Skip to content

Tailgate Now

The Browns Board
44 17 2.3k
  • Can't wait to see you guys for the opener - shorts and tee shirts and orange shit - that's all we need. 🙂

  • @represent said:

    Fixt

    Well, it does come in green, but you can't get it in the USA.

    flvbot3__1311260513.jpg

    @hoorta said:

    Well, it does come in green, but you can't get it in the USA.

    flvbot3__1311260513.jpg

    well, i guess that depends. some is "made" right here in the USA, but not from worm wood. 😉

  • @sperk said:

    Guys heres a little history of our tailgates

    Years back when Ed and I started we had only 4 of us Jim, Dave and the 2 of us. We ate good Ribs. steaks that kind of things weekly. We were sooned joined with some of Daves family and friends. We had grew to 10-15 people weekly but still made the kabobs, london broils deep fied turkeys to name a few. Then we lost our browns. When we returned we sarted at the old lot next to the rapid lines, there we met up with Stan and Kathy and the friends from the browns board, we grew alot. Me and Ed would try to plan a meal not knowing for sure if we were getting 25 people or 70. There were time sitting in Eds kitchen putting together hundreds of kabobs. we would laugh and say what the hell are we doing. This went on for a couple of years and we really did love it, but as all things go we started to get tired of all the shopping the preparing the cooking and then Ed had to do clean the mess up when he got home. Not an easy task to do. We went to mainly burgers and brats to try to make it a little easier on preparing but we kind of decided we had enough. This is not the end of our tailgates its just the end of an era. 2 old men cooking. We will still meet every week at the same place and still meet the most pasionate people around.

    As I said I loved doing it and wouldnt of changed a thing. Well maybe not drink so much

    Thanks everyone for making it is as much fun as it was

    We will still have our best tailgate of the year on opening day!

    I still have a 200# grill for sale lol

    I don't blame you. I appreciate what ya'll have done. I fully understand the cooking part is the easy part. The prep and clean-up in the part nobody see's.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't blame you. I appreciate what ya'll have done. I fully understand the cooking part is the easy part. The prep and clean-up in the part nobody see's.

    You're right. The prep work starts with all the emails that hit us. i need to respond to each one (usually multiple times) and keep track of them by game. As each game approaches, i need to re-establish contact to make sure their plans or intentions have not changed. i found over the years that that was an important step.

    Getting a reasonable headcount was tough and somewhat stressful. If you don't believe that i stressed out over this, ask Don or Stan. You never want to run out of food, but you don't want to be wasteful either. Groups of 6-10 from out-of-town (usually from Canada or the visiting team) were common, and you want to make sure they have a great tailgate experience. There would be no-shows, especially when the weather turned cold. To give you a sense of the number of visitors, our core group is about 12 people, but our average party is 35-40. Our largest group was over 80 (the fun group from Rochester). Each party required a lot of coordination.

    i shopped for most food Thursday evening. On Saturday morning i buy the breads and veggies. We also helped out-of-towners that couldn't get a cooler by shopping for their beverages. Saturday was food prep day. Then i'd pack the van making sure we had enough charcoal, napkins, plates, etc.

    Sunday morning (about 7:00am) i'd pack and load the coolers and then pick up Don for the journey to the lot. The most relaxing time was from 8:30am till 10:00am. That's when i'd get to talk some football. Once the grille was lighted, it was non-stop cooking then tear down then repacking then off to the Stadium. After the game, all the stuff needed to be washed (cooking utensils, tin containers, etc.) and stacked in the basement until the next party.

    Gipper, the pot luck idea is a good one, but probably won't work unless we limit the party to just the regulars. The out-of-owners normally won't be able to help out, and 12 people trying to provide food for 35-50 or more will become annoying for most.

    Again, i've spoke to many who have great parties without the food aspect. i'm hopefull that this simplified format will work out.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I don't blame you. I appreciate what ya'll have done. I fully understand the cooking part is the easy part. The prep and clean-up in the part nobody see's.

    You're right. The prep work starts with all the emails that hit us. i need to respond to each one (usually multiple times) and keep track of them by game. As each game approaches, i need to re-establish contact to make sure their plans or intentions have not changed. i found over the years that that was an important step.

    Getting a reasonable headcount was tough and somewhat stressful. If you don't believe that i stressed out over this, ask Don or Stan. You never want to run out of food, but you don't want to be wasteful either. Groups of 6-10 from out-of-town (usually from Canada or the visiting team) were common, and you want to make sure they have a great tailgate experience. There would be no-shows, especially when the weather turned cold. To give you a sense of the number of visitors, our core group is about 12 people, but our average party is 35-40. Our largest group was over 80 (the fun group from Rochester). Each party required a lot of coordination.

    i shopped for most food Thursday evening. On Saturday morning i buy the breads and veggies. We also helped out-of-towners that couldn't get a cooler by shopping for their beverages. Saturday was food prep day. Then i'd pack the van making sure we had enough charcoal, napkins, plates, etc.

    Sunday morning (about 7:00am) i'd pack and load the coolers and then pick up Don for the journey to the lot. The most relaxing time was from 8:30am till 10:00am. That's when i'd get to talk some football. Once the grille was lighted, it was non-stop cooking then tear down then repacking then off to the Stadium. After the game, all the stuff needed to be washed (cooking utensils, tin containers, etc.) and stacked in the basement until the next party.

    Gipper, the pot luck idea is a good one, but probably won't work unless we limit the party to just the regulars. The out-of-owners normally won't be able to help out, and 12 people trying to provide food for 35-50 or more will become annoying for most.

    Again, i've spoke to many who have great parties without the food aspect. i'm hopefull that this simplified format will work out.

    @roach said:

    You're right. The prep work starts with all the emails that hit us. i need to respond to each one (usually multiple times) and keep track of them by game. As each game approaches, i need to re-establish contact to make sure their plans or intentions have not changed. i found over the years that that was an important step.

    Getting a reasonable headcount was tough and somewhat stressful. If you don't believe that i stressed out over this, ask Don or Stan. You never want to run out of food, but you don't want to be wasteful either. Groups of 6-10 from out-of-town (usually from Canada or the visiting team) were common, and you want to make sure they have a great tailgate experience. There would be no-shows, especially when the weather turned cold. To give you a sense of the number of visitors, our core group is about 12 people, but our average party is 35-40. Our largest group was over 80 (the fun group from Rochester). Each party required a lot of coordination.

    i shopped for most food Thursday evening. On Saturday morning i buy the breads and veggies. We also helped out-of-towners that couldn't get a cooler by shopping for their beverages. Saturday was food prep day. Then i'd pack the van making sure we had enough charcoal, napkins, plates, etc.

    Sunday morning (about 7:00am) i'd pack and load the coolers and then pick up Don for the journey to the lot. The most relaxing time was from 8:30am till 10:00am. That's when i'd get to talk some football. Once the grille was lighted, it was non-stop cooking then tear down then repacking then off to the Stadium. After the game, all the stuff needed to be washed (cooking utensils, tin containers, etc.) and stacked in the basement until the next party.

    Gipper, the pot luck idea is a good one, but probably won't work unless we limit the party to just the regulars. The out-of-owners normally won't be able to help out, and 12 people trying to provide food for 35-50 or more will become annoying for most.

    Again, i've spoke to many who have great parties without the food aspect. i'm hopefull that this simplified format will work out.

    Fair deal. From now on it can be BYOF. The only thing that may be helpful would be to bring some tables to set stuff on.

  • Gipp thats easy stuff, we will get stan to steal us one. Maybe a couple of dips and some chips would work and of course some soup!!!!!

  • No doubt. I figured we could always walk next door for some soup. 😉

    This is good. I like the way it was, but I also like BS'n with you and Ed, but you two got serious around 10am. I'd rather you two got to enjoy the day. When ever I decide to cook up a batch of something, you guys are always a part of the inner circle if you choose.

