Skip to content

Adios

Political Discussion
35 11 1.2k
  • Actually, in my limited experience, anytime I see or perceive an abuse of the system it has been Among the Medicaid recipients. And before you get the wrong idea most of my anecdotal opinion concerns white people in my East Ohio hometown which I still visit regularly. Whether it's general relief, s s I disability or adc these people don't give a damn what the medical care might cost because they have no responsibility to contribute. I'm not saying that these are necessarily bad people but the system promotes following the stream of least resistance.

    And let me say that these folks are not the Republican base, quite the opposite.

    They hate Republicans with a fervor that matches some of our right wing posters here.

    The latest out rage?

    There are now restrictions on how much oxycotone they can get from multiple doctor visits.

    [ I may have spelled that wrong, legacy]

    The path of least resistance has no regard for color, race or national origin.

    1 tiny anecdote:

    1 guy I spoke with on disability who was pissed off about the pain medication restriction, told me I should have called him first when I had some repairs done to my rental property. I told him that I thought he was on disability. He told me that he was but we could get somebody else to sign for the permits. Sheesh.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually, in my limited experience, anytime I see or perceive an abuse of the system it has been Among the Medicaid recipients. And before you get the wrong idea most of my anecdotal opinion concerns white people in my East Ohio hometown which I still visit regularly. Whether it's general relief, s s I disability or adc these people don't give a damn what the medical care might cost because they have no responsibility to contribute. I'm not saying that these are necessarily bad people but the system promotes following the stream of least resistance.

    And let me say that these folks are not the Republican base, quite the opposite.

    They hate Republicans with a fervor that matches some of our right wing posters here.

    The latest out rage?

    There are now restrictions on how much oxycotone they can get from multiple doctor visits.

    [ I may have spelled that wrong, legacy]

    The path of least resistance has no regard for color, race or national origin.

    1 tiny anecdote:

    1 guy I spoke with on disability who was pissed off about the pain medication restriction, told me I should have called him first when I had some repairs done to my rental property. I told him that I thought he was on disability. He told me that he was but we could get somebody else to sign for the permits. Sheesh.

    WSS

    That sounds about right. It's a pretty ridiculous phenomenon regarding the drugs, but I just can't imagine writing scripts out for people that appear to have as much pharmacology knowledge as I do, basically coming in to "see the menu." Luckily, it only takes seeing one or two of these patients figure out their MO, and be able to spot them from a mile away.

    Any system that gets put in place is going to have people that find ways to work it. Human nature. There are means to help those who really need it, despite not being advertised as well as the "word of mouth Medicaid working system"

    btw, it's Oxycodone (but most of us knew what you were talking about), or Percocet when paired with Tylenol (acetaminophen).

  • Ah okay.

    So what is percodan these days?

    As I recall percoset was less potent, right?

    WSS

  • Percodan = Oxycodone + Aspirin

    Each have varying doses - varying the narcotic (oxycodone in this case) and the acetaminophen was just recently reduced from 500mg to 325mg.

    eg Percocet is typically written as Oxycodone-APAP 5/325 (5 mg of Oxycodone, 325 mg of acetaminophen)

    Can also be written in 7.5/325 & 10/325 doses.

    Edit:

    for relative pain threshold, If I've removed an entire arch of 10-16 teeth (all your upper teeth to restore with an upper denture) then the avg patient will be dispensed 20, or 25 7.5/325 Percocets. And that usually takes care of them for 7-8 days as directed and they're free from pain.

  • Percodan = Oxycodone + Aspirin

    Each have varying doses - varying the narcotic (oxycodone in this case) and the acetaminophen was just recently reduced from 500mg to 325mg.

    eg Percocet is typically written as Oxycodone-APAP 5/325 (5 mg of Oxycodone, 325 mg of acetaminophen)

    Can also be written in 7.5/325 & 10/325 doses.

    Edit:

    for relative pain threshold, If I've removed an entire arch of 10-16 teeth (all your upper teeth to restore with an upper denture) then the avg patient will be dispensed 20, or 25 7.5/325 Percocets. And that usually takes care of them for 7-8 days as directed and they're free from pain.

    @legacy-fan said:

    Percodan = Oxycodone + Aspirin

    Each have varying doses - varying the narcotic (oxycodone in this case) and the acetaminophen was just recently reduced from 500mg to 325mg.

    eg Percocet is typically written as Oxycodone-APAP 5/325 (5 mg of Oxycodone, 325 mg of acetaminophen)

    Can also be written in 7.5/325 & 10/325 doses.

    Edit:

    for relative pain threshold, If I've removed an entire arch of 10-16 teeth (all your upper teeth to restore with an upper denture) then the avg patient will be dispensed 20, or 25 7.5/325 Percocets. And that usually takes care of them for 7-8 days as directed and they're free from pain.

    Ugh. Damn you're the expert but that sounds stingy for that many holes in your head.

  • The toothache(s) they were suffering from was much worse than what I inflict on them. Typically the infection is so bad that some patients can't get numb. They go directly to sedation or Gen Anesthesia.

    But if we're doing a lot of bone remodeling/removal, they'll get 30 pills (10 days). After that, any residual pain can be managed with OTC meds.

  • I just had a molar removed that was cracked.

    All for roots snapped off and he had to drill them all out.

    I try to avoid narcotics so I took some aspirin but it hurt like hell!

    Amazingly the generic Advil, I think, ( the 1 that isn't Tylenol) was pretty effective.

    WSS

  • Ouch.. Not much fun for sure. 4 roots too?!!!! Yikes. Advil (ibuprofen) is a remarkable pain med because it also combats inflammatory agents (which are also responsible for pain) in addition to general pain relief.

    400mg (2 OTC) is typically enough to achieve a therapeutic threshold for most. Careful as too much of these will mutilate your kidneys.

  • Ouch.. Not much fun for sure. 4 roots too?!!!! Yikes. Advil (ibuprofen) is a remarkable pain med because it also combats inflammatory agents (which are also responsible for pain) in addition to general pain relief.

    400mg (2 OTC) is typically enough to achieve a therapeutic threshold for most. Careful as too much of these will mutilate your kidneys.

    @legacy-fan said:

    Ouch.. Not much fun for sure. 4 roots too?!!!! Yikes. Advil (ibuprofen) is a remarkable pain med because it also combats inflammatory agents (which are also responsible for pain) in addition to general pain relief.

    400mg (2 OTC) is typically enough to achieve a therapeutic threshold for most. Careful as too much of these will mutilate your kidneys.

    Frankly I've personally found advil/tylenol aceitominophan (sic) to manage pain better than opiods. Opiods are good for forgetting you're in pain when it ain't going away, because you broke your leg or something.

  • A lesson in irony.

    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals."

    Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

    This ends today's lesson.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    A lesson in irony.

    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals."

    Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

    This ends today's lesson.

    That's actually amazingly relevant. Kudos.

  • @legacy-fan said:

    Ouch.. Not much fun for sure. 4 roots too?!!!! Yikes. Advil (ibuprofen) is a remarkable pain med because it also combats inflammatory agents (which are also responsible for pain) in addition to general pain relief.

    400mg (2 OTC) is typically enough to achieve a therapeutic threshold for most. Careful as too much of these will mutilate your kidneys.

    Frankly I've personally found advil/tylenol aceitominophan (sic) to manage pain better than opiods. Opiods are good for forgetting you're in pain when it ain't going away, because you broke your leg or something.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Frankly I've personally found advil/tylenol aceitominophan (sic) to manage pain better than opiods. Opiods are good for forgetting you're in pain when it ain't going away, because you broke your leg or something.

    Exactly. While opioids do have analgesic MOAs, their anxiolytic qualities are well suited for major emergencies (ie battlefield, auto wreck, etc.)