Skip to content

Paul Ryan

Political Discussion
17 6 694
  • Mitt Romney's budget hawk running mate Paul Ryan made his name in Congress by releasing a bold, government-slashing budget proposal that he calls 'The Path to Prosperity." It was first proposed for fiscal year 2012. Democrats have criticized Ryan's budget as a "Darwinian" re-making of the federal government, which would reward the rich and corporations with lower tax rates while cutting safety-net programs like Medicaid by hundreds of billions of dollars. But Ryan and his defenders say he is one of the few people in Washington willing to state the obvious, yet politically risky fact that the nation's entitlement programs aren't sustainable.

    President Barack Obama's campaign released a statement Saturday saying Ryan's plan "would end Medicare as we know it by turning it into a voucher system, shifting thousands of dollars in health-care costs to seniors." The attack shows Democrats will use Ryan's budget proposals as a weapon against Romney. But will it work on voters?

    Below, we've laid out the five key points from Ryan's "Pathway to Prosperity" budget so that you can judge for yourself.

    1. Ryan's budget plan cuts $5.8 trillion over 10 years from projected federal spending and reduces the deficit by $4.4 trillion over the same period. Discretionary spending, which includes programs like food stamps, would see more than $900 billion in reductions. The budget also calls for the repeal of President Obama's health care reform law, which supporters say would save billions in federal subsidies that will be given to lower-income people to buy insurance.

    2. The most contentious part of Ryan's proposed budget are the changes to Medicare, the nation's insurance plan for retirees and a political third rail. Ryan's plan would eventually transform Medicare into defined payments that seniors can use to buy private insurance or a government plan on an insurance exchange. There would be no limits to the out-of-pocket costs seniors could pay in this program, but Ryan assumes that the increased competition between Medicare and private plans would bring down overall costs. The amount of money seniors get to buy insurance would grow at a slightly higher rate than GDP each year. (The Congressional Budget Office says this would save the government money, but also significantly increase the amount seniors will eventually have to pay for their own insurance.) The eligibility age would gradually rise to 67, from 65. Democrats say this transforms Medicare into a "voucher program" that may leave seniors with big prescription bills and other medical costs, and the Obama campaign is already using this against Romney and Ryan. If Obama can convince seniors--a powerful voting bloc that turns out at the polls--that Ryan would worsen or weaken Medicare, it could mean bad news for their campaign.

    3. Ryan would cut the top federal income tax rate for individuals and corporations to 25 percent from 35 percent. The budget says some tax breaks and loopholes would be eliminated to help offset the revenue loss.

    4. Ryan would slash Medicaid, the insurance program for some low-income people, by $735 billion over ten years, and hand the program back to the states to administer with more freedom. The CBO writes that states would most likely have to "reduce payments to providers, curtail eligibility for Medicaid, provide less extensive coverage to beneficiaries, or pay more themselves than would be the case under current law."

    5. The budget spares Social Security and defense spending, which are left at current levels. Ryan's decision to back off Social Security is interesting, since he put forward proposals to privatize the program around the same time that President George W. Bush tried to sell the nation on a similar proposal. (Social Security does not face the same solvency challenges as Medicare and Medicaid, and is not projected to grow much as a percentage of GDP over the next 20 years.)

    Thoughts?

    #3, What Loopholes and Tax Breaks. It's one of those, we will get to it later.

    #4, I agree with this. If you look at the federal debt vs state debt, percentage wise the fed is losing money at an astounding rate vs state. There are states actually puling a profit and most never took stimulus money.

    #5, I actually liked Bush's Social Security idea. Privatize it to a degree, I would still need to see the specifics on this.

    My point, Legalize Pot. I guarantee the old stanchie 65-70 year olds who have a choice between getting their Medicare cut or legalizing weed, what do you think they will pick. It could save us $13.7 billion a year.

  • You understand of course that the ryan plan will be analyzed by both sides for 2 different reasons.

    1 thing is for sure, of course, that medicare is going broke.

    Both plans obama's or ryans will cut or slow growth in funding.

    it's something that has to be done or we'lll all be SOL.

    Not to mention that the medicare change will be voluntary.

    And won't effect most of us in the near future.

    Also both parties have champion some type of social security privatization.

    We should have done that years ago.

    Sadly in american politics 1 side is forced to hate everything the other side proposes.

