Skip to content

Much Improved

The Browns Board
60 30 3.1k
  • I thought Weeden looked good today. Made some nice throws and did really well standing in the pocket even when there was pressure. The defense struggled obviously but I think the team is on the right track and we actually have some playmakers for the first time. I'd say Richardson looks like the real deal.

    @mark-o said:

    I thought Weeden looked good today. Made some nice throws and did really well standing in the pocket even when there was pressure. The defense struggled obviously but I think the team is on the right track and we actually have some playmakers for the first time. I'd say Richardson looks like the real deal.

    Agree. Give Richardson a chance to get going and he is one tough mofo. Speed, power and moves. Our Defense, especially the secondary disappointed, but with Haden out I expected it.

  • Everyone here is so damn pessimistic. A loss is a loss, obviously. But, do I feel a lot more like there is promise for our #2 youngest NFL team? Definitely. When you lack your two top CBs, even Dalton will run rounds on you. Minus the stupid penalties and the fumble with the lack of having any starting CBs, every aspect of our game looked solid. You all can say whatever you want, but in the end this is true.

  • I agree with the OP... we improved.

    Wheeeden (dropped a "e" for each TD today) obviously showed something today. After being wild high again early he started giving receivers a chance to catch the ball and for the most part they did. While I'm still not seeing him come off his primary as often as he should, at least he was hitting them after settling in. Unfortunately they are getting hit as well as he's still starring them down... almost got Cribbs killed in that last drive. Still immobile under pressure (which puzzles me since he does OK in designed roll-outs)... still goes down too easily... but he did deliver a couple nice balls with pressure in his face.

    Of the WR's MoMass in particular looked good, but then he's our only polished route runner, and clearly is the most able to read the D correctly and adjust accordingly. Little needs to work more on routes and less on celebrations... his gyrations early and late were embarrassing. Gordon is still looking for his game. Apparently Benjamin has been designated for streaks and reverses only. Where is Norwood?

    He played well, but is Watson our only TE?

    TR looked like a #1 today... especially catching the ball and running in the open field. He showed some "shiftiness" today that tells me he's healing and/or getting his feel for the game back. Ogbo's fumble-itis reared its ugly head again. Where are Hardesty and Jackson???

    Marecic? No comment...

    The O-line performance seemed mixed... I'll have to watch a replay focusing on it, but I think I'm safe in saying Schwartz is gonna flunk week 2. He really "olayed" the DE on one sack and we seemed to power to very little gains when we ran right.

    D-wise it was pretty much a week 1 repeat minus the turnovers.... i.e. a lotta yards surrendered. Missing Haden and Brown obviously hurt. Skrine was over-matched. Patterson was decent, but needed to be better than decent. Not much of note out of our Safeties this week.

    LB play led by DQJ seemed decent, but not inspirational this week... excepting DQJ with his INT and great hit on the receiver crossing.

    NOTE: After the above hit the a$$-hat color man called it "a fine-able hit on a defenseless receiver"... total load of shit... it was a perfect hit right to the receiver's chest plate/ under his chin and was delivered by DQJ with his head up... he saw what he hit... AND it separated the receiver from the ball... FROM THE FRIGGING BALL!!! It was a textbook hit... if it's fined, and I doubt it will be, I may never watch another game.

    D-line seemed good again to me, but as with the O-line I need to look at the game tape.

    Lastly we have to remember that we were a punt return TD from a tie game at the end.

  • Norwood was out due to some injury.

  • @dawg08 said:

    Uh, about 150 of those yards were given up due to Cincy's prevent defense. They didn't have to play much defense once they got got up by 14. They knew our defense couldn't stop them.

    If C- is your rating of the team as a whole, I agree, but Weeden definitely played better than that. We lost the game because of

    • Penalties
    • Pacman's Return TD
    • Ogbannaya's Fumble

    Our secondary played like shit, but the only person there today who'd start on another team is TJ Ward.

