Skip to content

Losses

The Browns Board
17 10 883
  • Im not a Browns fan so I can only say something off my own experience with my team. I think a lot of it is luck. You hear analyst say how "good teams find ways to win, bad teams don't" it's true. There's been many times where a team is up in a game and somehow blows it. I honestly think it comes down to luck and discipline. Usually when you lose a close game that means your team fought hard, but when your losing that many close games, your teams cursed just like the browns and skins have been for so long. Hopefully out luck is changing, the old Redskins would have let last nights Game slip away but we didn't. I can only hope it's a sign of change.

  • Im not a Browns fan so I can only say something off my own experience with my team. I think a lot of it is luck. You hear analyst say how "good teams find ways to win, bad teams don't" it's true. There's been many times where a team is up in a game and somehow blows it. I honestly think it comes down to luck and discipline. Usually when you lose a close game that means your team fought hard, but when your losing that many close games, your teams cursed just like the browns and skins have been for so long. Hopefully out luck is changing, the old Redskins would have let last nights Game slip away but we didn't. I can only hope it's a sign of change.

    @skinsfan28 said:

    Im not a Browns fan so I can only say something off my own experience with my team. I think a lot of it is luck. You hear analyst say how "good teams find ways to win, bad teams don't" it's true. There's been many times where a team is up in a game and somehow blows it. I honestly think it comes down to lck and discipline. Usually when you lose a close game that means your team fought hard, but when your losing that many close games, your teams cursed just like the browns and skins have been for so long. Hopefully out luck is changing, the old Redskins would have let last nights Game slip away but we didn't. I can only hope it's a sign of change.

    I have to disagree. Where I live 2/3 of the city are Redskins fans, so I see them quite a bit. Trust me this is not luck. 18 games dude, 18!

  • I think with the 2012 Browns, it's clearly coaching. UnShurmer has failed to learn from the same mistakes he made in his rookie season (opener vs. Cincy, @Arizona, @Ratbirds).

    Simply, his clock management has not improved, which may stem from communication issues with his staff. We could all argue about play calling, injuries, etc., but so could the other 31 teams.

    Luck- yes, we have had plenty of bad luck. Fort dropping a crucial INT vs. Philly, Ed Hochuli jobbing the Browns in Dallas last week, Josh Gordon blinded by the stupid shadow/sun thing @Indy. Joe Haden being a jackass didn't help either.

    Drafting has been lousy, and we've all covered it endlessly. We have got to get some LBs in here....I'm afraid heath Miller is going to break some kind of reception record on Sunday here (hope I'm wrong). We drafted Clay Matthews in '78, picked up Mike Johnson from the USFL in '86-our LBs have been average at best since around 1989 (maybe 1994 was an exception). Hey, we play in the AFC North...stop the run.

    Our roster is looking better than it has in years. Attack the opponent Mr. UnShurmer, for once, and you may find you have a decent team.

  • I think with the 2012 Browns, it's clearly coaching. UnShurmer has failed to learn from the same mistakes he made in his rookie season (opener vs. Cincy, @Arizona, @Ratbirds).

    Simply, his clock management has not improved, which may stem from communication issues with his staff. We could all argue about play calling, injuries, etc., but so could the other 31 teams.

    Luck- yes, we have had plenty of bad luck. Fort dropping a crucial INT vs. Philly, Ed Hochuli jobbing the Browns in Dallas last week, Josh Gordon blinded by the stupid shadow/sun thing @Indy. Joe Haden being a jackass didn't help either.

    Drafting has been lousy, and we've all covered it endlessly. We have got to get some LBs in here....I'm afraid heath Miller is going to break some kind of reception record on Sunday here (hope I'm wrong). We drafted Clay Matthews in '78, picked up Mike Johnson from the USFL in '86-our LBs have been average at best since around 1989 (maybe 1994 was an exception). Hey, we play in the AFC North...stop the run.

    Our roster is looking better than it has in years. Attack the opponent Mr. UnShurmer, for once, and you may find you have a decent team.

    @bob806 said:

    I think with the 2012 Browns, it's clearly coaching. UnShurmer has failed to learn from the same mistakes he made in his rookie season (opener vs. Cincy, @Arizona, @Ratbirds).

    Simply, his clock management has not improved, which may stem from communication issues with his staff. We could all argue about play calling, injuries, etc., but so could the other 31 teams.

    Luck- yes, we have had plenty of bad luck. Fort dropping a crucial INT vs. Philly, Ed Hochuli jobbing the Browns in Dallas last week, Josh Gordon blinded by the stupid shadow/sun thing @Indy. Joe Haden being a jackass didn't help either.

    Drafting has been lousy, and we've all covered it endlessly. We have got to get some LBs in here....I'm afraid heath Miller is going to break some kind of reception record on Sunday here (hope I'm wrong). We drafted Clay Matthews in '78, picked up Mike Johnson from the USFL in '86-our LBs have been average at best since around 1989 (maybe 1994 was an exception). Hey, we play in the AFC North...stop the run.

    Our roster is looking better than it has in years. Attack the opponent Mr. UnShurmer, for once, and you may find you have a decent team.

    Good post Bob. I think many of the games also we haven't gotten enough pressure on the QB with the combo of playing dime every time we are down doesn't help either. Sure it is coaching this year, but that 18 games is astounding. Just crazy. Just think if we won half of those games, we are a playoff team. This is a damn good 2-8 team.

    We will win this weekend. I guarantee it, and I don't do that often.

  • We are 3-5 players away from the playoffs. 2 LB, 1 corner, 1 veteran WR and a pass rushing DE . Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o would be awesome.

  • I think with the 2012 Browns, it's clearly coaching. UnShurmer has failed to learn from the same mistakes he made in his rookie season (opener vs. Cincy, @Arizona, @Ratbirds).

    Simply, his clock management has not improved, which may stem from communication issues with his staff. We could all argue about play calling, injuries, etc., but so could the other 31 teams.

    Luck- yes, we have had plenty of bad luck. Fort dropping a crucial INT vs. Philly, Ed Hochuli jobbing the Browns in Dallas last week, Josh Gordon blinded by the stupid shadow/sun thing @Indy. Joe Haden being a jackass didn't help either.

    Drafting has been lousy, and we've all covered it endlessly. We have got to get some LBs in here....I'm afraid heath Miller is going to break some kind of reception record on Sunday here (hope I'm wrong). We drafted Clay Matthews in '78, picked up Mike Johnson from the USFL in '86-our LBs have been average at best since around 1989 (maybe 1994 was an exception). Hey, we play in the AFC North...stop the run.

    Our roster is looking better than it has in years. Attack the opponent Mr. UnShurmer, for once, and you may find you have a decent team.

    @bob806 said:

    I think with the 2012 Browns, it's clearly coaching. UnShurmer has failed to learn from the same mistakes he made in his rookie season (opener vs. Cincy, @Arizona, @Ratbirds).

    Attack the opponent Mr. UnShurmer, for once, and you may find you have a decent team.

    BINGO! But do you REALLY want him to actually TRUST his players?

    Mike

  • We are 3-5 players away from the playoffs. 2 LB, 1 corner, 1 veteran WR and a pass rushing DE . Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o would be awesome.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    We are 3-5 players away from the playoffs. 2 LB, 1 corner, 1 veteran WR and a pass rushing DE . Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o would be awesome.

    I hope so, it does look like we're close. Funny we can even write that, because most outsiders figure 2-8 means total crap. I like Te'o, just wonder if he's fast enough, and if he'll be there when we pick. I think we agree it has to be a defensive pick.

    The pundits will have us predicted in the cellar in '13, rightly so until we prove that we can win. A huge step would be to protect our own stadium, especially within the division.

  • Assuming a new HC & staff, I want Te'o, but we'll be high in the draft & there are also Jones & Mingo out there. My next priority would be a vet WR either by free agency (rent a player) or trade. I honestly feel that while I agree with drafting a CB, we HAVE talent there. It just needs to be coached up. Look at the way Skrine plays when he is on the field with Haden (on field coach).

