Tailgate Now
-
I know I haven't made it up as much the last few years as I did in 07 and 08, but I am do enjoy hanging out with everybody at the tailgates. And I am with Howie, a tailgate is not a tailgate unless you are outside in the elements and goofing about (or something like that). This year we need to improve upon the fun of years past. With less cooking we can ALL hang out and have fun together without the stress.
I will pitch in bringing something for a few games this year, or I would donate generously to a concept where we get some catering or something like that. My goal is to be healthy and ready to go come September so please don't suggest we all start sitting inside.
Only 85 more days until our first one of the year!
-
I know I haven't made it up as much the last few years as I did in 07 and 08, but I am do enjoy hanging out with everybody at the tailgates. And I am with Howie, a tailgate is not a tailgate unless you are outside in the elements and goofing about (or something like that). This year we need to improve upon the fun of years past. With less cooking we can ALL hang out and have fun together without the stress.
I will pitch in bringing something for a few games this year, or I would donate generously to a concept where we get some catering or something like that. My goal is to be healthy and ready to go come September so please don't suggest we all start sitting inside.
Only 85 more days until our first one of the year!
I know I haven't made it up as much the last few years as I did in 07 and 08, but I am do enjoy hanging out with everybody at the tailgates. And I am with Howie, a tailgate is not a tailgate unless you are outside in the elements and goofing about (or something like that). This year we need to improve upon the fun of years past. With less cooking we can ALL hang out and have fun together without the stress.
This is closer to the format that we'll morph into. The tailgate party will continue to be a gathering- which is all it ever really was to begin with. Let's face it. Fans of the Browns, our opponents, or just the NFL came to our parties to meet each other- not to eat a grilled cheeseburger.
We'll still be meeting each Sunday at the same place and same time. The only difference is that when it is time to satisfy the hunger pains, some us of may sneak over to the Flat Iron for a brunch and then return to the party. Other may decide to bring a sub sandwich or whatever. We'll still begin and end in the lot. i imagine a large number will remain at the lot the entire time.
i've talked to fans on very successful parties that do not have organized cooking activities. Their parties are great. i'm we'll be tinkering with this process as the season progresses. it will be fine.
-
No doubt Ed. You guys were the only ones I know of that did it the way you did. It was simply a gathering of friends. Sometimes everybody did their own thing. Other times several in that group coordinated, talked a bit then you throw a pot-luck type deal. Everybody bring something and you go from there.
The brunch sounds good.....is it really a brunch, as in omelet stations etc?
-
No doubt Ed. You guys were the only ones I know of that did it the way you did. It was simply a gathering of friends. Sometimes everybody did their own thing. Other times several in that group coordinated, talked a bit then you throw a pot-luck type deal. Everybody bring something and you go from there.
The brunch sounds good.....is it really a brunch, as in omelet stations etc?
-
I know I haven't made it up as much the last few years as I did in 07 and 08, but I am do enjoy hanging out with everybody at the tailgates. And I am with Howie, a tailgate is not a tailgate unless you are outside in the elements and goofing about (or something like that). This year we need to improve upon the fun of years past. With less cooking we can ALL hang out and have fun together without the stress.
This is closer to the format that we'll morph into. The tailgate party will continue to be a gathering- which is all it ever really was to begin with. Let's face it. Fans of the Browns, our opponents, or just the NFL came to our parties to meet each other- not to eat a grilled cheeseburger.
We'll still be meeting each Sunday at the same place and same time. The only difference is that when it is time to satisfy the hunger pains, some us of may sneak over to the Flat Iron for a brunch and then return to the party. Other may decide to bring a sub sandwich or whatever. We'll still begin and end in the lot. i imagine a large number will remain at the lot the entire time.
i've talked to fans on very successful parties that do not have organized cooking activities. Their parties are great. i'm we'll be tinkering with this process as the season progresses. it will be fine.
This is closer to the format that we'll morph into. The tailgate party will continue to be a gathering- which is all it ever really was to begin with. Let's face it. Fans of the Browns, our opponents, or just the NFL came to our parties to meet each other- not to eat a grilled cheeseburger.
We'll still be meeting each Sunday at the same place and same time. The only difference is that when it is time to satisfy the hunger pains, some us of may sneak over to the Flat Iron for a brunch and then return to the party. Other may decide to bring a sub sandwich or whatever. We'll still begin and end in the lot. i imagine a large number will remain at the lot the entire time.
i've talked to fans on very successful parties that do not have organized cooking activities. Their parties are great. i'm we'll be tinkering with this process as the season progresses. it will be fine.
So, basically, in addition to BYOB, it is BYOF. No real problem with that. I have never been much of a "griller". I don't even have one at home. WTF, if I have to I will just do a McDonald's/Wendys..or somewhere else run before I get there. I don't care. I'll eat something....(I am not one to imbibe on an empty stomach). If someone else suggests that they will provide food if I kick in $5-10 as we have been doing with Ed, that is good too.
One suggestion: perhaps the group could establish sort of a regular location to get together at to watch the away games....though my couch is not that bad of a place.
-
No doubt Ed. You guys were the only ones I know of that did it the way you did. It was simply a gathering of friends. Sometimes everybody did their own thing. Other times several in that group coordinated, talked a bit then you throw a pot-luck type deal. Everybody bring something and you go from there.
The brunch sounds good.....is it really a brunch, as in omelet stations etc?
No doubt Ed. You guys were the only ones I know of that did it the way you did. It was simply a gathering of friends. Sometimes everybody did their own thing. Other times several in that group coordinated, talked a bit then you throw a pot-luck type deal. Everybody bring something and you go from there.
