How'd the Vikings do with Peterson? How'd the titans do when Jonson had his 2000+ yard season. No sense in wasting the #4 on a RB.

            Agreed, Grab Blackmon at #4 and Alshon Jeffery at #22

            Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
            K 1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            Quote Reply
            • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Don't be surprise AT ALL if the Browns go for defense....say Claiborne at #4 and Zach Brown or some other LB or DE at #22.

              A lot of you may not agree with it....but it not beyond the realm of possibility.

              Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President

                @usfbrown said:

                I stopped reading when I saw Richardson at #4. QBs and WRs win Superbowls. How'd the Vikings do with Peterson? How'd the titans do when Jonson had his 2000+ yard season. No sense in wasting the #4 on a RB.

                Agreed, Grab Blackmon at #4 and Alshon Jeffery at #22

                Kerrigan91 K
                • 195 Posts
                • 6 Reputation
                K Kerrigan91 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @kosar_for_president said:

                Alshon Jeffery at #22

                Waste of a pick. Jeffery isn't worth a third round pick. Can't get separation, has weight and speed issues. Get Dre Kirkpatrick and upgrade the secondary.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • SDBrownsFan S
                  • 126 Posts
                  • 4 Reputation
                  S SDBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Agree 100%. Both sides of the Ball really need playmakers.

                  I stay at #4 as well. RGIII could be a good one- Colt could be a good one- Next season we may find the next good one. I'd like to see the process through with Colt- give him two impact playmakers and another year under center.

                  As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle. We can sit and discuss line play all you want but if you don't have playmaker WR that get open you can have all the Alex Macks and Joe Thomas you want- Colt is eventually going to run out of time.

                  #22- I go best def. playmaker available. I like what the Browns are doing on the Defensive side of the ball- Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard. Keep building here. Now I said best def. playmaker and I mean ANY position. If Poe from Memphis is there I might grab him. He's a physical nightmare that can rotate in- think Giants DLine. Other guys Ingram (SC) would prefer an edge rusher he might be worthy. I think Perry from USC is going to be a player as well.

                  2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                  3rd round- I find the best available RT to compete with a veteran. Look for the guy to start in 2013. We invested in the line and have the two most important positions covered at least for the next 7 or 8 years LT and C.

                  4th Round picks- DB and DE always need depth here at these spots- you could find to rotational guys in this round that may turn out to be starters down the road.

                  Our offense looks a lot better with a healthy Hillis, Blackmon, James- each of these guys has at least one superior skill that can create problems for a defense. This will make 2012 a put up or shut up year for Colt.

                  K chocoC cribbs is the manC 3 Replies Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • S SDBrownsFan

                    Agree 100%. Both sides of the Ball really need playmakers.

                    I stay at #4 as well. RGIII could be a good one- Colt could be a good one- Next season we may find the next good one. I'd like to see the process through with Colt- give him two impact playmakers and another year under center.

                    As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle. We can sit and discuss line play all you want but if you don't have playmaker WR that get open you can have all the Alex Macks and Joe Thomas you want- Colt is eventually going to run out of time.

                    #22- I go best def. playmaker available. I like what the Browns are doing on the Defensive side of the ball- Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard. Keep building here. Now I said best def. playmaker and I mean ANY position. If Poe from Memphis is there I might grab him. He's a physical nightmare that can rotate in- think Giants DLine. Other guys Ingram (SC) would prefer an edge rusher he might be worthy. I think Perry from USC is going to be a player as well.

                    2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                    3rd round- I find the best available RT to compete with a veteran. Look for the guy to start in 2013. We invested in the line and have the two most important positions covered at least for the next 7 or 8 years LT and C.

                    4th Round picks- DB and DE always need depth here at these spots- you could find to rotational guys in this round that may turn out to be starters down the road.

                    Our offense looks a lot better with a healthy Hillis, Blackmon, James- each of these guys has at least one superior skill that can create problems for a defense. This will make 2012 a put up or shut up year for Colt.

                    Kerrigan91 K
                    • 195 Posts
                    • 6 Reputation
                    K Kerrigan91 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @sdbrownsfan said:

                    2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                    If he's still there, Browns should take Lamar Miller from Miami. He's bigger than James, and faster. He would be a better fit than James in a WCO.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • S SDBrownsFan

                      Agree 100%. Both sides of the Ball really need playmakers.

                      I stay at #4 as well. RGIII could be a good one- Colt could be a good one- Next season we may find the next good one. I'd like to see the process through with Colt- give him two impact playmakers and another year under center.

