Skip to content

2013 Nfl Draft Discussion

The Browns Board
50 24 2.5k
  • I'm posting this because it's half way through the season, and barring a miracle the Browns will be picking 1-7 again, so really we can discuss everyone and everything. We now have seen the Browns weaknesses and the potential crop of players.

    Mel Kiper released an interesting tidbit on the Midseason NFL Draft Preview. He had the Browns taking Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama. This is the first I've seen where the Browns are not taking a DE or a LB, and to be honest, I like it. He probably could be had if the Browns would trade down a couple picks and gain maybe an extra 3rd or 4th in the process. This would solidify the offensive line, since the interior has been leaving a lot to be desired. The draft is deep at DE, allowing the Browns to pick a pass rusher up in the 3rd.

    Right now I still would prefer Jarvis Jones, but if the Jaguars continue to lose, it seems as if they will pick up the best defensive player.

    With this draft, it would be best to trade down, since it is lacking a true blue chip player. But that also hurts the chances that a team will trade up.

    My players to watch:

    Jarvis Jones, Georgia, OLB - Probably the best pure player in the draft. He is a linebacker that has great size and speed to go along with well-rounded play, including impact pass rush ability.

    Chance Warmack, Alabama, OG - Could step right in and allow the Browns to improve their interior run blocking.

    Damontre Moore, Texas A&M, DE - Absolutely dominating in his first year as a 4-3 DE, a high motor player with great instincts.

    Dion Jordan, Oregon, DE/OLB - This guy is an interesting prospect because he moves all over the field. His versatility is amazing: he covers, takes great angles, rushes the passer, and routinely makes the right call on the field.

    Kenny Vaccaro, Texas, FS - A good candidate for early third rounder. He has great size (6-1, 218) and makes plays all over the field.

    As I watch almost every game for Wisconsin and Oregon a few prospects that jump out are the following: Kenjon Barner (RB UO), Kiko Alonso (OLB UO), Kyle Long (OT UO), and Mike Taylor (OLB UW). Barner has always impressed me with his patience and vision. With those traits combined with his acceleration, probably will make up for his lack of size.

    @mdmusch said:

    I'm posting this because it's half way through the season...

    Wow, I'm totally shocked...you guys made it to the mid-point of the season before starting this thread!?!?

  • @mdmusch said:

    I'm posting this because it's half way through the season...

    Wow, I'm totally shocked...you guys made it to the mid-point of the season before starting this thread!?!?

    Endymion said:

    Wow, I'm totally shocked...you guys made it to the mid-point of the season before starting this thread!?!?

    There is always a draft thread on here. A couple of weeks ago there was one. Trust me, the NFL teams see the draft as a year round endeavor and so do the fans. Plus, it is this time of year that we can see the college players performing.

    Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

    When you watch your team play you see where the weaknesses are...or where the older players are that you expect to be phased out. Though he may play every game we sure do see where Sheldon Brown is getting older and that he will need to be replaced by a new dynamic CB that the team most likely will get in the draft. I mean, if Steeler fans are not seeing and thinking about the fact that some of your dinosaurs are getting creeky, you aren't paying attention to your team.

    Nothing wrong with that.

  • Our biggest draft need will be at CB. Sheldon Brown is in his last year of his contract and will need to be replaced

  • LB, LB, CB, DT, DE, S, FB.

    how many picks do we have anyways? cuz i knew we threw 3 away last year. (i know that has no bearing on next year's draft ya fucks....... just gettin my digs in.)

  • Take the best defensive player available, no trading down.

    Pretty sure we only have our picks this year minus the 2nd we spent on Gordon.

    Hopefully they actually spend some money in free agency this off season, we'll need it.

  • Right now 1 in each round other than 2 (Josh Gordon) this doesnt include possible consempatory picks.

  • I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

  • I would like to see a new CB opposite Haden and a another OLB I also like Mike Taylor. I don't care which way we go first. I trust that the people in charge under the new owner will make the correct choice. If we could trade down once or twice and add a second round pick and maybe another third or fourth that would be huge for us. It is better to build quality through the draft than through free agency. If we have a high pick I would hope they make a trade and get good value then take the best player available impact player. We need a LB or CB the most IMO but if there is somebody sitting there that we think is an impact player at D-end or on the oline or even WR I say we take them. We need impact players. But what the heck do I know.....?

  • Right now 1 in each round other than 2 (Josh Gordon) this doesnt include possible consempatory picks.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Right now 1 in each round other than 2 (Josh Gordon) this doesnt include possible consempatory picks.

    we have a conditional pick this year from Philly for david sims. probably 7th round YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

  • I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

    @daninnyc said:

    I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

    We are not getting any pressure on opposing QB's. If we have better coverage we get more coverage sacks. But if we get a great LB maybe we get more pressure and the CB doesn't need to be a first rounder. Either way we win, I hope.

  • Mr. Moore from aTm would make this front four filthy!!!!!

  • I'd like to see us pick up a playmaking linebacker that actually makes opposing offenses pay attention to him on every play.

  • If the Browns draft pretty high -

    I'd love a trade down for extra picks, if it

    wasn't too far a drop, for the Browns to

    get the player they wanted, plus an extra first rounder.

    An OG in the first round would be so stupid...

    that won't happen.

    But, if Jarvis Jones ? is the guy, and very well may be...

    I don't see a trade down.

  • Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

  • I think our biggest need is a DE who can get pressure, that makes the CBs better by default. We do need another CB as well. If we get a new GM maybe we try to pick up a decent CB in FA if any available. I don't see us trading down unless we have one of the top 3 picks, else stay pat, get the top DE in the draft and take a corner with the 3rd round pick.

  • Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

    Being a BG student, I could get behind that!

  • I'd like to see a DE with the first pick and pick up a CB in free agency. That would give us a chance to have one of the best defenses in the league if it happened. Then add a guy like De'Anthony Thomas or Tavon Austin whom you can move around in the slot or lined up in the backfield like a Percy Harvin type role with the next pick. We get some ballers at them three positions and were contenders next year.

  • have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

  • have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

    @miktoxic said:

    have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

    Agree, we need play maker lbs bad..

  • At this point based on where we would draft, there's no way we could wrong with Te'o or Jarvis Jones. KC and the Jags will likely go QB, and panthers just went LB in the last draft and desperately need a safety/CB.