    @vaportrail said:

    If C- is your rating of the team as a whole, I agree, but Weeden definitely played better than that. We lost the game because of

    • Penalties
    • Pacman's Return TD
    • Ogbannaya's Fumble

    Our secondary played like shit, but the only person there today who'd start on another team is TJ Ward.

    all the missed tackles didn't help either

  • @dawg08 said:

    Uh, about 150 of those yards were given up due to Cincy's prevent defense. They didn't have to play much defense once they got got up by 14. They knew our defense couldn't stop them.

    If C- is your rating of the team as a whole, I agree, but Weeden definitely played better than that. We lost the game because of

    • Penalties
    • Pacman's Return TD
    • Ogbannaya's Fumble

    Our secondary played like shit, but the only person there today who'd start on another team is TJ Ward.

    @vaportrail said:

    If C- is your rating of the team as a whole, I agree, but Weeden definitely played better than that. We lost the game because of

    • Penalties
    • Pacman's Return TD
    • Ogbannaya's Fumble

    Our secondary played like shit, but the only person there today who'd start on another team is TJ Ward.

    Spot on, Vapor... The penalties killed CLE's drives and sustained Cincy's; that CAN'T happen. The punt return put them in an early hole; one that turned out to be insurmountable. Though the fumble netted no points for the Bengals, the Browns were looking good on that drive. That could've been at least 3 points for the Browns, but the way they were playing, it could've been 7. Who knows.

    The D-Line was much improved today. D`Qwell played well again. The secondary struggled, mostly because of inexperience and lack of talent. When they throw nickel and dime corners on the outside and a 3rd string FS up the middle, they're asking for trouble.

    All that said, if the Browns could just put all of it together for a couple weeks, we could be cheering for a respectable team.

  • @vaportrail said:

    If C- is your rating of the team as a whole, I agree, but Weeden definitely played better than that. We lost the game because of

    • Penalties
    • Pacman's Return TD
    • Ogbannaya's Fumble

    Our secondary played like shit, but the only person there today who'd start on another team is TJ Ward.

    Spot on, Vapor... The penalties killed CLE's drives and sustained Cincy's; that CAN'T happen. The punt return put them in an early hole; one that turned out to be insurmountable. Though the fumble netted no points for the Bengals, the Browns were looking good on that drive. That could've been at least 3 points for the Browns, but the way they were playing, it could've been 7. Who knows.

    The D-Line was much improved today. D`Qwell played well again. The secondary struggled, mostly because of inexperience and lack of talent. When they throw nickel and dime corners on the outside and a 3rd string FS up the middle, they're asking for trouble.

    All that said, if the Browns could just put all of it together for a couple weeks, we could be cheering for a respectable team.

    @philbert79 said:

    Spot on, Vapor... The penalties killed CLE's drives and sustained Cincy's; that CAN'T happen. The punt return put them in an early hole; one that turned out to be insurmountable. Though the fumble netted no points for the Bengals, the Browns were looking good on that drive. That could've been at least 3 points for the Browns, but the way they were playing, it could've been 7. Who knows.

    The D-Line was much improved today. D`Qwell played well again. The secondary struggled, mostly because of inexperience and lack of talent. When they throw nickel and dime corners on the outside and a 3rd string FS up the middle, they're asking for trouble.

    All that said, if the Browns could just put all of it together for a couple weeks, we could be cheering for a respectable team.

    Yeah, the momentum was in our favor when he Ogie caught that in stride. That being said, it's not going to be until week 7 or 8, when all our starters return, that we see a coherent defense, imo.

  • Both our starting CB's were out and the Bengals exposed it all day. Frankly, the defense wasn't awful but two bad blitz calls led to two touchdowns. For the life of me I don't understand why you would play off on the goal line when sending an all out blitz. Other than that, penalties KILLED the browns, but the refs had much to do with that. I don't get those offsides on the corner and Gresham's heel was CLEARLY out of bounds. That was a situation where there's no way in hell the way he bobbled that the real refs call that complete. Also, on two touchdown drives we had them stopped on third downs but penalties moved the sticks.

