Skip to content

The Running Back Conundrum (Richardson Thread)

The Browns Board
102 27 5.0k
  • Cleveland Browns

    Update: Trent Richardson impostor flirts with idea of playing for Browns

    By Nate UlrichPublished: April 7, 2012

    Someone posing as Alabama running back Trent Richardson has been using Twitter this week to make it seem as if the real draft prospect has been flirting with the possibility of playing for the Browns.

    The account -- @trentrich03 -- has more than 16,000 followers, but is fake, according to Josh Maxson, an associate communications director for the University of Alabama's athletic department.

    "It is not real," Maxson wrote in an e-mail to the Beacon Journal. "Trent does not have a Twitter (account) and isn't planning on getting one."

    The tweets from the impostor have become topics of conversation on Cleveland sports talk radio and the blogosphere.

    I was a victim of this prank, too, because I posted messages from the fake account on this blog earlier today. After some of my Twitter followers mentioned they thought it might be a fraud, I sought a definitive answer. I apologize to all of my readers for creating any confusion.

    The real Richardson, a candidate to be picked fourth overall by the Browns on April 26, reportedly visited the team earlier this week.

    Here are some tweets from the fake account that got Browns fans riled up:

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Had a great time in Cleveland. Its in God's hands now

    4 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    S/o to everyone in Buc Nation! It was nice to be back in Florida

    5 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Not gonna lie, Pewter & Red a nice combo. Florida love

    5 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Love the brownie mascot. Bring back the elf

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    twitpic.com/96jeny

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Got no idea where I'm gonna be next year. Just a hat I got on my visit

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    My favorite color Brown, no pun intended

    7 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Damn Imposters! 😆 I didn't think he had an account...

    Oh well, still hopeful that the FO makes the right decision...

    @poeticg said:

    Cleveland Browns

    Update: Trent Richardson impostor flirts with idea of playing for Browns

    By Nate UlrichPublished: April 7, 2012

    Someone posing as Alabama running back Trent Richardson has been using Twitter this week to make it seem as if the real draft prospect has been flirting with the possibility of playing for the Browns.

    The account -- @trentrich03 -- has more than 16,000 followers, but is fake, according to Josh Maxson, an associate communications director for the University of Alabama's athletic department.

    "It is not real," Maxson wrote in an e-mail to the Beacon Journal. "Trent does not have a Twitter (account) and isn't planning on getting one."

    The tweets from the impostor have become topics of conversation on Cleveland sports talk radio and the blogosphere.

    I was a victim of this prank, too, because I posted messages from the fake account on this blog earlier today. After some of my Twitter followers mentioned they thought it might be a fraud, I sought a definitive answer. I apologize to all of my readers for creating any confusion.

    The real Richardson, a candidate to be picked fourth overall by the Browns on April 26, reportedly visited the team earlier this week.

    Here are some tweets from the fake account that got Browns fans riled up:

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Had a great time in Cleveland. Its in God's hands now

    4 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    S/o to everyone in Buc Nation! It was nice to be back in Florida

    5 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Not gonna lie, Pewter & Red a nice combo. Florida love

    5 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Love the brownie mascot. Bring back the elf

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    twitpic.com/96jeny

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    Got no idea where I'm gonna be next year. Just a hat I got on my visit

    6 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    Trent Richardson@TrentRich03

    My favorite color Brown, no pun intended

    7 Apr 12 Reply

    Retweet

    Favorite

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Damn Imposters! 😆 I didn't think he had an account...

    Oh well, still hopeful that the FO makes the right decision...

    Well he doesn't use twitter so I like him that much more. If he doesn't use facebook I'm just about sold. Like I said earlier or in a different thread if he can bring Brownie back, along with the lack of a twitter account I'll do a cannonball onto the Richardson bandwagon.

  • I still say its real...way to many private photos and the boarding pass...unless its his cuz or something....plus why would Alabama AD know he doesn't have an account...what if you have a twitter or facebbok account you have to tell the school...probably the AD is the imposter

  • Do not ruin the thread with personal attacks. Either post something about the subject matter or join another thread and do your bashing there.

