Skip to content

Trivia Question For April 12, 2012

The Browns Board
8 3 405
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Here is today's trivia Question.

    In the 76 year plus history of both the NFL and AFL regular and supplemental drafts, only 7 players that were #1 overall selections in any of those drafts were from schools that are not CURRENTLY FBS level programs.

    Name those 7 players and their schools.

    (hint: getting 5 is outstanding. At least one of these person even I have never heard of.)

    (this day in history: A busy day April 12. 1861, shots were fired on Ft. Sumter to begin the Civil War. 1945 FDR dies. 1961, the first man goes into space: Yuri Gargarin)

  • Here is today's trivia Question.

    In the 76 year plus history of both the NFL and AFL regular and supplemental drafts, only 7 players that were #1 overall selections in any of those drafts were from schools that are not CURRENTLY FBS level programs.

    Name those 7 players and their schools.

    (hint: getting 5 is outstanding. At least one of these person even I have never heard of.)

    (this day in history: A busy day April 12. 1861, shots were fired on Ft. Sumter to begin the Civil War. 1945 FDR dies. 1961, the first man goes into space: Yuri Gargarin)

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is today's trivia Question.

    In the 76 year plus history of both the NFL and AFL regular and supplemental drafts, only 7 players that were #1 overall selections in any of those drafts were from schools that are not CURRENTLY FBS level programs.

    Name those 7 players and their schools.

    (hint: getting 5 is outstanding. At least one of these person even I have never heard of.)

    (this day in history: A busy day April 12. 1861, shots were fired on Ft. Sumter to begin the Civil War. 1945 FDR dies. 1961, the first man goes into space: Yuri Gargarin)

    I think I know two of them: the first plyer ever drafted was Jay Barwenger (sp) of Univ of Chicago. And big John Matuszak was from univ of Tampa.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is today's trivia Question.

    In the 76 year plus history of both the NFL and AFL regular and supplemental drafts, only 7 players that were #1 overall selections in any of those drafts were from schools that are not CURRENTLY FBS level programs.

    Name those 7 players and their schools.

    (hint: getting 5 is outstanding. At least one of these person even I have never heard of.)

    (this day in history: A busy day April 12. 1861, shots were fired on Ft. Sumter to begin the Civil War. 1945 FDR dies. 1961, the first man goes into space: Yuri Gargarin)

    I think I know two of them: the first plyer ever drafted was Jay Barwenger (sp) of Univ of Chicago. And big John Matuszak was from univ of Tampa.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Zombo said:

    I think I know two of them: the first plyer ever drafted was Jay Barwenger (sp) of Univ of Chicago. And big John Matuszak was from univ of Tampa.

    Zombo

    Check and check.

    Hint: of the other 5, 2 are in the HOF.

  • tampadawgsT tampadawgs wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I have no clue, how do you come with a quistion like that????

  • I have no clue, how do you come with a quistion like that????

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @tampadawgs said:

    I have no clue, how do you come with a quistion like that????

    The basic question just springs from my imagination. I may perhaps hear or read something that triggers a thought and a question develops from that. Because it is "Draft Frenzy" season a lot of my questions lately have been draft related....and probably will continue to be until the draft is over. Example, for this, while looking at a source about who the high draft prospects are at certain positions I saw that QB BJ Coleman of Tenn-Chattanooga and CB Janoris Jenkins of Northern Alabama were highly rated players fron non-FBS schools. So I thought about asking who overall #1s from Non-FBS schools were in history. While I make up the questions in this manner I don't necessarily know all the answers, so I do have to do some research, as I had to do here to come up with the 7 names. I included the #1 overalls from Supplemental drafts because my source allowed them to be listed that way and just to make the question a little dicier.

    (and just to note, when most people talk about the #1 overall player taken in a draft, they usually do not count the Supplemental draft. But that is just where the Browns go Bernie Kosar, and that is also why I included the Supplemental draft in this question)

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I bet a couple of them are from Grambling or other traditionally black schools.

    Zombo

  • I bet a couple of them are from Grambling or other traditionally black schools.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Zombo said:

    I bet a couple of them are from Grambling or other traditionally black schools.

    Zombo

    One is from Grambling...and a couple of others may also be from traditionally "black colleges".

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Answers:

    John Matuszak Tampa Un.

    Buck Buchanan Grambling (AFL)

    Chuck Bednarik Penn

    Jay Berwanger Chicago U.

    Ed "Too Tall" Jones Tennessee St.

    Clint Longley Abilene Christian (Supplemental)

    Blenda Ga Fayetteville St. (Supplemental)