Skip to content

Curiosity

Political Discussion
48 12 1.5k
  • So Curiosity landed on Mars, and its role is to assess whether or not the environment was viable for microbial life. If it turns out it was, there is a chance it still is. And in that case, we are gathering data for the first manned expedition to the Red Planet. How do you feel about these expenditures?

    @vaportrail said:

    So Curiosity landed on Mars, and its role is to assess whether or not the environment was viable for microbial life. If it turns out it was, there is a chance it still is. And in that case, we are gathering data for the first manned expedition to the Red Planet. How do you feel about these expenditures?

    I thought you were finally coming out of the closet with Bunker.😍

  • Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

    😮

    WSS

  • Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

    😮

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

    😮

    WSS

    Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

  • @westside-steve said:

    Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

    😮

    WSS

    Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

    @mr.-sensitive said:

    Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

    No idea.

    I thought magnets had to repulse against something.....

    WSS

  • @westside-steve said:

    Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

    😮

    WSS

    Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

    @mr.-sensitive said:

    Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

    Gravity would like to have a word with you. And Woody's right about the magnets, see the following diagram.

    1285770302993.jpg

  • Yeah, lol. I'm not getting how magnets would work...

  • Yeah, lol. I'm not getting how magnets would work...

    @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, lol. I'm not getting how magnets would work...

    Outside of planetary orbit there's no gravity in space, fellas, that's pretty basic. You'd still have to get out of the atmosphere as you normally would. What's your better idea?

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, lol. I'm not getting how magnets would work...

    Outside of planetary orbit there's no gravity in space, fellas, that's pretty basic. You'd still have to get out of the atmosphere as you normally would. What's your better idea?

    @mr.-sensitive said:

    Outside of planetary orbit there's no gravity in space, fellas, that's pretty basic.

    You're an engineer?

  • You are going to have to explain exactly how you plan on launching and directing the spacecraft with rockets.

    And there is gravity in space. You are always under the influence of gravity no matter where you are. How strong though depends on distance and mass.

  • @mr.-sensitive said:

    Outside of planetary orbit there's no gravity in space, fellas, that's pretty basic.

    You're an engineer?

    @vaportrail said:

    You're an engineer?

    Lol

    is that someone's second account?

  • It's Cysko, I think.

    0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

  • It's Cysko, I think.

    0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

    @vaportrail said:

    0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

    Lol

    Let's turn this into a physics board. Then I'll be right even more often than I am now

  • You'd be surprised though, at how many intelligent people have misconceptions of gravity. Ask people what would happen to a pencil if you're standing on the moon and you drop it.

  • You'd be surprised though, at how many intelligent people have misconceptions of gravity. Ask people what would happen to a pencil if you're standing on the moon and you drop it.

    @vaportrail said:

    You'd be surprised though, at how many intelligent people have misconceptions of gravity. Ask people what would happen to a pencil if you're standing on the moon and you drop it.

    Trick question? A pencil can't be dropped on the moons surface.

  • @vaportrail said:

    You'd be surprised though, at how many intelligent people have misconceptions of gravity. Ask people what would happen to a pencil if you're standing on the moon and you drop it.

    Trick question? A pencil can't be dropped on the moons surface.

    @ru4scuba said:

    Trick question? A pencil can't be dropped on the moons surface.

    Huh? The moon has gravity....

    WSS

  • @vaportrail said:

    You'd be surprised though, at how many intelligent people have misconceptions of gravity. Ask people what would happen to a pencil if you're standing on the moon and you drop it.

    Trick question? A pencil can't be dropped on the moons surface.

    @ru4scuba said:

    Trick question? A pencil can't be dropped on the moons surface.

    Well, we're supposing you're in a spacesuit, so you can be on the moon's surface without dying.

    Huh? The moon has gravity....

    And that's correct. But you'd be shocked by how many people will say, "It'll float away." I've done this to a bunch of engineers and med students, and there's a large number of them that don't get it right. For some reason, no atmosphere and no friction somehow leads to the incorrect assumption of no gravity.

  • I already said I'm not an astrophtsicist. Deep space gravity is not my specialty. However conventional means at this point would be quite a haul for humans. Wed have to devise another way. However if repulsed by magnets, you could aim at any concievable point to account for whatever gravity may exist in the vacuum of space. If you have a better idea I'd like to hear it.

    I think you're under the assumption I mean launching from earth or the moon when I'm envisioning something closer to a space station.

  • It's Cysko, I think.

    0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

    @vaportrail said:

    It's Cysko, I think.

    0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

    I guess if you guys are posting again it means my account us unlocked, but I kind of like this name better. Fwiw I'm an electrical engineer. However I'm just simply thinking of means to make the insanely long trip to mars more hospitible to human life

  • What does this stupid ass thread have to do with politics ???

    It should be moved to the barbershop. Oh, wait, if I had posted it,

    Zomblow the hypocrite would have moved it.

  • You don't need to be an asyrophysisist to know there is gravity in space lol

    Even if you shot a craft off of a space station with magnets you would need a long ass rail to get up the the speed needed to escape the orbit of whatever the station is orbiting around and to just get there in a timely manner. Then once you are on your way you have no means of control or steering. You also have no way to get back.