    Link: http://theonsidekickpodcast.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/2012-nfl-draft-player-profile-trent-richardson/

    2012 NFL Draft Player Profile: Trent Richardson

    April 7, 2012

    By: Ricky Widmer

    There seems to be no disagreements that Trent Richardson of Alabama is the best running back going into the 2012 NFL Draft. Of course, the last image many football fans have of Trent Richardson was that exciting BCS National Championship game where he ran for 96 yards in the 21-0 win over LSU. Richardson had a very nice junior year at Alabama with 1679 rushing yards and 21 rushing touchdowns. I am going to break down Trent Richardson and discuss his strengths and weakness. Then, I might surprise you when I say which NFL team will bag the #1 running back in the 2012 NFL Draft.

    When looking at Trent Richardson, his biggest strength is his size, bulk, and build. Richardson is explosive, powerful, and even balanced. Upon doing some research on Trent Richardson, some people have said that Richardson is the best running back in the draft since Adrian Peterson (7th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft). This might be true, but Richardson is a very different type of runner than Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings. I say this because I see Richardson as a “between the tackle” kind of runner. Because of his patience while running, Richardson is one of the best when it comes to waiting for the hole to open and then exploding through the hole. Also, he has the ability to use his size, bulk, and build to power through defenders and can break tackles better than any running back in the 2012 NFL Draft. That’s not all as his size and build can help with his blocks as he gets under the blitzer to get leverage. Richardson can also be used in screen plays especially on third-downs. His only weakness is that he needs a good blocking scheme in front of him to make the most out of his rushes. He has the talent to make plays on his own, but because of his patience he will rush more effectively if there is a good blocking scheme ahead of him. Remember that at Alabama Trent Richardson ran behind a very experienced offensive line.

    Who will land Trent Richardson? I believe Richardson will be a top-5 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. With the first two picks already figured out and the Minnesota Vikings at 3rd overall not needing a running back, I feel it comes down to the Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There is no doubting that both of these teams would love to have Trent Richardson on their roster. The Browns are in need of many things going into the 2012 NFL Draft and the running back position is one of them. With the loss of Peyton Hillis to free agency, the Browns do need a running back that has the talent to step right in and be the starter. However, they also need a cornerback and a quarterback. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not in as big of need at the running back position as the Cleveland Browns because they do have LeGarrette Blount, but they would take Trent Richardson if he was still available at the 5th pick overall. In my opinion, I see Trent Richardson going to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the 5th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The reason I say that is because I personally see the Cleveland Browns selecting Ryan Tannehill with the 4th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. I feel like the Browns will think and talk over the options of Tannehill and Richardson, but will come to the decision that the teams needs a leader for the offense and someone who can run the offense. Also, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could either use Trent Richardson as a everyday back or as a third-down back behind LeGarrette Blount.

    @poeticg said:

    Do not ruin the thread with personal attacks. Either post something about the subject matter or join another thread and do your bashing there.

    Link: http://theonsidekickpodcast.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/2012-nfl-draft-player-profile-trent-richardson/

    2012 NFL Draft Player Profile: Trent Richardson

    April 7, 2012

    By: Ricky Widmer

    There seems to be no disagreements that Trent Richardson of Alabama is the best running back going into the 2012 NFL Draft. Of course, the last image many football fans have of Trent Richardson was that exciting BCS National Championship game where he ran for 96 yards in the 21-0 win over LSU. Richardson had a very nice junior year at Alabama with 1679 rushing yards and 21 rushing touchdowns. I am going to break down Trent Richardson and discuss his strengths and weakness. Then, I might surprise you when I say which NFL team will bag the #1 running back in the 2012 NFL Draft.

    When looking at Trent Richardson, his biggest strength is his size, bulk, and build. Richardson is explosive, powerful, and even balanced. Upon doing some research on Trent Richardson, some people have said that Richardson is the best running back in the draft since Adrian Peterson (7th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft). This might be true, but Richardson is a very different type of runner than Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings. I say this because I see Richardson as a “between the tackle” kind of runner. Because of his patience while running, Richardson is one of the best when it comes to waiting for the hole to open and then exploding through the hole. Also, he has the ability to use his size, bulk, and build to power through defenders and can break tackles better than any running back in the 2012 NFL Draft. That’s not all as his size and build can help with his blocks as he gets under the blitzer to get leverage. Richardson can also be used in screen plays especially on third-downs. His only weakness is that he needs a good blocking scheme in front of him to make the most out of his rushes. He has the talent to make plays on his own, but because of his patience he will rush more effectively if there is a good blocking scheme ahead of him. Remember that at Alabama Trent Richardson ran behind a very experienced offensive line.

