Skip to content

2013 Nfl Draft Discussion

The Browns Board
50 24 2.5k
  • Mr. Moore from aTm would make this front four filthy!!!!!

  • I'd like to see us pick up a playmaking linebacker that actually makes opposing offenses pay attention to him on every play.

  • If the Browns draft pretty high -

    I'd love a trade down for extra picks, if it

    wasn't too far a drop, for the Browns to

    get the player they wanted, plus an extra first rounder.

    An OG in the first round would be so stupid...

    that won't happen.

    But, if Jarvis Jones ? is the guy, and very well may be...

    I don't see a trade down.

  • Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

  • I think our biggest need is a DE who can get pressure, that makes the CBs better by default. We do need another CB as well. If we get a new GM maybe we try to pick up a decent CB in FA if any available. I don't see us trading down unless we have one of the top 3 picks, else stay pat, get the top DE in the draft and take a corner with the 3rd round pick.

  • Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

    Being a BG student, I could get behind that!

  • I'd like to see a DE with the first pick and pick up a CB in free agency. That would give us a chance to have one of the best defenses in the league if it happened. Then add a guy like De'Anthony Thomas or Tavon Austin whom you can move around in the slot or lined up in the backfield like a Percy Harvin type role with the next pick. We get some ballers at them three positions and were contenders next year.

  • have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

  • have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

    @miktoxic said:

    have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

    sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

    BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

    Agree, we need play maker lbs bad..

  • At this point based on where we would draft, there's no way we could wrong with Te'o or Jarvis Jones. KC and the Jags will likely go QB, and panthers just went LB in the last draft and desperately need a safety/CB.

  • At this point based on where we would draft, there's no way we could wrong with Te'o or Jarvis Jones. KC and the Jags will likely go QB, and panthers just went LB in the last draft and desperately need a safety/CB.

    @jrb12711 said:

    At this point based on where we would draft, there's no way we could wrong with Te'o or Jarvis Jones. KC and the Jags will likely go QB, and panthers just went LB in the last draft and desperately need a safety/CB.

    You think the Jags will too?

    I mean Blaine Gabbert hasn't set the world on fire, but his stats indicate he's been pretty decent this year. 9:5 TD:INT ratio. his completion percentage is up about 8% and his passer rating is at about 78, the his Total QB Rating is like 20.

    He's younger than Luck, Tannehill, and obviously Weeden.

    He's only a month older than Russel Wilson, a few months older than Robert Griffen.

    He is at the rookie age. I would be surprised if they gave up on him. That team needs a lot of help, and this is coming from a Browns fan. His top receivers are Cecil Shorts III (a kid from Mount Union taken in the 4th round 2-3 years ago I believe), Laurent Robinson (Has really only had one good year, last year), and Justin Blackmon (Who has had a tough time adjusting to the NFL it seems), and then there is Marcedes Lewis who had one good year. Now he does have MoJo, but his lack of receivers isn't helping him.

    Not saying they won't go QB, but this QB class kind of sucks. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Collin Klein? IDK man.

  • I agree with most the posts here, but we do not need to draft a WR this year. Esentially, we already did (Gordon). The debate between drafting DE and CB is an interesting one, but trully they are equally essential to limiting the opponent's passing game. OLB or CB are the big picks. We might have the option to draft J.Jones or D.Milner. Either would be great.

  • We have a lot of parts on offense, so other than maybe a 3rd/4th round O-lineman, I would hit hard on D....pass rushers be it DE or OLB and defensive backs with virtually all the other picks

    Jarvis Jones or Dee Milner would be a good start.

  • Honestly lets hope Weeden continues to improve.

    The last two games have been terrible. He needs to finish strong to show he is the guy.. Or maybe we take another QB high. Which wouldnt be ideal but having the franchise guy is the key to winning.

    If the new GM comes in and thinks he is not the guy or there is someone better, it could happen.

    My concern on Weeden is his body language at times. Two things that stand out also is his two minute drives in close cames. When down to the Eagles and Ravens he air mailed the ball.

  • Jarvis Jones or Manti T,

    Best available DE

    CB or a good coverage FS/SS Ward is a good run stopper and hitter, but man his coverage sometimes makes me scratch my ass. 😛

  • I doubt Jacksonville gives up on Gabbert when the QB crop this year doesn't include a blue chip player. They need all kinds of help on their defense.

    I think that the Browns stay away from WR (since they have invested a lot high picks) and let Little, Gordon, and Benjamin develop. They do need another pass rusher and I would like it to be Jones, just so he could play as a LB most of the time and as a down lineman on obvious passing downs. Having a versatile guy that the coaching staff can move around would help this defense out tremendously. Cornerback is another position that needs to be addressed; Skrine is terrible on the outside and decent as a nickelback, he should never be put outside.

    I'd like to see

    Round 1: OLB/DE

    Round 3: CB

    Round 4: OLB/DE (whichever was not used prior)

  • Endymion said:

    Wow, I'm totally shocked...you guys made it to the mid-point of the season before starting this thread!?!?

    There is always a draft thread on here. A couple of weeks ago there was one. Trust me, the NFL teams see the draft as a year round endeavor and so do the fans. Plus, it is this time of year that we can see the college players performing.

    Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

    When you watch your team play you see where the weaknesses are...or where the older players are that you expect to be phased out. Though he may play every game we sure do see where Sheldon Brown is getting older and that he will need to be replaced by a new dynamic CB that the team most likely will get in the draft. I mean, if Steeler fans are not seeing and thinking about the fact that some of your dinosaurs are getting creeky, you aren't paying attention to your team.

    Nothing wrong with that.