  • Tailgates are great but the only problem is all the work that goes with them by a few like Ed etc.

    I'm more of a stand around, drink and tell true stories kind of dude anyway than be all concerned about eating and ruining my buzz. The most work I like to do for a tailgate nowadays is finding a convenient place to relieve myself.

    Since I moved to Packer country here in Appleton (25 miles south of Green Bay), I am hoping to make it to the opener if possible so I can see Howds and Furns amongst the other regs like Peens and Satn 🙂

  • Hey Riffer! That's great news about the opener - it isn't that long now. It's going to be a blast even minus the GREAT GREAT food that chefs Ed and Don did for us.

    Maybe I'll bring one of those disposable charcoal grills and roast me a parking lot squirrel.

    See you in a couple of months.

    Ed, I'm actually looking forward to having an opportunity for a good chin wag with you this year - you're right, you were always so busy during the tailgates and last year I don't feel like I got to talk to you much at all - yet again, thank you and Don for all the hard work you guys did to make the tailgates as special as they were.

    And I am not going to mention soup!

    Howie.

  • Tailgates are great but the only problem is all the work that goes with them by a few like Ed etc.

    I'm more of a stand around, drink and tell true stories kind of dude anyway than be all concerned about eating and ruining my buzz. The most work I like to do for a tailgate nowadays is finding a convenient place to relieve myself.

    Since I moved to Packer country here in Appleton (25 miles south of Green Bay), I am hoping to make it to the opener if possible so I can see Howds and Furns amongst the other regs like Peens and Satn 🙂

    @riffer-x said:

    I'm more of a stand around, drink and tell true stories kind of dude anyway than be all concerned about eating and ruining my buzz.

    i'm (unfortunately) the same way. we do parking lot cookouts at our little local dive bar every saturday afternoon. everything from clams on the halfshell, thai chicken satay cocountut shrimp kebobs to the norm burgers and dogs AND even though i'm a major contributor by buying and prepping the food (we've got one guy who knows how to cook anything on the grill so he's the grillmaster) i rarely eat anything but rather enjoy watching the others eat and love the grub. once i start drinking i lose my appetite for food but gain appetite for the liquid gold.

    that being said i'd lolve to make it to a tailgate with all the gang here. i would bring a friend or 2 and bring food and drink but might move to a local bar come game time. i'm not one for being in huge public places where you can't smoke and have to wait in line to take a piss, let alone not to be able to see the game like i like too which is on a big screen tv with closeups and replays while amongst other rabid fans oredering up their favorite appertiffs.

    i would also bring a case of customized tshirts for free pickins. just would want a universal theme without having to worry about copyright infringement in any way. kinda liked the tee i saw at a tailgate years back where the boys from over the pond had shirts saying "flew blank many miles and all i got was a field goal and this stupid shirt." maybe if there was a logo (besides type) for the forum we could do that as a left chest print and maybe something like opening day 2012 tailgate something something.

    just letting you know the 2 friends i would bring would be a pitsspuke fan and a giants fan. but we come in peace and for good times.

  • We don't care who people root for. That was part of the deal this group had....giving a place for other fans to join in a tailgate. I don't think that is going to change.

    From the lot these guys use, there is a decent watering hole about 100 yards away where you could watch the game, or maybe a 10 minute walk up to the warehouse district where you could find a dozen places to sit and watch if going to games isn't your thing.

  • No doubt. I figured we could always walk next door for some soup. 😉

    This is good. I like the way it was, but I also like BS'n with you and Ed, but you two got serious around 10am. I'd rather you two got to enjoy the day. When ever I decide to cook up a batch of something, you guys are always a part of the inner circle if you choose.

    @ballpeen said:

    No doubt. I figured we could always walk next door for some soup. 😉

    This is good. I like the way it was, but I also like BS'n with you and Ed, but you two got serious around 10am. I'd rather you two got to enjoy the day. When ever I decide to cook up a batch of something, you guys are always a part of the inner circle if you choose.

    Russ, always the class guy. Thanks! maybe Stan could help you lmao