Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Dark Shadows Review

Dark Shadows Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
6 Posts 3 Posters 752 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Dark Shadows

    Warner Brothers

    PG 13 113 min

    It seems the list of old TV shows waiting to be remade as full length motion pictures is limitless. DARK SHADOWS is somewhat out of the ordinary for a few reasons.

    First is that the legendary seventy's gothic soap opera drew its success mainly from young girls who rushed home after school to watch it. So it’s familiar to a small segment of viewers some 40 odd years later.

    Second this particular series hasn't seemed to enjoy the success in reruns that some other sixty's and seventy's icons have. Since the original series was a serial there was one long and complicated story line which never really seems to end, until possibly the final episode. Along that long and winding road there were examples of just about every stock horror character imaginable. Werewolves, witches, ghosts, zombies, mad doctors and of course every teenage girl's favorite: vampires.

    Johnny Depp reprises Jonathan Frid’s famous undead Barnabas Collins here in the big screen version. The setup is much like the original series. Barnabas has spurned the affections of a witch who curses him to eternal misery as a vampire. 200 years later and excavation crew accidentally breaks open his coffin and Barnabas walks the earth again. Upon returning to his ancestral mansion he will find to his dismay that the Collins family fishery empire has fallen on hard times. Their main competition turns out to be run by the reincarnation of the witch who cast him into darkness in the first place. Uh oh.

    So what we have is two distinctly different types of movie battling for supremacy in one body.

    First is the dark comedy as Barnabas is confounded by the modern world. Remember he’s never seen television cars lava lamps etc. He often recites corny 70s pop culture (Steve Miller’s The Joker lyrics, the Carpenters and Erich Segal’s Love Story) with a dramatic Shakespearian flair. They repeat that gag a few times.

    The other angle here is his attempt to save the family business and put the Collins family back on top.

    This film reunites two very talented people, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. In my opinion, Depp often lets the makeup man do most of his acting for him, but I will admit that he has put together a fine recreation of the character here.

    Burton has a special gift for striking scenery with a macabre overtone. Unfortunately I don't think he does a great job with characters. I find most of his films interesting but lacking in charisma. DARK SHADOWS is definitely creepy cool but neither the drama nor the comedy really catches on.

    The production values are certainly impressive but beyond that it's not a great deal of fun.

    But it’s nice to see Michelle Pfeiffer and Alice Cooper

    C+

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
      • 15k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Johnny depp and Helena bonham carter? I feel like I've already seen this three or so times. Way to go outside your comfort zone, Burton.

      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • T The Cysko Kid

        Johnny depp and Helena bonham carter? I feel like I've already seen this three or so times. Way to go outside your comfort zone, Burton.

        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @the-cysko-kid said:

        Johnny depp and Helena bonham carter? I feel like I've already seen this three or so times. Way to go outside your comfort zone, Burton.

        Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton's wife, so I would say that she is definitely in his comfort zone.

        I have actually like the Burton/Depp/Carter combination with one exception: Sweeney Todd. Didn't care for that movie at all. Burton should never try musicals.

        T 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The GipperT The Gipper

          @the-cysko-kid said:

          Johnny depp and Helena bonham carter? I feel like I've already seen this three or so times. Way to go outside your comfort zone, Burton.

          Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton's wife, so I would say that she is definitely in his comfort zone.

          I have actually like the Burton/Depp/Carter combination with one exception: Sweeney Todd. Didn't care for that movie at all. Burton should never try musicals.

          The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
          • 15k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @the-gipper said:

          Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton's wife, so I would say that she is definitely in his comfort zone.

          I have actually like the Burton/Depp/Carter combination with one exception: Sweeney Todd. Didn't care for that movie at all. Burton should never try musicals.

          I know that gipper but I'm tired of the three of them.

          Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
          W 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • T The Cysko Kid

            @the-gipper said:

            Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton's wife, so I would say that she is definitely in his comfort zone.

            I have actually like the Burton/Depp/Carter combination with one exception: Sweeney Todd. Didn't care for that movie at all. Burton should never try musicals.

            I know that gipper but I'm tired of the three of them.

            Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
            • 39k Posts
            • 9k Reputation
            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @the-cysko-kid said:

            I know that gipper but I'm tired of the three of them.

            I think Depp is talented but overrated, Carter isn't aging very well and Burton seems like he's in a rut.

            We will see what's up with abe lincoln vampire hunter.

            WSS

            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
            The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • W Westside Steve

              @the-cysko-kid said:

              I know that gipper but I'm tired of the three of them.

              I think Depp is talented but overrated, Carter isn't aging very well and Burton seems like he's in a rut.

              We will see what's up with abe lincoln vampire hunter.

              WSS

              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @westside-steve said:

              I think Depp is talented but overrated, Carter isn't aging very well and Burton seems like he's in a rut.

              We will see what's up with abe lincoln vampire hunter.

              WSS

              Where is your review on that?

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate