Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. I'm Actually Rooting For Shurmur To Keep His Job

I'm Actually Rooting For Shurmur To Keep His Job

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
42 Posts 21 Posters 2.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 6k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I'm not a huge fan of Shurmur, but this is as competitive of a Browns team as I've seen since our return. The guy's done a lot with no offseason to work with when he came in, the second youngest roster in the NFL, and a year under dipshit Randy Lerner. The team plays for the guy, regardless of how uninspiring his postgame speeches might be.

    At the beginning of this year, I felt he was, by and far, the weakest link on the team. I'm not saying he's great, but we've been competitive in almost every game of the season. We could easily be 8-4, and yes, some of those losses fall mostly on his shoulders, but we're still improving. I don't think Shurmur has reached his ceiling yet, and I honestly think I'd rather have one more year with him at the helm instead of another year rebuilding. I'm sick and tired of fucking rebuilding.

    miktoxicM 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • VaporTrailV VaporTrail

      I'm not a huge fan of Shurmur, but this is as competitive of a Browns team as I've seen since our return. The guy's done a lot with no offseason to work with when he came in, the second youngest roster in the NFL, and a year under dipshit Randy Lerner. The team plays for the guy, regardless of how uninspiring his postgame speeches might be.

      At the beginning of this year, I felt he was, by and far, the weakest link on the team. I'm not saying he's great, but we've been competitive in almost every game of the season. We could easily be 8-4, and yes, some of those losses fall mostly on his shoulders, but we're still improving. I don't think Shurmur has reached his ceiling yet, and I honestly think I'd rather have one more year with him at the helm instead of another year rebuilding. I'm sick and tired of fucking rebuilding.

      miktoxic miktoxicM
      • 13k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @vaportrail said:

      I'm sick and tired of fucking rebuilding.

      ditto.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • BadNewsBrowns BadNewsBrownsB
        • 1k Posts
        • 97 Reputation
        BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Ahhh Browns fans..how soon we forget,give us two wins and we suddenly have amnesia.

        We're like the wife that gets her ass beat then forgives everything with an "I'm sorry baby" and some flowers.

        I gotta admit I'm on the bandwagon too.. whether Shurmur deserves to be fired or keeps the job, well he'll prove it in the next four games.

        "All Truth Passes Through Three stages. First, It Is Ridiculed, Second It Is Violently Opposed, And Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident" ~Arthur Schopenhauer
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 6k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Yeah, keeping him obviously relies on his performance at the end of the season. I think he makes a good case for staying if he wins 3 games, and stays close vs Pitt or Denver.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
            • 28k Posts
            • 6k Reputation
            DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Hell no. Dump him and get someone who conforms to our new owner and GM.

            "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • English Brown E
              • 68 Posts
              • 13 Reputation
              E English Brown wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I think it depends on whether he's learned by his earlier mistakes and has plans to take the leash off the offence next year, when our skill players will have a full season under their belts.

              Must admit some of his negative play calling, especially late in games really pisses me off, and asked the same question a couple of weeks ago i would have laughed. But if he has a longer term plan to move forward maybe he's worth another year.

              Whatever happens I trust Jimmy to either get results or get rid, so at least Pattyboy now knows he has to produce. He cant hide behind the excuse of having shit players anymore because we don't so it's time to finally see results and have a team to be proud of.

              VaporTrailV 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • E English Brown

                I think it depends on whether he's learned by his earlier mistakes and has plans to take the leash off the offence next year, when our skill players will have a full season under their belts.

                Must admit some of his negative play calling, especially late in games really pisses me off, and asked the same question a couple of weeks ago i would have laughed. But if he has a longer term plan to move forward maybe he's worth another year.

                Whatever happens I trust Jimmy to either get results or get rid, so at least Pattyboy now knows he has to produce. He cant hide behind the excuse of having shit players anymore because we don't so it's time to finally see results and have a team to be proud of.

                VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 6k Posts
                • 1k Reputation
                VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @english-brown said:

                Must admit some of his negative play calling, especially late in games really pisses me off, and asked the same question a couple of weeks ago i would have laughed. But if he has a longer term plan to move forward maybe he's worth another year.

                I agree, the answer would have been a no-brainer 3 weeks ago, but I'm just shocked at how competitive this team has been. We're close. Our offense is mostly set, with the only real questions at guard and qb. I imagine we'll draft defense, and if Heckert's record is any indication, we'll pick up at least 2, and as many as 4 starters.

                I just don't want to have anything to do with Lombardi. He's fucking terrible.

                T WRREBELW 2 Replies Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • SnugglyBottoms S
                  • 90 Posts
                  • 2 Reputation
                  S SnugglyBottoms wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  seriously?!?!?!?!?

                  talk about living in the moment, they beat the steelers without big ben, and jokeland

                  and now all of sudden pat shurmur deserves to stay?

                  the guy is a world class moron

                  he gets a lead in the first quarter and then tries to run out the clock

                  then they play that stupid bend but dont break defense

                  too pedestrian, too conservative

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  Quote Reply
                  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail

                    @english-brown said:

                    Must admit some of his negative play calling, especially late in games really pisses me off, and asked the same question a couple of weeks ago i would have laughed. But if he has a longer term plan to move forward maybe he's worth another year.

