Derek Anderson to be on the trading block "very soon."
-
According to Mike Lombardi at National Football Post
FIVE THINGS I KNOW….
2. I know that Browns QB Derek Anderson will be on the trading block very soon, and if the Browns are unable to get anyone to take him off their hands, they’ll release him before his roster bonus is due in March.
3. I know that the Browns will also trade tight end Kellen Winslow this off-season and that he has not been a part of any discussions with coaching candidates.
Can't say I'm pleased to hear this RE: Winslow. Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.
mz. said:
Can't say I'm pleased to hear this RE: Winslow. Lombardi is generally on, from what I have come to understand.Agreed. Unless his body is just completely busted. I thought I remember reading he was due for at least 1 surgery this off-season.
Or I might be hallucinating.
-
-
I don't know who this writer is or what his cred it
He's an ex-NFL personnel guy, an ex-GM.
but it may be possible that Anderson has already asked to be traded. After the Colts game it certainly seemed like he was ready to get out.
Now that's one way to spin it.
Shep's analogy works perfectly here.
mz. said:
Now that's one way to spin it.Okay so your "spin" is that with no coaches or GM or staff in place that the outgoing front office people are making decisions on who to trade.
If this guy actually "KNOWS" anything about Anderson or Winslow, he heard it from their agents and not from Berea.
-
*edit*
confused myself
-
We can only hope. DA seems like a good guy personally, I hope he does Ok for himself. I do not want he and his price tag on the Browns bench though. The team needs those dollars elsewhere.
It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.
It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.
You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.
What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?
Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.
I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.
By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?
Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.
Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.
It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.
It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.
You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.
What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?
Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.
I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.
By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?
Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.
Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.
I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.
-
-
It's really not any money at all Ocon, DA's money has been factored into the books for a year. That money's already spent, there's essentially nothing anyone can do.
It's 5M cap hit or 5M bonus.
You're paying 5M regardless. I'm not convinced you can just avoid paying by cutting him.
What's Anderson's salary, 1.5M? Isn't that essentially what he would cost.......an additional 1.5 to keep?
Or we spend 5M for Phil's legacy go then go look for one.
I'm not sure this makes much sense, unless someone offers something for him of course.
By NFL standards that's pretty damn cheap-- 1.5M or so?
Bird in the hand, at basement prices should be a no-brainer.
Still, there's the human factor. Will he ever give the city his time again? What a pain in the ass ego is.
I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.
I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.
No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.
But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.
So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.
-
The $5 M is a ROSTER BONUS, and will only hit the cap if he is ON THE ROSTER.
As for K2....I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be interested in seeing what we can get for him. Here are the facts:
He is a FA in 2011
He is a $4.5 M cap hit this year, and $4.75 M next year
He has been asking for a new contract (Antonio Gates only makes $3.25 M this year...so what does he want?)
He has chronic knee problems and is likely to continue to LOSE VALUE as time goes on
We have a plethora of TE's on this team (Heidein/Dinkins/Rucker/Ceislak/Madsen/Collins)...and while I agree they are NOT the receiving option that K2 is at this point...we have plenty of other options available.
K2 has a bad habit of making bad penalties at crucial times
K2 has been more than a little disruptive with off field issues during the season
Despite his chronic knee problems, he is still valuable, and we don't have a 3rd/5th/7th round pick
We have a new regime who needs to put their stamp on this team
Add all that together...and figure we can probably get a high 2nd or more for him...and his value is greater in trade than in keeping him here.
As for Quinn and his supposed connection...the truth is Quinn has had far more reps with Rucker (who is also a receiver type TE).
-
I don't think the 5 mill roster bonus would hit the cap if they cut/trade him before March 1. I don't think that's part of the guaranteed signing bonus. Which is why he will be dealt or cut before its due and which is why its been said that his deal was essentially a one-year deal to prove he was worth it.
No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.
But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.
So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.
No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.
But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.
So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.
-
No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.
But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.
So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees.
-
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3233
If you look closely at that, I think that guaranteed money total INCLUDES the roster bonuses, which only become guarnteed and a cap hit if he's on the team at the time they are due.
-
No the 5 mil isn't part of his 7 mil signing bonus. That's already been paid.
But it wasn't a 1 year deal as many hoped, it was a 3 year deal with 14.5 mil in guarantees.
So after the 7 mil signing bonus and the 1 mil in salary this season, there's another ~6.5 mil in the contract that would get paid to Anderson and applied to the cap if he were cut.
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.
Once again, lummy says something without having all the facts...here is DA's contract for the 1 millionth time:
2/29/2008: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $14.5 million in guarantees, including a $7 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Pro Bowls and performance. 2009: $1.45 million (+ $5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $7.45 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent
His 'guaranteed money' is:
$7M Signing Bonus - PAID
$5M Roster Bonus in 2009 - Due March 1
$2M Roster Bonus in 2010 - Due March 1
I am not sure where the other $.5M is, but basically if we cut him, he has no impact on our cap. If we keep him, he will cost us $6.45M in cap this year...and another $9.45M in 2010.
(for point of reference, even if BQ makes ALL his bonuses, he will cost LESS than $14M through the end of 2011)
-
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3233
If you look closely at that, I think that guaranteed money total INCLUDES the roster bonuses, which only become guarnteed and a cap hit if he's on the team at the time they are due.
