Skip to content

The 30 Greatest Football Places In America

The Browns Board
132 31 8.0k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, the Bleacher Report screwed the pooch on this one...their so calle "best high school programs" of all time:

    How legit can it be? No Massillon, no McKinley, no Valdosta, no St. Ignatius, no Odessa Permian, no Cincinnatti Moeller, no Pittsburgh North Hills, no Berwick PA etc.:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

    http://www.parade.com/news/all-america/2010/top-10-high-school-football-programs.html?index=11

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/49223-top-10-high-school-football-programs-of-all-time

    Permian is barely hanging on to greatest Texas programs status.

    Also, Columbia should not be on the list.

    @wargograw said:

    Permian is barely hanging on to greatest Texas programs status.

    Again....this is historical. Not just this week's/years poll.

    Do you know of a high school program that has their kind of tradition?

    I mean, Massillon and McKinley have not had a ton of success lately....but tradition certainly keeps that going.

    Also, Columbia should not be on the list.

    Well,I am inclined to keep it.

    But...my father in law has since passed away since this list was originally made, so I no longer really have the personal attachment to USC as I did before. This was just a tribute to him (not a real attachment of mine). If you think it should go out, who should go in?

  • I know it's historical. Other historically great programs are adding state titles regularly. I don't think Permian's won one since 89. Maybe 92?

    Probably Athens, I guess. Or college station.

  • They're tied for 7th in most state championships in Texas.

    How have you never been to an OSU game?

  • The Allen Texas High School Stadium (Where current A&M QB Kyler Murray won 3 state championships and went 47-0).

    https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=allen+texas+football+stadium&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

  • You posted a Yahoo search!

  • This is half of my high school's stadium. It costs $6M almost 10 years ago. The outside facade is probably the highlight thought you can't see it here.

    3.jpg

  • You posted a Yahoo search!

    @wargograw said:

    You posted a Yahoo search!

    I clicked on (copied and pasted) the night time picture under that search, but it does not want to admit it. 😛

  • Ole Miss belongs, pure and simple. Just don't kick off another team from the SEC. College football rules. As Zombo said, Miami is a shit place

  • They're tied for 7th in most state championships in Texas.

    How have you never been to an OSU game?

    @wargograw said:

    They're tied for 7th in most state championships in Texas.

    How have you never been to an OSU game?

    I assume you are talking to me?

    When you say "they" are you talking about Odessa Periman...or someone else?

    And, on another note...I know that Friday Night Lights is based on Permian....but what about the Odessa HS in "Heroes" is that supposed to be Permian or the other Odessa HS....Odessa High?

    And, no, I have never been to an OSU game. Numerous opportunities....preferred to watch on TV

  • This is half of my high school's stadium. It costs $6M almost 10 years ago. The outside facade is probably the highlight thought you can't see it here.

    3.jpg

    @wargograw said:

    This is half of my high school's stadium. It costs $6M almost 10 years ago. The outside facade is probably the highlight thought you can't see it here.

    3.jpg

    What school is this?

  • @wargograw said:

    This is half of my high school's stadium. It costs $6M almost 10 years ago. The outside facade is probably the highlight thought you can't see it here.

    3.jpg

    What school is this?

    @the-gipper said:

    What school is this?

    Westlake High School, Austin.

  • Ole Miss belongs, pure and simple. Just don't kick off another team from the SEC. College football rules. As Zombo said, Miami is a shit place

    @ballpeen said:

    Ole Miss belongs, pure and simple. Just don't kick off another team from the SEC. College football rules. As Zombo said, Miami is a shit place

    I know we have been through this..... I did put Ole Miss on if you recall.....in spite of a lack of a tradition of excellence. Right here, right now seems like the best they have ever been.

    And no, I think I have to keep Miami. It is still the location of both a very successful NFL franchise, a successful college program, and successful high school programs.

    Winning has to be a factor as well as pomp and circumstance.

    Wargo and you can collaborate on who should be left out. ( I chose Tenn.....but I am open to discussion. I also changed and replaced KC with Baltimore)

  • DSC03016.JPG

    Odessa Permian stadium

    @the-gipper said:

    DSC03016.JPG

    Odessa Permian stadium

    I am going to be in Odessa in November. I may try to swing by and see this stadium.

  • @wargograw said:

    They're tied for 7th in most state championships in Texas.

    How have you never been to an OSU game?

    I assume you are talking to me?

    When you say "they" are you talking about Odessa Periman...or someone else?

    And, on another note...I know that Friday Night Lights is based on Permian....but what about the Odessa HS in "Heroes" is that supposed to be Permian or the other Odessa HS....Odessa High?

    And, no, I have never been to an OSU game. Numerous opportunities....preferred to watch on TV

    @the-gipper said:

    I assume you are talking to me?

    When you say "they" are you talking about Odessa Periman...or someone else?

    And, on another note...I know that Friday Night Lights is based on Permian....but what about the Odessa HS in "Heroes" is that supposed to be Permian or the other Odessa HS....Odessa High?

    And, no, I have never been to an OSU game. Numerous opportunities....preferred to watch on TV

    Yes I was.

    Yes they have two schools. Though it isn't the biggest rivalry around. That would be Permian and Led. Side note: I was at UT's stadium to watch Cedric Benson lead Lee past my high school for the state title when I was like 10.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What school is this?

    Westlake High School, Austin.

    @gftchris said:

    Westlake High School, Austin.

    Nice job! How do you know?

  • @ballpeen said:

    Ole Miss belongs, pure and simple. Just don't kick off another team from the SEC. College football rules. As Zombo said, Miami is a shit place

    I know we have been through this..... I did put Ole Miss on if you recall.....in spite of a lack of a tradition of excellence. Right here, right now seems like the best they have ever been.

    And no, I think I have to keep Miami. It is still the location of both a very successful NFL franchise, a successful college program, and successful high school programs.

    Winning has to be a factor as well as pomp and circumstance.

    Wargo and you can collaborate on who should be left out. ( I chose Tenn.....but I am open to discussion. I also changed and replaced KC with Baltimore)

    @the-gipper said:

    I know we have been through this..... I did put Ole Miss on if you recall.....in spite of a lack of a tradition of excellence. Right here, right now seems like the best they have ever been.

    And no, I think I have to keep Miami. It is still the location of both a very successful NFL franchise, a successful college program, and successful high school programs.

    Winning has to be a factor as well as pomp and circumstance.

    Wargo and you can collaborate on who should be left out. ( I chose Tenn.....but I am open to discussion. I also changed and replaced KC with Baltimore)

    Miami belongs due to HS talent alone. I went to the vaunted Miami Northwestern versus Southlake Carroll (Dallas dynasty) game at SMU in 07. Northwestern was said to be the most talented team of all time. They had backups with D1 scholarships and I think 8 Miami signees.

  • I'm not a fan of U of Washington, or the Seahawks, but that's a great fan base up there.

    Also, Morgantown WVa. is a cool place to catch a game.

  • @gftchris said:

    Westlake High School, Austin.

    Nice job! How do you know?

    @wargograw said:

    Nice job! How do you know?

    Google image search. Just thought I'd freak you out a bit 😉

  • I'm not a fan of U of Washington, or the Seahawks, but that's a great fan base up there.

    Also, Morgantown WVa. is a cool place to catch a game.

    @bob806 said:

    I'm not a fan of U of Washington, or the Seahawks, but that's a great fan base up there.

    Also, Morgantown WVa. is a cool place to catch a game.

    I have been to both stadiums (not to a game....just to walk around). Husky stadium has a very beautiful setting, and those 'eers fans are avid......but I wouldn't put either in top 30. Add to honorable mention.

  • DSC03016.JPG

    Odessa Permian stadium

    @the-gipper said:

    DSC03016.JPG

    Odessa Permian stadium

    I stopped and took a look at this stadium November of last year when I was in Odessa.