Skip to content

Better School For Qbs?

The Browns Board
8 3 692
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #1

    I mentioned in another thread the question of which Pac-10 schools produce the better QB. Here I will explore this a bit more. The Three schools in question were: USC, Stanford, and Cal:

    Cal QBs:

    Joe Kapp

    Craig Morton

    Steve Bartkowski

    Kyle Boller

    Aaron Rodgers

    Stanford QBs:

    Frankie Albert (1940s)

    John Brodie

    Jim Plunkett

    Steve Dils

    Turk Schonert

    John Elway HOF

    Trent Edwards

    Andrew Luck

    USC QBs:

    Bill Nelsen

    Pete Beatherd

    Pat Haden

    Vince Evans

    Paul McDonald

    Rodney Peete

    Todd Marinovich

    Rob Johnson

    Carson Palmer

    Matt Cassell

    Matt Leinert

    Mark Sanchez

    (I think it highly possible that the Browns own Bill Nelsen was the best QB to come out of USC).

    What are your thoughts?

    Edited: red means title winning QB

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Perhaps I focused on the wrong Pac-10/12 schools. Here are the QBs produced by some other schools in that conference:

    UCLA

    Bob Waterfield HOF

    Billy Kilmer

    Jay Schroeder

    Steve Bono

    Troy Aikman HOF

    Tommy Maddox

    Washington St.:

    Jack Thompson

    Mark Rypien

    Drew Bledsoe

    Ryan Leaf

    Washington:

    Steve Pelluer

    Hugh Millen

    Chris Chandler

    Mark Brunell

    Billy Joe Hobert

    Brock Huard

    Jake Locker

    Oregon:

    Norm Van Brocklin HOF

    George Shaw

    Bob Berry

    Dan Fouts HOF

    Chris Miller

    Akili Smith

    Joey Harrington

    Kellen Clemons

    Dennis Dixon

    Oregon St.:

    Derek Anderson (Only Ore. St. QB to start more than one NFL game)

    Arizona:

    Fred Esk 1940s

    Arizona St.:

    Danny White

    Red means title winning QB

    Mark Malone

    Mike Pagel

    Jack Plummer

    (Brock Osweiler?)

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Why is this a topic?

    Ohh well... Stanford wins by default b/c of Elway

  • Why is this a topic?

    Ohh well... Stanford wins by default b/c of Elway

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @thenew23 said:

    Why is this a topic?

    Because I wanted it to be one.

    Ohh well... Stanford wins by default b/c of Elway

    Of the three, right now Stanford wins...because of Elway/Plunkett/Brodie. Though, in the future, is it possible that some may think that Rodgers is as good or better than Elway?

    And when you take the other Pac-10 schools, I am not sure Stanford beats out UCLA. UCLA has more Hall of Famers. Aikman and Waterfield. Aikman QBd more SB winners than Elway. Waterfield QBd a couple of NFL title teams (including the Cleveland Rams...and LA when they moved there)

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Lets extrapolate and do this with the Big Ten, HOFers noted, champions highlighted:

    Illinois:

    Tommy O'Connell

    Tony Eason

    Jack Trudeau

    Jeff George

    Indiana:

    Babe Laufenberg

    Trent Green

    Iowa:

    Chuck Long (21 NFL starts, most by any Iowa QB)

    Mark Vlasic (4 starts)

    Michigan:

    Jim Harbaugh

    Elvis Grbac

    Todd Collins

    Brian Griese

    Tom Brady

    Chad Henne

    Michigan St.:

    Al Dorow

    Earl Morrall

    Jim Ninowski

    Jim Miller

    Tony Banks

    Minnesota:

    Bill Garnass 3 games started in 1940s, most by any Minnesota QB

    Nebraska:

    Sam Vacante

    Jerry Tagge

    Vince Ferragamo

    Northwestern:

    Otto Graham HOF

    Ohio State:

    Art Schlichter

    Tom Tupa

    Kent Graham

    Mike Tomczak

    Bobby Hoying

    Troy Smith

    Penn St.:

    Milt Plum

    Pete Liske

    Todd Blackledge

    Kerry Collins

    Purdue:

    Len Dawson HOF

    Bob Griese HOF

    Mike Phipps

    Mark Hermann

    Jim Everitt

    Drew Brees

    Kyle Orton

    Wisconsin:

    Randy Wright 32 starts most by Wisc. QB

    Brooks Bollinger

    Ron Vanderkellen

    Needless to say the undisputed best producer of QBs from the Big Ten has been Purdue, followed probably by Michigan.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Gip your right on about Bill Nelson...I got to watch him when I was very young...Superb QB...Too bad his knees were shot when we got him...but his arm and accuracy was insane...He made fair hooker and chip glass look good LOL.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Right on...

    Purdue?? Kind of a surprise. I could argue for Michigan because of Brady but I hate them so fu** it...

    Why doesn't Ohio State ever put out good QBs?

  • Right on...

    Purdue?? Kind of a surprise. I could argue for Michigan because of Brady but I hate them so fu** it...

    Why doesn't Ohio State ever put out good QBs?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @thenew23 said:

    Right on...

    Purdue?? Kind of a surprise. I could argue for Michigan because of Brady but I hate them so fu** it...

    Why doesn't Ohio State ever put out good QBs?

    Brady would constitute Michigan's first HOF QB, Drew Brees who also feels like a HOFer would be Purdue's third. Behind Brady, the best Michigan had was Jim Harbaugh, and he is no HOF candidate.

    Plus, people don't know it but Jim Everitt is in like the Top 10 or 15 ever in career yards passing.