Skip to content

Heckert Confirms Trade Talks With St. Louis

The Browns Board
21 13 1.9k
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #6

    This time of year you are going to see all sorts of reports and most of them will have some basis of truth. Teams are sending out all sorts of smoke signals.

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Heres a great idea: Lets believe everything Heckert says before the draft happens πŸ™„

  • This time of year you are going to see all sorts of reports and most of them will have some basis of truth. Teams are sending out all sorts of smoke signals.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @ballpeen said:

    This time of year you are going to see all sorts of reports and most of them will have some basis of truth. Teams are sending out all sorts of smoke signals.

    AKA "smoke screens"...

    Up, stay, down... another "all options are on the table" situation...

  • @jnuh said:

    I would love to see us sign some real quality free agents, but this regime seems to want to build through the draft. With that being said though the Browns can't be trading all there picks to move up for RGIII if they aren't going to sign players via free agency to fill there holes.

    From ESPN "Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold on to their first pick."

    In short, we still have all our options open- other than going after Peyton Manning.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @hoorta said:

    From ESPN "Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold on to their first pick."

    In short, we still have all our options open- other than going after Peyton Manning.

    Precisely.....I honestly don't think any move will be made until about 8:22 p.m. on April 26th.....when the Rams are on the Clock.

    The ONLY way it can happen earlier is if the Colts reach an early contract agreement with Luck. Then and only then can any negotiations for RGIIIs services begin. After all, in theory, until and unless the Colts sign a deal with Luck, they would still be free to select whomever they want at about 8:15 that same day, including RGIII or anyone else.

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #10

    People were just saying that Heckert was putting up smoke screens last year when he said we were not going to do much in FA... and we didn't. Maybe by the third off season of him saying the same thing we can just take it to heart.

  • @ballpeen said:

    This time of year you are going to see all sorts of reports and most of them will have some basis of truth. Teams are sending out all sorts of smoke signals.

    AKA "smoke screens"...

    Up, stay, down... another "all options are on the table" situation...

    runyon27R runyon27 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tour2ma said:

    AKA "smoke screens"...

    Up, stay, down... another "all options are on the table" situation...

    I do believe Heckert isn't tipping his hand any. Here is a rotoworld update from today that kind of support this, which is how I want the GM to be, not letting the world know what he wants per se.

    Matt Flynn - QB - Packers

    The Elyria Chronicle-Telegram and Lake County News-Herald both believe GM Tom Heckert implied Thursday that the Browns will not go after Matt Flynn in free agency.

    The Akron Beacon-Journal also inferred that it's "doubtful" the Browns will acquire a "big-name, free-agent QB." Heckert made it clear that Peyton Manning wouldn't be a target, but he was tight-lipped on Flynn. Three beat writers walked away believing Flynn won't be a realistic option while the Canton Repository suggested the Browns may be the leaders in the clubhouse. At this point, Heckert's intentions are as clear as mud.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4949/matt-flynn

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    No, I think the Browns definitely have an interest in Flynn. They just don't want to seem to be too eager....because I really do think they do not want to overpay for taking a risk on this guy. Because he is a risk. He is a completely unproven commodity.

  • @hoorta said:

    From ESPN "Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold on to their first pick."

    In short, we still have all our options open- other than going after Peyton Manning.

    Precisely.....I honestly don't think any move will be made until about 8:22 p.m. on April 26th.....when the Rams are on the Clock.

    The ONLY way it can happen earlier is if the Colts reach an early contract agreement with Luck. Then and only then can any negotiations for RGIIIs services begin. After all, in theory, until and unless the Colts sign a deal with Luck, they would still be free to select whomever they want at about 8:15 that same day, including RGIII or anyone else.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    Precisely.....I honestly don't think any move will be made until about 8:22 p.m. on April 26th.....when the Rams are on the Clock.

    The ONLY way it can happen earlier is if the Colts reach an early contract agreement with Luck. Then and only then can any negotiations for RGIIIs services begin. After all, in theory, until and unless the Colts sign a deal with Luck, they would still be free to select whomever they want at about 8:15 that same day, including RGIII or anyone else.