                    I agree, the answer would have been a no-brainer 3 weeks ago, but I'm just shocked at how competitive this team has been. We're close. Our offense is mostly set, with the only real questions at guard and qb. I imagine we'll draft defense, and if Heckert's record is any indication, we'll pick up at least 2, and as many as 4 starters.

                    I just don't want to have anything to do with Lombardi. He's fucking terrible.

                    The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                    • 15k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @vaportrail said:

                    I agree, the answer would have been a no-brainer 3 weeks ago, but I'm just shocked at how competitive this team has been. We're close. Our offense is mostly set, with the only real questions at guard and qb. I imagine we'll draft defense, and if Heckert's record is any indication, we'll pick up at least 2, and as many as 4 starters.

                    I just don't want to have anything to do with Lombardi. He's fucking terrible.

                    By all accounts lombardi was little more than a yes-man in Oakland and Al Davis made the picks there. It's possible Haslam and Banner are looking for just such a yes man so one or both of them can make the pics and still have somebody to take the fall if they suck.

                    I'm for Heckert, I think he's done a fine job, I just think he's doomed from the beginning due to his pre existing relationship with Banner. I'd love to be wrong about that.

                    Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • VaporTrailV VaporTrail

                      @english-brown said:

                      Must admit some of his negative play calling, especially late in games really pisses me off, and asked the same question a couple of weeks ago i would have laughed. But if he has a longer term plan to move forward maybe he's worth another year.

                      I agree, the answer would have been a no-brainer 3 weeks ago, but I'm just shocked at how competitive this team has been. We're close. Our offense is mostly set, with the only real questions at guard and qb. I imagine we'll draft defense, and if Heckert's record is any indication, we'll pick up at least 2, and as many as 4 starters.

                      I just don't want to have anything to do with Lombardi. He's fucking terrible.

                      WRREBEL WRREBELW
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 87 Reputation
                      WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @vaportrail said:

                      I agree, the answer would have been a no-brainer 3 weeks ago, but I'm just shocked at how competitive this team has been. We're close. Our offense is mostly set, with the only real questions at guard and qb. I imagine we'll draft defense, and if Heckert's record is any indication, we'll pick up at least 2, and as many as 4 starters.

                      I just don't want to have anything to do with Lombardi. He's fucking terrible.

                      The bigger problem is now that we have new ownership, they are going to want their people. I do not think shurmur is a very bright guy or a good coach anyway.

                      Listen the biggest mistake Holmgren and Heckert did was give Mangini another year with NO INTENTIONS of retaining him. Mangini won 4 straight games and they gave him another year. This set the team back at least a year in the rebuilding and maybe more. Mangini was a much better coach than shurmur but it was obvious holmgren didnt want to keep him. I can't remember how many times that season Holmgren came out and said how frustrated he was with the offense.

                      Yet when his patsy comes in shurmur you don't here a peep..

                      If Heckert leaves which he probably will. I have heard he wants power in personel over Banner which will be his exit. The next GM will want to get some one they are comfortable with.

                      Look at coaches that teams kept for the sake of continuity.. Marvin Lewis,norv turner.

                      The only coach i can say who actually looks like now the patients has paid off is the Texans and kubiak.

                      Fire Shurmur at the end of the season if you don't think he is the guy. Waivering on if he is the guy is not a good way togo into the future.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • English Brown E
                        • 68 Posts
                        • 13 Reputation
                        E English Brown wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I can understand why people think the idea of keeping him is crazy because I would have a few weeks ago.

                        I also admit that I don't get to see what the guy says after the games being over here, so don't really know if he has a plan to take us gradually forward this season or is just some dumb fuck who got lucky by having a bunch of talented rookies given to him.

                        Either way, like I said, with the new owners in charge he now knows he has to get things going or he's gone, which is a win win deal for us Browns fans.

                        Bob806B 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • E English Brown

                          I can understand why people think the idea of keeping him is crazy because I would have a few weeks ago.

                          I also admit that I don't get to see what the guy says after the games being over here, so don't really know if he has a plan to take us gradually forward this season or is just some dumb fuck who got lucky by having a bunch of talented rookies given to him.

                          Either way, like I said, with the new owners in charge he now knows he has to get things going or he's gone, which is a win win deal for us Browns fans.

                          Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 5k Posts
                          • 2k Reputation
                          Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @english-brown said:

                          Either way, like I said, with the new owners in charge he now knows he has to get things going or he's gone, which is a win win deal for us Browns fans.

                          Yep...I'm sick & tired of talking about draft picks this time of year....this team needs to learn how to win sometime, and that sometime is now.

                          Shurmer could make it tough on Haslam. I was shocked last week when he went for it twice on 4th down, and actually threw out of the end zone. Was it Shurmer learning, or was it because we were playing the Raiders?

                          Attack attack attack on both sides of the ball, that's what I want to see.

