Skip to content

Steelers talk rivalry

The Browns Board
19 9 1.2k
  • FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    the STEELER~BROWNS Rivalry will ALWAYS BE a Rivalry. Because HISTORY still means something. Yes Cleveland is down and out. And has been that way longer than a normal Bad stretch. But they will arise from the Ashes in the Future and ALL the Hatred will Ignite , and the thing will Blow up ! I respct the Browns , because i was raised to Hate the Browns not to Disrespect them. The Rivalry lives. The Intensity is down ... it just needs a Spark. (MAngini ??)

    GOOD post. I think free agency in the modern era of sports diminishes rivalries to an extent when a Rod Woodson goes and plays for the Baltimore Ravens or an Earl Holmes and Orpheus Roye leaves Pittsburgh for a couple more digits in Cleveland. In baseball there's Red Sox becoming Yankees and Yankees becoming Red Sox leaving the rivalry between the fan bases.

    One thing I WILL say is that Pittsburgh has cherished the draft over the years so guys grow up in the league with more of a connection to the local fanbase and vice versa. Baltimore is similar (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, T-Suggs, McClain, Flacco are draftees).

    Unfortunately, the Cleveland Browns have remained over-reliant on free agency so many of the guys coming here care more about the game checks than calling Cleveland their NFL home and connecting with the fanbase. It's also wreaked havoc on continuity and capanomics. There's a couple exceptions to that staement and some of those were local Ohio kids (JJ and Bentley) - others were Steinbach and Rogers wanting to prove their value and commitment to a team and it's fans. I'd probably like free agency better if we found more Steinbachs and Rogers types who actually justified their cap commitments. Last but not least, free agency means severe overpayment to guys like Jason Fisk, Kevin Shaffer, Joe Andruzzi, Antwan Peek, and Gary Baxter (3rd highest paid player on our team and it's not like he came to us with a Deion Sanders resume).

    If our soon-to-be GM is deeper than previous lip services, we're in business to make this more of a rivalry between the players. I'm being honest when I say I haven't found guys I connect with today the way I did so with Ozzie Newsome, Clay Matthews, Greg Pruitt, Mike Johnson, Hanford Dixon, Brian Sipe, Ernest Byner, Jerry Sherk and even EDDIE Johnson for that matter. I'm TRYING to but when I hear our cap isn't healthy and we're stuck on pause averaging 4-5 wins a year, faith that HISTORY will be restored is my biggest bond. I actually LIKE seeing Lerner's sincerity to better the situation. If we're being honest, the Rooneys had a similar start until they looked to a Paul brown pupil to put them on the NFL map. We've come full circle to Lerner trying to hire the RIGHT guy. Perseverance works better than sticking your head between your legs and wussing out. Tell Angelina Ghoo-lie his former friends say hello on your message boards.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    GOOD post. I think free agency in the modern era of sports diminishes rivalries to an extent when a Rod Woodson goes and plays for the Baltimore Ravens or an Earl Holmes and Orpheus Roye leaves Pittsburgh for a couple more digits in Cleveland. In baseball there's Red Sox becoming Yankees and Yankees becoming Red Sox leaving the rivalry between the fan bases.

    One thing I WILL say is that Pittsburgh has cherished the draft over the years so guys grow up in the league with more of a connection to the local fanbase and vice versa. Baltimore is similar (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, T-Suggs, McClain, Flacco are draftees).

    Unfortunately, the Cleveland Browns have remained over-reliant on free agency so many of the guys coming here care more about the game checks than calling Cleveland their NFL home and connecting with the fanbase. It's also wreaked havoc on continuity and capanomics. There's a couple exceptions to that staement and some of those were local Ohio kids (JJ and Bentley) - others were Steinbach and Rogers wanting to prove their value and commitment to a team and it's fans. I'd probably like free agency better if we found more Steinbachs and Rogers types who actually justified their cap commitments. Last but not least, free agency means severe overpayment to guys like Jason Fisk, Kevin Shaffer, Joe Andruzzi, Antwan Peek, and Gary Baxter (3rd highest paid player on our team and it's not like he came to us with a Deion Sanders resume).

    If our soon-to-be GM is deeper than previous lip services, we're in business to make this more of a rivalry between the players. I'm being honest when I say I haven't found guys I connect with today the way I did so with Ozzie Newsome, Clay Matthews, Greg Pruitt, Mike Johnson, Hanford Dixon, Brian Sipe, Ernest Byner, Jerry Sherk and even EDDIE Johnson for that matter. I'm TRYING to but when I hear our cap isn't healthy and we're stuck on pause averaging 4-5 wins a year, faith that HISTORY will be restored is my biggest bond. I actually LIKE seeing Lerner's sincerity to better the situation. If we're being honest, the Rooneys had a similar start until they looked to a Paul brown pupil to put them on the NFL map. We've come full circle to Lerner trying to hire the RIGHT guy. Perseverance works better than sticking your head between your legs and wussing out. Tell Angelina Ghoo-lie his former friends say hello on your message boards.

    - Tom F.

    Very Good...agree .

  • FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    the STEELER~BROWNS Rivalry will ALWAYS BE a Rivalry. Because HISTORY still means something. Yes Cleveland is down and out. And has been that way longer than a normal Bad stretch. But they will arise from the Ashes in the Future and ALL the Hatred will Ignite , and the thing will Blow up ! I respct the Browns , because i was raised to Hate the Browns not to Disrespect them. The Rivalry lives. The Intensity is down ... it just needs a Spark. (MAngini ??)

    I have trashed you on some of your posts before, but this honestly is a good and true post, I hate the Steelers, just because thats how I was raised, but that doesn't mean Im going to be an idiot and say you guys suck, because you don't. I honestly still think its a rivalry with the players as well, whether we are good or not or whether you guys are good or not.....I think the fans make it a huge rivalry too, because thats just how most of us were raised.

    @brownsfan72116 said:

    I have trashed you on some of your posts before, but this honestly is a good and true post, I hate the Steelers, just because thats how I was raised, but that doesn't mean Im going to be an idiot and say you guys suck, because you don't. I honestly still think its a rivalry with the players as well, whether we are good or not or whether you guys are good or not.....I think the fans make it a huge rivalry too, because thats just how most of us were raised.

    I have way too many Browns Fans as Friends to Disrespect you guys. I have been goaded into Picking at you on occasion. But I honestly believe the Browns deserve our respect...it is a Blood and Guts rivalry. A Backyard type of atmosphere. the History is RICH and the Future has better chapters ahead. I Believe that too.

  • well I'll side with Mike Tomlin and the Steeler players when they say that in order to be a rivalry it has to be competitive. And the Browns are not competitive therefore it cannot be a rivalry.

    Who would people rather see right now? Raven/Steelers or Browns/Steelers? I can tell you in is the former and any television network would agree with me.

  • The browns were disappointing to say the least in Prime Time and I'll guarantee the networks won't schedule them for next year.

    What a waste of airtime.

  • well you are a waste of internet!

  • well I'll side with Mike Tomlin and the Steeler players when they say that in order to be a rivalry it has to be competitive. And the Browns are not competitive therefore it cannot be a rivalry.

    Who would people rather see right now? Raven/Steelers or Browns/Steelers? I can tell you in is the former and any television network would agree with me.

    @bossy said:

    well I'll side with Mike Tomlin and the Steeler players when they say that in order to be a rivalry it has to be competitive. And the Browns are not competitive therefore it cannot be a rivalry.

    Who would people rather see right now? Raven/Steelers or Browns/Steelers? I can tell you in is the former and any television network would agree with me.

    Then you are a NEW Fan...If you a Young dude thats fine. You just need educated. If you are a Veteran Fan say in you 30`s or more ...Then your ignorant. Sorry an its all pretty cut and dry.

  • @bossy said:

    well I'll side with Mike Tomlin and the Steeler players when they say that in order to be a rivalry it has to be competitive. And the Browns are not competitive therefore it cannot be a rivalry.

    Who would people rather see right now? Raven/Steelers or Browns/Steelers? I can tell you in is the former and any television network would agree with me.

    Then you are a NEW Fan...If you a Young dude thats fine. You just need educated. If you are a Veteran Fan say in you 30`s or more ...Then your ignorant. Sorry an its all pretty cut and dry.

    FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    Then you are a NEW Fan...If you a Young dude thats fine. You just need educated. If you are a Veteran Fan say in you 30`s or more ...Then your ignorant. Sorry an its all pretty cut and dry.

    Once again it's clear to see an ignorant stooler troll vs a great true steeler fan.

    Wussy - you need to grow up and get a clue son.

    Are you THAT clueless that you post on the Browns site that this isn't a rivalry? Unbelievable....

  • Squintz, I think you quoted the wrong person, FreakofSteel was getting on Bitchy , ooops i ment Bossy!

  • Squintz, I think you quoted the wrong person, FreakofSteel was getting on Bitchy , ooops i ment Bossy!

    @plumcrazy73 said:

    Squintz, I think you quoted the wrong person, FreakofSteel was getting on Bitchy , ooops i ment Bossy!

    Its just ridiculous...You guys know me I DONT pull punches with Browns fan. Please , I aint listening to a Steeler "FAN" Say the Browns aint our Rival. As soon as our Schedule comes out the first thin I do is Find the Cleveland games and Circle them. Cant wait ...EVERY Year. And Every year now... I worry that THIS might be the Game they beat us.... I do. It matters to ANY REAL STEELER FAN. If it doesn't then i have to Wonder what level of commitment they have to the Steelers.

  • Squintz, I think you quoted the wrong person, FreakofSteel was getting on Bitchy , ooops i ment Bossy!

    @plumcrazy73 said:

    Squintz, I think you quoted the wrong person, FreakofSteel was getting on Bitchy , ooops i ment Bossy!

    My bad if my intentions were ill-written. I quoted Freak because of what he wrote about Wussy (my term for bitchy or bossy or loser).

    I was referring to Freak as being a true great steeler fan.