New Ownership.
-
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/29/report-lerner-to-retain-30-percent-stake-in-browns/
Report: Lerner to retain 30 percent stake in Browns
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 29, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Randy Lerner, Pat Shurmur AP
Browns fans hoping to be rid of owner Randy Lerner are getting their wish, to an extent.
According to a report from WKYC sportscaster and the team play-by-play voice Jim Donovan (via the Cleveland Plain Dealer), Lerner will retain a 30 percent share of the team.
Lernerβs selling controlling interest in the Browns to truck stop magnate (and really, that might be the best business card title ever) Jimmy Haslam.
Donovan also reported Haslam will have the option to increase that share later, but that leaves the unpopular Lerner as a small part of the franchise.
Minority ownership is irrelevent, as Haslam found out. That is why he wanted a majority ownership. As noted in another thread, Bob Gries owned 43% of the Browns where Modell owned only 52%....and Gries literally had no say in the Browns operations. Randy will have no say either.
Minority ownership is irrelevent, as Haslam found out. That is why he wanted a majority ownership. As noted in another thread, Bob Gries owned 43% of the Browns where Modell owned only 52%....and Gries literally had no say in the Browns operations. Randy will have no say either.
I wouldn't say it irrelevant. Owning 30% of a billion dollar company makes one pretty relevant. He's going to have a voice in the board room if he chooses to voice it. However, I agree that in the end his voice is one of influence only. It's won't dictate the course.
-
Minority ownership is irrelevent, as Haslam found out. That is why he wanted a majority ownership. As noted in another thread, Bob Gries owned 43% of the Browns where Modell owned only 52%....and Gries literally had no say in the Browns operations. Randy will have no say either.
I wouldn't say it irrelevant. Owning 30% of a billion dollar company makes one pretty relevant. He's going to have a voice in the board room if he chooses to voice it. However, I agree that in the end his voice is one of influence only. It's won't dictate the course.
I wouldn't say it irrelevant. Owning 30% of a billion dollar company makes one pretty relevant. He's going to have a voice in the board room if he chooses to voice it. However, I agree that in the end his voice is one of influence only. It's won't dictate the course.
I don't know. Modell and Gries underwent decades of litigation against one another over the issue of say over the operations of the Browns (primarily over the team being used as collateral for Stadium Inc.). For years things were contemtuous between them, and always it was Modell who got the right to do what he wanted with the Browns despite Gries's objections.
-
I wouldn't say it irrelevant. Owning 30% of a billion dollar company makes one pretty relevant. He's going to have a voice in the board room if he chooses to voice it. However, I agree that in the end his voice is one of influence only. It's won't dictate the course.
I don't know. Modell and Gries underwent decades of litigation against one another over the issue of say over the operations of the Browns (primarily over the team being used as collateral for Stadium Inc.). For years things were contemtuous between them, and always it was Modell who got the right to do what he wanted with the Browns despite Gries's objections.
I don't know. Modell and Gries underwent decades of litigation against one another over the issue of say over the operations of the Browns (primarily over the team being used as collateral for Stadium Inc.). For years things were contemtuous between them, and always it was Modell who got the right to do what he wanted with the Browns despite Gries's objections.
So we agree.

I like his brother Bill....sharp guy. He gets my vote. I assume his brother (Jimmy) is as well.
-
I wonder if they will get rid of the "AL" on the sleeves of the jerseys. I would like to see it be replaced with Brownie the Elf.
-

All season ticket holders get comp passes to the Hustler Club after every Brown's victory.
-
@king-ghoolie-lives said:
Heckert is safe? Are you nuts?
NObody buys a losing franchise and keeps the FO. C'mona man, get with it.
You were praising Heckert a few weeks ago.
-
-
This thread is called "new ownership", but with that I was checking into "old ownership". Here is a blurb that I found in Wikipedia about the Browns original owner:
During the summer before the 1953 season, McBride sold the Browns for $600,000 ($5,211,940 in today's dollars), more than twice the largest sum ever paid for a professional football team.[34] The old stockholders were McBride and his son Edward, along with minority owners including taxi business associate Dan Sherby, Brown and four others. The buyers were a group of prominent Cleveland men: Dave R. Jones, a businessman and former Cleveland Indians director, Ellis Ryan, a former Cleveland Indians president, Homer Marshman, an attorney who had founded the Cleveland Rams, Saul Silberman, owner of the horse race track later known as Thistledown Racecourse, and Ralph DeChairo, an associate of Silberman.[35][36
I guess we never hear much about this David Jones and his bunch that owned the Browns for a while. Jones owned the team from 1953-1961 when he sold it to Modell
-
Forbes Article on best/worst owners of the NFL. This might be a couple of years old as they still have Al Davis alive:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2011/11/02/the-best-and-worst-nfl-owners/
-
Grinder said:
Just make the change of ownership before the season starts so we will have something to cheer for. And bring in those cheerleaders even if we have to find some dancers at the Hustler club. They will make good entertainment for the young men and keep them from turning into gay soccer fans.
How about if they just win, baby.
-
I prefer grinders suggestion. sorry Gipper.

It ain't like you can't go to the Flats or Brookpark Rd. and not see pootytang any time you like, but you can't see the Browns win football games any time you like. So let's go with the winning.
I will resurrect the Cheerleaders thread for your edification.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login