    Who will land Trent Richardson? I believe Richardson will be a top-5 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. With the first two picks already figured out and the Minnesota Vikings at 3rd overall not needing a running back, I feel it comes down to the Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There is no doubting that both of these teams would love to have Trent Richardson on their roster. The Browns are in need of many things going into the 2012 NFL Draft and the running back position is one of them. With the loss of Peyton Hillis to free agency, the Browns do need a running back that has the talent to step right in and be the starter. However, they also need a cornerback and a quarterback. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not in as big of need at the running back position as the Cleveland Browns because they do have LeGarrette Blount, but they would take Trent Richardson if he was still available at the 5th pick overall. In my opinion, I see Trent Richardson going to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the 5th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The reason I say that is because I personally see the Cleveland Browns selecting Ryan Tannehill with the 4th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. I feel like the Browns will think and talk over the options of Tannehill and Richardson, but will come to the decision that the teams needs a leader for the offense and someone who can run the offense. Also, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could either use Trent Richardson as a everyday back or as a third-down back behind LeGarrette Blount.

    So we have Thomas and Mack. Then...Lavauo and Pinkston and no one at RT... So, our interior line is probably below average in the league and we have no RT. According to the article T. Rich needs great blocking to succeed between the tackles (he is not going to run over many DTs, DEs or LBs in the NFL). I just dont see us being effectively able to utilize Richardson without spending numerous high picks on our O line as well. If he is not going to have success between the tackles then we might as well wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to pick a RB to adequately take us through this season and next without having to worry nearly as much about our #4 pick being injured...

  • The point is, Who the fuck cares if every muthafucking position is filled with the perfect player. This is an ONGOING PROCESS!!! We can take our Runningback NOW and then continue to build this muthafucker the rest of the way the rest of the way! God damnit, why is this so hard to understand? We will not have another chance to take an ELITE FUCKING RUNNINGBACK like Richardson for a long, long time... and do you know why? Because, runningbacks like Richardson only come around once in a blue moon. Lineman, QB's, DB's and WR's are there for the taking EVERY FUCKING YEAR!

    For all the doubters and naysayers and people who think I'm fucking crazy, here this:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1141357-nfl-draft-2012-cleveland-browns-rumored-to-have-interest-in-vontaze-burfict

    According to Mark Sessler of NFL.com, the Cleveland Browns are showing interest in one of the most controversial prospects in the entire 2012 NFL Draft. Vontaze Burfict was once a top 15 prospect for the upcoming draft before a poor combine showing and weak interview process pushed him back to a second or third day selection.

    The Browns currently have thirteen draft picks at their disposal and it is not surprising that they would be willing to take a risk on a huge upside player. Burfict has had plenty of issues throughout the draft process and has even been labeled undraftable by some of the top experts in the league.

    However, on-field production speaks louder that interviews and in some cases it is worth the risk on a young player with great talent. Burfict was a dominating linebacker at Arizona State and imposed his will week after week with a stellar run defense. Burfict had 40 solo tackles in 2011 and compiled seven tackles for a loss combined with five sacks.

    The Browns would be in a good position to draft Burfict because of the current state of the defense and the fact that they already have an established middle linebacker in place. Burfict would have the opportunity to sit behind D'Qwell Jackson for the next few seasons and hopefully develop into a player that can be productive. It is that type of player that teams hope for late in the draft because of a weakened talent pool.

    According to Sessler's article "The Browns have shown interest in drafting Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict, multiple sources told told ESPN Cleveland on Tuesday. "(Burfict) would be a late-round value pick""

    Cleveland will likely be looking for additional linebackers in the later rounds of the draft due to injury concerns and age factor. Burfict will be one of the most controversial picks of the entire NFL draft, but could be a diamond in the rough for a team willing to risk adding him to their club.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I've been calling for Vontaze and Minnifield since the get go, along with Trent...

    Trent Richardson

    Best WR/OL

    Best OL/WR

    Chase Minnifield

    Vontaze Burfict

    Read em and weep boys....

  • are you gonna post every irrelevant writers musings that agree with your viewpoint? a fan-writer sourcing an nfl.com guy saying we're interested in the biggest disappointment in this years draft?

    40 tackles? sounds like a fucking monster to me... 🙄

  • are you gonna post every irrelevant writers musings that agree with your viewpoint? a fan-writer sourcing an nfl.com guy saying we're interested in the biggest disappointment in this years draft?

    40 tackles? sounds like a fucking monster to me... 🙄

    @choco said:

    are you gonna post every irrelevant writers musings that agree with your viewpoint? a fan-writer sourcing an nfl.com guy saying we're interested in the biggest disappointment in this years draft?

    40 tackles? sounds like a fucking monster to me... 🙄

    Maybe. Are you ever going to write a complete and correct sentence?

  • Here's an article from another "irrelevant" writer named Steve Doerschuk, chocobo, you fuckface.

    LINK: http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x403921978/NFL-Draft-analyst-says-Richardson-could-be-rookie-of-the-year

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    By Steve Doerschuk

    CantonRep.com staff writer

    Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 03:01 PM

    The ex-Browns have an All-Pro in their backfield in Ray Rice.

    A leading draft analyst thinks Trent Richardson could become the current Browns’ Ray Rice.

    “They’re comparable,” Pro Football Weekly’s lead draft scout, Nolan Nawrocki, said in a national conference call today. “Richardson is bigger and obviously has more strength. Rice runs lower to the ground.”

    The 5-foot-8, 212-pound Rice was a Round 2 steal in 2008 who led the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2011.

    The 5-foot-9, 228-pound Richardson is rated behind only Andrew Luck and Morris Claiborne on the Pro Football Weekly draft board. Nawrocki sees Richardson as an obvious fit for the Browns at No. 4 overall.

    “In terms of toughness,” Nawrocki said, “they don’t come much tougher than Ray Rice or Trent Richardson.”

    When The Repository asked Nawrocki if it is obvious that Richardson would be preferable, on a talent level, to Pittsburgh’s feature back, 2008 Round 1 pick Rashard Mendenhall, Nawrocki didn’t hesitate.

    “To me, coming out of college, Mendenhall was too soft,” Nawrocki said. “I think he’s shown it in the NFL. I never thought he was a great fit for that division. I’m not sure he has a future in Pittsburgh.”

    Nawrocki said Richardson’s future is bright — and starts now.

    “There’s a good chance Trent Richardson is going to be rookie of the year,” Nawrocki said, “no matter what team he goes to.”

    The well-connected Nawrocki has been making the rounds through the league as draft anticipation builds.

    “I talked to a GM this morning who said he thought there will be more busts across the board than in any draft in recent years,” Nawrocki said. “The big reason teams are going to overdraft on need and on hype.”

    Browns fans have digested a line of thinking that the Browns will take Richardson or wideout Justin Blackmon if they stay at No. 4 overall. Nawrocki is extremely suspicious of Blackmon as being worth that price.

    “To me, Richardson grades out considerably higher than Blackmon,” Nawrocki said. “There are GMs who have graded him in the second round ... they do not believe he has the speed after watching every stitch of tape on him in the last two years.

    “He’s not especially physical, and he’s not a blazer.”

    Nawrocki cited “red flags” as to Blackmon’s maturity, including “concerns raised to me recently.” One that stood out: Rather than taking a charter flight back to school after Oklahoma State’s bowl win over Stanford ...

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Are you THAT jealous of me that you REFUSE to listen to any sound reasoning that I propose? It seems that if I stated the world was round, you'd say something stupid like a child would, something like, "Nahuh, it looks flat to me, you's a dummy!"... Dude, really?

  • Here's Jon Gruden's take on Cleveland going to Richardson...hmmm, sound familiar?

    Link: http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=884

    ESPN analyst Jon Gruden says Trent Richardson a better pick for Browns over Justin Blackmon

    Apr 11, 2012 -- 12:17pm

    By Tony Grossi

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Add Jon Gruden to the Trent Richardson bandwagon.

    The former NFL coach, ESPN analyst and good friend of Mike Holmgren held a conference call today. I asked him if Cleveland is committed to supporting quarterback Colt McCoy, which player would do it better – Richardson, the running back from Alabama, or Justin Blackmon, the wideout from Oklahoma State.

    “The easiest thing to do is turn around and hand the ball to somebody 300 times a year,” Gruden said. “Everybody says, ‘Don’t take a running back. You can get those guys in the fifth, sixth or seventh round. You go try to find Trent Richardson in the fifth, sixth or seventh round.

