Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. The Campaign Review

The Campaign Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
2 Posts 2 Posters 534 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    The Campaign

    Warner Brothers

    R 85 min

    I get the feeling that it's deja vu all over again. Last time didn't I review a fun action flick and a raunchy comedy? Well, here is a couple more. I didn't like THE BOURNE LEGACY quite as well as TOTAL RECALL bur THE CAMPAIGN was at least a step up from THE WATCH. Now don't get too excited, just the fact that it stars Will Ferrell tells you that it won't be a huge step up but...

    Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, he's just one of those stars whose celebrity puzzles me. He doesn't seem like a jerk, but he possesses neither the talent of a Dan Aykroyd nor the riveting charisma of a John Belushi. Then again American audiences seem to love him so what can I say? Here he's congressman Cam Brady a shoe in to win the North Carolina 14th district election unopposed. This guy is a crooked, platitude spewing, lecherous, lying skirt chasing scumbag with perfectly coiffed hair. (I wonder if Senator John Edwards was a technical advisor for this role.)

    One evening he dials a wrong number and leaves a sexually explicit message meant for his mistress on the answering machine of a straight laced American Christian family.

    All of a sudden he is a pariah; especially to the two billionaire brothers (Aykroyd and John Lithgow) who are financing is campaigns for their own evil purposes.

    Mind you that this is over the top adult comedy from the beginning so let’s not take anything really seriously, okay?

    For no apparent reason they decide the candidate to run against him is Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis) the seemingly idiotic son of some other influential billionaire. That, however, is not nearly the most unbelievable portion of the film so far. Accepting the notion that Galifianakis is actually in a heterosexual marriage and has sired two children is tougher than buying Myron Cohen as the pope.

    Basically this is a series of dirty jokes and left wing political commentary. I don't mind left wing political commentary and dirty jokes as long as it's funny. Oh it isn't great by any stretch of the imagination but there were at least a few spots where I laughed out loud and that, friends, is the bottom line is a comedy.

    As I say Ferrell is blessed with meager talent but his tried and true persona seems to fit this roll well. I can't really think of anyone else that would have done a substantially better job with the material.

    Barely OK I give it…

    C+

    (footnote I just found out Dan’s name is spelled Aykroyd.)

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Zombo Z
      • 8k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Watched last night ... the story is lame and the characters weak ... but there are some really, really funny lines ... so worth the watch I guess.

      Zombo

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply

      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

      Register Login
      Reply
      • Reply as topic
      Log in to reply
      • Oldest to Newest
      • Newest to Oldest
      • Most Votes


      Theme
      • System
      • Light
      • Dark
      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

      • First post
        Last post
      0
      • Forums
      • Recent
      • Popular
      • Users
      • Donate