Skip to content

Our Next Right Tackle

The Browns Board
30 11 1.5k
  • Nice little human interest story... gotta love a guy who is willing to work to get better.

    Absolutes like "we will draft our RT" are idiotic.

    I'd say that 38 consecutive starts at LT in Div I plus his newfound dedication to his craft at least earn him consideration for RT.

  • Nice little human interest story... gotta love a guy who is willing to work to get better.

    Absolutes like "we will draft our RT" are idiotic.

    I'd say that 38 consecutive starts at LT in Div I plus his newfound dedication to his craft at least earn him consideration for RT.

    @tour2ma said:

    Absolutes like "we will draft our RT" are idiotic.

    No it's called common sense, just like 6 month's ago when I said Steinbach would be released. Everybody wanted to take shots at me, guess who was right?

  • @mike-h said:

    Steinbach isn't on the team?

    Yes, which is why I used the word "return" in my post. The team and Steinbach are still talking about resigning him.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Absolutes like "we will draft our RT" are idiotic.

    No it's called common sense, just like 6 month's ago when I said Steinbach would be released. Everybody wanted to take shots at me, guess who was right?

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    No it's called common sense, just like 6 month's ago when I said Steinbach would be released. Everybody wanted to take shots at me, guess who was right?

    Why such a dick?

    There are no absolutes in football.

    I would not be surprised if they moved Pinkston to RT.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    No it's called common sense, just like 6 month's ago when I said Steinbach would be released. Everybody wanted to take shots at me, guess who was right?

    Why such a dick?

    There are no absolutes in football.

    I would not be surprised if they moved Pinkston to RT.

    @thaak said:

    Why such a dick?

    There are no absolutes in football.

    I would not be surprised if they moved Pinkston to RT.

    I didn't realize I was being a dick? I was called an idiot, I defended myself. Does anybody think we're not drafting a right tackle?

    Football is full of absolutes. It's pretty simple, if you don't have a RT, you have to get one. Same with any other positon. We don't have one, we haven't picked up one in free agency, its as close to an absolute can get that we're drafting one. Just like WR. Not being a dick, like I said just common sense.

  • I'm so excited, were going to draft a right tackle ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

  • That was a great read. Lets hope his hard work manifests into spectacular play this season.

  • @mike-h said:

    The way you used "return" is misleading.

    Can you source me to something that says negotiations are taking place please?

    Just the fact that both Heckert and Shurmer have both said they would be open to resigning him for less that what he was owed.

  • @mike-h said:

    The way you used "return" is misleading.

    Can you source me to something that says negotiations are taking place please?

    Just a rumor on the rumor forums on OBR from Lane Adkins. So nothing concrete.

  • @thaak said:

    Why such a dick?

    There are no absolutes in football.

    I would not be surprised if they moved Pinkston to RT.

    I didn't realize I was being a dick? I was called an idiot, I defended myself. Does anybody think we're not drafting a right tackle?

    Football is full of absolutes. It's pretty simple, if you don't have a RT, you have to get one. Same with any other positon. We don't have one, we haven't picked up one in free agency, its as close to an absolute can get that we're drafting one. Just like WR. Not being a dick, like I said just common sense.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I didn't realize I was being a dick? I was called an idiot, I defended myself. Does anybody think we're not drafting a right tackle?

    Football is full of absolutes. It's pretty simple, if you don't have a RT, you have to get one. Same with any other positon. We don't have one, we haven't picked up one in free agency, its as close to an absolute can get that we're drafting one. Just like WR. Not being a dick, like I said just common sense.

    But if you already have one on the roster, you don't need to go pay too much for one. Right? If Pinkston is good enough to be a RT, why wouldn't we use him there, and then pay less to get a new (old in Steinbach) guard?

  • #Browns HC Pat Shurmur on G Eric Steinbach: "I think it's realistic that he could be back."

    I feel like this is just as likely to happen. Mary Kay just said Shurmer "indicated" they would draft a starting RT. She didn't give any quote because he obviously never said it out loud that they would.

    Gotta take anything you read, especially before the draft, with a grain of salt.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    I didn't realize I was being a dick? I was called an idiot, I defended myself. Does anybody think we're not drafting a right tackle?

    Football is full of absolutes. It's pretty simple, if you don't have a RT, you have to get one. Same with any other positon. We don't have one, we haven't picked up one in free agency, its as close to an absolute can get that we're drafting one. Just like WR. Not being a dick, like I said just common sense.

    But if you already have one on the roster, you don't need to go pay too much for one. Right? If Pinkston is good enough to be a RT, why wouldn't we use him there, and then pay less to get a new (old in Steinbach) guard?

    @thaak said:

    But if you already have one on the roster, you don't need to go pay too much for one. Right? If Pinkston is good enough to be a RT, why wouldn't we use him there, and then pay less to get a new (old in Steinbach) guard?

