Nfl Considering Eliminating Kick-Offs
-
If they lower ticket prices or hand out 2 free beer tickets at the gates I am all for it.
-
Lets just quit the fucking game already. Eliminate kick-offs? Hell no. Bring back the old rule. Pretty soon it will be touch football.
-
If this rule was put into place it would give offensively powered teams an even bigger advantage. Bad teams would end up getting the score ran up on them even more than they already do.
-
Geez, all this is being done supposedly in the interest of player safety ( I say bullshit).
The biggest problem I have with the NFL is basically everything they do in the name of safety. You can't legislate safety into a contact sport. There are too many lawyers looking for deep pockets in this country. We have to take the idiot switches off of every tool or game we play in life and let Darwinism sort out the gene pool. None of us are living forever and players don't have to play football.
In terms of football, fans want to see their "millionaires" kick the crap out of someone else's "millionaire's. The crap kicking is really more important than the winning part, cause at the end of the day, the players are still millionaires, the fan likely is not. Crap kicking is, as they say, priceless.
In terms of the idea the NFL is considering, I like it better than their current kick-off rule. I hate touchbacks. The kick-off position should be adjusted to virtually eliminate touchbacks, not increase them. I like how Goodell stands up to the players association, yet I hate the way administers "safety."
Endymion said:
The biggest problem I have with the NFL is basically everything they do in the name of safety. You can't legislate safety into a contact sport. There are too many lawyers looking for deep pockets in this country. We have to take the idiot switches off of every tool or game we play in life and let Darwinism sort out the gene pool. None of us are living forever and players don't have to play football.
In terms of football, fans want to see their "millionaires" kick the crap out of someone else's "millionaire's. The crap kicking is really more important than the winning part, cause at the end of the day, the players are still millionaires, the fan likely is not. Crap kicking is, as they say, priceless.
In terms of the idea the NFL is considering, I like it better than their current kick-off rule. I hate touchbacks. The kick-off position should be adjusted to virtually eliminate touchbacks, not increase them. I like how Goodell stands up to the players association, yet I hate the way administers "safety."
You can legislate safety. The flying wedge was a bone breaker before it was legislated against. Facemasks.....we can point to a lot of things.
I like the idea of going for it 4th and 15.....onside kicks are another bone breaker....eliminate those.
Just start on the 20- 25 and be done with it.
-
they need to get players making proper tackles, wrapping up and tackling fundamentally, not these ridiculous big hits, i personally don't like seeing guys get their brains turned to mush. two players running as fast as they can head on into each other isn't entertaining and getting rid of that doesn't hurt the game.
you want to take things to the extreme, then you all should be pissed off about wearing helmets and pads, and no wedge formations etc. etc.
this won't ruin the game, quitcher bitchin
-
It will never happen
-
I can't see this happening, but who knows. Football is a contact sport, these guys get paid millions. I would get a concussion once a week for the amount they make..
also how would this be done? Would it be an un timed play if the team goes for it? Because what about the scenerio where the team goes up with lets say 4-6 second left. Instead of kicking off couldnt they just opt to go for it and run around and run out the clock? It would have to be an untimed play.
-
I can't see this happening, but who knows. Football is a contact sport, these guys get paid millions. I would get a concussion once a week for the amount they make..
also how would this be done? Would it be an un timed play if the team goes for it? Because what about the scenerio where the team goes up with lets say 4-6 second left. Instead of kicking off couldnt they just opt to go for it and run around and run out the clock? It would have to be an untimed play.
I can't see this happening, but who knows. Football is a contact sport, these guys get paid millions. I would get a concussion once a week for the amount they make..
also how would this be done? Would it be an un timed play if the team goes for it? Because what about the scenerio where the team goes up with lets say 4-6 second left. Instead of kicking off couldnt they just opt to go for it and run around and run out the clock? It would have to be an untimed play.
That's a good point, I'd guess they would treat it as a kick off where the clock doesn't begin until the ball is either received from a pass or a punt.
If the clock were to begin on the snap running out the clock would be pretty risky seeing how it's 4th down on your own 30 and your average punter is getting what? 4-5 seconds of hang time on punts anyways.
So a bad snap,blown assignment,sack would be giving the opponent the ball damn near in your red zone.
-
Move the damn ball back where it was at. This is pure bullshit. Remember when kick offs were fun?
