Skip to content

Rookie Highlights From Br

The Browns Board
8 4 717
  • http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

  • http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

    Thanks! A few thoughts:

    Weeden gets the ball out quickly and has got a cannon. He has a nice short release and seems to be really accurate (talking as if I know QB evaluations). His footwork does not look good, I've seen him drifting back a lot; we will need to work on that obviously because he doesnt take snaps from under center (like RG3).

    Schwartz looks like a mauler with a mean streak. It was a bit confusing to me to see him picked before J. Martin, Glenn, and Massie, but also it kind of excites me. Heckert clearly thinks this guy fits what we want more than the others. Should blow open some holes for T. Rich, hope we can get a FB to follow him up strong...

    I think our D-line and subsequently our run defense will be MUCH improved. Another year of strength and conditioning for Taylor and Sheard, plus an offseason. Substituting Mitchell with Rucker is a plus. Rotating the bigs more with Hughes rotating on running downs and Winn (and Parker) on passing downs. Our bigs played wayyy too much and should look a lot more fresh this year.

    The problem with our run D improving is that I believe our pass defense will not look NEARLY as good, as it was drastically overrated last year. People didnt throw because they had their way with us on the ground. We may have given up the 2nd fewest passing yards, but also had the 2nd fewest passing attempts against us. It worries me that we didnt upgrade the secondary, but you cant do everything in one year.

    Also Ryan Miller looks awesome, maybe can come in and compete right away with Lauvao. Not really impressed with the LBs, but they were low round picks, adds depth I guess

  • I only really watched Schwartz Miller and Wade because I watched highlights of the other players during the draft. Couple things:

    Schwartz/Miller - Both big dudes who pulled a lot in those highlight videos. Have to think that is something we might be trying to emphasize this year with screens and getting Trent outside.

    Trevin Wade definitely bates the QB into throwing the ball. Not sure that's what you look for in the NFL, or if that's what the Browns are looking for or not. A player that tries to bate a QB into throws will be a lot more susceptible to double moves, thus giving up the big play. Not sure if his highlight real translates well to the NFL unfortunately, but he did have a lot of picks and pass breakups.

  • I only really watched Schwartz Miller and Wade because I watched highlights of the other players during the draft. Couple things:

    Schwartz/Miller - Both big dudes who pulled a lot in those highlight videos. Have to think that is something we might be trying to emphasize this year with screens and getting Trent outside.

    Trevin Wade definitely bates the QB into throwing the ball. Not sure that's what you look for in the NFL, or if that's what the Browns are looking for or not. A player that tries to bate a QB into throws will be a lot more susceptible to double moves, thus giving up the big play. Not sure if his highlight real translates well to the NFL unfortunately, but he did have a lot of picks and pass breakups.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    I only really watched Schwartz Miller and Wade because I watched highlights of the other players during the draft. Couple things:

    Schwartz/Miller - Both big dudes who pulled a lot in those highlight videos. Have to think that is something we might be trying to emphasize this year with screens and getting Trent outside.

    Trevin Wade definitely bates the QB into throwing the ball. Not sure that's what you look for in the NFL, or if that's what the Browns are looking for or not. A player that tries to bate a QB into throws will be a lot more susceptible to double moves, thus giving up the big play. Not sure if his highlight real translates well to the NFL unfortunately, but he did have a lot of picks and pass breakups.

    I was begging for more pulls last year. I think with no offseason it was tough to get Pinkston and Lauvao and our lack of RT to learn anything specific. But I am a huge fan of pulling guards and tackles and hope we do it more this year. Remember also that Childress had a blue chip back in Peterson in Minn. and Shurmur with S. Jackson, hopefully they picked up some running strategies there..

  • One thing I noticed with Weeden's tape was his back shoulder throws. As everyone knows the back shoulder throw and catch is the hardest pass to defend in the NFL. Weeden kept putting it right on the money every time. With Trent you just notice right away that if anyone in the league trys to arm tackle him they are going to be making a huge mistake. He even make LB fall off of him when they hit him right in the chest. Benjamin shows in his tape that he catches the ball consistently away from his body and his vert really helps him play like a much taller WR. Both Schwartz and miller looked good as pulling and run blocking. Didn't watch Hughes tape because it was basically a full game tape. Winn shows that he has closing speed and good moves on the inside. Johnson looked good when he was running up into his assigned gaps but looked suspect if he had to move east or west instead of north or south. Acho looked good but his tape was limited. Smelly looks like he has really solid hands and I noticed some good down field blocks from him on Trent's video. A very solid H back.

  • http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

    But I bet you chose better music...

    @cribbs-is-the-man said:

    A few thoughts:

    Weeden gets the ball out quickly and has got a cannon. He has a nice short release and seems to be really accurate (talking as if I know QB evaluations). His footwork does not look good, I've seen him drifting back a lot; we will need to work on that obviously because he doesnt take snaps from under center (like RG3)

    While I'll admit that it's tough to see anything with all the damn sideline shots you need to...

    Watch the damn ball... and with your eyes... not your heart...

    The ball starts over his sternum (a bit low). After he pats the ball one or two times (not good), the first movement in his throwing motion is to drop the ball down. Then the ball basically circles his right shoulder.

    For a better view of Weeden motion, check out any of the four game tapes I posted in the Weeden thread.

    If you want to see a quick release, check out Marino. From breast plate, it's straight back and gone.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    One thing I noticed with Weeden's tape was his back shoulder throws.

    Got a time mark there, HB? I watched Weeden's vid twice and didn't see a single back shoulder...

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165451-highlights-from-every-browns-2012-draft-pick/page/3

    Last year I spent a few hours finding film, editing, and putting together a rookie highlight video of the 2011 draft picks. It fucking took me for ever and don't get me started on how frustrating it was to upload to youtube. So I found this thing and it saves me the time. Enjoy it.

    But I bet you chose better music...

    @cribbs-is-the-man said:

    A few thoughts:

    Weeden gets the ball out quickly and has got a cannon. He has a nice short release and seems to be really accurate (talking as if I know QB evaluations). His footwork does not look good, I've seen him drifting back a lot; we will need to work on that obviously because he doesnt take snaps from under center (like RG3)

    While I'll admit that it's tough to see anything with all the damn sideline shots you need to...

    Watch the damn ball... and with your eyes... not your heart...

    The ball starts over his sternum (a bit low). After he pats the ball one or two times (not good), the first movement in his throwing motion is to drop the ball down. Then the ball basically circles his right shoulder.

    For a better view of Weeden motion, check out any of the four game tapes I posted in the Weeden thread.

    If you want to see a quick release, check out Marino. From breast plate, it's straight back and gone.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    One thing I noticed with Weeden's tape was his back shoulder throws.

    Got a time mark there, HB? I watched Weeden's vid twice and didn't see a single back shoulder...

    @tour2ma said:

    But I bet you chose better music...

    While I'll admit that it's tough to see anything with all the damn sideline shots you need to...

    Watch the damn ball... and with your eyes... not your heart...

    The ball starts over his sternum (a bit low). After he pats the ball one or two times (not good), the first movement in his throwing motion is to drop the ball down. Then the ball basically circles his right shoulder.

    For a better view of Weeden motion, check out any of the four game tapes I posted in the Weeden thread.

    If you want to see a quick release, check out Marino. From breast plate, it's straight back and gone.

    Got a time mark there, HB? I watched Weeden's vid twice and didn't see a single back shoulder...

    They literally show like 8 in a row where he throws it in the back corner of the endzone where only the WR can grab it.

  • @tour2ma said:

    But I bet you chose better music...

    While I'll admit that it's tough to see anything with all the damn sideline shots you need to...

    Watch the damn ball... and with your eyes... not your heart...

    The ball starts over his sternum (a bit low). After he pats the ball one or two times (not good), the first movement in his throwing motion is to drop the ball down. Then the ball basically circles his right shoulder.

    For a better view of Weeden motion, check out any of the four game tapes I posted in the Weeden thread.

    If you want to see a quick release, check out Marino. From breast plate, it's straight back and gone.

    Got a time mark there, HB? I watched Weeden's vid twice and didn't see a single back shoulder...

    They literally show like 8 in a row where he throws it in the back corner of the endzone where only the WR can grab it.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    They literally show like 8 in a row where he throws it in the back corner of the endzone where only the WR can grab it.

    You owe me five minutes... Just watched it again and somewhere around the 3:15 mark there are five or so fade route throws as you describe above, which are different from back-shoulder fades.

    On the other hand the additional view reinforced an earlier observation. With one possible exception, every throw was to a primary receiver that he started at from the snap until his release.

    Other players' highlight vids...


    •  
    • Schwartz: too small of a sample.
    • Hughes: Skipped.
    • Benjamin: Impressive... speed, yes, but more than that he has ball skills (check out the adjustment at the 2:00 mark) and good hops.
    • Johnson: Ugh... Made about 5 plays in a game tape. Absolutely terrible for an ILB. Agility is lacking to say the least... kinda reflected in his 7.36 3-cone time. (in contrast Kuechly's was 6.92)
    • Miller: Nothing to dislike in his snippet... Good feet.
    • Acho: Another snippet of a vid. Looks leaner than 238...
    • Winn: A gap shootin', speed rushin' DT... Gotta get stronger to play all three downs, but 'til then a nickel/ dime package inside rusher.
    • Wade: Watched vid twice... First time watching him; 2nd time watching receiver across from him. 2nd time was less impressive as most WR routes were weak. Still, a lot more to like than dislike. The kid can cover; need to find some run support tape. Needs to wrap up legs and not simply roll block when he tackles.
    • Smelley: Hey... he had a highlight.