If you look closely at that, I think that guaranteed money total INCLUDES the roster bonuses, which only become guarnteed and a cap hit if he's on the team at the time they are due.
If the roster bonuses are guaranteed then they will be paid to him whether or not he is on the team. That's what guarantee means. The word guarantee is not ambiguous in any way and can be applied to any part of anybody's contract and it will still mean the same thing.
By the way, I've heard that 2/3 of the salary is actually guaranteed, not the roster bonuses.
Either way he's got 14.5 mil guaranteed and he's only been paid 8. So they can't get out of the deal without coughing up another 6.5 mil.
-
If you look closely at that, I think that guaranteed money total INCLUDES the roster bonuses, which only become guarnteed and a cap hit if he's on the team at the time they are due.
If the roster bonuses are guaranteed then they will be paid to him whether or not he is on the team. That's what guarantee means. The word guarantee is not ambiguous in any way and can be applied to any part of anybody's contract and it will still mean the same thing.
By the way, I've heard that 2/3 of the salary is actually guaranteed, not the roster bonuses.
Either way he's got 14.5 mil guaranteed and he's only been paid 8. So they can't get out of the deal without coughing up another 6.5 mil.
If the roster bonuses are guaranteed then they will be paid to him whether or not he is on the team. That's what guarantee means. The word guarantee is not ambiguous in any way and can be applied to any part of anybody's contract and it will still mean the same thing.
By the way, I've heard that 2/3 of the salary is actually guaranteed, not the roster bonuses.
Either way he's got 14.5 mil guaranteed and he's only been paid 8. So they can't get out of the deal without coughing up another 6.5 mil.
Believe that if you want. It will be a lot clearer by March 1st, and I'm bettin that the remainder of the 14.5 does not impact the cap.
-
Show me something that says its 14.5 mill in guarantees. I don't think there is anymore "guaranteed" money past the 7 or so mill, other than the "guaranteed" roster bonus IF he is on the team come March 1.
Once again, lummy says something without having all the facts...here is DA's contract for the 1 millionth time:
2/29/2008: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $14.5 million in guarantees, including a $7 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Pro Bowls and performance. 2009: $1.45 million (+ $5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $7.45 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent
His 'guaranteed money' is:
$7M Signing Bonus - PAID
$5M Roster Bonus in 2009 - Due March 1
$2M Roster Bonus in 2010 - Due March 1
I am not sure where the other $.5M is, but basically if we cut him, he has no impact on our cap. If we keep him, he will cost us $6.45M in cap this year...and another $9.45M in 2010.
(for point of reference, even if BQ makes ALL his bonuses, he will cost LESS than $14M through the end of 2011)
His 'guaranteed money' is:
$7M Signing Bonus - PAID
$5M Roster Bonus in 2009 - Due March 1
$2M Roster Bonus in 2010 - Due March 1
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
-
His 'guaranteed money' is:
$7M Signing Bonus - PAID
$5M Roster Bonus in 2009 - Due March 1
$2M Roster Bonus in 2010 - Due March 1
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
That makes absolutely NO SENSE...and no GM would EVER back end GUARANTEED MONEY. It is exactly what a GM would NOT DO.
So, instead of just saying you heard it...how about posting where it came from. Mine is from Rotoworld.com and they have the contract details of EVERY NFL PLAYER.
-
His 'guaranteed money' is:
$7M Signing Bonus - PAID
$5M Roster Bonus in 2009 - Due March 1
$2M Roster Bonus in 2010 - Due March 1
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
I'm sure the Roster Bonus is guaranteed. If he's still on the roster. Hence 'Roster Bonus'.
-
FYI I think you are showing the wrong parts guaranteed.
Here's what I have heard is guaranteed:
Roster bonus of 7 mil.
2008 salary of 1 mil.
~1 mil of the 2009 salary.
~5 mil of the 2010 salary.
That makes absolutely NO SENSE...and no GM would EVER back end GUARANTEED MONEY. It is exactly what a GM would NOT DO.
So, instead of just saying you heard it...how about posting where it came from. Mine is from Rotoworld.com and they have the contract details of EVERY NFL PLAYER.
Mine is from Rotoworld.com and they have the contract details of EVERY NFL PLAYER.
rotoworld doesn't say what parts are guaranteed.
My info is from an "inside source" as Tony Grossi would say, but it's more reputable than your assumptions.
And lemosely, guaranteed doesn't mean it's only paid if you're on the team. Hell if he's on the roster then he won't just get the roster bonuses, he'll get all 24 million in the contract.
Guaranteed means it's paid if you're on the team or not. And 14.5 of that 24 mil is guaranteed.
Feel free to consult your Funk & Wagnals dictionary if you need any further clarification on the definition of the word "guaranteed"
-
OK, OK.
Pay him whatever.
Just trade him and get something besides a turnover machine.
-
@shepwrite said:
Everyone and his mother in the media has reported that Anderson's looming 5 mill bonus will force the Browns to move him or cut him before then. We've cut and pasted it from a dozen sources local and national. The one and only person on earth who is covering his ears and eyes to that is Lum.It's a ROSTER BONUS. That means he gets it if he's on the roster.
hey shep go check the watercooler at OBR. The top thread. Let me know what it says.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login