                          Karlis Missed
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                            • 15k Posts
                            • 2k Reputation
                            T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I don't think shurmur is an idiot necessarily I think he's a guy who's had a tough team to start a head coaching gig with. Like it or not the fans are out for blood in this town. Win win win or get out of town. He's learning the rooks and sophmores are learning I think he's doing an ok job and might even pan out as a decent coach in the future. I wouldn't mind him staying as long as Haslem is there to put the needles to him and pressure him to be aggressive and leave his highly conservative comfort zone. I don't think Haslem will retain him, but I wouldn't hate it.

                            Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • cambridgeho cambridgehoC Very Popular Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 139 Reputation
                              cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              If we get some big name guy and he does no better within 2 years then this shit happens again. This team is playing hard for him, I think if he delegated the calls a little more he would be in better shape. Once again we have been in pretty much every game this year. We are just very inconsistent. With the coordinators we have, there is no reason to blow things up again. At the end of the day though, there will be some big names floating around this offseason and we will probably move on AGAIN! No matter what Im still gonna make games and spend money on watching them.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • tampadawgs tampadawgsT
                                • 891 Posts
                                • 80 Reputation
                                tampadawgsT tampadawgs wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                You do relize the players are playing there ass off because

                                1. its there job

                                2. The fear of God named Haslem is looking down on them

                                Shurmer is a Moron.....

                                We have 4 wins

                                Cincy Good win

                                San Diego WE won because we know how to play in that type of weather and Rivers does not

                                Steelers game- NO BIG BEN

                                Oakland game- Its Oakland

                                Indy game- Shurmer coast us the game not Gordon dropping the ball

                                Both Balt games could have won got Shurmered

                                Cowboys game Got Shurmered

                                Giants game got Shurmered

                                Philly game got Shurmered

                                Not saying we win all those games with a Different coach, but I know with Caoching staff from San Fran, Green Bay, Balt, Pitts, NE, Tampa, Alt, NY Giants, Seattle, INdy, we win at least 3 to 4 of those games that would put us at 7-5 or 8-4 not 4-8

                                T 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • tampadawgsT tampadawgs

                                  You do relize the players are playing there ass off because

                                  1. its there job

                                  2. The fear of God named Haslem is looking down on them

                                  Shurmer is a Moron.....

                                  We have 4 wins

                                  Cincy Good win

                                  San Diego WE won because we know how to play in that type of weather and Rivers does not

                                  Steelers game- NO BIG BEN

                                  Oakland game- Its Oakland

                                  Indy game- Shurmer coast us the game not Gordon dropping the ball

                                  Both Balt games could have won got Shurmered

                                  Cowboys game Got Shurmered

                                  Giants game got Shurmered

                                  Philly game got Shurmered

                                  Not saying we win all those games with a Different coach, but I know with Caoching staff from San Fran, Green Bay, Balt, Pitts, NE, Tampa, Alt, NY Giants, Seattle, INdy, we win at least 3 to 4 of those games that would put us at 7-5 or 8-4 not 4-8

                                  The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                  • 15k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @tampadawgs said:

                                  You do relize the players are playing there ass off because

                                  1. its there job

                                  2. The fear of God named Haslem is looking down on them

                                  Shurmer is a Moron.....

                                  We have 4 wins

                                  Cincy Good win

                                  San Diego WE won because we know how to play in that type of weather and Rivers does not

                                  Steelers game- NO BIG BEN

                                  Oakland game- Its Oakland

                                  Indy game- Shurmer coast us the game not Gordon dropping the ball

                                  Both Balt games could have won got Shurmered

                                  Cowboys game Got Shurmered

                                  Giants game got Shurmered

                                  Philly game got Shurmered

                                  Not saying we win all those games with a Different coach, but I know with Caoching staff from San Fran, Green Bay, Balt, Pitts, NE, Tampa, Alt, NY Giants, Seattle, INdy, we win at least 3 to 4 of those games that would put us at 7-5 or 8-4 not 4-8

                                  Steelers beat the ravens with batch. Makes the browns win seem better

                                  Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 6k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    If it's not Shurmur, then who?

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • TypicalBrowns TypicalBrownsT
                                      • 1k Posts
                                      • 98 Reputation
                                      TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      Shurmur needs to demonstrate he can BLOW OUT A TEAM with KC tomorrow. Also he needs 7-9 to be considered an option.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Pumpkin Eater P
                                        • 4k Posts
                                        • 297 Reputation
                                        P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by Pumpkin Eater
                                        #19

                                        Pittsburgh, without gay ben, beat Baltimore. Why are you homos calling the Stoolers QB "Big" are you queer? It looks that way when you type that.

                                        :neutral_face:
                                        ComeonmanC 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • P Pumpkin Eater

                                          Pittsburgh, without gay ben, beat Baltimore. Why are you homos calling the Stoolers QB "Big" are you queer? It looks that way when you type that.

                                          Comeonman ComeonmanC Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 359 Reputation
                                          ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @pumpkin-eater said:

                                          Pittsburgh, without gay ben, beat Baltimore. Why are you homos calling the Stoolers QB "Big" are you queer? It looks that way when you type that.

                                          Agreed. I can't stand it when Browns fans call him Big Ben. That's for yellow towel mouth breathers. Consentlessberger does just fine

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate