Skip to content

Josh Gordon - Supplemental Draft Pick

The Browns Board
34 16 3.0k
  • There is not much film on this guy. But with our talent at wide receiver still being bottom of the barrel, do we risk a pick from next years draft to see if this kid pans out. His story is simple. Started out at Baylor had his career best year in 2010 as a sophomore with 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns (all being thrown by the then unknown RGIII). He chose to leave the team after being suspended indefinitely for an off-campus drug arrest. Gordon joined Utah, but was forced to sit out last season due to transfer rules. He is 6'4, 220, runs a 4.4 40. Qualities every team wants in a #1 receiver. His talent is apparent but so is his off the field issues. Will the FO even consider this as the supplemental draft begins July 12th.

  • There is not much film on this guy. But with our talent at wide receiver still being bottom of the barrel, do we risk a pick from next years draft to see if this kid pans out. His story is simple. Started out at Baylor had his career best year in 2010 as a sophomore with 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns (all being thrown by the then unknown RGIII). He chose to leave the team after being suspended indefinitely for an off-campus drug arrest. Gordon joined Utah, but was forced to sit out last season due to transfer rules. He is 6'4, 220, runs a 4.4 40. Qualities every team wants in a #1 receiver. His talent is apparent but so is his off the field issues. Will the FO even consider this as the supplemental draft begins July 12th.

    @kentlife said:

    There is not much film on this guy. But with our talent at wide receiver still being bottom of the barrel, do we risk a pick from next years draft to see if this kid pans out. His story is simple. Started out at Baylor had his career best year in 2010 as a sophomore with 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns (all being thrown by the then unknown RGIII). He chose to leave the team after being suspended indefinitely for an off-campus drug arrest. Gordon joined Utah, but was forced to sit out last season due to transfer rules. He is 6'4, 220, runs a 4.4 40. Qualities every team wants in a #1 receiver. His talent is apparent but so is his off the field issues. Will the FO even consider this as the supplemental draft begins July 12th.

    I'd say they would not consider him. They seem to try and stay away from the off-the-field trouble guys. And for some strange reason seem ok with our current crop of WR's.

  • @kentlife said:

    There is not much film on this guy. But with our talent at wide receiver still being bottom of the barrel, do we risk a pick from next years draft to see if this kid pans out. His story is simple. Started out at Baylor had his career best year in 2010 as a sophomore with 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns (all being thrown by the then unknown RGIII). He chose to leave the team after being suspended indefinitely for an off-campus drug arrest. Gordon joined Utah, but was forced to sit out last season due to transfer rules. He is 6'4, 220, runs a 4.4 40. Qualities every team wants in a #1 receiver. His talent is apparent but so is his off the field issues. Will the FO even consider this as the supplemental draft begins July 12th.

    I'd say they would not consider him. They seem to try and stay away from the off-the-field trouble guys. And for some strange reason seem ok with our current crop of WR's.

    @thaak said:

    I'd say they would not consider him. They seem to try and stay away from the off-the-field trouble guys. And for some strange reason seem ok with our current crop of WR's.

    They try to stay away from trouble guys who are currently in the NFL. They have taken chances on guys coming out in the draft.

  • I saw nothing at all that would warrant drafting him at any point in the real draft, much less the supplemental.

    All he did was turn and run.

  • So, you are saying that this guy will be available in a supplemental draft.....and under the rules there the team that selects him will have to give up their corresponding pick in the same round of next year's regular draft (e.g. the Raiders took Terrell Pryor in the 3rd round of last year's Supp draft, thus that is why they had no 3rd round pick this past draft).

    I don't know anything about this kid..even if he is worth a 7th rounder. I guess maybe he can go undrafted then sign with the Redskins to bring some familiarity to RGIII.

  • After doing a very minimal amount of research, I have changed my stance. I think he'd be worth a later round pick, based solely on his measurables.

    Problem is, ESPN supposedly has it on good authority that he won't slip past the third round.

    If we could grab him in the third or fourth round, I would pull the trigger. He's another project guy like Little, with only one full year of college football under his belt but has the size and speed combination to really make a difference if he can keep his head on straight.

    With Little at 1, MoMass at 2, and this kid subbing it at 3 and getting some experience, we could have an actual WR corps very soon.

  • " if he can keep his head on straight."

    thats a very big IF.....and certainly a risk in the 3rd. mitchell has all the measureables as well.....

  • When is this supplemental draft supposed to take place? We all knew about it last year because of Terrelle Pryor's availability.

  • " if he can keep his head on straight."

    thats a very big IF.....and certainly a risk in the 3rd. mitchell has all the measureables as well.....

    @choco said:

    " if he can keep his head on straight."

    thats a very big IF.....and certainly a risk in the 3rd. mitchell has all the measureables as well.....

    I mean, the guy just got arrested once for marijuana possession, then got held up by the transfer process when he went to Utah. It's not like he was out fingerpopping hooker's buttholes to get his hands on rock or shiping 6 pounds of weed cross country.

    I was as big a Mitchell fan as anyone, but he's had a couple years now and hasn't shown anything.

  • To which the point was, measureables dont make a football player. Mitchel is a probowler on paper as per measureables.....but he sucks.

    I realize the size/speed combo is rare....but a third for a project with background issues? Bad joke or bad idea.....either way, just bad.

    He needs a paycheck....its why he declared. Hes as raw as mitchel, whom we got for a 6th. I fail to see how any rational person justifies spending anymore than a fifth.

  • July 12th is the supplemental draft gipper...

  • I guy just held a workout, or is going to soon.

    If he checks out in the physical end and does what is claimed.....big guy running low 4.4's and he catches the ball, I offer a 2nd rounder for him.

    Next years choice, this year. That adds value.

    Yep, there is a egghead factor, but most receivers have that going for them. We just had half the board Gaga over Blackmon. What does he do?? Gets drafted then starts driving around drunk. With early 20's people, you can never tell when the light switch clicks on for them, or clicks off in a "moment".

    Legally speaking you might be adult at 18, but you really aren't grown up until you are around 30-32. By that point you have faced most of what life is going to throw at you as a challenge.

  • I'd be happy if we picked this guy up. But I also know we won't pick him up. So it's pointless to get your hopes up.

    I'd be 100% surprised if we took this guy.

  • To which the point was, measureables dont make a football player. Mitchel is a probowler on paper as per measureables.....but he sucks.

    I realize the size/speed combo is rare....but a third for a project with background issues? Bad joke or bad idea.....either way, just bad.

    He needs a paycheck....its why he declared. Hes as raw as mitchel, whom we got for a 6th. I fail to see how any rational person justifies spending anymore than a fifth.

    @choco said:

    To which the point was, measureables dont make a football player. Mitchel is a probowler on paper as per measureables.....but he sucks.

    I realize the size/speed combo is rare....but a third for a project with background issues? Bad joke or bad idea.....either way, just bad.

    He needs a paycheck....its why he declared. Hes as raw as mitchel, whom we got for a 6th. I fail to see how any rational person justifies spending anymore than a fifth.

    We're a team desperately lacking talent at the WR position, and he did enough in one year to impress pro scouts enough to attend his workouts and consider bidding on him.

    He's projected to go anywhere from second to fourth round, so let's just call it as a third rounder and take a look at some of our recent third round picks from the past 10 seasons.

    John Hughes, Colt McCoy, Shawn Luavao, Travis Wilson, Charlie Frye, Chris Crocker and Melvin Fowler.

    That's it. Not really hitting them out of the park so far, excluding Hughes because he's an unknown commodity.

    Jordan Norwood's father is on the coaching staff of Baylor and Phil Taylor played with Gordon. If they're saying we should give the kid a chance, then who are you to say no?

    I don't believe we'll grab him, but it's at least a discussion point in a rather slow news month.

  • I just don't see the reasoning behind glorifying a third round pick. The highest third round pick still has 64 players picked before him. An entire active roster of players, plus a little extra that were deemed to be better.

    It's not like a third round pick is an extremely valuable pick, especially with the way we've been picking lately.

  • then why is everyone trying to crucify heckert for hardesty? or complaining we gave up a few worthless picks for TR?

    the problem is exactly that you dont value those picks. "oh, a 3rd has 64 players picked before them" like that matters in the least. since you haven't been paying attention, we're playing rookies drafted all over the board.....a fucking 7th round safety is competing for a starting safety spot. with the way we've been picking lately? are you fucking Retarded or willingly stupid? we went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in 2 drafts.....

    dont give me the bullshit that a thrid isn't much of a commodity to waste on a damn project thats only played one year of competitive football only to smoke himself outta that job.

  • After doing a very minimal amount of research, I have changed my stance. I think he'd be worth a later round pick, based solely on his measurables.

    Problem is, ESPN supposedly has it on good authority that he won't slip past the third round.

    If we could grab him in the third or fourth round, I would pull the trigger. He's another project guy like Little, with only one full year of college football under his belt but has the size and speed combination to really make a difference if he can keep his head on straight.

    With Little at 1, MoMass at 2, and this kid subbing it at 3 and getting some experience, we could have an actual WR corps very soon.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    After doing a very minimal amount of research, I have changed my stance. I think he'd be worth a later round pick, based solely on his measurables.

    Problem is, ESPN supposedly has it on good authority that he won't slip past the third round.

    If we could grab him in the third or fourth round, I would pull the trigger. He's another project guy like Little, with only one full year of college football under his belt but has the size and speed combination to really make a difference if he can keep his head on straight.

    With Little at 1, MoMass at 2, and this kid subbing it at 3 and getting some experience, we could have an actual WR corps very soon.

    Why are you convinced that MoMass is going to be a starter again? Hell, I think he has to have a good training camp just to maintain a roster spot. The release of Brian Robiskie shows that H&H are not above cutting their losses if they think a guy cannot cut the mustard.

    Everyone said the Browns didn't go for a WR high enough in the regular draft. We have to trust Heckert enough if he takes this Gordon to believe that he has something real.