                      As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle. We can sit and discuss line play all you want but if you don't have playmaker WR that get open you can have all the Alex Macks and Joe Thomas you want- Colt is eventually going to run out of time.

                      #22- I go best def. playmaker available. I like what the Browns are doing on the Defensive side of the ball- Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard. Keep building here. Now I said best def. playmaker and I mean ANY position. If Poe from Memphis is there I might grab him. He's a physical nightmare that can rotate in- think Giants DLine. Other guys Ingram (SC) would prefer an edge rusher he might be worthy. I think Perry from USC is going to be a player as well.

                      2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                      3rd round- I find the best available RT to compete with a veteran. Look for the guy to start in 2013. We invested in the line and have the two most important positions covered at least for the next 7 or 8 years LT and C.

                      4th Round picks- DB and DE always need depth here at these spots- you could find to rotational guys in this round that may turn out to be starters down the road.

                      Our offense looks a lot better with a healthy Hillis, Blackmon, James- each of these guys has at least one superior skill that can create problems for a defense. This will make 2012 a put up or shut up year for Colt.

                      choco chocoC
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 352 Reputation
                      chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @sdbrownsfan said:

                      As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle.

                      ill agree that blackmon is a load to handle, but only for college defensive backs now bagging groceries that run primarily zone coverages. he got some man to man against stanford, and excelled.

                      but at 4.6, he's not running away from anyone in the NFL. kinda reminds me of crabtree....

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • F FloridaBrownsFan

                        So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that our team lacks players who can win a game in one play and make defenses actually have to game plan against us. We desperately need playmakers and we need as many as we can get. I think that no matter what happens, we DO NOT need to trade our picks at all this year. We need those picks to get some playmakers!

                        Now if by some miracle RG3 drops to us at #4, you take him without question, because he has the potential to be a playmaker at the most important position on the team. However, if he is gone as many predict he will, you take the best RB prospect since AP at #4. Who cares if we resign Hillis? We need someone who is a threat to score every time and Richardson has that ability. I'm tired of hearing how RBs are becoming an undervalued position because they can be found anywhere. While this is somewhat true, there is no reason we shouldn't take him at #4 because next to a QB, there isn't a player in the draft that could be more of an immediate impact to our offense.

                        As far as the #22 pick, you have to take a WR. Between Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffrey and now Stephen Hill, there will be a #1 potential WR available to us. I think Wright would definitely be the most likely after his not-so hot showing at the combine. But always remember, game tape ALWAYS trumps workouts. The guy is a player and adds a new element of speed to the team that has been sorely missing.

                        Adding these two elements to our offense could give Colt another year to try and prove he can be "the guy." And if he doesn't succeed, at least we will actually know that we gave him every opportunity to do so. And we can start looking at [insert next hot qb] in 2013.

                        All I'm asking is please don't trade our picks H&H... RG3 won't succeed here if we don't give him anyone to play with so there's no point in trading to get him.

                        [/rant]

                        TypicalBrowns TypicalBrownsT
                        • 1k Posts
                        • 98 Reputation
                        TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @floridabrownsfan said:

                        So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that our team lacks players who can win a game in one play and make defenses actually have to game plan against us. We desperately need playmakers and we need as many as we can get. I think that no matter what happens, we DO NOT need to trade our picks at all this year. We need those picks to get some playmakers!

                        Now if by some miracle RG3 drops to us at #4, you take him without question, because he has the potential to be a playmaker at the most important position on the team. However, if he is gone as many predict he will, you take the best RB prospect since AP at #4. Who cares if we resign Hillis? We need someone who is a threat to score every time and Richardson has that ability. I'm tired of hearing how RBs are becoming an undervalued position because they can be found anywhere. While this is somewhat true, there is no reason we shouldn't take him at #4 because next to a QB, there isn't a player in the draft that could be more of an immediate impact to our offense.

                        As far as the #22 pick, you have to take a WR. Between Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffrey and now Stephen Hill, there will be a #1 potential WR available to us. I think Wright would definitely be the most likely after his not-so hot showing at the combine. But always remember, game tape ALWAYS trumps workouts. The guy is a player and adds a new element of speed to the team that has been sorely missing.

                        Adding these two elements to our offense could give Colt another year to try and prove he can be "the guy." And if he doesn't succeed, at least we will actually know that we gave him every opportunity to do so. And we can start looking at [insert next hot qb] in 2013.

                        All I'm asking is please don't trade our picks H&H... RG3 won't succeed here if we don't give him anyone to play with so there's no point in trading to get him.

                        [/rant]

                        DO NOT take richardson at 4, I'd rather get RG3 at 4 if he's there, but he wont be.