    “He’s a beast. He broke all of Emmitt Smith’s high school rushing records in Florida. I’ve seen him run over people, run around people, he protects the ball, he can catch it, can pick up blitzes. He might be the strongest human being on the planet. I think his weightlifting proves that. He was a team captain of a two-time national championship team.

    “No disrespect to Blackmon, but Adrian Peterson and Trent Richardson as prospects kind of remind me of each other. Maybe A.P. had a little bit more home-run speed. But these are punishing, difference-maker backs.

    “I think Richardson, with Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly, the history of great backs in Clevealnd, I think that would be pretty neat.

    It’s not as if Gruden doesn’t like Blackmon, either.

    “If you don’t like Justin Blackmon, you don’t like football,” he said. “There’s not a lot you can’t like about Blackmon. The one thing is I thought he was 6-6, 240 pounds when I watched him. He’s not as big as I thought he was and he didn’t run the blinding time. But he fits any offense. He’s smart, and he’s clutch.”

    For the record, Blackmon measured a shade under 6-1 and weighed 207 at the NFL combine.

    Later in the call Gruden speculated the Browns would add to McCoy’s supporting cast rather than select Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden to compete with him.

    “Obviously, he’s got to continue to get better and I think improving the supporting cast would help any quarterback, let alone Colt.”

    Team Richardson= 11,777,246 votes

    Other players @ 4= Mary Kay and 11 other armchair QBs...

  • The words....attention whore...come to mind.

  • The word "homo" comes to mind as well.

  • Why would you call Jon Gruden a homo... or attention whore for that matter?

  • What's Up Dogg Pound?!??!?

    Two weeks from tonight! I cannot wait to glimpse into are future. ANYONE BUT TANNEHILL!!!!

    Anyway, the guys at SPORTSMASHER just released another mocj draft (version 4.0) and it's really detailed and interesting.

    They have use going with Richardson at #4 (which I think is the right move, I'd rather wait on a back, but we need one and he's the best since Peterson)

    And Mike Adams, the big right tackle out of Dublin by way of Ohio State at #22.

    I'd be okay with this, we need to improve on offense, our defense is not awful and just needs some tweaking.

    Here is their mock, check it out:

    SPORTSMASHER'S MOCK DRAFT

    Plus the rumor is they are live blogging the draft, good stuff!

  • I hope we take the following:

    Blackmon

    J Martin (Stanford)

    D Martin (Boise)

    I think Doug Martin will have a better career than Richardson. He is the best back the Browns can draft - over Trent.

  • I hope we take the following:

    Blackmon

    J Martin (Stanford)

    D Martin (Boise)

    I think Doug Martin will have a better career than Richardson. He is the best back the Browns can draft - over Trent.

    @unsympathetic said:

    I hope we take the following:

    Blackmon

    J Martin (Stanford)

    D Martin (Boise)

    I think Doug Martin will have a better career than Richardson. He is the best back the Browns can draft - over Trent.

    Well, you are on the record. I don't think anybody agrees with you ... but you are on the record.

    Zombo

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I hope we take the following:

    Blackmon

    J Martin (Stanford)

    D Martin (Boise)

    I think Doug Martin will have a better career than Richardson. He is the best back the Browns can draft - over Trent.

    Well, you are on the record. I don't think anybody agrees with you ... but you are on the record.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Well, you are on the record. I don't think anybody agrees with you ... but you are on the record.

    Zombo

    Your best bet is for Martin to play better than his draft position as in play like a mid 1st round pick even though he was selected beginning of the 2nd. Regardless of where he is picked he will NOT have a better career than Richardson he can only hope to have had slightly better value for his production.

  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/alabamas_nick_saban_is_bullish.html

    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Alabama head coach Nick Saban was standing just a few feet away from Browns running backs coach Gary Brown during Alabama's Pro Day when Saban's star running back, Trent Richardson, exploded into the stout Brown during a routine blocking drill and knocked him on his backside.

    It was the block heard 'round the NFL world, and it made Saban chuckle, just like the dozens of other scouts and coaches in the 'Bama fieldhouse.

    "I thought it was funny," Saban, the former Browns defensive coordinator, said Wednesday in a phone interview. "Trent's a very powerful guy and [brown] found that out first-hand, I guess."

    The Browns would see plenty more of Richardson's punishing, smash-mouth style if they draft him No. 4 in next Thursday's opening round of the NFL draft. He's far and away the top choice of most observers for the Browns at No. 4, and one of a handful of players they're considering with their top pick.

