Skip to content

Survey Monday 9/24/2012

The Browns Board
49 9 2.1k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    I have thought of several more movie/TV/song locations I have been to:

    A. Tuscon Movie Studios where they filmed Tombstone. (I'm your Huckleberry), and several TV shows like High Chapparell.

    B. Modesto CA. I cruised the streets there thinking I was replicating what the kids in American Graffiti did. Only later did I learn that the movie, though depicting Modesto, was actually shot in Petaluma. I have been through Petaluma, but didn't "cruise" it.

    C. El Pueblo de Los Angeles. The original LA. Inspired by ZORRO. I envisioned the masked man leaping across the rooftops of those buildings. I quite liked it there. It is a hidden LA gem.

    D. Savannah Parks. I fully expected to run into Forrest Gump sitting there.

    E. The New Bedford, Mass. Seaman's Bethel. From a scene in Moby Dick with Gregory Peck. The Bethel was a church where the pulpit is shaped like the bow of a ship.

    F. The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. My wife wanted to go there because of seeing it in Somewhere in Time, with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

    G. Boys Town, Omaha Nebraska. Without the movie starring Spencer Tracy as Father Flanagan this facility would not be near as famous.

    H. Virginia City, Nevada. Here also is the Bonanza connection.

    I. Asbury Park, New Jersey. Trip inspired by Bruce Springsteen's Greetings from Asbury Park album, and particularly "Sandy, Asbury Park, 4th of July". The whole area was pretty much gone, except for Madame Marie's. The Casino was there but vacant. No Latin Lover's dancing with their shirts open, no Tilt a Whirl. All long gone

    J. Tony Packo's. Toledo, Ohio. Sgt. Klinger...MASH...hangout. Good food.

    K. The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Come on, admit it. Half of you have run up the steps and raised your arms in Victory, haven't you. From Rocky of course. Also from Rocky: The Italian Market

    L. Forks, Washington, from Twilight. OK, now, listen. I didn't go to Forks because of Twilight. But I did spend a night in a motel there years before that book/movie ever came out. But, my daughter was jealous of the fact that I had been there. I told her to not be that way, because all there was in Forks are some gas stations, motels, and diners. (It is near the entrance to Olympia NP). Nothing whatsoever to write home about.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    Yes....54th Street Bridge song, NYC

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    Original "elf" Browns pennant from the 60s

    As Geoff Sindelar used to say "nice item" on the elf.

    On the 54th street bridge, love that song, but question: I don't see where there is a 54th street bridge in NYC. Which Bridge is that?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #31

    67.jpg

    Seaman's Bethel Chapel, with the "Prow Pulpit" from Moby Dick, New Bedford Mass.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    grand-hotel01.jpg

    Grand Hotel, Mackinac

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33
    packos-cafe.jpg
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Old-Tucson_30333.jpg

    Old Tuscon Studio. Site of making of Tombstone.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    el_pueblo_map.gif

    Zorro's hangout.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Forrest Gump Bench, Savannah

    forrest-gump-bench.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #37

    He ain't heavy. He's my brother. Boystown

    31254209.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Asbury Park, Boardwalk

    cfiles3339.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #39
    philadelphia-museum-of-art-aka-rocky-philadelphia-museum-of-art-philadelphia.jpg
  • 4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    Yes....54th Street Bridge song, NYC

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    Original "elf" Browns pennant from the 60s

    As Geoff Sindelar used to say "nice item" on the elf.

    On the 54th street bridge, love that song, but question: I don't see where there is a 54th street bridge in NYC. Which Bridge is that?

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @the-gipper said:

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    Yes....54th Street Bridge song, NYC

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    Original "elf" Browns pennant from the 60s

    As Geoff Sindelar used to say "nice item" on the elf.

    On the 54th street bridge, love that song, but question: I don't see where there is a 54th street bridge in NYC. Which Bridge is that?

    I was wrong, it's the 59th St. Bridge

  • Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

    1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

    2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

    3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @the-gipper said:

    Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

    1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

    Haslam & our young talent.

    2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

    Texans & Falcons may get there & the Cards are a question mark as they've come out of nowhere.

    3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

    FAO Schwartz toy store from "Big", but we went to the Boston store (scene was filmed in NYC). The movie WAS the reason we went.

    The Bull & Finch Pub in Boston (Cheers).

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    Not that I recall.

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    I don't collect, but I DO have a 1941 vintage restored split bamboo fly rod that's worth a few hundred bucks.

    My wife has some valuable antique family heirlooms & stuff from her late father's drug store. They'll go to our kids & grandkids.

    Mike

  • Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

    1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

    2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

    3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #42

    @the-gipper said:

    Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

    1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

    I am beginning to like our draft more.. not vs. what I thought we should have done, but in its own right.

    TR is NFL calibre...

    Weeden is progressing, albeit slowly...

    Schwartz is picking up some game unexpectedly in the pass protection area...

    Billy Wynn (a pick I applauded) is all I expected... a high motor, disruptive force in the middle.

    Benjamin is developing nicely... ran a nice curl Sunday in addition to the out for a TD.

    Hughes... not so much...

    2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

    The Texans are the real deal... so long as Schwaub remains upright, they are SB Bound...

    3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

    Been to Giley's before Urban Cowboy was made... not sure if that counts.

    Been to many of the Europe sites Rick Steves features in his PBS travel show...

    4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

    Wow... I got nothin' here...

    5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

    NIB MFSL Beatles Box Set in the factory sealed shipping box... goes for just under $3000 on ebay last I looked... Paid $239 for it in '81 or so at Finger's furniture in Houston, TX.