    @the-gipper said:

    Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

    .

    Draft?!?! Draft?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Draft?!?! I'm more concerned about play-offs. As a matter fact I won't even begin thinking about the "draft" until I'm a few weeks out from the Super Bowl and going through football withdrawl. The draft has no bearing on this season and frankly isn't very interesting. Every teams fans drafted the best players ever to play the game, who are all destined for the hall fame before they even take one snap with their new team.

    Besides, what do Steelers fans really have to look forward to in the draft? We are always drafting late in the first round and rarely get the buzz of picking a top 5 college talent. Polamalu was the last time we moved up to get a player in the first round. Show me what prognosticator had predicted the Steelers would take "DeCastro" last year. Unless you follow and analyze college football (which I don't) most football fans are like why did they draft so-and-so? I let paid professionals worry about who to draft for the most part.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

    .

    Draft?!?! Draft?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Draft?!?! I'm more concerned about play-offs. As a matter fact I won't even begin thinking about the "draft" until I'm a few weeks out from the Super Bowl and going through football withdrawl. The draft has no bearing on this season and frankly isn't very interesting. Every teams fans drafted the best players ever to play the game, who are all destined for the hall fame before they even take one snap with their new team.

    Besides, what do Steelers fans really have to look forward to in the draft? We are always drafting late in the first round and rarely get the buzz of picking a top 5 college talent. Polamalu was the last time we moved up to get a player in the first round. Show me what prognosticator had predicted the Steelers would take "DeCastro" last year. Unless you follow and analyze college football (which I don't) most football fans are like why did they draft so-and-so? I let paid professionals worry about who to draft for the most part.

    Endymion said:

    Draft?!?! Draft?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Draft?!?! I'm more concerned about play-offs. As a matter fact I won't even begin thinking about the "draft" until I'm a few weeks out from the Super Bowl and going through football withdrawl. The draft has no bearing on this season and frankly isn't very interesting. Every teams fans drafted the best players ever to play the game, who are all destined for the hall fame before they even take one snap with their new team.

    Besides, what do Steelers fans really have to look forward to in the draft? We are always drafting late in the first round and rarely get the buzz of picking a top 5 college talent. Polamalu was the last time we moved up to get a player in the first round. Show me what prognosticator had predicted the Steelers would take "DeCastro" last year. Unless you follow and analyze college football (which I don't) most football fans are like why did they draft so-and-so? I let paid professionals worry about who to draft for the most part.

    Well, I think there is a key right there....you don't follow college football. For those of us who do we can and do look at college players to see if a good player could perhaps fit in with our pro team. I don't always drink beer, but when I do I choose Dos Equis. I don't always just watch college football to figure out who will be good in the pros, but when I do, I do keep in mind how a player may do.

    That is one of the reasons I say...good for the Browns for taking Weeden because I see no college QB that will come out that I think can be as good as him.

    Also, when your team is 2-7, yes, you do think of the future.

    Maybe the Steelers not paying attention to the college game is one reason they are getting old.

    They have 8 games left. Four of those are against the Browns and Ravens and another against the Bengals. Those will not be easy games, at all.

    As far as I can see, the one thing the Steelers have going for them in their playoff run is the fact that the rest of the AFC is really not that good. They could make the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

  • I doubt Jacksonville gives up on Gabbert when the QB crop this year doesn't include a blue chip player. They need all kinds of help on their defense.

    I think that the Browns stay away from WR (since they have invested a lot high picks) and let Little, Gordon, and Benjamin develop. They do need another pass rusher and I would like it to be Jones, just so he could play as a LB most of the time and as a down lineman on obvious passing downs. Having a versatile guy that the coaching staff can move around would help this defense out tremendously. Cornerback is another position that needs to be addressed; Skrine is terrible on the outside and decent as a nickelback, he should never be put outside.

    I'd like to see

    Round 1: OLB/DE

    Round 3: CB

    Round 4: OLB/DE (whichever was not used prior)

    @mdmusch said:

    I doubt Jacksonville gives up on Gabbert when the QB crop this year doesn't include a blue chip player. They need all kinds of help on their defense.

    yep. defense and OL. gabbert was running for his life (sorta like mccoy) on every play his rookie year. they CAN"T afford not to stick with him with all the holes they need to fill (my argument against the weeden pick this year).

    speaking of OL (ghoolie and rich) how's philly's OL looking? so much for anyone can play OL, huh? and the only starter who was left just went out for the year? (if i was michael vick i'd be asking to please put the rookie in). who ever is still around or their new GM will be wheeling and dealing to get some OL next year.

  • @daninnyc said:

    I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

    We are not getting any pressure on opposing QB's. If we have better coverage we get more coverage sacks. But if we get a great LB maybe we get more pressure and the CB doesn't need to be a first rounder. Either way we win, I hope.

    @browns57 said:

    We are not getting any pressure on opposing QB's. If we have better coverage we get more coverage sacks. But if we get a great LB maybe we get more pressure and the CB doesn't need to be a first rounder. Either way we win, I hope.

    Yeah we have faced some pretty tough teams and have yet to have both of our starting tackles play a game together (and have been missing both of our starting outside linebackers all year) which would have helped. On the bright side, the rookies are getting a lot of valuable experience in the trenches. A lot of what we do depends on who is making the decisions come draft day. If I remember correctly, it is Heckert's philosophy that secondary players like corners are of high value early and tend to be surer things as picks. I would rank the Browns top 5 draft needs in order of importance as CB, DE, FS, LB, and OG. I am encouraged by JMJ's skills and think he can play in the NFL plus we will get Gocong back for next year.