Skip to content

Your Top 5

The Browns Board
82 30 4.2k
  • Here's an interesting comment made by Brent "SOBO" Sobleski:

    What I'm finding out very quickly is that Maualuga is a product of his own highlight reels and too many are biting hook line and sinker.

    Now that's not to say I wouldn't like the kid on this team but he's just not a legit option anymore with the Browns once again drafting in the top 5. If we traded down, then some interest would pique again, but right now those highlight reel hits are gaining him a lot of fans in Cleveland.

    What's bothered me, and what bothers me with a lot of prospects, is that there has seemed to be no apparent development in his game. He started out solid this year, the knee got dinged. and he hasn't been that dominant force I expected. Would I mind having him? No, not at all. Still like his game and he would be a good fit in the 34 where he'd have less to read and less room to cover. That said, he's proven himself not to be a top 5 pick.

  • Maybe they'll both be great, maybe they will both suck. who knows?

    LOL....the quandary that has been perplexing GM's and Coaches for decades.

  • Let's not be suckers for the highlight reel crap/self-generated noise.

    I mean, Terrell Owens gets way more air time than Andre Johnson, but who would you rather be throwing to?

  • Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

    Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

  • Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

    Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

    mz. said:

    Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

    Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

    One think about Mangini, he believes in taking guys with high character. I also like Curry. With all the Jrs. now coming out Curry is the only one holding his spot in the Top 5. With all the QB deficient teams in the top of the draft, I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

  • You are brilliant my man,,,,,,,,,even though you have been nearly 100% wrong on all things..........I am going to use your brilliance for all future ideas........meanwhile.......BOY DO YOU STINK IN ALL YOU SAY..the worst part is you have never admitted being wrong going on 97 out of a 100............oh my

  • mz. said:

    Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

    Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

    One think about Mangini, he believes in taking guys with high character. I also like Curry. With all the Jrs. now coming out Curry is the only one holding his spot in the Top 5. With all the QB deficient teams in the top of the draft, I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

    I'm almost positive he will at this point. I have a hard time seeing him in a Browns uni unless we trade back...he will not be picked #5.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

    I'm almost positive he will at this point. I have a hard time seeing him in a Browns uni unless we trade back...he will not be picked #5.

    mz. said:

    I'm almost positive he will at this point. I have a hard time seeing him in a Browns uni unless we trade back...he will not be picked #5.

    Funny you say that, look at my sig

    haha

  • Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

  • Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

    @sony-reed said:

    Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

    I would never say never..and i know you didnt directly ask me...but if they could pull this off and still land CRABTREE i would consider it...mostly just to unload shaffers HUGE contract and get some value for DA...I think Braylon will rebound...but i worry about how badly he was rattled all season...

  • Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

    @sony-reed said:

    Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Aaron Curry.

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    Any ILB? Sure. I think Patrick Willis would have been worth a top 5 pick. But I know you disagree.

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    If there were a Demarcus Ware-type prospect in this draft, I'd be all over it. I'm planning on watching some more of Aaron Maybin to see whether he could be that guy.

    But at this point, I don't see one.

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    I think Curry's floor is that he'll be a Jerod Mayo or Lance Briggs-type player; his ceiling is P. Willis or Derrick Brooks. At worst, you're taking a top 10 guy with a top 5 pick. And if things work out, you have a guy to build your defense around.

    To be honest, I haven't seen enough of Crabtree to say with any certainty how high I'd rate him. But I don't think he's a Calvin Johnson-type prospect; FWIW, nfldraftscout compares him to Braylon Edwards.

    So I'm not sure he'd be much of an upgrade over BE. By contrast, Curry would be a huge upgrade over Andra Davis. And trading down for Rey Rey, though appealing (to you guys 😉) is extremely unlikely.

    In the end, I think Curry is the practical, safe, best option.

  • I agree with you there on the Curry Analysis AZBrowns, We can refer to what Pioli said recently in an interview that your 1st and 2nd round guys should be able to come in and contribute right away and if Curry has a big learning curve to have to overcome then you just screwed away your pick.

    We have had enough projects in here and need someone who can step in and take charge. Someone who is smart and can read offenses not someone who has a brain fart and and cant menatlly catch up to NFL game speed. Maualuga can be that guy who can be a starter from day 1.

    @mr.-t said:

    I agree with you there on the Curry Analysis AZBrowns, We can refer to what Pioli said recently in an interview that your 1st and 2nd round guys should be able to come in and contribute right away and if Curry has a big learning curve to have to overcome then you just screwed away your pick.

    We have had enough projects in here and need someone who can step in and take charge. Someone who is smart and can read offenses not someone who has a brain fart and and cant menatlly catch up to NFL game speed. Maualuga can be that guy who can be a starter from day 1.

    You have that the wrong way. Curry is polished and NFL ready. Maualuga still is out of plays way too much and needs to be coached up a bit more.