    NIB AR XA turntable I bought on ebay 8 or so years ago... still sealed.... only one I've ever seen... it's still appreciating (I hope)

  • I have thought of several more movie/TV/song locations I have been to:

    A. Tuscon Movie Studios where they filmed Tombstone. (I'm your Huckleberry), and several TV shows like High Chapparell.

    B. Modesto CA. I cruised the streets there thinking I was replicating what the kids in American Graffiti did. Only later did I learn that the movie, though depicting Modesto, was actually shot in Petaluma. I have been through Petaluma, but didn't "cruise" it.

    C. El Pueblo de Los Angeles. The original LA. Inspired by ZORRO. I envisioned the masked man leaping across the rooftops of those buildings. I quite liked it there. It is a hidden LA gem.

    D. Savannah Parks. I fully expected to run into Forrest Gump sitting there.

    E. The New Bedford, Mass. Seaman's Bethel. From a scene in Moby Dick with Gregory Peck. The Bethel was a church where the pulpit is shaped like the bow of a ship.

    F. The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. My wife wanted to go there because of seeing it in Somewhere in Time, with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

    G. Boys Town, Omaha Nebraska. Without the movie starring Spencer Tracy as Father Flanagan this facility would not be near as famous.

    H. Virginia City, Nevada. Here also is the Bonanza connection.

    I. Asbury Park, New Jersey. Trip inspired by Bruce Springsteen's Greetings from Asbury Park album, and particularly "Sandy, Asbury Park, 4th of July". The whole area was pretty much gone, except for Madame Marie's. The Casino was there but vacant. No Latin Lover's dancing with their shirts open, no Tilt a Whirl. All long gone

    J. Tony Packo's. Toledo, Ohio. Sgt. Klinger...MASH...hangout. Good food.

    K. The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Come on, admit it. Half of you have run up the steps and raised your arms in Victory, haven't you. From Rocky of course. Also from Rocky: The Italian Market

    L. Forks, Washington, from Twilight. OK, now, listen. I didn't go to Forks because of Twilight. But I did spend a night in a motel there years before that book/movie ever came out. But, my daughter was jealous of the fact that I had been there. I told her to not be that way, because all there was in Forks are some gas stations, motels, and diners. (It is near the entrance to Olympia NP). Nothing whatsoever to write home about.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @the-gipper said:

    I have thought of several more movie/TV/song locations I have been to:

    J. Tony Packo's. Toledo, Ohio. Sgt. Klinger...MASH...hangout. Good food.

    I've been to Packo's many, many times as the wife is from Toledo. Sorry if I don't get the National notoriety. It's OK corner bar food, nothing more. If you're connoisseur of a smoked sausage on a bun topped with beef chilli sauce, cheese and onions- you may give it higher marks than I do. The lineup of autographed hot dog buns is mighty impressive though.

    I'll put Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City in the same category.

    And I forgot- been to Fargo, North Dakota. Not sure if the incredibly lousy movie Fargo was shot on location.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I have thought of several more movie/TV/song locations I have been to:

    J. Tony Packo's. Toledo, Ohio. Sgt. Klinger...MASH...hangout. Good food.

    I've been to Packo's many, many times as the wife is from Toledo. Sorry if I don't get the National notoriety. It's OK corner bar food, nothing more. If you're connoisseur of a smoked sausage on a bun topped with beef chilli sauce, cheese and onions- you may give it higher marks than I do. The lineup of autographed hot dog buns is mighty impressive though.

    I'll put Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City in the same category.

    And I forgot- been to Fargo, North Dakota. Not sure if the incredibly lousy movie Fargo was shot on location.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @hoorta said:

    I've been to Packo's many, many times as the wife is from Toledo. Sorry if I don't get the National notoriety. It's OK corner bar food, nothing more. If you're connoisseur of a smoked sausage on a bun topped with beef chilli sauce, cheese and onions- you may give it higher marks than I do. The lineup of autographed hot dog buns is mighty impressive though.

    I'll put Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City in the same category.

    And I forgot- been to Fargo, North Dakota. Not sure if the incredibly lousy movie Fargo was shot on location.

    Well, the national notoriety of Tony Packo's is because Klinger talked about it. The food I had was good...but yes, it was just bar food. Comfort food.

    Lot's of things that are well known are no better than things you don't know. There are probably thousands of Broadway actors that are better actors than Tom Cruise. But Cruise is famous and they aren't.

    On Fargo, I loved that movie, and I have been there. But I was just passing through. I didn't go because of the movie. The place to go because of that movie would have been Brainerd MN, with its statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. But I never made it to Brainerd.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #45

    So? Tourma, what was the attraction about Gilley's?

    Gilley.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Actually, I guess the ladies above perform at the new Gilley's in one of the Las Vegas Casino's. Unfortuneatly this is what the Gilley's in Pasadena TX looks like now:

    2685738360_a18b6500bc_z.jpg

    I know that the American Pickers were at his place picking up paraphenalia.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Back in the day though:

    gilley_s.jpg?w=450

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #48

    Yup... the movie actually ruined Gilley's. It became a "tourist" destination so many of the mainstays (of which I was not one) went elsewhere...

    After it went bust it was rumored the Sherwood Cryer, the real owner (Mickey Gilley just lent his name to it), torched the place for the insurance... and now it's just the empty field.

    And lovely as they are, no way the ladies you posted are Texans.... hair is not anywhere big enough...