                        The only way RG is comin to CLE is if the browns sell the farm for him, and they wont.

                        K 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns

                          @floridabrownsfan said:

                          So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that our team lacks players who can win a game in one play and make defenses actually have to game plan against us. We desperately need playmakers and we need as many as we can get. I think that no matter what happens, we DO NOT need to trade our picks at all this year. We need those picks to get some playmakers!

                          Now if by some miracle RG3 drops to us at #4, you take him without question, because he has the potential to be a playmaker at the most important position on the team. However, if he is gone as many predict he will, you take the best RB prospect since AP at #4. Who cares if we resign Hillis? We need someone who is a threat to score every time and Richardson has that ability. I'm tired of hearing how RBs are becoming an undervalued position because they can be found anywhere. While this is somewhat true, there is no reason we shouldn't take him at #4 because next to a QB, there isn't a player in the draft that could be more of an immediate impact to our offense.

                          As far as the #22 pick, you have to take a WR. Between Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffrey and now Stephen Hill, there will be a #1 potential WR available to us. I think Wright would definitely be the most likely after his not-so hot showing at the combine. But always remember, game tape ALWAYS trumps workouts. The guy is a player and adds a new element of speed to the team that has been sorely missing.

                          Adding these two elements to our offense could give Colt another year to try and prove he can be "the guy." And if he doesn't succeed, at least we will actually know that we gave him every opportunity to do so. And we can start looking at [insert next hot qb] in 2013.

                          All I'm asking is please don't trade our picks H&H... RG3 won't succeed here if we don't give him anyone to play with so there's no point in trading to get him.

                          [/rant]

                          DO NOT take richardson at 4, I'd rather get RG3 at 4 if he's there, but he wont be.

                          The only way RG is comin to CLE is if the browns sell the farm for him, and they wont.

                          Kerrigan91 K
                          • 195 Posts
                          • 6 Reputation
                          K Kerrigan91 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @typicalbrowns said:

                          DO NOT take richardson at 4, I'd rather get RG3 at 4 if he's there, but he wont be.

                          The only way RG is comin to CLE is if the browns sell the farm for him, and they wont.

                          Blackmon or trade down to get Floyd/extra pick with the 4. Then Trent Richardson, Lamar Miller, or Dre Kirkpatrick with 22.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • S SDBrownsFan

                            Agree 100%. Both sides of the Ball really need playmakers.

                            I stay at #4 as well. RGIII could be a good one- Colt could be a good one- Next season we may find the next good one. I'd like to see the process through with Colt- give him two impact playmakers and another year under center.

                            As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle. We can sit and discuss line play all you want but if you don't have playmaker WR that get open you can have all the Alex Macks and Joe Thomas you want- Colt is eventually going to run out of time.

                            #22- I go best def. playmaker available. I like what the Browns are doing on the Defensive side of the ball- Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard. Keep building here. Now I said best def. playmaker and I mean ANY position. If Poe from Memphis is there I might grab him. He's a physical nightmare that can rotate in- think Giants DLine. Other guys Ingram (SC) would prefer an edge rusher he might be worthy. I think Perry from USC is going to be a player as well.

                            2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                            3rd round- I find the best available RT to compete with a veteran. Look for the guy to start in 2013. We invested in the line and have the two most important positions covered at least for the next 7 or 8 years LT and C.

                            4th Round picks- DB and DE always need depth here at these spots- you could find to rotational guys in this round that may turn out to be starters down the road.

                            Our offense looks a lot better with a healthy Hillis, Blackmon, James- each of these guys has at least one superior skill that can create problems for a defense. This will make 2012 a put up or shut up year for Colt.

                            cribbs is the man cribbs is the manC
                            • 272 Posts
                            • 14 Reputation
                            cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @sdbrownsfan said:

                            Agree 100%. Both sides of the Ball really need playmakers.

                            I stay at #4 as well. RGIII could be a good one- Colt could be a good one- Next season we may find the next good one. I'd like to see the process through with Colt- give him two impact playmakers and another year under center.

                            As far as the picks- Justin Blackmon to me is a no brainer. I don't care if his 40 is 4.5 or 4.55- the guy gets open and is a load to handle. We can sit and discuss line play all you want but if you don't have playmaker WR that get open you can have all the Alex Macks and Joe Thomas you want- Colt is eventually going to run out of time.

                            #22- I go best def. playmaker available. I like what the Browns are doing on the Defensive side of the ball- Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard. Keep building here. Now I said best def. playmaker and I mean ANY position. If Poe from Memphis is there I might grab him. He's a physical nightmare that can rotate in- think Giants DLine. Other guys Ingram (SC) would prefer an edge rusher he might be worthy. I think Perry from USC is going to be a player as well.