    I mean, not one of us has Heckert'ss resume such that we should second guess him if he thinks this guy is worth a 3-4th round pick. If they pick him, I think MoMass is definitely on the bubble for keeping a roster spot..

  • I just don't see the reasoning behind glorifying a third round pick. The highest third round pick still has 64 players picked before him. An entire active roster of players, plus a little extra that were deemed to be better.

    It's not like a third round pick is an extremely valuable pick, especially with the way we've been picking lately.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I just don't see the reasoning behind glorifying a third round pick. The highest third round pick still has 64 players picked before him. An entire active roster of players, plus a little extra that were deemed to be better.

    It's not like a third round pick is an extremely valuable pick, especially with the way we've been picking lately.

    Yes, I agree, the Browns third round picks have been horrendous. We should probably have 4-5 starters on this team that were 3rd round picks, instead we are lucky to have one. Thus, why not go for it if you think this guy is worth a chance. By "you" I mean Heckert who will make this decision.

  • then why is everyone trying to crucify heckert for hardesty? or complaining we gave up a few worthless picks for TR?

    the problem is exactly that you dont value those picks. "oh, a 3rd has 64 players picked before them" like that matters in the least. since you haven't been paying attention, we're playing rookies drafted all over the board.....a fucking 7th round safety is competing for a starting safety spot. with the way we've been picking lately? are you fucking Retarded or willingly stupid? we went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in 2 drafts.....

    dont give me the bullshit that a thrid isn't much of a commodity to waste on a damn project thats only played one year of competitive football only to smoke himself outta that job.

    @choco said:

    then why is everyone trying to crucify heckert for hardesty? or complaining we gave up a few worthless picks for TR?

    the problem is exactly that you dont value those picks. "oh, a 3rd has 64 players picked before them" like that matters in the least. since you haven't been paying attention, we're playing rookies drafted all over the board.....a fucking 7th round safety is competing for a starting safety spot. with the way we've been picking lately? are you fucking Retarded or willingly stupid? we went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in 2 drafts.....

    dont give me the bullshit that a thrid isn't much of a commodity to waste on a damn project thats only played one year of competitive football only to smoke himself outta that job.

    I can't answer for everyone, only myself. And I haven't been, because I didn't expect much from Hardesty to begin with. As for the TR trade, I didn't really want TR but I also didn't really want anyone else in the top 5 so I'm not complaining.

    It's not that I don't value them, it's that you are valuing them too much.

    I believe it's you who's not paying attention. We're playing rookies drafted all over the board not because of how amazing we've drafted but because of..as I said before...the severe lack of talent we have. Anyone can take a team, cut the oldest players, and then claim to go from the "oldest to youngest", like it means anything at all. What matters is if those youngsters actually do end up contributing, instead of just starting because there's no one else.

    I'm sure you weren't saying the same thing over Greg Little when we wasted a second round pick on a "damn project that's only played one year of competitive football". If you're going to blow your load over Heckert's drafting ability, you can't then chastise someone for suggesting we do something that Heckert has already done once before .

    Heckert has done some great things in the draft, but he's also no draft God. He's made some mistakes, namely not firing on a WR in this draft until it was too late and they were all gone. At first I convinced myself it was because they were happy with Little and MoMass, but now I believe they just missed the boat. This could be their chance at rectifying that mistake.

    @the-gipper said:

    Why are you convinced that MoMass is going to be a starter again? Hell, I think he has to have a good training camp just to maintain a roster spot. The release of Brian Robiskie shows that H&H are not above cutting their losses if they think a guy cannot cut the mustard.

    Everyone said the Browns didn't go for a WR high enough in the regular draft. We have to trust Heckert enough if he takes this Gordon to believe that he has something real.

    I mean, not one of us has Heckert'ss resume such that we should second guess him if he thinks this guy is worth a 3-4th round pick. If they pick him, I think MoMass is definitely on the bubble for keeping a roster spot..

    Because there's no one else on the roster who's actually better than him except for Little, which is scary.

    MoMass has at least recorded stats, Robo was just horrendous.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I agree, the Browns third round picks have been horrendous. We should probably have 4-5 starters on this team that were 3rd round picks, instead we are lucky to have one. Thus, why not go for it if you think this guy is worth a chance. By "you" I mean Heckert who will make this decision.

    THat's what I'm saying. Why is everyone coveting these third round picks that we have, when we've done jack squat with them. It's not like we're just throwing it away. How is drafting a project WR in the supplemental any different than drafting a project WR in the real draft?

  • I'd be happy if we picked this guy up. But I also know we won't pick him up. So it's pointless to get your hopes up.

    I'd be 100% surprised if we took this guy.

    @hunt-daddy said:

    I'd be happy if we picked this guy up. But I also know we won't pick him up. So it's pointless to get your hopes up.

    I'd be 100% surprised if we took this guy.

    Browns are sending 2 representatives to his pro day today.

    Josh Gordon reportedly drawing interest from Browns

    Apparently they've been doing their homework.

    Browns doing their homework