The brunch sounds good.....is it really a brunch, as in omelet stations etc?
Pot luck seems fine too. Though I may not cook, I can always bring a KFC bucket.
-
I like to cook but won't all that often as it is a pain to lug the gear 600 miles.
Somewhere around there will be a table. I'll still bring a box of cookies as I always do and will be sure to chow down at the Marriott before I show up.
I always bring a cooler as I like to stop at Grandapa's Cheese Barn down around Ashland to pick up a few wedges to take home, so it isn't a problem for me to keep things cool if need be.
-
I like to cook but won't all that often as it is a pain to lug the gear 600 miles.
Somewhere around there will be a table. I'll still bring a box of cookies as I always do and will be sure to chow down at the Marriott before I show up.
I always bring a cooler as I like to stop at Grandapa's Cheese Barn down around Ashland to pick up a few wedges to take home, so it isn't a problem for me to keep things cool if need be.
I like to cook but won't all that often as it is a pain to lug the gear 600 miles.
Somewhere around there will be a table. I'll still bring a box of cookies as I always do and will be sure to chow down at the Marriott before I show up.
I always bring a cooler as I like to stop at Grandapa's Cheese Barn down around Ashland to pick up a few wedges to take home, so it isn't a problem for me to keep things cool if need be.
I have passed by Grandpa's Cheese Barn dozens of time taking my son to school without ever stopping in there. Is it really that good?
-
Going to be great to meet some members this year as I am going to the Game in Nov Im coming from Cape cod Anyone want some Lobstaaaaaa!!!!!!!lol Cannot wait Go browns.
-
I like to cook but won't all that often as it is a pain to lug the gear 600 miles.
Somewhere around there will be a table. I'll still bring a box of cookies as I always do and will be sure to chow down at the Marriott before I show up.
I always bring a cooler as I like to stop at Grandapa's Cheese Barn down around Ashland to pick up a few wedges to take home, so it isn't a problem for me to keep things cool if need be.
I have passed by Grandpa's Cheese Barn dozens of time taking my son to school without ever stopping in there. Is it really that good?
I have passed by Grandpa's Cheese Barn dozens of time taking my son to school without ever stopping in there. Is it really that good?
Tom, you'll love it. Lot's of free samples. They believe in taste before you buy. I almost always stop once every trip up. With all the samples, you can snack up. Really man, they have a good shop....you need to stop.
It's a gem. A great cheese shop. They have a horseradish cheddar that is out of this world. Most is made by the Amish all around the place.
When I travel I stop at places like this....and Grandpa's is top quality. When I head to Gainesville to catch the Gator's, there is a place in south Georgia I have to stop to grab a bag or four of premium pecans and some peach salsa.
Go to Grandpa's.
Oh, I forgot about the jars of pickled garlic.....Man, talk about a great thing!
-
I have passed by Grandpa's Cheese Barn dozens of time taking my son to school without ever stopping in there. Is it really that good?
Tom, you'll love it. Lot's of free samples. They believe in taste before you buy. I almost always stop once every trip up. With all the samples, you can snack up. Really man, they have a good shop....you need to stop.
It's a gem. A great cheese shop. They have a horseradish cheddar that is out of this world. Most is made by the Amish all around the place.
When I travel I stop at places like this....and Grandpa's is top quality. When I head to Gainesville to catch the Gator's, there is a place in south Georgia I have to stop to grab a bag or four of premium pecans and some peach salsa.
Go to Grandpa's.
Oh, I forgot about the jars of pickled garlic.....Man, talk about a great thing!
Tom, you'll love it. Lot's of free samples. They believe in taste before you buy. I almost always stop once every trip up. With all the samples, you can snack up. Really man, they have a good shop....you need to stop.
It's a gem. A great cheese shop. They have a horseradish cheddar that is out of this world. Most is made by the Amish all around the place.
When I travel I stop at places like this....and Grandpa's is top quality. When I head to Gainesville to catch the Gator's, there is a place in south Georgia I have to stop to grab a bag or four of premium pecans and some peach salsa.
Go to Grandpa's.
Oh, I forgot about the jars of pickled garlic.....Man, talk about a great thing!
Next Tailgate you will have to stop and grab a few wedges to share. Next time I go to see my son I will have to stop and take him a care package of the cheese so he can have some at school. He is now working at his school this summer as a research assistant. He won't even come back home before school starts at the end of August. He'll just stay there and start going to class. I am sure he would appreciate the cheese. My wife is from Wisconsin, so she fashions herself a cheese aficianado, though I am not so sure.
-
I did the last tailgate....I set out a smoked Gouda, a bleu of some sort, and a white cheddar, along with an assortment of crackers.
-
I did the last tailgate....I set out a smoked Gouda, a bleu of some sort, and a white cheddar, along with an assortment of crackers.
-
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
-
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
Though I only started joining you the last 2-3 years, I do thank you for the time and effort you have put into it over the years.
-
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
I don't blame you. I appreciate what ya'll have done. I fully understand the cooking part is the easy part. The prep and clean-up in the part nobody see's.
-
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
There will be ample quantities of the Orange Stuff Opening Day for sure.

-
Guys heres a little history of our tailgates
Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.
As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much
Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was
We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!
I still have a 200# grill for sale lol
There will be ample quantities of the Orange Stuff Opening Day for sure.

-
-
Can't wait to see you guys for the opener - shorts and tee shirts and orange shit - that's all we need.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login