                            2nd round- LaMichael James- Thunder and lightning backfield. There isn't a guy on the Browns roster than can make you miss in the open field and if we continue with the WC offense- we need these type of guys.

                            3rd round- I find the best available RT to compete with a veteran. Look for the guy to start in 2013. We invested in the line and have the two most important positions covered at least for the next 7 or 8 years LT and C.

                            4th Round picks- DB and DE always need depth here at these spots- you could find to rotational guys in this round that may turn out to be starters down the road.

                            Our offense looks a lot better with a healthy Hillis, Blackmon, James- each of these guys has at least one superior skill that can create problems for a defense. This will make 2012 a put up or shut up year for Colt.

                            I really agree with this logic.. People dont realize getting open as a receiver isnt just about speed. There are a ton of things that go into it. Blackmons a great route runner, with great hands, and great adjustment skills, plus he is big enough to get off the line when CBs try to jam you at the line of scrimmage. Kendall Wrights speed cant help him if he gets pushed off his route at the LOS.

                            And the argument about Blackmon facing poor DB competition.. So do you have to play in the SEC to make it as a receiver in the NFL? He excelled with what he was put up against..

                            I like continuing to put playmakers on defense, BPA at 22.

                            The only disagreement is to take LeMichael James in the 2nd.. He will never be an every down RB in the NFL, and has a greater injury risk. maybe in the 3rd round...

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • choco chocoC
                              • 4k Posts
                              • 352 Reputation
                              chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              kendal wrights speed? he ran a 4.6.....im surprised they could get him on film at that speed.

                              So do you have to play in the SEC to make it as a receiver in the NFL

                              no, but it certainly helps facing good competition. the truth is somewhere in between. blackmon dominated weak competition...who mostly played him in zone because it was easier to bracket him than double cover him all game. what this means is that we dont really know how he'll get off the line (despite your belief that 6'1" is big enough) because he has limited experience doing it against poor competition, let alone NFL caliber DBs every single week.

                              your failed logic stems from a belief that domination at the college level equates to anything more than potential at the NFL level. crabtree was supposed to be that guy....bryant was supposed to be that guy....green was supposed to be that guy (and apparently is), jones was supposed to be that guy. every year, there's that guy. suddenly, they encounter quality competition and catches actually have to be worked for.

                              it comes down to how he was defended as much as who defended him.

                              cribbs is the manC 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • FloridaBrownsFan F
                                • 132 Posts
                                • 1 Reputation
                                F FloridaBrownsFan wrote on last edited by FloridaBrownsFan
                                #15

                                I dunno maybe I'm just not as high on Blackmon as others. But I think with Floyd's stock on the uprise, I could see him being an option for us at 4 as well. While maybe taking Richardson at 4 may not fit the value, I still would rather have atleast somebody on the field who could actually score. Maybe going for a Lamar Miller/David Wilson at 22 would better fit our needs.

                                But regardless, I pray that we don't trade our picks. We just have too many needs. I'm a firm believer in developing the car before selecting the driver

                                R 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • F FloridaBrownsFan

                                  I dunno maybe I'm just not as high on Blackmon as others. But I think with Floyd's stock on the uprise, I could see him being an option for us at 4 as well. While maybe taking Richardson at 4 may not fit the value, I still would rather have atleast somebody on the field who could actually score. Maybe going for a Lamar Miller/David Wilson at 22 would better fit our needs.

                                  But regardless, I pray that we don't trade our picks. We just have too many needs. I'm a firm believer in developing the car before selecting the driver

                                  RGIII to da C-L-E R
                                  • 57 Posts
                                  • 3 Reputation
                                  R RGIII to da C-L-E wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @floridabrownsfan said:

                                  I dunno maybe I'm just not as high on Blackmon as others. But I think with Floyd's stock on the uprise, I could see him being an option for us at 4 as well. While maybe taking Richardson at 4 may not fit the value, I still would rather have atleast somebody on the field who could actually score. Maybe going for a Lamar Miller/David Wilson at 22 would better fit our needs.

                                  But regardless, I pray that we don't trade our picks. We just have too many needs. I'm a firm believer in developing the car before selecting the driver

                                  SMFH

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  👍
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • chocoC choco

                                    kendal wrights speed? he ran a 4.6.....im surprised they could get him on film at that speed.