    Offense wins football games in today's NFL, and Weeden and Richardson looked damn good today. If we just get some more discipline for the penalties and keep playing offense like that we can actually compete.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Frankly, the defense wasn't awful but two bad blitz calls led to two touchdowns.

    Really? The defense wasn't awful? What is your definition of awful?

  • I wish I could be like all you Pollyannas (Definition for the Challenged) , but the reality is the Browns suck. I know there are people here older than me, but I have been a diehard Browns fan for over 50 years (I actually remember the '64 Championship game you so long for). After today, I'm guessing I'm not going to attend a Super Bowl.

    Flame me and curse me all you want, but get your heads out of your asses..... An improved performance means nothing (ok, make your case, but I don't believe it). We lost. That means we didn't win ! There's nothimg in the NFL that awards the Lombardi Trophy to the most improved team (which we are not even close to being). Do I know what the problem is? Probably not, but I have ideas. Do I know how to fix the problem? Maybe not, but Randy leaving is a step in the right direction.

    I side with "the bitchers", but I understand the loyalty of the Pollyannas, the problem being reallity. Let's talk about improvement at the end of the season when they make the playoffs and move to the second round. Oops, guess even you guys don't believe that.

    Flame away, it is an alternative to being a champion.

  • Really? The defense wasn't awful? What is your definition of awful?
    I dunno who is good or bad yet.

    CLE and CIN both fielded top 10 defenses last season in Points per Game.

    I would not expect either of these teams to suddenly suck, although that could be the case.

    But anyways, I will wait for the game to be edited down to the 20 minute condensed version before it's worth my time to watch it.

    Some people either have a agenda or don't know much about the game.

    Well, I'm not a fan of either team, but I didn't watch the hole game yet, so WTF do I know.

    Cincy is not even suppose to compete and is suppose to play for last place.

    I think you must be reading last years newspaper.

    CIN was supposed to suck last season.

    Then CIN went to the playoffs.

    I dunno what "experts" are picking CIN to suck this year.

    Maybe it's the same group who picked CIN to suck last year.

    I would think that with a top 10 defense and Dalton and Green in their second season that CIN would be pretty good by now!

    But then WTF do I know!

  • Improvement?

    We lost by 7 instead of 1.

    So....

    WSS

  • I wish I could be like all you Pollyannas (Definition for the Challenged) , but the reality is the Browns suck. I know there are people here older than me, but I have been a diehard Browns fan for over 50 years (I actually remember the '64 Championship game you so long for). After today, I'm guessing I'm not going to attend a Super Bowl.

    Flame me and curse me all you want, but get your heads out of your asses..... An improved performance means nothing (ok, make your case, but I don't believe it). We lost. That means we didn't win ! There's nothimg in the NFL that awards the Lombardi Trophy to the most improved team (which we are not even close to being). Do I know what the problem is? Probably not, but I have ideas. Do I know how to fix the problem? Maybe not, but Randy leaving is a step in the right direction.

    I side with "the bitchers", but I understand the loyalty of the Pollyannas, the problem being reallity. Let's talk about improvement at the end of the season when they make the playoffs and move to the second round. Oops, guess even you guys don't believe that.

    Flame away, it is an alternative to being a champion.

    @kvozel said:

    I wish I could be like all you Pollyannas (Definition for the Challenged) , but the reality is the Browns suck. I know there are people here older than me, but I have been a diehard Browns fan for over 50 years (I actually remember the '64 Championship game you so long for). After today, I'm guessing I'm not going to attend a Super Bowl.

    Flame me and curse me all you want, but get your heads out of your asses..... An improved performance means nothing (ok, make your case, but I don't believe it). We lost. That means we didn't win ! There's nothimg in the NFL that awards the Lombardi Trophy to the most improved team (which we are not even close to being). Do I know what the problem is? Probably not, but I have ideas. Do I know how to fix the problem? Maybe not, but Randy leaving is a step in the right direction.