    We don't know that Pinkston can play RT at an NFL level. He wasn't that great at guard, he'll be on an island every play at RT. I don't think he's the answer there and apparently neither does Heckert or Shurmer.

    We picked up a solid guard in the 5th round last year. We're going to have to take a RT much earlier then that if he's gonna be of starting quality out of the gates. The skill level difference between a guard and a tackle is about a big a difference as a RB and FB. It's a whole different world out there.

  • @thaak said:

    But if you already have one on the roster, you don't need to go pay too much for one. Right? If Pinkston is good enough to be a RT, why wouldn't we use him there, and then pay less to get a new (old in Steinbach) guard?

    We don't know that Pinkston can play RT at an NFL level. He wasn't that great at guard, he'll be on an island every play at RT. I don't think he's the answer there and apparently neither does Heckert or Shurmer.

    We picked up a solid guard in the 5th round last year. We're going to have to take a RT much earlier then that if he's gonna be of starting quality out of the gates. The skill level difference between a guard and a tackle is about a big a difference as a RB and FB. It's a whole different world out there.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    We don't know that Pinkston can play RT at an NFL level. He wasn't that great at guard, he'll be on an island every play at RT. I don't think he's the answer there and apparently neither does Heckert or Shurmer.

    We picked up a solid guard in the 5th round last year. We're going to have to take a RT much earlier then that if he's gonna be of starting quality out of the gates. The skill level difference between a guard and a tackle is about a big a difference as a RB and FB. It's a whole different world out there.

    Did you even read the article I posted?

  • @mike-h said:

    Saying "i think it's realistic he _could_ be back" is the same if not even less than "indicating" something is going to happen.

    I think it's realistic I could win the powerball tonight. Doesn't mean it's going to happen or even has any strong chance of happening.

    If you are using realistic in that context, I don't think it means what you think it means.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    We don't know that Pinkston can play RT at an NFL level. He wasn't that great at guard, he'll be on an island every play at RT. I don't think he's the answer there and apparently neither does Heckert or Shurmer.

    We picked up a solid guard in the 5th round last year. We're going to have to take a RT much earlier then that if he's gonna be of starting quality out of the gates. The skill level difference between a guard and a tackle is about a big a difference as a RB and FB. It's a whole different world out there.

    Did you even read the article I posted?

    @thaak said:

    Did you even read the article I posted?

    Yea I did. He's working hard with LeCharles Bentley. So what that makes him a RT now? I don't get what your saying?

  • @mike-h said:

    Saying "i think it's realistic he _could_ be back" is the same if not even less than "indicating" something is going to happen.

    I think it's realistic I could win the powerball tonight. Doesn't mean it's going to happen or even has any strong chance of happening.

    Hence why I said I felt it was just as likely to happen. Fact of the matter is Shurmer at least flat out said something about Steinbach while Mary Kay went off something so remote that Shurmer said she couldn't even quote it. But either or could happen, I don't really trust any of it.

  • @thaak said:

    Did you even read the article I posted?

    Yea I did. He's working hard with LeCharles Bentley. So what that makes him a RT now? I don't get what your saying?

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Yea I did. He's working hard with LeCharles Bentley. So what that makes him a RT now? I don't get what your saying?

    If you read the entire article, you'd see the part that talked about him getting a staff infection in his elbow after his pro day and that he couldn't do workouts for teams. So he basically was out of shape for training camp and then was thrust in as a starter when Steinbach had surgery.

    So he started the season, weak, out of shape, and a rookie. As the season wore on, he got better and better as his strength and shape returned.

    He was a good LT in college.

    He is now in the best shape of his life, he will be stronger, faster, and more prepared having started 16 games.

    He should get a look see at RT.

  • I'd like a couple opinions on Kevin Zeitler. He seems like he could be a really good player if we put him between Thomas and Mack, but then we'd have to move Pinkston to RT...

  • With his new conditioning, it's smart to consider the possibility of moving him to right tackle.

    The knock on him before was weakness and balance. With the strength, his quick feet, and his desire

    to play the game, hell yeah it's a possibility. Then, the Browns could draft this guy as a backup/future starter

    or immediate starter at OG:

    **********************************

    Brandon Brooks, OG/OT

    Why? Because he 6'5", 346, and he runs the forty in 4.98.From Miami of Ohio.Performed well at his pro day and put up

    impressive numbers. Was overlooked - wasn't invited to the combine. I'd pick him to go in the fourth round, but I don't think

    he'll be there. He's an agile, powerful monster of a lineman. He could actually play RT, but he'll probably be a RG.

  • Regardless I like how he is working out with the best OL trainer in the business. Turned Boone from an UDFA, over weight, weak, drunk into a second string LT that could be starting on about half the teams in the NFL and is still improving. I wouldn't want Pinkston working with anyone else.