                                    So do you have to play in the SEC to make it as a receiver in the NFL

                                    no, but it certainly helps facing good competition. the truth is somewhere in between. blackmon dominated weak competition...who mostly played him in zone because it was easier to bracket him than double cover him all game. what this means is that we dont really know how he'll get off the line (despite your belief that 6'1" is big enough) because he has limited experience doing it against poor competition, let alone NFL caliber DBs every single week.

                                    your failed logic stems from a belief that domination at the college level equates to anything more than potential at the NFL level. crabtree was supposed to be that guy....bryant was supposed to be that guy....green was supposed to be that guy (and apparently is), jones was supposed to be that guy. every year, there's that guy. suddenly, they encounter quality competition and catches actually have to be worked for.

                                    it comes down to how he was defended as much as who defended him.

                                    cribbs is the man cribbs is the manC
                                    • 272 Posts
                                    • 14 Reputation
                                    cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @choco said:

                                    kendal wrights speed? he ran a 4.6.....im surprised they could get him on film at that speed.

                                    no, but it certainly helps facing good competition. the truth is somewhere in between. blackmon dominated weak competition...who mostly played him in zone because it was easier to bracket him than double cover him all game. what this means is that we dont really know how he'll get off the line (despite your belief that 6'1" is big enough) because he has limited experience doing it against poor competition, let alone NFL caliber DBs every single week.

                                    your failed logic stems from a belief that domination at the college level equates to anything more than potential at the NFL level. crabtree was supposed to be that guy....bryant was supposed to be that guy....green was supposed to be that guy (and apparently is), jones was supposed to be that guy. every year, there's that guy. suddenly, they encounter quality competition and catches actually have to be worked for.

                                    it comes down to how he was defended as much as who defended him.

                                    Good points.. We dont know how he'll get off the line in the NFL (although height isnt the indicator for this). Also Id take Dez Bryant any day (minus the off the field issues Blackmon doesnt seem to have), Id put Dez in a #1 receiver category or at least high potential cause hes coming off just his second season. Crabtree is still putting up decent numbers with Alex Smith and a run dominated offense.. I know we need some speed at WR, but with the WCO how much is straight line speed going to help?

                                    I guess my question, since you are seriously doubting Blackmon being a good/great NFL WR because of weak competition, is what qualities do you want to see in your WR draft pick? Im honestly just curious..

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      Don't be surprise AT ALL if the Browns go for defense....say Claiborne at #4 and Zach Brown or some other LB or DE at #22.

                                      A lot of you may not agree with it....but it not beyond the realm of possibility.

                                      Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                      • 30k Posts
                                      • 6k Reputation
                                      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      Don't be surprise AT ALL if the Browns go for defense....say Claiborne at #4 and Zach Brown or some other LB or DE at #22.

                                      A lot of you may not agree with it....but it not beyond the realm of possibility.

                                      I agree albeit with different players... Ingram at #8-10 and Kirkpatrick at #12/13... or vice-versa... Obviously I have some trading in mind.

                                      I like Floyd, but WR's are deep as usual this year. Plenty of speed with talent available deep into day 2, so I see no need to go there early.

                                      RB-wise I love Doug Martin (Boise). Martin really lit up the combine. Slightly slower than James (4.55.v 4.45), but out repped James (28 to 15) in the bench press and beat him in the 3-cone (6.79 to 6.88).

                                      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • choco chocoC
                                        • 4k Posts
                                        • 352 Reputation
                                        chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        its not that im doubting him being a good receiver...im doubting that he'll be a dominant receiver that is worthy of a top 5 pick. i know speed isn't the end-all-be-all, but we need speed. we have a slew of young guys that can be possession receivers. we have no one that can get deep. so long as defenses can stack the box and cheat up the safeties, its gonna be hard to have much of a running game or short passing game.

                                        even at this point, adding speed wont do much. we could just put mitchell in, but that wont solve the problem. we have no one thats a threat to deliver the ball deep. teams dared colt to go deep all season....a few miracle catches resulted, but nothing changed.

                                        insofar as qualities....thats a good question. generally speaking, blackmon is a nice prospect. the root of my argument is merely to be careful calling this kid a lock, and that he's not a good fit for us.

                                        cribbs is the manC 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • brownfish B
                                          • 328 Posts
                                          • 12 Reputation
                                          B brownfish wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Flody, Mcnutt(colston of the draft) or Streeter over Blackmon

                                          Perry or Claiborne if they decide to do something strange

                                          Richardson or Wilson(going to be great)

                                          RG3 trade #6 a third 7,8 and next year 5th don't feel ripped off with that

                                          Luck trade #6 #22 3rd and 2013 and 2013 3rd round that's fair

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate