Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Alfonzo Dennard

Alfonzo Dennard

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
5 Posts 3 Posters 502 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • cribbs is the man cribbs is the manC
    • 272 Posts
    • 14 Reputation
    cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Remember when this guy was a "lock" 1st round pick right after the season?? I remembered his name last week and saw that some mocks had him as a high 3rd rounder. And then this:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7846633/2012-nfl-draft-bond-ex-nebraska-cornhuskers-cornerback-alfonzo-dennard-set-5000

    He could plummet in the draft or not be drafted at all with the felony charges. Before this I thought he was a pretty clean guy, so could just be an isolated incident (like Sheard). I love to take these guys whose stock falls because of an isolated bad incident, they dont lose their talent...

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 30k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Tend to agree...

      This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

      "Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

      Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

      On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

      "Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"
      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
      cribbs is the manC 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2maT Tour2ma

        Tend to agree...

        This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

        "Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

        Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

        On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

        "Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"
        cribbs is the man cribbs is the manC
        • 272 Posts
        • 14 Reputation
        cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @tour2ma said:

        Tend to agree...

        This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

        "Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

        Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

        On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

        "Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"

        Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

        The GipperT Tour2maT 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man

          @tour2ma said:

          Tend to agree...

          This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

          "Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

          Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

          On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

          "Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"

          Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
          • 57k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @cribbs-is-the-man said:

          Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

          Maybe take him in the 6th round....and if he as good as we thought he once was, it would be a bargain if he straightened up.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man

            @tour2ma said:

            Tend to agree...

            This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

            "Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

            Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

            On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

            "Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"

            Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

            Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
            • 30k Posts
            • 6k Reputation
            Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
            #5

            @cribbs-is-the-man said:

            Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

            I was more commenting on the "incident"... I never saw Dennard rated as a Rnd 1'er, but I doubt his 4.55 at the Combine helped.

            Read his NFL.com scouting report and it has a jack-of-all-trades ring to it... no real strengths, no real weaknesses. Sounds like a mid-round talent to me...

            On his drop I did find this:

            "Dennard was remorseful after his Capital One Bowl scuffle with South Carolina wideout Alshon Jeffery. Dennard admitted he punched Jeffery, saying afterward, 'That's not the type of person I am.'"

            Again, I don't think a one-off incident where he was celebrating something, got into a scuffle and accidentally hit an officer trying to break it up is that off-putting. But doesn't read like that is the case...

            04/23/12 - A probable cause affidavit states that former Nebraska football player Alfonzo Dennard was warned twice by police to leave Lincoln's downtown bar area before he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer early Saturday morning. Dennard, 22, remained in Lancaster County Jail Monday morning. He is set to be arraigned at 2 p.m. Monday. A police report says officers observed Dennard, while walking eastbound in the 14th Street crosswalk, bumping into a 22-year-old and punching him in the chest around 2:15 a.m. Saturday. According to the affidavit, Dennard was also involved in two separate verbal arguments outside the Hour Lounge before that alleged assault. Police told him to leave the area after both incidents, according to the affidavit. The affidavit says Dennard engaged in a third altercation and punched a man. As police intervened and attempted to place Dennard in custody, he pushed and punched one officer, according to the affidavit. The injured officer, identified by Lincoln police as a four-year veteran, suffered a 2-centimeter abrasion to his left jaw, according to the affidavit. It took four officers to arrest Dennard, who was cited on suspicion of third-degree assault of an officer, resisting arrest and third-degree assault. - Jon Nyatawa, The Omaha World-Herald

            Maybe that it took four to subdue him will raise his stock... 😎

            My guess is after reading the above he is off of our board altogether...

            Sounds like a Raider if this was a couple years ago... or a Bengal. 😁 Best bet today might be the Jets...

            "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate