Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Local Broadcasters

Local Broadcasters

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
10 Posts 7 Posters 736 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • BadNewsBrowns BadNewsBrownsB
    • 1k Posts
    • 97 Reputation
    BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I remember a time when Jim Donovan was the TV play by play guy for Browns games.

    Can't really remember when it changed to the national affiliate guys but my guess is when NBC lost rights for day games.

    I'd much rather have Jimmy calling the game than some of these horrible national guys.

    Sometimes I try to mute the TV and leave the radio on but it's never in sync.

    Anyone know why the local guys never call the game on TV anymore and know when it changed?

    "All Truth Passes Through Three stages. First, It Is Ridiculed, Second It Is Violently Opposed, And Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident" ~Arthur Schopenhauer
    sisky fringoS 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns

      I remember a time when Jim Donovan was the TV play by play guy for Browns games.

      Can't really remember when it changed to the national affiliate guys but my guess is when NBC lost rights for day games.

      I'd much rather have Jimmy calling the game than some of these horrible national guys.

      Sometimes I try to mute the TV and leave the radio on but it's never in sync.

      Anyone know why the local guys never call the game on TV anymore and know when it changed?

      sisky fringo sisky fringoS
      • 2k Posts
      • 96 Reputation
      sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
      #2

      @badnewsbrowns said:

      I remember a time when Jim Donovan was the TV play by play guy for Browns games.

      me too, it was two weeks ago. 🙂

      Can't really remember when it changed to the national affiliate guys but my guess is when NBC lost rights for day games.

      it changed last week for regular season

      I'd much rather have Jimmy calling the game than some of these horrible national guys.

      Sometimes I try to mute the TV and leave the radio on but it's never in sync.

      if i had a nickle for every Browns fan that's done that!! i know exactly what you're saying.

      all we really need is Dieken and Donovan's radio feed broadcasted online on a media player with a slidebar on it that we can slow up ten seconds or whatever. that should solve most of the issue cuz he's usually ahead of the tv.

      Anyone know why the local guys never call the game on TV anymore and know when it changed?

      Donovan and Bernie call every preseason game every year. then they go to the national schmucks week 1 regulasr season.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • BadNewsBrowns BadNewsBrownsB
        • 1k Posts
        • 97 Reputation
        BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns wrote on last edited by
        #3

        What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

        I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

        I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

        Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

        "All Truth Passes Through Three stages. First, It Is Ridiculed, Second It Is Violently Opposed, And Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident" ~Arthur Schopenhauer
        VaporTrailV The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns

          What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

          I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

          I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

          Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

          VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 6k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @badnewsbrowns said:

          What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

          I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

          I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

          Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

          I'm pretty sure Fox typically covers the Browns when we play an NFC team.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
            • 30k Posts
            • 6k Reputation
            Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Seems to me the days of the local broadcasters doing regular season TV went out sometime around the league merger.

            The last local Browns TV broadcaster I can recall was Ken Coleman... I went to HS with his son, Casey.

            "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Browns149 Browns149B Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 10k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              The only time they use local broadcasters is pre-season. I don't ever remember local broadcasters doing a regular season game. But I'm only 42, so maybe back in the 60's they did it

              "And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve."
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns

                What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

                I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

                I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

                Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                • 57k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @badnewsbrowns said:

                What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

                I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

                I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

                Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

                I think you are mistaken. Nev did the radio broadcasts of the Browns...pre and regular season. Jim Donovan replaced Nev when he died.

                Jim Donovan MAY have been used on National Broadcasts when NBC had the games..but he may not have necesarily done Browns games. He could have been doing any teams games.

                djdawg2010D 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  @badnewsbrowns said:

                  What I'm saying is Nev Chandler and then Jim Donovan used to call the regular season games every week.

                  I think it changed when Cbs or Fox got the TV rights from NBC.

                  I could swear it wasn't that long ago.

                  Am I mistaken? Have regular season games always been called by national guys?

                  I think you are mistaken. Nev did the radio broadcasts of the Browns...pre and regular season. Jim Donovan replaced Nev when he died.

                  Jim Donovan MAY have been used on National Broadcasts when NBC had the games..but he may not have necesarily done Browns games. He could have been doing any teams games.

                  djdawg2010 djdawg2010D
                  • 862 Posts
                  • 24 Reputation
                  djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  I think you are mistaken. Nev did the radio broadcasts of the Browns...pre and regular season. Jim Donovan replaced Nev when he died.

                  Jim Donovan MAY have been used on National Broadcasts when NBC had the games..but he may not have necesarily done Browns games. He could have been doing any teams games.

                  Actually Casey Coleman replaced Nev when he passed away. Jim Donovan didn't become the play by play guy until the team returned in 1999.

                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • djdawg2010D djdawg2010

                    @the-gipper said:

                    I think you are mistaken. Nev did the radio broadcasts of the Browns...pre and regular season. Jim Donovan replaced Nev when he died.

                    Jim Donovan MAY have been used on National Broadcasts when NBC had the games..but he may not have necesarily done Browns games. He could have been doing any teams games.

                    Actually Casey Coleman replaced Nev when he passed away. Jim Donovan didn't become the play by play guy until the team returned in 1999.

                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                    • 57k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @djdawg2010 said:

                    Actually Casey Coleman replaced Nev when he passed away. Jim Donovan didn't become the play by play guy until the team returned in 1999.

                    Right, after Nev died from cance, Coleman took over, but then didn't Casey Coleman also die young of cancer?

                    And Jim Donovan is fighting a bout with cancer is he not?

                    What does that say for the next person they tap to do the Browns radio play by play?

                    djdawg2010D 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                      @djdawg2010 said:

                      Actually Casey Coleman replaced Nev when he passed away. Jim Donovan didn't become the play by play guy until the team returned in 1999.

                      Right, after Nev died from cance, Coleman took over, but then didn't Casey Coleman also die young of cancer?

                      And Jim Donovan is fighting a bout with cancer is he not?

                      What does that say for the next person they tap to do the Browns radio play by play?

                      djdawg2010 djdawg2010D
                      • 862 Posts
                      • 24 Reputation
                      djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @the-gipper said:

                      Right, after Nev died from cance, Coleman took over, but then didn't Casey Coleman also die young of cancer?

                      And Jim Donovan is fighting a bout with cancer is he not?

                      What does that say for the next person they tap to do the Browns radio play by play?

                      I do see a pattern here with the cancer. Perhaps there should be a surgeon general's warning: Being the play by play announcer for the Browns can be hazardous to your health, and has been known to cause cancer. 😆

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      Theme
                      • System
                      • Light
                      • Dark
                      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Forums
                      • Recent
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Donate