Skip to content

Derek Anderson to be on the trading block "very soon."

The Browns Board
55 21 3.6k
  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #4

    @shepwrite said:

    Yeah, Anderson said he doesn't like Cleveland anymore than Cleveland likes him. Which is kind of like the "C" word with women. You only say it when you don't plan on coming back.

    Braylon also said something to that effect...

    Well for the Browns sake I hope DA doesn't approve any trade to Minnesota.

    With the Vikings coming into Cleveland Browns Stadium next year it could be a real heartbreaker if the Fighting Quinn's are still in the tank.

  • mz. said:

    Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.

    I don't know who this writer is or what his cred it, but it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @lumbergh said:

    I don't know who this writer is or what his cred it

    He's an ex-NFL personnel guy, an ex-GM.

    @lumbergh said:

    but it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    Now that's one way to spin it.

    Shep's analogy works perfectly here.

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #6

    That is a motley crew of free agents there.

  • Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Zombo said:

    Time to look at the Jet's free agents. Guys from the Parcells tree always keep a couple of "their guys" around, especially when they go into a new town:

    Unrestricted Free Agents

    RB Jesse Chatman

    FB Tony Richardson

    PK Jay Feely

    PK Mike Nugent

    DL C.J. Mosley

    LB Eric Barton

    LB Cody Spencer

    SS Abram Elam

    CB Ty Law

    SS J.R. Reed

    Restricted Free Agents

    WR Wallace Wright

    LB Marques Murrell

    Hmmm ... I'm not getting excited. No tight ends. How bout the strong safety, Elam ... he's not bad , is he?

    Zombo

    I'd be looking at the Raiders defensive FAs also. Ryan was well liked and many want the hell out of there.

  • mz. said:

    Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.

    I don't know who this writer is or what his cred it, but it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @lumbergh said:

    ... it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

  • @lumbergh said:

    ... it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

    GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #9

    @oconrecon said:

    I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

    The same could be said of edwards we need a slot 1 reciever with the will to play and the maturity to overcome in the face of defeat not a emo that lets balls sail by to avoid a big hit..

    Braylon convinced me that the 5 hour energy drink actually causes manic depression and the loss of your will to try...😉

  • S Squintz wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Zombo said:

    LB Sam Williams UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

    CB Nnamdi Asomugha UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

    CB Justin Miller UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

    CB Duane Starks UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

    FS Rashad Baker UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

    Aso is the best cornerback in the league ... and will get paid like it.

    Don't know much about Williams or Baker

    Also - what are the chances Nnamdi gets the franchise tag?

  • @lumbergh said:

    ... it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

    medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by medicineman
    #11

    @oconrecon said:

    We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

    It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.

    It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.

    You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.

    What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?

    Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.

    I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.

    By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?

    Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.

    Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.

  • W WilsonTheVolleyball wrote on last edited by
    #12

    The second one is interesting. I do recall a thread some weeks back where everyone seemed to be in agreement that Quinn and Winslow were a pair for instant success. Guess not...

    I sort've do like the idea of getting the cancer out of the locker room. Mangini clearly had to deal with one cancer in New York, so I can understand his feelings on Winslow. Besides, others have performed fairly well in his absences. I wonder what they would be asking for once he's on the blocks.

  • According to Mike Lombardi at National Football Post

    FIVE THINGS I KNOW….

    2. I know that Browns QB Derek Anderson will be on the trading block very soon, and if the Browns are unable to get anyone to take him off their hands, they’ll release him before his roster bonus is due in March.

    3. I know that the Browns will also trade tight end Kellen Winslow this off-season and that he has not been a part of any discussions with coaching candidates.

    Can't say I'm pleased to hear this RE: Winslow. Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.

    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #13

    mz. said:

    Can't say I'm pleased to hear this RE: Winslow. Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.

    Agreed. Unless his body is just completely busted. I thought I remember reading he was due for at least 1 surgery this off-season.

    Or I might be hallucinating.

  • O osusev wrote on last edited by
    #14

    lets hope the DA thing that most fans want does not end up like belicheck and modell. Fans hated them both and obviously they went on to pretty good success in the 2000 era.

  • @lumbergh said:

    I don't know who this writer is or what his cred it

    He's an ex-NFL personnel guy, an ex-GM.

    @lumbergh said:

    but it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.

    Now that's one way to spin it.

    Shep's analogy works perfectly here.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #15

    mz. said:

    Now that's one way to spin it.

    Okay so your "spin" is that with no coaches or GM or staff in place that the outgoing front office people are making decisions on who to trade.

    If this guy actually "KNOWS" anything about Anderson or Winslow, he heard it from their agents and not from Berea.

  • R Riceloft wrote on last edited by Riceloft
    #16

    *edit*

    confused myself

  • @oconrecon said:

    We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.

    It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.

    It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.

    You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.

    What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?

    Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.

    I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.

    By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?

    Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.

    Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.

    N NebBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @medicineman said:

    It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.

    It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.

    You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.

    What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?

    Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.

    I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.

    By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?

    Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.

    Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.

    I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.

  • ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #18

    From the first list... Nugent.

  • @medicineman said:

    It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.

    It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.

    You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.

    What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?

    Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.

    I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.

    By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?

    Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.

    Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.

    I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.

    No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.

    But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.

    So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.

  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #20

    The $5 M is a ROSTER BONUS, and will only hit the cap if he is ON THE ROSTER.

    As for K2....I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be interested in seeing what we can get for him. Here are the facts:

    He is a FA in 2011

    He is a $4.5 M cap hit this year, and $4.75 M next year

    He has been asking for a new contract (Antonio Gates only makes $3.25 M this year...so what does he want?)

    He has chronic knee problems and is likely to continue to LOSE VALUE as time goes on

    We have a plethora of TE's on this team (Heidein/Dinkins/Rucker/Ceislak/Madsen/Collins)...and while I agree they are NOT the receiving option that K2 is at this point...we have plenty of other options available.

    K2 has a bad habit of making bad penalties at crucial times

    K2 has been more than a little disruptive with off field issues during the season

    Despite his chronic knee problems, he is still valuable, and we don't have a 3rd/5th/7th round pick

    We have a new regime who needs to put their stamp on this team

    Add all that together...and figure we can probably get a high 2nd or more for him...and his value is greater in trade than in keeping him here.

    As for Quinn and his supposed connection...the truth is Quinn has had far more reps with Rucker (who is also a receiver type TE).

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.

    No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.

    But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.

    So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.

    N NebBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @lumbergh said:

    No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.

    But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.

    So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.

    Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.

  • @lumbergh said:

    No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.

    But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.

    So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.

    Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3233

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3233

    N NebBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @lumbergh said:

    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3233

    If you look closely at that, I think that guaranteed money total INCLUDES the roster bonuses, which only become guarnteed and a cap hit if he's on the team at the time they are due.