Skip to content

New 36 Team Nfl?

The Browns Board
52 19 3.5k
  • @ballpeen said:

    I do think a lot.

    It can go any number of ways.

    I could see a Great Lakes division......Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pitts, Indy.

    I also think about cities that could support a NFL team.

    You are adding 4.

    LA, no brainer, San Antonio,good option.

    You say Salt Lake.....I say Oklahoma City.

    I also think the deep south could support another team in Alabama...Birmingham might be a good location..Memphis is another location that has the population and they have tried in the past. There are a lot of people living in Memphis, north Mississippi, and east Arkansas that would support a team. That also hits a geographic void in the center of the country, as does OKC.....you could place them in several division that make sense.

    I considered Birmingham and Memphis. Two things led me to choose Portland/SA, and SLC: most importantly, size. Those are the biggest markets without a team that were not already basically on top of other NFL markets. In fact here is the order of DMAs that do not have NFL teams:

    2 LA

    19 Orlando

    20 Sacramento

    22 Portland

    24 Raleigh-durham

    30 Hartford

    32 Columbus

    33 Salt Lake

    36 San Antonio

    39 Birmingham

    40 Las Vegas

    43 Norfolk/Va Beach

    44 OKC

    45 Albequerque

    47 Austin

    49 Memphis

    As mentioned, adding Austin/SA together however makes them like the 14th larges market.

    Orlando is only @75-80 miles from Tampa. The same with Sacramento from Oakland. Hartford is about 100 miles from NY and Boston...and I guess technically, since Connecticut is in "New England", the already have their team.

    The Panthers bill themselves as Carolina's team so I discounted Raleigh Durham.

    So, Portland and SLC were the largest and most remote markets left.

    Though, I think Birmingham would viable as another "southern" team and probably comes in right after the ones I chose.

    The other southern option would be the "Tidewater" team in Virg.

    @the-gipper said:

    I considered Birmingham and Memphis. Two things led me to choose Portland/SA, and SLC: most importantly, size. Those are the biggest markets without a team that were not already basically on top of other NFL markets. In fact here is the order of DMAs that do not have NFL teams:

    2 LA

    19 Orlando

    20 Sacramento

    22 Portland

    24 Raleigh-durham

    30 Hartford

    32 Columbus

    33 Salt Lake

    36 San Antonio

    39 Birmingham

    40 Las Vegas

    43 Norfolk/Va Beach

    44 OKC

    45 Albequerque

    47 Austin

    49 Memphis

    As mentioned, adding Austin/SA together however makes them like the 14th larges market.

    Orlando is only @75-80 miles from Tampa. The same with Sacramento from Oakland. Hartford is about 100 miles from NY and Boston...and I guess technically, since Connecticut is in "New England", the already have their team.

    The Panthers bill themselves as Carolina's team so I discounted Raleigh Durham.

    So, Portland and SLC were the largest and most remote markets left.

    Though, I think Birmingham would viable as another "southern" team and probably comes in right after the ones I chose.

    The other southern option would be the "Tidewater" team in Virg.

    Thanks....good info. None the less, I have to look at who would support a team. I am not sure Portland would, though I think Memphis or Birmingham would. Not that the south has a lock on supporting football by any means, but it's pretty big, even you can agree to that. I also think either of those towns would fill a geographic void that would help create some great rivalries.

    I don't know. The west coast folks seems ambivalent towards supporting their teams.

  • I miss the Tenn\Houston rival

    @cdl15 said:

    I miss the Tenn\Houston rival

    yes, bring back Houston and kick out Baltimore

  • @the-gipper said:

    I considered Birmingham and Memphis. Two things led me to choose Portland/SA, and SLC: most importantly, size. Those are the biggest markets without a team that were not already basically on top of other NFL markets. In fact here is the order of DMAs that do not have NFL teams:

    2 LA

    19 Orlando

    20 Sacramento

    22 Portland

    24 Raleigh-durham

    30 Hartford

    32 Columbus

    33 Salt Lake

    36 San Antonio

    39 Birmingham

    40 Las Vegas

    43 Norfolk/Va Beach

    44 OKC

    45 Albequerque

    47 Austin

    49 Memphis

    As mentioned, adding Austin/SA together however makes them like the 14th larges market.

    Orlando is only @75-80 miles from Tampa. The same with Sacramento from Oakland. Hartford is about 100 miles from NY and Boston...and I guess technically, since Connecticut is in "New England", the already have their team.

    The Panthers bill themselves as Carolina's team so I discounted Raleigh Durham.

    So, Portland and SLC were the largest and most remote markets left.

    Though, I think Birmingham would viable as another "southern" team and probably comes in right after the ones I chose.

    The other southern option would be the "Tidewater" team in Virg.

    Thanks....good info. None the less, I have to look at who would support a team. I am not sure Portland would, though I think Memphis or Birmingham would. Not that the south has a lock on supporting football by any means, but it's pretty big, even you can agree to that. I also think either of those towns would fill a geographic void that would help create some great rivalries.

    I don't know. The west coast folks seems ambivalent towards supporting their teams.

    @ballpeen said:

    Thanks....good info. None the less, I have to look at who would support a team. I am not sure Portland would, though I think Memphis or Birmingham would. Not that the south has a lock on supporting football by any means, but it's pretty big, even you can agree to that. I also think either of those towns would fill a geographic void that would help create some great rivalries.

    I don't know. The west coast folks seems ambivalent towards supporting their teams.

    Yes, point taken. Though, I do think that they would probably take to an NFL team. The likes of Portland and SLC may have gotten into their soccer teams simply because they were not chosen for the NFL. Those areas seem to be fairly supportive of their college teams.

    But yes, on the surface, a Birmingham would seem to be a better football town.

    Put it this way: Birmingham is a bigger DMA than Jacksonville, Buffalo, and New Orleans at this point.

  • @butler-browns said:

    Portland and Salt Lake City with NFL teams? No. Los Angeles and San Antonio should be next if they expand. If the Raiders move back to L.A., I'd like to see the NFL put a team in Las Vegas.

    ???? Did you read my post? LA and SA were included. Hello!!

    And here is the dope: Portland and Salt Lake are in fact larger markets than Las Vegas. Portland ranks 22d, SLC 33, while Vegas is only #40. It if it eyeballs on TVs that you want, then those two outrank Vegas.

    Plus, there is the gambling factor. The NFL is never going to go where gambling on their games is illegal.

    @the-gipper said:

    ???? Did you read my post? LA and SA were included. Hello!!

    And here is the dope: Portland and Salt Lake are in fact larger markets than Las Vegas. Portland ranks 22d, SLC 33, while Vegas is only #40. It if it eyeballs on TVs that you want, then those two outrank Vegas.

    Plus, there is the gambling factor. The NFL is never going to go where gambling on their games is illegal.

    Yes, I read your post. I was just giving my opinion.

    I don't think gambling should be a determining factor concerning a potential Las Vegas team.

  • @the-gipper said:

    ???? Did you read my post? LA and SA were included. Hello!!

    And here is the dope: Portland and Salt Lake are in fact larger markets than Las Vegas. Portland ranks 22d, SLC 33, while Vegas is only #40. It if it eyeballs on TVs that you want, then those two outrank Vegas.

    Plus, there is the gambling factor. The NFL is never going to go where gambling on their games is illegal.

    Yes, I read your post. I was just giving my opinion.

    I don't think gambling should be a determining factor concerning a potential Las Vegas team.

    @butler-browns said:

    Yes, I read your post.

    I was just giving my opinion.

    Well, you made it sound like I hadn't named LA and SA. Those in fact were my first two choices.

  • @butler-browns said:

    Yes, I read your post.

    I was just giving my opinion.

    Well, you made it sound like I hadn't named LA and SA. Those in fact were my first two choices.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, you made it sound like I hadn't named LA and SA. Those in fact were my first two choices.

    I don't see Portland or Salt Lake City. I've been to Portland. It's not bad, but nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's less than 200 miles from Seattle (aka, the most overrated city in America.) Salt Lake City I've been to once. It's nice. I have questions about a team being able to compete with the Jazz for fans. As expensive as NFL game tickets are...?

    And I don't get why there aren't major professional sports franchises in Las Vegas. I get the gambling, but it's legal in the state. Maybe they're worried the players will be spending all their off-time in the brothels? 😒

    Speaking of gambling, I'm betting that within five years, the Jaguars will be in Los Angeles if the Raiders don't move back their first.

  • Great Lakes Division

    Buffalo Bills

    Chicago Bears

    Cleveland Browns

    Detroit Lions

    Green Bay Packers

    Toronto ???

    River Valley Division

    Cincinnati Bengals

    Indianapolis Colts

    Minnesota Vikings

    Pittsburg Steelers

    St. Louis Rams

    New Orleans Saints

    Revolutionary / Northeast / Yankee Division

    Baltimore Ravens

    New England Patriots

    New York Giants

    New York Jets

    Philadelphia Eagles

    Washington Redskins

    Southeast / Confederate Division

    Atlana Falcons

    Carolina Panthers

    Jacksonville Jaguars

    Miami Dolphins

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

    Tennessee Titans

    Pacific Division

    Los Angeles ???

    Los Angeles / Portland / Vancouver ???

    Oakland Raiders

    San Diego Chargers

    San Francisco 49ers

    Seattle Seahawks

    Southwest / Longhorn / Mountain Division

    Arizona Cardinals

    Dallas Cowboys

    Denver Broncos

    Houston Texans

    Kansas City Chiefs

    San Antonio / Mexico City ???

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, you made it sound like I hadn't named LA and SA. Those in fact were my first two choices.

    I don't see Portland or Salt Lake City. I've been to Portland. It's not bad, but nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's less than 200 miles from Seattle (aka, the most overrated city in America.) Salt Lake City I've been to once. It's nice. I have questions about a team being able to compete with the Jazz for fans. As expensive as NFL game tickets are...?

    And I don't get why there aren't major professional sports franchises in Las Vegas. I get the gambling, but it's legal in the state. Maybe they're worried the players will be spending all their off-time in the brothels? 😒

    Speaking of gambling, I'm betting that within five years, the Jaguars will be in Los Angeles if the Raiders don't move back their first.

    @butler-browns said:

    I don't see Portland or Salt Lake City. I've been to Portland. It's not bad, but nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's less than 200 miles from Seattle (aka, the most overrated city in America.) Salt Lake City I've been to once. It's nice. I have questions about a team being able to compete with the Jazz for fans. As expensive as NFL game tickets are...?

    Well, as I mentioned, Portland is the 22d largest metropolitan market in the USA, and has been growing.

    Also, in my opinion, no NFL has to "compete" with other major league franchises for fans. I think that whereever the NFL is, it is the Big Dog in town. I think the same would hold true in Salt Lake.

    And I don't get why there aren't major professional sports franchises in Las Vegas. I get the gambling, but it's legal in the state. Maybe they're worried the players will be spending all their off-time in the brothels? 😒

    It is not just gambling: it is legalized gambling on sports. All these other states that have casinos do NOT have sports books. I believe only Nevada has that. (though I am not sure about Atlantic City). The NFL won't locate in a city where it is legal to bet on their games.

    People playing slots, poker, craps, roulette is one thing but betting on football is another.

    Speaking of gambling, I'm betting that within five years, the Jaguars will be in Los Angeles if the Raiders don't move back their first.

    Could very well be. But without Al Davis running things there now, things may not be as squirrely..

  • Great Lakes Division

    Buffalo Bills

    Chicago Bears

    Cleveland Browns

    Detroit Lions

    Green Bay Packers

    Toronto ???

    River Valley Division

    Cincinnati Bengals

    Indianapolis Colts

    Minnesota Vikings

    Pittsburg Steelers

    St. Louis Rams

    New Orleans Saints

    Revolutionary / Northeast / Yankee Division

    Baltimore Ravens

    New England Patriots

    New York Giants

    New York Jets

    Philadelphia Eagles

    Washington Redskins

    Southeast / Confederate Division

    Atlana Falcons

    Carolina Panthers

    Jacksonville Jaguars

    Miami Dolphins

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

    Tennessee Titans

    Pacific Division

    Los Angeles ???

    Los Angeles / Portland / Vancouver ???

    Oakland Raiders

    San Diego Chargers

    San Francisco 49ers

    Seattle Seahawks

    Southwest / Longhorn / Mountain Division

    Arizona Cardinals

    Dallas Cowboys

    Denver Broncos

    Houston Texans

    Kansas City Chiefs

    San Antonio / Mexico City ???

    @thaak said:

    Great Lakes Division

    Buffalo Bills

    Chicago Bears

    Cleveland Browns

    Detroit Lions

    Green Bay Packers

    Toronto ???

    River Valley Division

    Cincinnati Bengals

    Indianapolis Colts

    Minnesota Vikings

    Pittsburg Steelers

    St. Louis Rams

    New Orleans Saints

    Revolutionary / Northeast / Yankee Division

    Baltimore Ravens

    New England Patriots

    New York Giants

    New York Jets

    Philadelphia Eagles

    Washington Redskins

    Southeast / Confederate Division

    Atlana Falcons

    Carolina Panthers

    Jacksonville Jaguars

    Miami Dolphins

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

    Tennessee Titans

    Pacific Division

    Los Angeles ???

    Los Angeles / Portland / Vancouver ???

    Oakland Raiders

    San Diego Chargers

    San Francisco 49ers

    Seattle Seahawks

    Southwest / Longhorn / Mountain Division

    Arizona Cardinals

    Dallas Cowboys

    Denver Broncos

    Houston Texans

    Kansas City Chiefs

    San Antonio / Mexico City ???

    These aren't bad, except I don't really think that River Valley Division works very well. Also, I still think the NFL has a hands off policy toward Canada and the CFL. I do think the NFL wants to market to the Toronto area, but I think they want them to be Buffalo Bill fans and respect that CFL border (except for one game...if they really wanted the full monty on Toronto, they would probably just go ahead and move the Bills there)

  • I agree on the respect for the CFL. I would actually like to see the NFL help support the CFL as the did with NFL Europe. Help it expand and use it like a AAA team and stock it with 4-5 players....practice squad guys as we call them now.

    You might not have 32 teams in Canada, so 2 NFL teams help stock a team in Canada and pay some of the cost.

    I think you would build a ton of interest, not to mention gives a few of your guys a pretty good place to play.....I like Canadian rules to be honest, but I concede they might need to be equaled out.