Rock Hall Nominations
-
I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.
Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.
1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Genesis
4. Dream Theater
5. Jethro Tull
6. Porcupine Tree
7. Electric Light Orchestra
8. Blackfield
Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.
I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.
Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.
1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Genesis
4. Dream Theater
5. Jethro Tull
6. Porcupine Tree
7. Electric Light Orchestra
8. Blackfield
Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.
funny how how much of the 70's brand of prog music still has the gas to keep going!
Im with you on your list, Id add Kansas , ELP instead of Blackfield and Porcupine Tree simply because I havent heard of them.. due to my age I bet! lol
Dream Theater is excellent - and Rush just simply impresses live!
-
Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following. I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan. Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
-
well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.
well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.
I guess Albert King is an old Blues master. Related to B.B.King (who is in). I guess I may have confused him with either B.B. or maybe Ben E. King (Stand By Me)
-
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
Yes, it gets brought up every year when the nominations come out. That's OK, its interesting to observe.
Personally, I don't know about Chicago. I will say that they are something different....I don't know if I like it, but they are different.
And I am all in for Free/Bad Company to be considered. I put them in a category with Small Faces, which got in last year.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
I want to see a band like Toto get in. Because most notably 2 people in the band,Steve Lukather (guitar and David Paich (keyboards), Were huge session musicians that played and produced many chart busting songs in the late 70's through the 80's. Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro (Drums) composed and performed the Music(instruments) on Michael Jacksons Thriller. Far as Im concerned the Jackson Estate owes that man (Lukather) Millions since Porcaro has been deceased sinced the early 90's.
-
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.
He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.
Adam Lambert did it for a while. May still be doing it. He is certainly the vocal...and lifestyle progeny of Freddie.
-
RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.
If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.
THEN, now who do we put in?
I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm
RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.
If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.
THEN, now who do we put in?
I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm
Alice Cooper got in last year.
As for who you think should be in because they aren't "rock" enough for you.....read your own first sentence. It is not up to you to define what is rock and what isn't.
Rock n roll came out of three different lineages: blues, country, folk. So to discount someone you think is folk would be a disservice to the origins of rock n roll.
-
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following. I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan. Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following.
I am not sure what planet you lived on back in the day. I liked Tull, but I knew many people who were devoted to them. And they certainly filled the Coliseum with their shows.
I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan.
I would wager that there are 3 people that would disagree with you: Seger, Guthrie, and Dylan.
Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
(yes, but they were primarily "folk")
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
No, they are better. What song did ABBA make that was ever as good a The Love Shack? Again, it is all opinion
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
I agree on the Cars. I just never liked them much...but that is only my personal taste. Hell, my kids don't like Bruce Springsteen...and I have to shake my head at that.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
Well, they do have a policy of putting in 5 or 6 acts per year.
I guess it is like the Baseball Hall of Fame....do 5 or 6 truly elite baseball players come on the scene every year? No. Some years the BBHOF only induct 1 or 2 people. Perhaps the RRHOF should be the same?
The problem is, every year we say: "Why isn't so and so in the RRHOF? It is a travestyt that they are not" (can you hear the KISS army?)
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
I want to see a band like Toto get in. Because most notably 2 people in the band,Steve Lukather (guitar and David Paich (keyboards), Were huge session musicians that played and produced many chart busting songs in the late 70's through the 80's. Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro (Drums) composed and performed the Music(instruments) on Michael Jacksons Thriller. Far as Im concerned the Jackson Estate owes that man (Lukather) Millions since Porcaro has been deceased sinced the early 90's.
I want to see a band like Toto get in. Because most notably 2 people in the band,Steve Lukather (guitar and David Paich (keyboards), Were huge session musicians that played and produced many chart busting songs in the late 70's through the 80's. Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro (Drums) composed and performed the Music(instruments) on Michael Jacksons Thriller. Far as Im concerned the Jackson Estate owes that man (Lukather) Millions since Porcaro has been deceased sinced the early 90's.
The RRHOF has a separate category for "sidemen". A number of people are in there for that reason.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
Well, they do have a policy of putting in 5 or 6 acts per year.
I guess it is like the Baseball Hall of Fame....do 5 or 6 truly elite baseball players come on the scene every year? No. Some years the BBHOF only induct 1 or 2 people. Perhaps the RRHOF should be the same?
The problem is, every year we say: "Why isn't so and so in the RRHOF? It is a travestyt that they are not" (can you hear the KISS army?)
Well, they do have a policy of putting in 5 or 6 acts per year.
I guess it is like the Baseball Hall of Fame....do 5 or 6 truly elite baseball players come on the scene every year? No. Some years the BBHOF only induct 1 or 2 people. Perhaps the RRHOF should be the same?
The problem is, every year we say: "Why isn't so and so in the RRHOF? It is a travestyt that they are not" (can you hear the KISS army?)
Agree 100%. I just don't like the fact that bands like Jane's Addiction(a band that isn't in yet, but they list as a big snub)could ever be considered on the same level as The Beatles in any way. I am too biased on a lot of the bands because of taste, but I'd call anyone crazy if they think the B-52's deserve to be enshrined in the same building as The Beatles, Al Green(biased again), Four Tops, Led Zeppelin and so forth.
As far as Tull is concerned, I wouldn't know how their following was in their prime, but they seemed to have not withstood the test of time, as far as loyal followers are concerned. I've seen them a couple of times, and Mr. Anderson could hear me from where I was located, which doesn't bode well to crowds. Again, I love Jethro Tull, don't get me wrong.
My father and I have had a debate on another band: Three Dog Night. I like them and all, but I consider them the fore fathers of very bad music today. Boy band singing songs others have written. Granted their version of Try a Little Tenderness is my favorite(HUGE OTIS FAN too), but overall I despise them for what they accidentally created.
And last, I will never agree that Peter Paul and Mary were anywhere close to Dylan. PPM used simple and very silly lyrics that were on par for a very bright 5th grader, Harvard teaches classes on Dylan's prose. I guess I kind of compare PPM to mama's and Pappa's, which I shouldn't but I do anyway, and I would make love to Mama Cass right now if I could never have to listen to I Have a Hammer(or whatever the song is named) ever again.
-
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
-
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
Were there better bands than Kiss? Of course there were/are. They sold their share of albums & had a large fan base. Sounds worthy enough to me
-
I'll concede the point that they sold a lot of records. I'll also concede that they had a lot of fans.
However, I believe they are like a baseball player that puts in 10 years, lifetime average .230, 10 homers a year, maybe 50 rbi's. They grew a large fan base from being different (Coco Crisp). Coco is a good ball player, but he will never be in the hall of fame. I'm amazed he has made it this far in is career. He has very little talent, but he plays hard, and because of that he found a niche. Therefore, KISS is Coco Crisp.
I may just be bored. I am at work, and had little else to do but write, well, this.
-
I'll concede the point that they sold a lot of records. I'll also concede that they had a lot of fans.
However, I believe they are like a baseball player that puts in 10 years, lifetime average .230, 10 homers a year, maybe 50 rbi's. They grew a large fan base from being different (Coco Crisp). Coco is a good ball player, but he will never be in the hall of fame. I'm amazed he has made it this far in is career. He has very little talent, but he plays hard, and because of that he found a niche. Therefore, KISS is Coco Crisp.
I may just be bored. I am at work, and had little else to do but write, well, this.
I'll concede the point that they sold a lot of records. I'll also concede that they had a lot of fans.
However, I believe they are like a baseball player that puts in 10 years, lifetime average .230, 10 homers a year, maybe 50 rbi's. They grew a large fan base from being different (Coco Crisp). Coco is a good ball player, but he will never be in the hall of fame. I'm amazed he has made it this far in is career. He has very little talent, but he plays hard, and because of that he found a niche. Therefore, KISS is Coco Crisp.
I may just be bored. I am at work, and had little else to do but write, well, this.
Funny analysis at least..I'd say Kiss is at least Brook Jacoby, 33 Hrs 69 RBIs the one year

-
You know, I thought about the Brook Jacoby/ Pat Tabler comparison
-
Well, they do have a policy of putting in 5 or 6 acts per year.
I guess it is like the Baseball Hall of Fame....do 5 or 6 truly elite baseball players come on the scene every year? No. Some years the BBHOF only induct 1 or 2 people. Perhaps the RRHOF should be the same?
The problem is, every year we say: "Why isn't so and so in the RRHOF? It is a travestyt that they are not" (can you hear the KISS army?)
Agree 100%. I just don't like the fact that bands like Jane's Addiction(a band that isn't in yet, but they list as a big snub)could ever be considered on the same level as The Beatles in any way. I am too biased on a lot of the bands because of taste, but I'd call anyone crazy if they think the B-52's deserve to be enshrined in the same building as The Beatles, Al Green(biased again), Four Tops, Led Zeppelin and so forth.
As far as Tull is concerned, I wouldn't know how their following was in their prime, but they seemed to have not withstood the test of time, as far as loyal followers are concerned. I've seen them a couple of times, and Mr. Anderson could hear me from where I was located, which doesn't bode well to crowds. Again, I love Jethro Tull, don't get me wrong.
My father and I have had a debate on another band: Three Dog Night. I like them and all, but I consider them the fore fathers of very bad music today. Boy band singing songs others have written. Granted their version of Try a Little Tenderness is my favorite(HUGE OTIS FAN too), but overall I despise them for what they accidentally created.
And last, I will never agree that Peter Paul and Mary were anywhere close to Dylan. PPM used simple and very silly lyrics that were on par for a very bright 5th grader, Harvard teaches classes on Dylan's prose. I guess I kind of compare PPM to mama's and Pappa's, which I shouldn't but I do anyway, and I would make love to Mama Cass right now if I could never have to listen to I Have a Hammer(or whatever the song is named) ever again.
Agree 100%. I just don't like the fact that bands like Jane's Addiction(a band that isn't in yet, but they list as a big snub)could ever be considered on the same level as The Beatles in any way. I am too biased on a lot of the bands because of taste, but I'd call anyone crazy if they think the B-52's deserve to be enshrined in the same building as The Beatles, Al Green(biased again), Four Tops, Led Zeppelin and so forth.
As far as Tull is concerned, I wouldn't know how their following was in their prime, but they seemed to have not withstood the test of time, as far as loyal followers are concerned. I've seen them a couple of times, and Mr. Anderson could hear me from where I was located, which doesn't bode well to crowds. Again, I love Jethro Tull, don't get me wrong.
My father and I have had a debate on another band: Three Dog Night. I like them and all, but I consider them the fore fathers of very bad music today. Boy band singing songs others have written. Granted their version of Try a Little Tenderness is my favorite(HUGE OTIS FAN too), but overall I despise them for what they accidentally created.
And last, I will never agree that Peter Paul and Mary were anywhere close to Dylan. PPM used simple and very silly lyrics that were on par for a very bright 5th grader, Harvard teaches classes on Dylan's prose. I guess I kind of compare PPM to mama's and Pappa's, which I shouldn't but I do anyway, and I would make love to Mama Cass right now if I could never have to listen to I Have a Hammer(or whatever the song is named) ever again.
I disagree about Three Dog Night being tantamout to a boy band.
And if you had a "Folk music" Hall of Fame, PPM would be one of the first 5 acts inducted:
You asked for it

-
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
When in fucking hell did you ever think having musical talent had anything to do with Rock and Roll?
If that was the case then half the people in would be out and many more obscure acts would be in: like Glass Harp. Both Jimmy Hendrix and Pete Townshend said that Phil Keaggy was the best guitarist they had ever seen, better than themselves. Yet they won't be in the RRHOF, now will they?
-
...and yes, I hear the KISS army. They are too loud.
In all honesty, I could train monkeys to be better musicians then any of the KISS members ever were.
I get it, they had some pretty rad party songs. They were sweet! They were also make-up wearing pussies that had no musical talent to speak of.
When in fucking hell did you ever think having musical talent had anything to do with Rock and Roll?
If that was the case then half the people in would be out and many more obscure acts would be in: like Glass Harp. Both Jimmy Hendrix and Pete Townshend said that Phil Keaggy was the best guitarist they had ever seen, better than themselves. Yet they won't be in the RRHOF, now will they?
When in fucking hell did you ever think having musical talent had anything to do with Rock and Roll?
If that was the case then half the people in would be out and many more obscure acts would be in: like Glass Harp. Both Jimmy Hendrix and Pete Townshend said that Phil Keaggy was the best guitarist they had ever seen, better than themselves. Yet they won't be in the RRHOF, now will they?
Jimi always said that Terry Kath was the best, hands down. Although hand-eye coordination proved to be his own downfall.
Musical talent does have a lot to do with rock and roll. Although, I am defeated by your overall point, and I agree. However, I think it should be a prerequisite to get in.
Thankfully, I have to press the play button in order to Kath myself; I shall refrain.
How is Three Dog Night not a founding father to 98 degrees and N'sync? They sang other people's songs, had a back-up band playing the music, and they were very poppy. That's 3 for 3 in my book. I could be wrong, and I admit, in wrong vs. right, I have a sub 500 record, but I am still young.
*edit* I do like Three Dog Night, and I have met them all, minus Chuck Negron, on a few occasions. I just think they are the founders of really wretched shit that we hear today.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login