    Your if\then about Luck makes sense- but the Rams GM said they at least want to have a deal worked out "in principle" by the morning of the draft. They want to calmly sit down and look at all the offers- and decide which one is best. His quote was "15 minutes isn't enough time to get it done." Of course, some team could come in at the last second with a stupid offer, and blow that out of the water.

    I'm not buying the Fisher smoke screen the Rams might just draft RGIII. That would leave them with an untenable situation with both him and Bradford on the roster. It would sure drive the trade value of Bradford into the dumpster.

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Yes, trade talks confirmed but we are not going to overpay the Rams to move up two spots. We are sitting in a nice position to pick a really nice player. The last two years we've been undercut by teams taking prospects that we really coveted. I think that if the FO decides to stick it out with Colt for another season, that means we don't need a QB... and with Joe Thomas on the roster as the best LT in the game today that effectively removes Matt Kalil from our wants list as well... leaving ANY prospect from the college level as open to be selected this year. I really like the idea of adding an elite cornerback to go along with Joe Haden in our secondary and convincing Sheldon Brown to move to FS. That would/should give us a lock-down secondary. Yes, we'll still need an Offensive line, a right defensive end and an elite #1 wide receiver but as you already know..."Rome wasn't built in a day."

    If we wait until 22 to pick up a CB there will be slim picking to find an Elite one. However at 22 at WR there are supposed to be a few options still available that have outstanding potential and skills. In round two we may even be able to pick up Burfict to be an opposing force at the Linebacker position(considering his combine performance he may even be around in round 3).

    It's so good to be back, my computer blew up last week and we were able to get a new one yesterday, and man is this one nice! The last one we bought used 5 years ago and it was slooow then but this new one is all like- "Welcome to the 21st Century!" LOL

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I heard the GM of the Rams today say he's looking for 3 #1's for the 2nd pick in the draft. If that's the case, there's no way we move up and I'd be willing to bet that they end up staying at the #2 and picking someone there, in which case RGIII will still be there when we pick 4.

    With so many holes to fill, I think I'm good with staying put at 4 and calling the Rams bluff and see what happens.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Coffee is for closers.

    f jackie......f KONY

  • I heard the GM of the Rams today say he's looking for 3 #1's for the 2nd pick in the draft. If that's the case, there's no way we move up and I'd be willing to bet that they end up staying at the #2 and picking someone there, in which case RGIII will still be there when we pick 4.

    With so many holes to fill, I think I'm good with staying put at 4 and calling the Rams bluff and see what happens.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @mark-o said:

    I heard the GM of the Rams today say he's looking for 3 #1's for the 2nd pick in the draft. If that's the case, there's no way we move up and I'd be willing to bet that they end up staying at the #2 and picking someone there, in which case RGIII will still be there when we pick 4.

    With so many holes to fill, I think I'm good with staying put at 4 and calling the Rams bluff and see what happens.

    I am also looking to win the Lottery tonight, just like the Rams GM is.

    We are both about as likely to get what we are looking for.

  • @mark-o said:

    I heard the GM of the Rams today say he's looking for 3 #1's for the 2nd pick in the draft. If that's the case, there's no way we move up and I'd be willing to bet that they end up staying at the #2 and picking someone there, in which case RGIII will still be there when we pick 4.

    With so many holes to fill, I think I'm good with staying put at 4 and calling the Rams bluff and see what happens.

    I am also looking to win the Lottery tonight, just like the Rams GM is.

    We are both about as likely to get what we are looking for.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    I am also looking to win the Lottery tonight, just like the Rams GM is.

    We are both about as likely to get what we are looking for.

    He got 3 #1's and a #2

    Who's crazy now..

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am also looking to win the Lottery tonight, just like the Rams GM is.

    We are both about as likely to get what we are looking for.

    He got 3 #1's and a #2

    Who's crazy now..

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mark-o said:

    He got 3 #1's and a #2

    Who's crazy now..

    Dan Snyder- but we already knew that. He overpaid by at least one first round pick.

  • B beefjerky wrote on last edited by
    #20

    that's all in baby.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am also looking to win the Lottery tonight, just like the Rams GM is.

    We are both about as likely to get what we are looking for.

    He got 3 #1's and a #2

    Who's crazy now..

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mark-o said:

    He got 3 #1's and a #2

    Who's crazy now..

    Hoorta answered your question for me.