    I side with "the bitchers", but I understand the loyalty of the Pollyannas, the problem being reallity. Let's talk about improvement at the end of the season when they make the playoffs and move to the second round. Oops, guess even you guys don't believe that.

    Flame away, it is an alternative to being a champion.

    First off that must of been really neat to see the browns actually win a championship. I'm 22 and right now I feel the same way that I'm not going to see a super bowl.

    Let me say that I actually don't think people disagree with you. At the end of the day it's all about putting a +1 in the W column. BUT, we have to start somewhere. This team was so bad 2 years ago that I truly believe the Alabama's and LSU's of the world could have competed against the team. What I saw today was a shell of a team that can seriously compete in today's NFL. A QB who can make the tight throws as well the strikes down the field. I saw a RB bulldoze and makes moves at the second level which make you go "damn!". If you take away the senseless penalties and add the starting CB's, who knows how that game ends up. It's frustrating to see the losses, but this is the first time in a long time I've felt we're going to turn that corner and compete.

    You're right though, that hope means nothing if it never amounts to wins. Weeden could look like Manning but it's all about winning. But if we keep playing offense like we did today and get to full strength, we will.

  • Some of you guys are really jack asses. By your accounts everyone but the Giants sucked last year because they won the Superbowl. Who cares about the improvement they showed through the playoffs.

    Because you know... improvement means nothing. We should go from zero to domination or else who cares.

  • To me, today was a HUGE improvement by the offense.

    Weeden and Richardson both looked like 1st round picks, playing in only their 2nd nfl game. I give them both A's. I mean just look at the stat lines. Richardson is going to be the real deal, and gives me much more optimism about the rest of this season. Weeden as well. Looked more comfortable, threw with confidence, and did not make any big mistakes with the football.

    We still need to see improvement from Little, as far as consistency. And, still waiting for Gordon to do something, but that's a stretch b/c he missed all of camp.

    O-line played average. Run blocking started poor, but got better.

    On D...

    Today proved how good Haden is. Without him, our secondary got exposed. Ward played well, and Patterson played decent. I thought Brown was hurt b/c I never expected Skrine to start. Today was the first day I was wishing for Sheldon Brown to be on the field. I believe it would have made a world of difference as Skrine just got beat too much. He and Brown should have at least done 50/50.

    D-line played great in run D.

    I was kind of missing LJ Fort today. I understand putting Fujita back in, of course, but I trully think starting Fort would be the right move for the future of this defense. Kid looks like a gamer.

    Overall, a tough loss but at least we had some fun watching it. If we can tighten up the D, and keep getting TRich the ball I think we're going to win a few games. We're only 1 game back right now... 😁

  • @dawg08 said:

    Could they actually do any worst on offense then they did last week? And Philly is suppose to be a playoff team and Cincy is not even suppose to compete and is suppose to play for last place with The Browns. I suppose you are enjoying the penalties as well? 98 yards that's improvement, right!

    Who the fuck are you?

    Shut the fuck up, you mindless pessimistic pussnapkin.

    You are why people hate Cleveland fans, you disgusting piece of gutter trash.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Who the fuck are you?

    Shut the fuck up, you mindless pessimistic pussnapkin.

    You are why people hate Cleveland fans, you disgusting piece of gutter trash.

    Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Love this post, says alot with very few words.....Nuff Said

  • I wish I could be like all you Pollyannas (Definition for the Challenged) , but the reality is the Browns suck. I know there are people here older than me, but I have been a diehard Browns fan for over 50 years (I actually remember the '64 Championship game you so long for). After today, I'm guessing I'm not going to attend a Super Bowl.

    Flame me and curse me all you want, but get your heads out of your asses..... An improved performance means nothing (ok, make your case, but I don't believe it). We lost. That means we didn't win ! There's nothimg in the NFL that awards the Lombardi Trophy to the most improved team (which we are not even close to being). Do I know what the problem is? Probably not, but I have ideas. Do I know how to fix the problem? Maybe not, but Randy leaving is a step in the right direction.

    I side with "the bitchers", but I understand the loyalty of the Pollyannas, the problem being reallity. Let's talk about improvement at the end of the season when they make the playoffs and move to the second round. Oops, guess even you guys don't believe that.

    Flame away, it is an alternative to being a champion.

    @kvozel said:

    I wish I could be like all you Pollyannas (Definition for the Challenged) , but the reality is the Browns suck. I know there are people here older than me, but I have been a diehard Browns fan for over 50 years (I actually remember the '64 Championship game you so long for). After today, I'm guessing I'm not going to attend a Super Bowl.

    Flame me and curse me all you want, but get your heads out of your asses..... An improved performance means nothing (ok, make your case, but I don't believe it). We lost. That means we didn't win ! There's nothimg in the NFL that awards the Lombardi Trophy to the most improved team (which we are not even close to being). Do I know what the problem is? Probably not, but I have ideas. Do I know how to fix the problem? Maybe not, but Randy leaving is a step in the right direction.

    I side with "the bitchers", but I understand the loyalty of the Pollyannas, the problem being reallity. Let's talk about improvement at the end of the season when they make the playoffs and move to the second round. Oops, guess even you guys don't believe that.

    Flame away, it is an alternative to being a champion.

    The reality is that we won't be contenders this year, and possibly not next.

    That's the reality. So forgive us "pollyanna's" for realizing that, and not calling for an implosion of the FO and roster yet again.

    How does the saying go? "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

    Yeah, keep calling for everyone's head every year and see how long it takes to get to the playoffs.

  • Norwood was out due to some injury.

    @vaportrail said:

    Norwood was out due to some injury.

    Sufferred in pre-game? Unless that's the case the FO may have a fine coming as he was not on the week's injury report.

  • Weeden looked good hopefully it keeps it up and takes more command of the offense.

    What a breath of fresh air seeing T-Rich make some plays.

    I'm quickly becoming less and less of a Greg Little fan.

    Dude makes one catch and poses like Hulk Hogan as if he made some huge play.

    Catches a touchdown and dances like a freakin idiot, oh well what do you expect from a receiver.

  • Weeden looked good hopefully it keeps it up and takes more command of the offense.

    What a breath of fresh air seeing T-Rich make some plays.

    I'm quickly becoming less and less of a Greg Little fan.

    Dude makes one catch and poses like Hulk Hogan as if he made some huge play.

    Catches a touchdown and dances like a freakin idiot, oh well what do you expect from a receiver.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    Weeden looked good hopefully it keeps it up and takes more command of the offense.

    What a breath of fresh air seeing T-Rich make some plays.

    I'm quickly becoming less and less of a Greg Little fan.

    Dude makes one catch and poses like Hulk Hogan as if he made some huge play.

    Catches a touchdown and dances like a freakin idiot, oh well what do you expect from a receiver.

    Its hard to act like you've been there before when you haven't been there before...

    He was probably really excited. Touchdowns are a rarity on this team. Maybe next time he'll be a little more composed.

  • @vaportrail said:

    Norwood was out due to some injury.

    Sufferred in pre-game? Unless that's the case the FO may have a fine coming as he was not on the week's injury report.

    @tour2ma said:

    Sufferred in pre-game? Unless that's the case the FO may have a fine coming as he was not on the week's injury report.

    Never mind, he was on the inactive list, not injury list.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/54626/inactives-for-bengals-browns-and-ravens

    QB Thaddeus Lewis, WR Jordan Norwood, RB Brandon Jackson, FS Ray Ventrone, LB James-Michael Johnson, OT Oniel Cousins and LB Tank Carder.