Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. I'm So Old

I'm So Old

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
2 Posts 2 Posters 350 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
    • 28k Posts
    • 6k Reputation
    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #1

    When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a nursing home in an Australian country town, it was believed that he had nothing left of any value.

    Later, when the nurses were going through his meagre possessions, They found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital.

    One nurse took her copy to Melbourne. The old man's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas editions of magazines around the country and appearing in mags for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem.

    And this old man, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this 'anonymous' poem winging across the Internet.

    Cranky Old Man

    What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?

    What are you thinking .. . when you're looking at me?

    A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,

    Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?

    Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply.

    When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!'

    Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.

    And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?

    Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will,

    With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?

    Is that what you're thinking?. .Is that what you see?

    Then open your eyes, nurse .you're not looking at me.

    I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,

    As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.

    I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,

    Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another

    A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet

    Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he'll meet.

    A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.

    Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.

    At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.

    Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.

    A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,

    Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.

    At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,

    But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn.

    At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee,

    Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.

    Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.

    I look at the future ... . . . . I shudder with dread.

    For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.

    And I think of the years . . . And the love that I've known.

    I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.

    It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.

    The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.

    There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.

    But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,

    And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells

    I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.

    And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.

    I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.

    And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.

    So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.

    Not a cranky old man .

    Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!!

    Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too!

    PLEASE SHARE THIS POEM (originally by Phyllis McCormack; adapted by Dave Griffith)

    The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart!

    Very Respectfully,

    Scott Sonnon

    www.breathinggift.com (My free book and video gift to you.) 556004_10151034467962988_1223871957_n.jpg

    "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • FairHooker11 F Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 4k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      thanks Diehard! every soul has Worth! wherever you might be....

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply

      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

      Register Login
      Reply
      • Reply as topic
      Log in to reply
      • Oldest to Newest
      • Newest to Oldest
      • Most Votes


      Theme
      • System
      • Light
      • Dark
      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

      • First post
        Last post
      0
      • Forums
      • Recent
      • Popular
      • Users
      • Donate