    More sad is the mindset of the public.

    It's too easy to take up an offer to skip a few payments but it's not so much fun when the bill comes to you.

    I think, actually fear, that the voters will choose to procrastinate until it is too late.

    If seniors are to worry about anything I'd say that's the most important.

    WSS

  • Also when it comes to disclosure of specifics, nobody will do that.

    First of all it will be relative to the situation with congress and the economy when the time comes.

    Second any specific proposal will be spun by the opposition, no matter what it is.

    That's why obama and company won't put together a budget.

    WSS

  • BTW, Obamao and the senate haven't offered up a budget in over three years.

    The Republicans have in the House.

    Need Rep in control of the Senate,

    and the #1 public enemy in our WH, out in Nov.

    well, make that Jan. You know what I mean...😵

  • Many providers are not honoring medicare/caid anymore because the reimbursements are abysmally low, take too long to receive, and are a pain to deal with. Many providers (at least in my field) will just do the work for free for the aforementioned patients or volunteer in free clinics to provide the care. THAT'S HOW BIG OF A HEADACHE MEDICARE IS.

    Walmart fills any generic script for $4. Out the door. Pack of smokes or your hypertension meds? (psssst.. guess what's contributing to your hypertension?)

    Transferring federal funding from Medicare to a voucher program for private insurance would be what is best for the people who need the care. Providers will treat more patients because they accept the insurance, get reimbursed in a timely manner, and dont have to deal with the headache that is Medicare.

    Obviously, this wont be about what's best for the people (it never is) and it will get made out to be "Romney/Ryan are stealing your healthcare" "Obama/____* are trying to save your healthcare!" Sorry medically underserved people in America: You don't matter!

    *He can't seriously want to run with Biden again, can he?

  • Good post Legacy.

    Nice to see you.

    WSS

  • Many providers are not honoring medicare/caid anymore because the reimbursements are abysmally low, take too long to receive, and are a pain to deal with. Many providers (at least in my field) will just do the work for free for the aforementioned patients or volunteer in free clinics to provide the care. THAT'S HOW BIG OF A HEADACHE MEDICARE IS.

    Walmart fills any generic script for $4. Out the door. Pack of smokes or your hypertension meds? (psssst.. guess what's contributing to your hypertension?)

    Transferring federal funding from Medicare to a voucher program for private insurance would be what is best for the people who need the care. Providers will treat more patients because they accept the insurance, get reimbursed in a timely manner, and dont have to deal with the headache that is Medicare.

    Obviously, this wont be about what's best for the people (it never is) and it will get made out to be "Romney/Ryan are stealing your healthcare" "Obama/____* are trying to save your healthcare!" Sorry medically underserved people in America: You don't matter!

    *He can't seriously want to run with Biden again, can he?

    @legacy-fan said:

    Many providers are not honoring medicare/caid anymore because the reimbursements are abysmally low, take too long to receive, and are a pain to deal with. Many providers (at least in my field) will just do the work for free for the aforementioned patients or volunteer in free clinics to provide the care. THAT'S HOW BIG OF A HEADACHE MEDICARE IS.

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

  • BTW, Obamao and the senate haven't offered up a budget in over three years.

    The Republicans have in the House.

    Need Rep in control of the Senate,

    and the #1 public enemy in our WH, out in Nov.

    well, make that Jan. You know what I mean...😵

    @calfoxwc said:

    BTW, Obamao and the senate haven't offered up a budget in over three years.

    The Republicans have in the House.

    Need Rep in control of the Senate,

    and the #1 public enemy in our WH, out in Nov.

    well, make that Jan. You know what I mean...😵

    What does this have to do with the topic, grow up. We know he sucks, we get it. Agreed. I didn't vote for him, and will not again. We know this shit already.

  • @legacy-fan said:

    Many providers are not honoring medicare/caid anymore because the reimbursements are abysmally low, take too long to receive, and are a pain to deal with. Many providers (at least in my field) will just do the work for free for the aforementioned patients or volunteer in free clinics to provide the care. THAT'S HOW BIG OF A HEADACHE MEDICARE IS.

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

    @vaportrail said:

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

    It hurts when I pee.

  • BTW, Obamao and the senate haven't offered up a budget in over three years.

    The Republicans have in the House.

