Trent Richardson
-
Compare the HOF RBs draft selection positions to those of the QBs:
#1 Bradshaw
#1 Elway
#1 Aikman
#1 Namath, in AFL draft, taken #12 in NFL draft
#1 Steve Young in Supplemental Draft
#2 Sid Luckman
#3 Bobby Layne
#4 Bob Griese
#4 Otto Graham (by Lions in NFL, signed as FA with AAFC)
#5 Len Dawson
#6 Y.A. Tittle
#6 Sammy Baugh
#13 Ace Parker
#14 Jim Kelly
#27 Marino
#29 Tarkenton
#37 Van Brocklin
#42 Bob Waterfield
#43 Sonny Jurgenson
#82 Joe Montana
#84 Dan Fouts
#102 John Unitas
#119 George Blanda
#129 Roger Staubach (4 year Navy commitment depressed his draft position)
#200 Bart Starr
FA Warren Moon
It appears to me that a team is more likely to find a HOF caliber lower in the draft than they are a HOF caliber RB.
-
I've been on record on being in love with Trent. I honestly think the guy has more ability and talent than AP not to mention he played in the toughest division against high caliber talent consistently. I also think after RGIII, Luck and Kalil he's the best best prospect in this draft. I'm on the side of saying taking a RB that high is dangerous, but don't doubt this guy's ability. He could be an immediate game changer player for the browns should we decide to take him.
-
Look where many of the RBs in the HOF are picked, most high in the first round. In fact, here is the draft selection order of all the RBs in the HOF:
#1 Earl Campbell
#1 OJ Simpson
#1 Charley Trippi
#1 Paul Hornung
#1 Bill Dudley
#2 George McAfee
#2 Eric Dickerson
#2 Marshall Faulk
#2 Tony Dorsett
#3 Barry Sanders
#3 Doak Walker
#3 Ollie Matson
#4 Walter Payton
#4 Gale Sayers
#5 Steve Van Buren
#6 Jim Brown
#6 John Riggins
#6 Floyd Little
#8 Larry Csonka
#9 Lenny Moore
#9 Hugh McElhenny
#10 Marcus Allen
#11 Frank Gifford
#13 Franco Harris
#15 Jim Taylor
#17 Emmitt Smith
#18 John Henry Johnson
#18 Tuffy Leemans
#40 Thurman Thomas
#74 Curtis Martin
#77 Tony Canadeo
#84 Bobby Mitchell
#110 Leroy Kelly
FA: Marion Motley
FA: Joe Perry
Perry and Motley were those WWII era, black players that the NFL shyed away from, but which the AAFC did not. That is why they are undrafted FAs.
So, based on this I would say that if you want a Hall of Fame caliber RB, best to draft them very high in the first round.
Today's game and even the game as recently as Emmitt Smith played are two different animals.
Today's game and even the game as recently as Emmitt Smith played are two different animals.
A damned good runner is a damned good runner, I don't care when they played.
Sure, even back in "olden days" a damn good runner didn't guarantee anything in the way of victory. OJ never won a title, Campbell never did. Dickerson, Sanders, Sayers, Johnson, many didn't win titles.
But even those who did were all part of a good overall team.
So, no, there is no guarantee that a fabulous runner will win you a title.
But it sure helps.
-
-
Imagine yourself a Redskins fan... you're just a sour RG3 fanboy... or possibly RG3-to-da-CLE in secret.
Imagine yourself a Redskins fan... you're just a sour RG3 fanboy... or possibly RG3-to-da-CLE in secret.

youre quite seriously, Retarded. calling me a fanboy whilst posting in several threads about your richardson man-crush? seriously, how stupid can you possibly be?
besides...im down for flynn....good luck finding any posts of me lamenting losing griffin. imagine that...resorting to charcter posts when you cant argue a football point. you kids make this shit too easy.
-
Imagine yourself a Redskins fan... you're just a sour RG3 fanboy... or possibly RG3-to-da-CLE in secret.

youre quite seriously, Retarded. calling me a fanboy whilst posting in several threads about your richardson man-crush? seriously, how stupid can you possibly be?
besides...im down for flynn....good luck finding any posts of me lamenting losing griffin. imagine that...resorting to charcter posts when you cant argue a football point. you kids make this shit too easy.

youre quite seriously, Retarded. calling me a fanboy whilst posting in several threads about your richardson man-crush? seriously, how stupid can you possibly be?
besides...im down for flynn....good luck finding any posts of me lamenting losing griffin. imagine that...resorting to charcter posts when you cant argue a football point. you kids make this shit too easy.
...Flynn, give me a break. What's your deal? McCoy is our QB and he will do fine this year with a TRIPLE A runningback and some time in THIS system. Colt is a winner and I think you should get off his back and off the jock of any QB NOT named McCoy.