-
Endymion said:
The biggest problem I have with the NFL is basically everything they do in the name of safety. You can't legislate safety into a contact sport. There are too many lawyers looking for deep pockets in this country. We have to take the idiot switches off of every tool or game we play in life and let Darwinism sort out the gene pool. None of us are living forever and players don't have to play football.
In terms of football, fans want to see their "millionaires" kick the crap out of someone else's "millionaire's. The crap kicking is really more important than the winning part, cause at the end of the day, the players are still millionaires, the fan likely is not. Crap kicking is, as they say, priceless.
In terms of the idea the NFL is considering, I like it better than their current kick-off rule. I hate touchbacks. The kick-off position should be adjusted to virtually eliminate touchbacks, not increase them. I like how Goodell stands up to the players association, yet I hate the way administers "safety."
You can legislate safety. The flying wedge was a bone breaker before it was legislated against. Facemasks.....we can point to a lot of things.
I like the idea of going for it 4th and 15.....onside kicks are another bone breaker....eliminate those.
Just start on the 20- 25 and be done with it.
You can legislate safety. The flying wedge was a bone breaker before it was legislated against. Facemasks.....we can point to a lot of things.
If you ever read OSHA regulations, safety is achieved the following ways in decreasing order of effectiveness.
1) Design of Process
2) Engineering Controls
3) Personnel Management
When you think about Roger Goodell's latest proposal involving kick-offs it involves a change in process. Therefore it has a chance of being more effective than most of his efforts, the question is does it change the nature of the game too much as to make it unwatchable? (His last process recommendation for kick-offs did in my opinion).
Football is a contact sport, that's the process that was designed. In terms of safety switching to flag football would provide the most safety for players. I'm not interested in that type of competetion, and I doubt many football fans are or Goodell would've made the switch to flag football already. Some people will be interested in flag football...however, I would wager the drop in salaries would not be attractive to the players. Helmets/Facemasks are engineering controls, not legislation. The flying wedge in my mind seems more like a process issue than personnel management.
Football is still designed around hitting people and bringing them down to the ground. It's easy to sit in a control room and say he should've/could've/would've been able to adjust his attack angle to prevent this injury/potential injury. You can't do that unless you remove the element of hitting from the game. Trying to fine people for hits that unfold during the course of trying to make a play in a game, i.e. to get them to "hit properly" as deemed by someone who probably never played the game is a joke. That is a form of personnel management control and its the type of safety control Goodell embraces.
The question is are kick-offs part of the game? As they are set-up now with nearly 50% touchbacks, I'd say no. TV stations might as well stay on commercial break. The NFL is trying to reduce speed from the momentum equation, why not remove mass? Do you have to have players over a certain weight limit out on kick-offs/returns? If a kick-off results in a near automatic touchback, why not just start the change of possession off at the 20 yard line and limit the long boring commercial breaks that sandwich a kick-off?
-
Mike Ditka's solution: remove the helmets, then no one will go for the head with their head.
Better solution: actually design the helmets better.
-
Mike Ditka's solution: remove the helmets, then no one will go for the head with their head.
Better solution: actually design the helmets better.
Mike Ditka's solution: remove the helmets, then no one will go for the head with their head.
Better solution: actually design the helmets better.
You really can't make anything that's going to ease the blows to the head or neck much better than what they make now. There's a lot of energy going into a small area. What's inside the helmet is still going to get knocked around.
-
Mike Ditka's solution: remove the helmets, then no one will go for the head with their head.
Better solution: actually design the helmets better.
Mike Ditka's solution: remove the helmets, then no one will go for the head with their head.
Better solution: actually design the helmets better.
I have said that for years.
Now maybe you don't go to no helmets but maybe you don't beef them up as much as they are today. Body armor tends to embolden players.
Make them be a little more cautious.
-
Force field helmets. Ok I came up with it, 80% profits to me. 20% to whoever builds it.
-
I think the NFL should have a new rule in the interest of safety. They should require ALL players to always run backwards on every play. That way,
they wouldn't be able to build up a lot of speed. Hey, less violent impacts ! It worked on those old metal tables, with
the vibrations making the players move around. Sometimes they would go backwards. And they never got injured....@@
And, they have to run in those foam sumo wrestler outfits.
I love the game the way it freakin is.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login