Skip to content

21 Jump Street Review

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
3 3 771
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    21 Jump Street

    Sony

    R 109 min

    So here is my disclaimer. I've never even seen an episode of 21 Jump Street. Without bothering to research I think that's the vehicle that launched Johnny Depp’s career, right? At any rate I don't have the emotional baggage of worrying whether or not the movies producers strayed from the original soul of the show.

    I mean it's not like somebody's screwing around with the TWILIGHT ZONE,....

    Anyway this is one of those cases involving the newest and biggest selling movie available at deadline as opposed to something anticipated or important. This one is neither. It's a run of the mill action comedy starring a slimmed down Jonah Hill who appears to be making good use of his 15 minutes of fame. I'm guessing the setup is pretty much the same as the television series. A handful of recent police academy graduates still look young enough to pass for high school students. Unlike an officer who looks more like, say, Charles Durning these cops can fit in and get to the bottom of some high school criminal activity. In this case, as usual, it's drug dealers. Sure, that’s a fairly common antagonist in the movies but these guys are made even worse since the drug in question is killing people.

    Now back in real high school Schmidt (Hill) is smart but not very popular or athletic. He is nemesis Jenco (Channing Tatum) is tough popular and handsome but alas too stupid to pass very many classes. Of course these are the two who will be paired up to solve the poison dope mystery. Well there aren’t a lot of surprises here but one is that this is not as bad as one might expect and the mystery itself and action inherent to it are above average for the genre.

    The things that aren’t any surprise at all are whether the two misfits redeem themselves and crack the case to everyone’s surprise. Yeah you knew that.

    Basically it’s just what you expect and better than most.

    C+

    WSS

  • 21 Jump Street

    Sony

    R 109 min

    So here is my disclaimer. I've never even seen an episode of 21 Jump Street. Without bothering to research I think that's the vehicle that launched Johnny Depp’s career, right? At any rate I don't have the emotional baggage of worrying whether or not the movies producers strayed from the original soul of the show.

    I mean it's not like somebody's screwing around with the TWILIGHT ZONE,....

    Anyway this is one of those cases involving the newest and biggest selling movie available at deadline as opposed to something anticipated or important. This one is neither. It's a run of the mill action comedy starring a slimmed down Jonah Hill who appears to be making good use of his 15 minutes of fame. I'm guessing the setup is pretty much the same as the television series. A handful of recent police academy graduates still look young enough to pass for high school students. Unlike an officer who looks more like, say, Charles Durning these cops can fit in and get to the bottom of some high school criminal activity. In this case, as usual, it's drug dealers. Sure, that’s a fairly common antagonist in the movies but these guys are made even worse since the drug in question is killing people.

    Now back in real high school Schmidt (Hill) is smart but not very popular or athletic. He is nemesis Jenco (Channing Tatum) is tough popular and handsome but alas too stupid to pass very many classes. Of course these are the two who will be paired up to solve the poison dope mystery. Well there aren’t a lot of surprises here but one is that this is not as bad as one might expect and the mystery itself and action inherent to it are above average for the genre.

    The things that aren’t any surprise at all are whether the two misfits redeem themselves and crack the case to everyone’s surprise. Yeah you knew that.

    Basically it’s just what you expect and better than most.

    C+

    WSS

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @westside-steve said:

    21 Jump Street

    Sony

    R 109 min

    So here is my disclaimer. I've never even seen an episode of 21 Jump Street. Without bothering to research I think that's the vehicle that launched Johnny Depp’s career, right? At any rate I don't have the emotional baggage of worrying whether or not the movies producers strayed from the original soul of the show.

    I mean it's not like somebody's screwing around with the TWILIGHT ZONE,....

    Anyway this is one of those cases involving the newest and biggest selling movie available at deadline as opposed to something anticipated or important. This one is neither. It's a run of the mill action comedy starring a slimmed down Jonah Hill who appears to be making good use of his 15 minutes of fame. I'm guessing the setup is pretty much the same as the television series. A handful of recent police academy graduates still look young enough to pass for high school students. Unlike an officer who looks more like, say, Charles Durning these cops can fit in and get to the bottom of some high school criminal activity. In this case, as usual, it's drug dealers. Sure, that’s a fairly common antagonist in the movies but these guys are made even worse since the drug in question is killing people.

    Now back in real high school Schmidt (Hill) is smart but not very popular or athletic. He is nemesis Jenco (Channing Tatum) is tough popular and handsome but alas too stupid to pass very many classes. Of course these are the two who will be paired up to solve the poison dope mystery. Well there aren’t a lot of surprises here but one is that this is not as bad as one might expect and the mystery itself and action inherent to it are above average for the genre.

    The things that aren’t any surprise at all are whether the two misfits redeem themselves and crack the case to everyone’s surprise. Yeah you knew that.

    Basically it’s just what you expect and better than most.

    C+

    WSS

    Watched it last night. Lots of funny moments. Stupid, but funny.

    Zombo

  • @westside-steve said:

    21 Jump Street

    Sony

    R 109 min

    So here is my disclaimer. I've never even seen an episode of 21 Jump Street. Without bothering to research I think that's the vehicle that launched Johnny Depp’s career, right? At any rate I don't have the emotional baggage of worrying whether or not the movies producers strayed from the original soul of the show.

    I mean it's not like somebody's screwing around with the TWILIGHT ZONE,....

    Anyway this is one of those cases involving the newest and biggest selling movie available at deadline as opposed to something anticipated or important. This one is neither. It's a run of the mill action comedy starring a slimmed down Jonah Hill who appears to be making good use of his 15 minutes of fame. I'm guessing the setup is pretty much the same as the television series. A handful of recent police academy graduates still look young enough to pass for high school students. Unlike an officer who looks more like, say, Charles Durning these cops can fit in and get to the bottom of some high school criminal activity. In this case, as usual, it's drug dealers. Sure, that’s a fairly common antagonist in the movies but these guys are made even worse since the drug in question is killing people.

    Now back in real high school Schmidt (Hill) is smart but not very popular or athletic. He is nemesis Jenco (Channing Tatum) is tough popular and handsome but alas too stupid to pass very many classes. Of course these are the two who will be paired up to solve the poison dope mystery. Well there aren’t a lot of surprises here but one is that this is not as bad as one might expect and the mystery itself and action inherent to it are above average for the genre.

    The things that aren’t any surprise at all are whether the two misfits redeem themselves and crack the case to everyone’s surprise. Yeah you knew that.

    Basically it’s just what you expect and better than most.

    C+

    WSS

    Watched it last night. Lots of funny moments. Stupid, but funny.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Zombo said:

    Watched it last night. Lots of funny moments. Stupid, but funny.

    Zombo

    Saw it two nights ago. A few funny moments. A few more stupid ones. Overall it set out to do what I think it meant to do, be silly with a little bit of gratuitous sex.

    I too never saw the original show....but I don't think it was intended to be comedic.