Skip to content

Prog

Barber Shop Talk
9 6 821
  • I have been digging into my Progressive rock catelog lately and really have been rekindling the magic i once was a crazed fan for...

    Yesterday i listend to "wishbone ash-argus"...anyone?

    also enjoyed "genesis-selling england by the pound"

    anyone else a progger?..share some of your fav albums?

  • I have been digging into my Progressive rock catelog lately and really have been rekindling the magic i once was a crazed fan for...

    Yesterday i listend to "wishbone ash-argus"...anyone?

    also enjoyed "genesis-selling england by the pound"

    anyone else a progger?..share some of your fav albums?

    @destinfunk said:

    I have been digging into my Progressive rock catelog lately and really have been rekindling the magic i once was a crazed fan for...

    Yesterday i listend to "wishbone ash-argus"...anyone?

    also enjoyed "genesis-selling england by the pound"

    anyone else a progger?..share some of your fav albums?

    I never was much of a prog fan. There is some stuff I like. I went through a Yes faze back in the late 80's, but I never really listened to much else along those lines unless you consider Rush to be prog. I've loved Rush since I first heard 2112 in 1976 and I still follow them today. Their most recent cd Snakes & Arrows was excellent. I loved pretty much all of Pink Floyds catalog including the early proggy stuff.

    I tried to get into the early Genesis stuff, but it just didn't click with me. I liked some of the Moody Blues I've heard, but not all. ELP was a difficult listen for me. Other than that my prog experience is pretty slim.

    Doug

  • Yeah man it is easy to understand people not digging it or wanting to get into the "themes" and geeky topics most prog bands lean on... I really could care less about that end...i am more into the odd time signatures and unique chord changes...and of course cool solos are still fun for me 🙂

    you dont hear too many guitar solos on the radio these days...sad!

    and of course rush is prog...just a little more digestable as a whole.

  • I'm a modern prog fan.

    Everything from Dream Theater to Porcupine Tree to Pain of Salvation to Ayreon.

    The old prog stuff that gets me goin is mostly Pink Floyd. I'm not much into Rush or Genesis or Yes...

    If you're a fan of the older prog stuff though, you'd do yourself a favor by giving Porcupine Tree a try.

  • Yes i am a fan of all eras of Prog...Floyd leans a little more psych rock than prog to me..but regardless..one of the coolest bands ever

    and yes porcupine tree..i know them well...but honestly i havent listened to anything since the 90s...Signify was the last album i bought.

    i first got into Steve Wilson when he cowrote and produced the majority of the Fish album "sunsets on empire" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunsets_on_Empire

    What incredible soundscapeshe came up with...i was in awe and sought out his band..i need to get back into PT..any good newer stuff?

    if you are a newer progmetal type have you checked out Echolyn?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_World go find a copy of this CD...and listen to it 3 times...the first 2 you will belike WTF was that..then it all makes sense

  • After Signify, Porcupine Tree started to evolve their sound by including a little distortion and going heavier at times.

    I'd say In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are must have's from the post-Signify era.

    The majority of their early era fans will tell you Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are their best from the post-Signify era though.

    Echolyn? Nope, I've heard of them but haven't listened to anything. I'll be sure to check them out when I can.

    Pain of Salvation was like that for me. The first time I listened to most of their albums (even after becoming a huge fan) I just couldn't get into it. WTF was appropriate especially for their release "BE". After a few listens though they all "clicked" for me.

  • Brand X and UK was really cool...but I never was gaga over prog rock but there are tunes that I liked...

  • Love prog!

    Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Inv put out some awesome prog/jazz type stuff - One size fits all is one of my favorites. Apostrophe

    Kansas is a band that came out around the same time Rush did and they both had / have some really great music.

    Emerson Lake and Palmer had some interesting slants towards classical music, but also very innovative live as well.

    But my all time favorite has to be Genesis before they went into the pop era. From Trick of the tail to Duke has to be the era that defined them mostly as progressive.

    To destinfunk- I remember Wishbone Ash - "The king is coming" track and King Crimson " 21st century schitzoid man" 🙂

  • @destinfunk said:

    I have been digging into my Progressive rock catelog lately and really have been rekindling the magic i once was a crazed fan for...

    Yesterday i listend to "wishbone ash-argus"...anyone?

    also enjoyed "genesis-selling england by the pound"

    anyone else a progger?..share some of your fav albums?

    I never was much of a prog fan. There is some stuff I like. I went through a Yes faze back in the late 80's, but I never really listened to much else along those lines unless you consider Rush to be prog. I've loved Rush since I first heard 2112 in 1976 and I still follow them today. Their most recent cd Snakes & Arrows was excellent. I loved pretty much all of Pink Floyds catalog including the early proggy stuff.

    I tried to get into the early Genesis stuff, but it just didn't click with me. I liked some of the Moody Blues I've heard, but not all. ELP was a difficult listen for me. Other than that my prog experience is pretty slim.

    Doug

    @furnier said:

    I never was much of a prog fan. There is some stuff I like. I went through a Yes faze back in the late 80's, but I never really listened to much else along those lines unless you consider Rush to be prog. I've loved Rush since I first heard 2112 in 1976 and I still follow them today. Their most recent cd Snakes & Arrows was excellent. I loved pretty much all of Pink Floyds catalog including the early proggy stuff.

    I tried to get into the early Genesis stuff, but it just didn't click with me. I liked some of the Moody Blues I've heard, but not all. ELP was a difficult listen for me. Other than that my prog experience is pretty slim.

    Doug

    I went to Rush's Snakes and Arrows tour and DAMN they still have it. Geddy Lee can still sing like a beast. I was very impressed.

    The funniest part was the 10-15 older people who ran down the lawn when we sparked up a joint..."Man I haven't done this shit in 20 years, but we're at a Rush concert so what the hell!" Priceless

    Older Pink Floyd, although weird as hell is also excellent music. I love the song Echoes...24 minutes of awesomeness.