Skip to content

Camp Battles

The Browns Board
5 5 738
  • With training camp approaching, this is my list of the most interesting competetions we will see in camp this year:

    (in order)

    1) Weeden vs. McCoy – Starting QB *starting to look like this battle is over

    2) Pinkston vs. Lauvao vs. Miller – Starting Gs

    3) Fujita vs. Maiava vs. Johnson vs. Acho – Starting SLB (even after Fujita’s suspension)

    4) Young vs. Hagg – Starting FS

    5) Marecic vs. Smelley– Starting FB and roster spot

    6) Hughes vs. Witt vs. Paxson – Starting LDT in place of Taylor

    7) Mitchell vs. Cooper (UDFA) vs. Saffold (UDFA) – last WR spot

    😎 Brown vs. Patterson – Starting CB2

    9) Davis(UDFA) vs. Dockery – Battle for last CB spot

    comments...? What am I missing?

  • 1. Weeden will most definitely start, you're right in saying this one's over.

    2. I'm predicting Pinkston at LG and Miller at RG, just because Lauvao wasn't good last year.

    3. I still think Emmanuel Acho should start while fujita serves his suspension, but that's probably because i'm biased towards UT players. Realistically, Johnson will start in place of Fujita.

    4.The browns have already pencikled in Hagg as starter, but there's still time for Young.

    5.I think Marcieic will still be starter come Opening Day, but Smelley will eventually be moved to starter when Marcieic dosen't deliver. Marcieic played Lineback in college, if I remeber correctly, so maybe another name added to our backup linebackers.

    6.Paxson will be a spot starter until Hughes/Winn get more expirience.

    7.I See Cooper getting this job because of his familiarity with Weeden.

    8. Since Sheldon Brown may move to Safety, I say Patterson gets the starter spot alongside Joe Haden.

    9.Nothing to say about this one, I haven't seen these guys play.

  • 1. Weeden will most definitely start, you're right in saying this one's over.

    2. I'm predicting Pinkston at LG and Miller at RG, just because Lauvao wasn't good last year.

    3. I still think Emmanuel Acho should start while fujita serves his suspension, but that's probably because i'm biased towards UT players. Realistically, Johnson will start in place of Fujita.

    4.The browns have already pencikled in Hagg as starter, but there's still time for Young.

    5.I think Marcieic will still be starter come Opening Day, but Smelley will eventually be moved to starter when Marcieic dosen't deliver. Marcieic played Lineback in college, if I remeber correctly, so maybe another name added to our backup linebackers.

    6.Paxson will be a spot starter until Hughes/Winn get more expirience.

    7.I See Cooper getting this job because of his familiarity with Weeden.

    8. Since Sheldon Brown may move to Safety, I say Patterson gets the starter spot alongside Joe Haden.

    9.Nothing to say about this one, I haven't seen these guys play.

    @magico234 said:

    1. Weeden will most definitely start, you're right in saying this one's over.

    2. I'm predicting Pinkston at LG and Miller at RG, just because Lauvao wasn't good last year.

    3. I still think Emmanuel Acho should start while fujita serves his suspension, but that's probably because i'm biased towards UT players. Realistically, Johnson will start in place of Fujita.

    4.The browns have already pencikled in Hagg as starter, but there's still time for Young.

    5.I think Marcieic will still be starter come Opening Day, but Smelley will eventually be moved to starter when Marcieic dosen't deliver. Marcieic played Lineback in college, if I remeber correctly, so maybe another name added to our backup linebackers.

    6.Paxson will be a spot starter until Hughes/Winn get more expirience.

    7.I See Cooper getting this job because of his familiarity with Weeden.

    8. Since Sheldon Brown may move to Safety, I say Patterson gets the starter spot alongside Joe Haden.

    9.Nothing to say about this one, I haven't seen these guys play.

    Sheldon Brown is not moving to Safety! It's just been speculation driven by media and fans. All of the Browns organization has shot down that assumption repeatedly. At least for this year Sheldon Brown will not be playing safety and there is little reason to think he'd move there before getting cut.

    I seriously doubt that Miller beats out Lauvao for the RG spot, but good security.

    The D-line will be a ton of rotation anyway, so someone may win the "starting job" but I expect Winn, Hughes, Paxon and Schaefering maybe? to all split time. Rubin obviously plays more than the other interior guys, but hopefully we can sub him out more as well.

    Is Cooper any different than Norwood? Don't we have enough "slot receivers"? I guess if Mitchell shows nothing then I'd keep Cooper..

    Other than that I am most interested to see how the 3rd LB spot plays out and which running back gets cut out of Ogbonnaya, Hardesty, and Jackson. I think it's assumed Ogbonnaya will be cut but there really hasnt been too much talk about him, which has surprised me since he played so much (yes under necessity) for us last year. Doubt we keep 4 RBs..

  • Didn't you hear cribbs is gonna replace hardesty as a RB?

    ugh....

  • With training camp approaching, this is my list of the most interesting competetions we will see in camp this year:

    (in order)

    1) Weeden vs. McCoy – Starting QB *starting to look like this battle is over

    Ya, it's over.

    2) Pinkston vs. Lauvao vs. Miller – Starting Gs

    Miller won't breakthrough

    3) Fujita vs. Maiava vs. Johnson vs. Acho – Starting SLB (even after Fujita’s suspension)

    Maiava during the suspension, Fujita after

    4) Young vs. Hagg – Starting FS

    This is the first real battle I see. Move this to #1

    5) Marecic vs. Smelley– Starting FB and roster spot

    Marecic is a lock

    6) Hughes vs. Witt vs. Paxson – Starting LDT in place of Taylor

    This will be a real and interesting battle, move to #2

    7) Mitchell vs. Cooper (UDFA) vs. Saffold (UDFA) – last WR spot

    Cooper and Mitchell will not only make the roster they will be in the thick of things on Sundays.

    😎 Brown vs. Patterson – Starting CB2

    Patterson's new contract tells me they are replacing the aging Brown

    9) Davis(UDFA) vs. Dockery – Battle for last CB spot

    Not sure who the "last" corner will be, but Buster Skrine will make some noise.

    As far as starting positions go, I think there are three real battles: Free Safety, LDT and #2 WR. There will be other "battles" but deep down we know who will win them.

    Zombo