    Also, Wake played in the 34 alot already.

  • Maybe we could find a gem out of one of these two?

    msufat.jpeg

    FatFootball.jpg

  • 1. Curry

    2. Mays

    3. Okrapo

    4. Crabtree

    5. Ma-lalaland.

  • Aloysius said:

    Here's a good clip of Kiper & McShay talking about their top five draft prospects:

    After watching it, I started thinking about who would be on my top 5 list of guys I'd want us to take with the 5th pick.

    Here's what I came up with:

    1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    2. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    3. Taylor Mays, S, USC
    4. Aaron Maybin, DE-OLB, Penn State
    5. Malcolm Jenkins, CB-S, OSU
    Maybin at #4 is more of a placeholder than a real ranking. I haven't watched enough of him to declare confidently where I'll rank him, but I'm guessing he'll be somewhere in the middle of my top 10 options.

    Who are your top 5 guys?

    FUN stuff Aloy. Where did Heckofajobbrownie go to? I'd swear you and him were the same guy Aloy - that's a compliment. He was a real draft guru and really made this place fun pre draft. Last year he said Flugel watch these highlights of Matt Ryan - he's the best pick in the draft. Guess what???? He was the best pick in the draft.

    Anyway, here's my top 5:

    1) Taylor Mays

    2) Aaron Curry

    3) Knowshon Moreno

    4) Andre Smith

    5) Michael Crabtree

    If Percy Harvin comes out - he goes to #4 and Crabtree slides to #6.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    1) Taylor Mays

    2) Aaron Curry

    3) Knowshon Moreno

    4) Andre Smith

    5) Michael Crabtree

    If Percy Harvin comes out - he goes to #4 and Crabtree slides to #6.

    - Tom F.

    ESPN Radio indicated Mays was staying in school. Revised list:

    1) Aaron Curry LB

    2) Kowshon Moreno RB

    3) Andre Smith OT

    4) Michael Crabtree WR

    5) BJ Raji DT

    - Tom F.

  • Thanks for the levity, Mr T. Those pics cracked me up!

  • Great thread guys.....I'm still big on Rey Rey, just looks like a football player to me. I don't think he'd be a "miss." For those who are high on Crabtree, I also agree he's a sure-fire pro, but my thinking is we DESPERATELY need a difference maker on defense, someone who can lay the hammer down, like our hated bretheren in the AFC North (James Harrison, Suggs, for instance).

    We can't stop the run. Maybe, just maybe, a Maualuga can be the difference maker. Don't you think our LBs, as a whole unit, are near the bottom of the NFL?

  • 1. Aaron Curry ILB/OLB WF

    2. Malcolm Jenkins CB OSU

    3. Rey Maualuga ILB USC

    4. Aaron Maybin DE PSU

    5. Clint Sintim OLB VA

    My biggest thing is I'm basically split on my top four. I'd rather rank them as 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d. The problem with this is I'd rather see the Browns trade down and grab one of these guys in the 10-15 range. Hell, presuming Maybin declares I may move him to the top of my board, but there isn't a clear-cut guy that stands out to me.

    My hope is with an abundance of OT's needed, some team will want enough to leapfrog and grab one of the top OT's before they get scooped up. Trade down and get back our 3rd rounder (thanks savage). Then use that 3rd rounder on Clay Matthews.....and give him #57.

  • Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

    Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

    I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

    IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

    Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

    @sony-reed said:

    The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

    I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1

    First of all, Hawk was slowed by two injuries this year which dropped his tackle total to 86.

    In his rookie year he had an outstanding 120 tackles, followed by 105 his second year.

    To say he hasn't been "Close" to the player they thought is completely inaccurate. This was his only disappointing year but as I said, he was injured for much of it.

    I have no idea where you are getting your ideas about Curry. You are the only person I know that doesn't think very highly of him. You must have really scouted him closely.

    In the 3-4 defense, what position is more important or better a choice at the #5 overall pick?

    In the last half dozen years there have been a lot of LB's that are worth that kind of money. Lewis, Urlacher, Thomas, Vrabel, Harrison, Wilson, Tatupu, Merriman, Ware......Just to name a few off the top of my head.

    What I had to chuckle over was your mentioning that the Browns should draft Crabtree with the #5 pick. This position is actually the position in which you are taking the biggest chance of drafting a Bust. In the last few years almost 50% of the WR's taken in the first round have been a bust or are at best marginal players.

  • I know you guys aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, but if I were in your shoes I'd be all over Orakpo. He is the prototype 3-4 OLB like a Demarcus Ware or Merriman. Curry will be a good LB, but he has no where near the pass rush capabilities of an Orakpo. Ray M. is another David Harris. Big dude, strong vs the run, but runs out of a lot of plays and doesn't offer much in coverage vs backs and TE's.