Skip to content

Josh Cribbs 2012 And Beyond

The Browns Board
2 2 497
  • A good read I thought I would share. I love Cribbs attitude about rededicating himself to special teams, and accepting his reduced role. I didn't care much for Shurmers assessment of Cribbs as he is only 29! I got the feeling that unless Josh lights it up this year he won't be back next year.

    Read the Story

    Cleveland Browns' Joshua Cribbs ready to roll again as full-time specialist

    Aug. 2, 2012 | Comments

    AA Cleveland's Josh Cribbs tries to catch a ball during organized team activities May 22 at the Browns training facility in Berea. / Eric P. Mull/US PRESSWIREWritten by

    Associated Press

    BEREA -- For the first time in five years, there is no ambiguity with Joshua Cribbs' role on the Cleveland Browns. Nor is there any talk about him playing quarterback, running back or full-time receiver, for that matter. Cribbs is returning to his former spot as Cleveland's special teams specialist, playing on all of its return and coverage units.

    He needs to be good.

    "I'm going to rededicate myself to scoring touchdowns on kickoffs and punt returns," Cribbs said Wednesday, "because that's what our coaches want me to do. My role is changing again. They want more production out of special teams, so I'll give it to them the best I can."

    Cribbs, 29, already owns the NFL record with eight career kickoff return touchdowns -- one more than Seattle's Leon Washington -- and averaged 25 yards per runback in 2011. The two-time Pro Bowl selection also ranks fifth in league history with 11 total return touchdowns, most recently taking back a punt 84 yards at Baltimore on Dec. 24.

    With that kind of ability on a team that annually needs a jolt offensively, Cribbs was installed into the offense by three Browns coaches: Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini and Pat Shurmur in 2011. They gradually removed the 6-foot-1, 215-pounder from their coverage units, and gave him a chance with the offense.

    The results? Not bad. During the past four seasons, Cribbs had 111 rushes for 639 yards, made 86 receptions, threw 11 passes, scored nine touchdowns and started 26 games at receiver. The former Kent State quarterback's production peaked in 2011, in fact, when he tied for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns and made a career-high 41 catches.

    But it's time go back to the future, perhaps. Less than two weeks into camp, Shurmur already has shot down any chance Cribbs will better those numbers this fall.

    "Josh is a special teams player that plays receiver," Shurmur said. "He's a special teams player."

    Cribbs has long expressed a desire to be an every-down player, but he read the handwriting on the wall during the offseason. Browns general manager Tom Heckert and Shurmur repeatedly spoke of Greg Little as a potential No. 1 receiver, then drafted Baylor's Josh Gordon in the second round of the supplemental draft.

    Also, veteran Mohamed Massaquoi and rookie Travis Benjamin have received more snaps in camp, leaving Cribbs to take leftover reps while practicing the return game.

    "I'll have less of a role on offense maybe," Cribbs said. "But I've just got to do my part on special teams and nobody will know the difference."

    It's not a bad school of thought. Cribbs, keep in mind, has 12,343 all-purpose yards in seven years with Cleveland.

    "I came into this league scoring on returns and getting yards for the offense," he said. "If that's how I have to do it again, then so be it."

    Making his reduced role interesting is Cribbs' contract, which expires at the end of the season and pays him a base salary of $1.4 million. Shurmur referred to him as "a player on the back nine of (his) career" earlier in the week, further driving home just how tenuous life in the NFL is for a veteran.

    The paycheck is a surprise in some circles, especially when you consider Cribbs is one of the most popular athletes in Cleveland.

    But that status doesn't hold much currency at the negotiating table.

    "It does put more pressure on me this year, but I love it," said Cribbs, who lives in northeast Ohio year-round and is a courtside fixture at Cleveland Cavaliers games. "This is my destiny, just like the last time I had to play for a contract and when I had to make the team as (an undrafted) rookie.

    "Last year, I showed everyone what I could do at wide receiver. Before that, I did what I could to establish myself as a premier return man. I'll do it again this time.

    "Get ready for Act 3."

  • This guy breathes class. Was he a great reciever, no. Was the WildDawg successful, it wasn't only because we used it all wrong, so no fault to Cribbs. What he brings that superstar players could learn, is the ability to go out and do his job no matter what it is and keep his focus on the positives not the negatives. I hope we can keep him and he retires a Brown. One thing is for sure, he is ELECTRIC on special teams, so it says volumes that they feel him best utilized in that manner. Gives me hope that this team may finally be on the right course. Now lets hope the new owner is intelligent enough to be able to strengthen this team not tear it down for another pointless rebuild.