    We'll see what happens but this Team, as it stands now, is FAR better than it's W-L record.

    Mike

  • Assuming a new HC & staff, I want Te'o, but we'll be high in the draft & there are also Jones & Mingo out there. My next priority would be a vet WR either by free agency (rent a player) or trade. I honestly feel that while I agree with drafting a CB, we HAVE talent there. It just needs to be coached up. Look at the way Skrine plays when he is on the field with Haden (on field coach).

    We'll see what happens but this Team, as it stands now, is FAR better than it's W-L record.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I honestly feel that while I agree with drafting a CB, we HAVE talent there. It just needs to be coached up. Look at the way Skrine plays when he is on the field with Haden (on field coach).

    Actually a very good point.

  • Assuming a new HC & staff, I want Te'o, but we'll be high in the draft & there are also Jones & Mingo out there. My next priority would be a vet WR either by free agency (rent a player) or trade. I honestly feel that while I agree with drafting a CB, we HAVE talent there. It just needs to be coached up. Look at the way Skrine plays when he is on the field with Haden (on field coach).

    We'll see what happens but this Team, as it stands now, is FAR better than it's W-L record.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    while I agree with drafting a CB, we HAVE talent there. It just needs to be coached up. Look at the way Skrine plays when he is on the field with Haden (on field coach).

    We'll see what happens but this Team, as it stands now, is FAR better than it's W-L record.

    Mike

    Skrine looks good out there when Haden is out there because he's not the guy on the island.

    Skrine has safety help in the nickel and is suited to play nickel due to his quickness making him better with the short crossing routes and out routes, his size is also a major knock and he shouldn't be on the outside ever again.

  • Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    It points to having consistent awful defenses. Period.

    This year's version has progressed from awful to dreadful.

  • Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    To me it;s the head coach. When the team competes, outplayes, and should win games...........AND THEY LOSE................. that's the coahes fault

  • I think they are 7 players away from the playoffs

    1 cornerback, 1 free safety, 2 outside linebackers, 2 guards, 1 receiver

    and maybe 1 quarterback (not sure about that yet)

  • I think they are 7 players away from the playoffs

    1 cornerback, 1 free safety, 2 outside linebackers, 2 guards, 1 receiver

    and maybe 1 quarterback (not sure about that yet)

    @snugglybottoms said:

    I think they are 7 players away from the playoffs

    1 cornerback, 1 free safety, 2 outside linebackers, 2 guards, 1 receiver

    and maybe 1 quarterback (not sure about that yet)

    I'd say 3 players and 1 headcoach

    and with the RIGHT headcoach, we could make the playoffs next year

    we could add every pro bowler in 2012 and with Shurmer we would go 8-8

  • I think they are 7 players away from the playoffs

    1 cornerback, 1 free safety, 2 outside linebackers, 2 guards, 1 receiver

    and maybe 1 quarterback (not sure about that yet)

    @snugglybottoms said:

    I think they are 7 players away from the playoffs

    1 cornerback, 1 free safety, 2 outside linebackers, 2 guards, 1 receiver

    and maybe 1 quarterback (not sure about that yet)

    CB, FS, 1 LB - our O line is playing terrific and all our receivers need is better coaching. 3 key guys and a head coach and were playoff bound. Maybe just a great head coach would do it, but that's a stretch

  • Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Since 2010, Cleveland has lost an NFL-leading 18 games by seven or fewer points, including five this season.

    We can obviously point the finger at what ever coach was at the helm at the time, but there has to be something more here. 18 fucking games by 7 or fewer points.

    Does this point to not having a #1 receiver? Playing too soft in the 4th quarter?

    Thoughts?

    I am curious how all the other teams fit in that capacity.

    Is there a site you can give that shows this stat? (most losses by 7 pts. or less)

    Also...which teams have WON the most games by 7 pts or less. That might be interesting to see, and telling.

    I too think it is 50% coaching.