-
Let's look at potential HOFers at both positions:
RBs:
Tomlinson #5
Bettis #10
Edg. James #4
Adrian Peterson #7
Any others?
QBs:
Favre #33
P. Manning #1
E. Manning #1
Brees #32
Brady #199
Warner FA
McNabb #2
Bledsoe #1
Testaverde #1
Ben Roethlisberger #11
Any others?
I agree with this: It is possible/probable that more QBs in the future will be given HOF consideration than RBs will in the future....what with all the inflated numbers that QBs are putting up.
The test for QBs in the future will likely be wins/titles. That is why Bledsoe and Testaverde, despite outstanding overall career numbers, may not get much HOF run. Neither of them were ever considered really among the elite QBs of their eras.
RBs may still live and die on overall numbers.
-
Could you even fathom Richardson running behind a menacing FB like Vickers? Look what Vickers did for Jamall Lewis... for Peyton Hillis... for Arian Foster... come on now, what would defenses do against the power running game that Vickers and Richardson could bring?
I don't want to hear a damn thing about scheme or that Vickers can't catch... WE ALL saw what happened to Marecic. That kid couldn't block, catch or run straight...
-
Could you even fathom Richardson running behind a menacing FB like Vickers? Look what Vickers did for Jamall Lewis... for Peyton Hillis... for Arian Foster... come on now, what would defenses do against the power running game that Vickers and Richardson could bring?
I don't want to hear a damn thing about scheme or that Vickers can't catch... WE ALL saw what happened to Marecic. That kid couldn't block, catch or run straight...
Could you even fathom Richardson running behind a menacing FB like Vickers? Look what Vickers did for Jamall Lewis... for Peyton Hillis... for Arian Foster... come on now, what would defenses do against the power running game that Vickers and Richardson could bring?
I don't want to hear a damn thing about scheme or that Vickers can't catch... WE ALL saw what happened to Marecic. That kid couldn't block, catch or run straight...
Hello! McFly! Is anybody home?
This front office is not going to bring back any of its disjecta membra.
Vickers is not one of "their guys", that is perhaps why the departed from him in the first place.
-
In my opinion I really see the draft going in 2 ways. Either the Browns go Richardson at 4 and Kendall Wright/Alshon Jeffery/or best WR available at 22. OR they take Blackmon at 4 and Lamar Miller/David Wilson/Best RB available at 22. So it's kind of pick your poison and I don't think there's truly a wrong choice.
-
It was my understanding that they were open to the idea of resigning Vickers. That all changed when they drafted Marecic, but since Marecic didn't pan out the way they had hoped maybe they ought to revisit the original decision. Beside, Vickers would come back to Cleveland in a heartbeat... at a reduced rate at that, most likely. Just tell him he'll be run blocking for an up-n-coming TR3 and the deal is sealed.
-
In my opinion I really see the draft going in 2 ways. Either the Browns go Richardson at 4 and Kendall Wright/Alshon Jeffery/or best WR available at 22. OR they take Blackmon at 4 and Lamar Miller/David Wilson/Best RB available at 22. So it's kind of pick your poison and I don't think there's truly a wrong choice.
In my opinion I really see the draft going in 2 ways. Either the Browns go Richardson at 4 and Kendall Wright/Alshon Jeffery/or best WR available at 22. OR they take Blackmon at 4 and Lamar Miller/David Wilson/Best RB available at 22. So it's kind of pick your poison and I don't think there's truly a wrong choice.
Unless, of course, they decide to go for defense.....or they fall in love with Tannehill.
Nevertheless, you make sense.
-
In my opinion I really see the draft going in 2 ways. Either the Browns go Richardson at 4 and Kendall Wright/Alshon Jeffery/or best WR available at 22. OR they take Blackmon at 4 and Lamar Miller/David Wilson/Best RB available at 22. So it's kind of pick your poison and I don't think there's truly a wrong choice.
In my opinion I really see the draft going in 2 ways. Either the Browns go Richardson at 4 and Kendall Wright/Alshon Jeffery/or best WR available at 22. OR they take Blackmon at 4 and Lamar Miller/David Wilson/Best RB available at 22. So it's kind of pick your poison and I don't think there's truly a wrong choice.
God I hope its not Alshon "i love big macs" Jeffery.. Im on the Blackmon/Wilson train.. I still have a funny feeling Ingram is a possibility@4
-
I've been on record on being in love with Trent. I honestly think the guy has more ability and talent than AP not to mention he played in the toughest division against high caliber talent consistently. I also think after RGIII, Luck and Kalil he's the best best prospect in this draft. I'm on the side of saying taking a RB that high is dangerous, but don't doubt this guy's ability. He could be an immediate game changer player for the browns should we decide to take him.