    Need Rep in control of the Senate,

    and the #1 public enemy in our WH, out in Nov.

    well, make that Jan. You know what I mean...😵

    What does this have to do with the topic, grow up. We know he sucks, we get it. Agreed. I didn't vote for him, and will not again. We know this shit already.

    *****************************************************

    Welll, I'll tell you. Paul Ryan HAS SUBMITTED A BUDGET. THE SENATE WON'T EVEN VOTE ON HIS, OR ANY OTHER BUDGET.

    PAUL RYAN KNOWS WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS TROUBLE WITH OUR DEBT AND THE FUTURE OF SS AND MEDICARE.

    AND THE WAY OBAMAO/BIDEN HAVE BEEN GOING, WE WILL CRASH ECONOMICALLY.

    I thought it was obvious. "sorry". And the subject is Paul Ryan. and what does hurting when you pee have to do with the subject of the thread?😠

  • @vaportrail said:

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

    It hurts when I pee.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    It hurts when I pee.

    Then don't pee.

    WSS

  • It hurts when I pee Kosar

    ******************************

    I saw this medical show? That can happen when you swim in parasite infected tropical waters.

    You see, you get this parasite that...

    never mind. You might want to look it up if you've been on a tropical vacation

    and went swimming......

  • BTW, Obamao and the senate haven't offered up a budget in over three years.

    The Republicans have in the House.

    Need Rep in control of the Senate,

    and the #1 public enemy in our WH, out in Nov.

    well, make that Jan. You know what I mean...😵

    What does this have to do with the topic, grow up. We know he sucks, we get it. Agreed. I didn't vote for him, and will not again. We know this shit already.

    *****************************************************

    Welll, I'll tell you. Paul Ryan HAS SUBMITTED A BUDGET. THE SENATE WON'T EVEN VOTE ON HIS, OR ANY OTHER BUDGET.

    PAUL RYAN KNOWS WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS TROUBLE WITH OUR DEBT AND THE FUTURE OF SS AND MEDICARE.

    AND THE WAY OBAMAO/BIDEN HAVE BEEN GOING, WE WILL CRASH ECONOMICALLY.

    I thought it was obvious. "sorry". And the subject is Paul Ryan. and what does hurting when you pee have to do with the subject of the thread?😠

    @calfoxwc said:

    Welll, I'll tell you. Paul Ryan HAS SUBMITTED A BUDGET. THE SENATE WON'T EVEN VOTE ON HIS, OR ANY OTHER BUDGET.

    PAUL RYAN KNOWS WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS TROUBLE WITH OUR DEBT AND THE FUTURE OF SS AND MEDICARE.

    AND THE WAY OBAMAO/BIDEN HAVE BEEN GOING, WE WILL CRASH ECONOMICALLY.

    I thought it was obvious. "sorry". And the subject is Paul Ryan. and what does hurting when you pee have to do with the subject of the thread?😠

    Almost had one post without Obama. We know we will crash Cal. Stay positive bro.

  • It hurts when I pee Kosar

    ******************************

    I saw this medical show? That can happen when you swim in parasite infected tropical waters.

    You see, you get this parasite that...

    never mind. You might want to look it up if you've been on a tropical vacation

    and went swimming......

    @calfoxwc said:

    It hurts when I pee Kosar

    ******************************

    I saw this medical show? That can happen when you swim in parasite infected tropical waters.

    You see, you get this parasite that...

    never mind. You might want to look it up if you've been on a tropical vacation

    and went swimming......

    I was joking, free clinic. Why would I go on a tropical vacation, I got some of the best beaches in the world 20 seconds from my house.

  • Good post Legacy.

    Nice to see you.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Good post Legacy.

    Nice to see you.

    WSS

    Thanks bud. Congrats on the 'new gig.' I hope you have Advil.

  • @legacy-fan said:

    Many providers are not honoring medicare/caid anymore because the reimbursements are abysmally low, take too long to receive, and are a pain to deal with. Many providers (at least in my field) will just do the work for free for the aforementioned patients or volunteer in free clinics to provide the care. THAT'S HOW BIG OF A HEADACHE MEDICARE IS.

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

    @vaportrail said:

    If you have medicare, you don't qualify for treatment at the free clinic I volunteer at.

    Just another reason to get rid of it.

  • He works out too you guys