Skip to content

Nfl Refs

The Browns Board
18 15 1.4k
  • I believe that there are a few corrupt officials in the NFL. Some of their decisions and calls/non calls have been worse

    than extremely, outrageously stupid and backwards.

    I also believe that Officials don't go through all the training camps and contact during the season,

    therefore, the author is actually talking "apples and oranges".

    The other officials? Be glad you get 2.5 million a game, for cryin out loud. I would gladly

    be a replacement for 1/3 that much.

  • $2.5 mil a game?

    They make $5000 a game. I don't think 6k is out of the question for people who stand at the top of their profession.

    Those crews work 14 games a year, the get a couple of weekends off. That works out to about $80,000 for a seasoned vet. A nice sum no doubt, but hardly a crazy amount.

    People can complain about this or that, but on the whole I think NFL refs do a very good job.

  • they may do a good job but it's the good ole boy network at its finest.

  • Honestly if you look at the deal the NFL offered them before they locked out the refs, the refs were going to get screwed. They were offered like a 1 or 2% raise for their contracts but in the last deal they got something like 8%. They were also going to pull from their pensions and health insurance if I'm not mistaken. I understand why they don't make as much as officials from other sports, compared to those a job as an NFL reg is rather cushy, but the NFL is also the highest grossing sport in America, maybe this decades deal for the refs should reflect that. I guess I just can't understand how the deal given to the refs doesn't at least reflect wage increases like they did in their last deal when the NFL is making as much money as they are.

  • Refs are meant to be seen and not heard. I think I have heard all that needs to be heard about them. STFU.

  • Evolving Thread to include thoughts on the new officials.

    I think they are doing a fine job thus far in the preseason. I've seen a lot of the refs letting the guys get away with a little more in the secondary. Dawg Pound Defense! TJ Ward is gonna start laying the wood again!... I can feel it. Haden, Skrine and now Wade, they all look feisty out there! Let's get them Dogs OUT! This is the year Brownies.

  • Seriously, who will be locked out next year? As for the replacement refs, they are doing an ok job. They are doing the best they can and are learning just like the other NFL officials learned when they came in. By week 8, these refs will have had 8 weeks of games under their belts and will be fine.

  • I disagree..the little of preseason that I've watched the replacement refs have been terrible at best. The NFL is a billion dollar business and should pay these guys to get them back. It's not a ridiculous amount that they're looking for.

  • As if the money making machine that is the NFL can't divvy up $400 extra dollars a game to these officials. While I do agree that there has been some spotty calls in previous years, they just need to tighten up the accountability and issue stronger punishments. But to balk at the increase, considering how much the players are making is similar to how little our education system pays the people that are supposed to shape the future of our youths. Utterly pathetic. Get it done Goodell...

  • The salary increase across all the refs in the NFL is a drop in the ocean compared to the revenue generated, if this is a truly a straight case of the NFL not coughing up that increase then it is crazy. Perhaps there is more behind this. I just can't believe that they wouldnt cough up to make a 6K per game deal - it's peanuts.

  • I disagree..the little of preseason that I've watched the replacement refs have been terrible at best. The NFL is a billion dollar business and should pay these guys to get them back. It's not a ridiculous amount that they're looking for.

    @mark-o said:

    I disagree..the little of preseason that I've watched the replacement refs have been terrible at best. The NFL is a billion dollar business and should pay these guys to get them back. It's not a ridiculous amount that they're looking for.

    Agreed 100%. It is sad that a business that is so profitable as the NFL is baulking at paying these men. I might be able to understand that the NFL needs to let them know who is in charge and not meet every single demand every time, but still, what is the problem here.

  • Evolving Thread to include thoughts on the new officials.

    I think they are doing a fine job thus far in the preseason. I've seen a lot of the refs letting the guys get away with a little more in the secondary. Dawg Pound Defense! TJ Ward is gonna start laying the wood again!... I can feel it. Haden, Skrine and now Wade, they all look feisty out there! Let's get them Dogs OUT! This is the year Brownies.

    @poeticg said:

    Evolving Thread to include thoughts on the new officials.

    I think they are doing a fine job thus far in the preseason. I've seen a lot of the refs letting the guys get away with a little more in the secondary. Dawg Pound Defense! TJ Ward is gonna start laying the wood again!... I can feel it. Haden, Skrine and now Wade, they all look feisty out there! Let's get them Dogs OUT! This is the year Brownies.

    you GOT to be kidding right? I saw some bad calls last night Min vs SD... a motion call against SD QB in the shotgun waiting for the snap, no flagrant movement seen! hope this aint whats ahead with this group. It will be brutal.

    hope they bring back the real refs.

  • "Q: Is there any possibility of the players en masse withholding their services because of safety concerns with replacement officials?

    A: In America it is the employer's obligation to provide as safe a working environment as possible. We believe that if the National Football League fails in that obligation we reserve the right to seek any relief that we believe is appropriate. The NFL has chosen to prevent the very officials that they have trained, championed and cultivated for decades to be on the field to protect players and -- by their own admission -- further our goal of enhanced safety. That is absurd on its face."

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/28/smith/index.html#ixzz24rzdvpYm

    I doubt they would actually delay the start of the season, but will we really have to suffer through a couple games with replacement refs?

  • "Q: Is there any possibility of the players en masse withholding their services because of safety concerns with replacement officials?

    A: In America it is the employer's obligation to provide as safe a working environment as possible. We believe that if the National Football League fails in that obligation we reserve the right to seek any relief that we believe is appropriate. The NFL has chosen to prevent the very officials that they have trained, championed and cultivated for decades to be on the field to protect players and -- by their own admission -- further our goal of enhanced safety. That is absurd on its face."

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/28/smith/index.html#ixzz24rzdvpYm

    I doubt they would actually delay the start of the season, but will we really have to suffer through a couple games with replacement refs?

    @sadbrownsfan said:

    "Q: Is there any possibility of the players en masse withholding their services because of safety concerns with replacement officials?

    A: In America it is the employer's obligation to provide as safe a working environment as possible. We believe that if the National Football League fails in that obligation we reserve the right to seek any relief that we believe is appropriate. The NFL has chosen to prevent the very officials that they have trained, championed and cultivated for decades to be on the field to protect players and -- by their own admission -- further our goal of enhanced safety. That is absurd on its face."

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/28/smith/index.html#ixzz24rzdvpYm

    I doubt they would actually delay the start of the season, but will we really have to suffer through a couple games with replacement refs?

    Did the NFL lock them out, or did they go on strike?

  • People like Jimmy Haslam are willing to pay over 1 billion dollars for an NFL franchise, and the players have made pretty good gains on the salaries Baseball, and Basketball players get, but the league will not pay the guys that control the games, and safety of those players $6000 a game. I just don't get that.........The quality of the replacement refs has been disapointing to say the least, but the league will accept that for literally a few hundred dollars a game.

  • The way it was worked out on SVP today was something like 1,000 dollars more per team per week.

    That's absolute chump change. Sack up, NFL.