I've been on record on being in love with Trent. I honestly think the guy has more ability and talent than AP not to mention he played in the toughest division against high caliber talent consistently. I also think after RGIII, Luck and Kalil he's the best best prospect in this draft. I'm on the side of saying taking a RB that high is dangerous, but don't doubt this guy's ability. He could be an immediate game changer player for the browns should we decide to take him.
Trent has more ability and talent then AP? Wow just wow.
-
If we can do a trade with the Rams where we go to #6 still get Trent and get their 2nd rounder I AM ALL IN and i think the BROWNS too...if no sale then i think we may take Blackmon who i am not a fan of at all.
who i wouldn't be upset getting
QB
Tannehill 2nd round Cousins 3rd
RB
Trent 1st Wilson 2nd Turbin 3rd
WR
Floyd 1st, Streeter, 2nd Mcnutt late 3rd
CB
Gilmore 2nd, Cotty 5th, J. Jackson supplemental
This is going to be a GREAT DRAFT!
also saw we tendered norwood...so do we need another slot reciever like blackmon?
Trent, Floyd, Gilmore Mcnutt, Cousins wouldn't be to bad in the first few picks
-
If we can do a trade with the Rams where we go to #6 still get Trent and get their 2nd rounder I AM ALL IN and i think the BROWNS too...if no sale then i think we may take Blackmon who i am not a fan of at all.
who i wouldn't be upset getting
QB
Tannehill 2nd round Cousins 3rd
RB
Trent 1st Wilson 2nd Turbin 3rd
WR
Floyd 1st, Streeter, 2nd Mcnutt late 3rd
CB
Gilmore 2nd, Cotty 5th, J. Jackson supplemental
This is going to be a GREAT DRAFT!
also saw we tendered norwood...so do we need another slot reciever like blackmon?
Trent, Floyd, Gilmore Mcnutt, Cousins wouldn't be to bad in the first few picks
If we can do a trade with the Rams where we go to #6 still get Trent and get their 2nd rounder I AM ALL IN and i think the BROWNS too...if no sale then i think we may take Blackmon who i am not a fan of at all.
who i wouldn't be upset getting
QB
Tannehill 2nd round Cousins 3rd
Trent 1st Wilson 2nd Turbin 3rd
Floyd 1st, Streeter, 2nd Mcnutt late 3rd
also saw we tendered norwood...so do we need another slot reciever like blackmon?
Trent, Floyd, Gilmore Mcnutt, Cousins wouldn't be to bad in the first few picks
How do you figure Blackmon as a slot receiver? Because he's 6'1?
-
If we can do a trade with the Rams where we go to #6 still get Trent and get their 2nd rounder I AM ALL IN and i think the BROWNS too...if no sale then i think we may take Blackmon who i am not a fan of at all.
who i wouldn't be upset getting
QB
Tannehill 2nd round Cousins 3rd
Trent 1st Wilson 2nd Turbin 3rd
Floyd 1st, Streeter, 2nd Mcnutt late 3rd
also saw we tendered norwood...so do we need another slot reciever like blackmon?
Trent, Floyd, Gilmore Mcnutt, Cousins wouldn't be to bad in the first few picks
How do you figure Blackmon as a slot receiver? Because he's 6'1?
How do you figure Blackmon as a slot receiver? Because he's 6'1?
Cause apparently anyone one any size any speed would make a great slot receiver according to people on this board. Slot receiver, short quick/fast WR with above average hands. The team's #1 wr might put into the slot in 2+ wr sets, but has to still be able to be good on the outside. You don't draft a #1 wr to play slot.
-
I've been on record on being in love with Trent. I honestly think the guy has more ability and talent than AP not to mention he played in the toughest division against high caliber talent consistently. I also think after RGIII, Luck and Kalil he's the best best prospect in this draft. I'm on the side of saying taking a RB that high is dangerous, but don't doubt this guy's ability. He could be an immediate game changer player for the browns should we decide to take him.
Trent has more ability and talent then AP? Wow just wow.
Trent has more ability and talent then AP? Wow just wow.
He's coming out of college just as strong, fast, a scouted better blocker, ran behind ingram and still dominated, played in the SEC against 1st round NFL talent, doesn't have the wear and tear of being a 4 year starter, and doesn't have near an injury history. But he's nowhere near AP right? He's just as good as AP coming out of college and in fact is scouted higher than he was. I get AP has proven it in the NFL but this guy is just like AP with more to offer.
Man I swear some people on here are clueless.
-
I'd be 3000% content with Richardson and any one of these receivers in the first round. Blackmon. Hill. Wright. Jeffries. Floyd. In no particular order after Blackmon. Obviously he's the first choice.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