    "Trent is a very special player," said Saban. "He has a really good, complete skill set to play running back. He's got size and he's powerful, but he's got some quickness and can make you miss. He's got really good speed for his size, he's a good receiver and a good pass blocker.

    "I think 'bruising back' would be an insult to all that he is, even though he does that, too, because he's really tough and physical."

    Saban spent some time at the Pro Day talking about Richardson (5-9, 227) to Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, who was an assistant under Saban at Michigan State from 1995-97. Also in attendance was Browns General Manager Tom Heckert.

    "I have nothing but great things to say about Trent," said Saban. "He's a fantastic team player and very, very productive. He has the rare combination of being not only a great player but a real quality person. He cares about his teammates and wouldn't even think about the draft or talk about it before the national championship game."

    In three seasons, Richardson never had to be summoned to Saban's office to be reprimanded.

    "He's one of the lowest-maintenance great players I've ever had the opportunity to coach," said Saban.

    Having spent four seasons in Cleveland from 1991-94, Saban says Richardson would be a terrific fit for the team and the city.

    "He'd be great in the community, he'd be a great player for them and he's somebody that I think a lot of young people could really relate to for the kind of person he is, the example he sets," said Saban. "If they wouldn't be excited, they really should be."

    He said Richardson, who churned out 1,679 yards and 21 touchdowns last season, would be well-suited to the West Coast offense run by the Browns. Richardson also caught 29 passes for 338 yards and three TDs.

    "I don't think the running plays are a whole lot different and he's a really good receiver," Saban said. "So if they wanted to use him as a receiver in more of those circumstances, he'd really fit that role extremely well, too. I don't think there'd be an issue with him making that kind of adaptation."

    Saban declined to compare Richardson to Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, whom many experts have Richardson rated equally to coming out of college. But he did stack him up against Alabama's Mark Ingram, who went No. 28 to the Saints last year.

    "They're both great players, but they're a little different styles," said Saban. "Mark is a little bit more of a quick, elusive change-of-direction burst kind of guy, but also a good receiver and good hands. Trent's a little bit bigger than Mark and a little different style of runner but very effective and can do all the pass-blocking, receiving and all of that stuff very effectively as well."

    Richardson touched the ball 614 times at Alabama with only one lost fumble. He closed out his career with 550 fumble-free touches.

    "For a guy to carry the ball as much as he has against some pretty good competition in some really big games, the ratio of carries to turnovers is pretty phenomenal," said Saban.

    The rock-solid, muscled up Richardson made no apologies for putting Gary Brown on his back. Brown is no shrinking violet. He played eight NFL seasons, rushing for 1,000 yards twice.

    "Any time someone's in my way, I'm going to try to knock them over," Richardson said after his Pro Day. "Either they're going to hit me or I'm going to hit them. Nine times out of 10, I'm trying to throw the lick."

    Richardson even had the guts to promise at the combine that he'll take on Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, which should endear him even more to Browns fans.

    "[being physical] is a mindset thing with me and I'm not saying that Ray Lewis ain't going to take me out, because when it comes down to it we're going to have to see each other in the hole," said Richardson. "And I love Uncle Ray to death and he's going to bring me all the contact he can and beat me up in the hole, but why would you stand down in front of that?"

    Richardson underwent a minor arthroscopic knee procedure after the season and sat out combine drills, but rebounded at his Pro Day. Most draft observers, including ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., think the Browns should take Richardson ahead of Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon because Richardson is the superior talent.

    "Fear-factor players scare you and open up things for other players," Kiper said. "Richardson is a multi-dimensional player who never has to leave the field. And he never fumbles. For Cleveland, for what Richardson brings, you wouldn't need anybody else at that spot. He catches. He runs inside and outside. Richardson is my third-best player in this draft. [Cleveland's] picking fourth."

    Said Saban, the former Dolphins head coach: "I just know that if I was involved with the draft ... he's a guy that I'd want on my team."

    On Twitter: @marykaycabot

    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    That speaks for itself. If you are a fan of Cleveland or football in general- GET ON BOARD! The only people who don't want Trent in a Browns Uni are Steeler fans or confused... well, that's basically the same thing... 😛

  • Richardson Vs. Lewis? The smart money is on Trich! Button down that chin strap AFCN the "Midnight Express" is coming through!

  • I have a feeling we're going to pass on Richardson. It's upsetting.