Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 Posts 4 Posters 597 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 20k Posts
    • 5k Reputation
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Consider my bias, as I'm a hardcore Tolkien fanatic, and I rarely head for the big screen.

    I'll use LOTR as my baseline. Probably the biggest problem is- how do you top some of the greatest 9 hours of film making? In that respect, at least on the first viewing, The Hobbit comes up short.

    I had fears hearing the rumors Jackson was going to seriously deviate from the book. Not the case- with a few exceptions, that I'll get to. Complaints- I have some. I'll get the big negative out of the way first. The pace of the movie- despite some pretty epic battle scenes- seemed agonizingly slow, and made the movie feel far longer than it's actual run time. Bilbo signing on with the Dwarves seemed like forever. With 10 years gone by, I was hoping for a little better on the special effects too. I thought the battle scenes were a tad overblown, but if World of Warcraft is your thing- you'll love them. Jackson turns the Wizard Radagast into a bumbling goober- which he really wasn't in the book. Add in, us Loremasters know Thorin killed Azog way back at the Battle of Moria- and Azog is still very much alive and (sort of) well in the Hobbit. I have a damn good idea what's going to happen to him in Chapter II. I don't get Jackson's fascination of turning the Head orcs into caricatures either. Gothmog in LOTR could pass for a mutilated Porky Pig- there's several similar new vermin awaiting you in The Hobbit.

    Now to the pluses- the cinematography is great. For those who aren't Tolkien fanatics, Jackson did a terrific job filling in the back story. Did a good job of "adultifying" the Hobbit, which was written more on the level of a kid's Fairy Tale. For those who are Loremasters, there's plenty of stuff in the movie verbatim right out of the book. (Gollum & Bilbo) Did a pretty good job differentiating the 13 dwarves- and even Moi couldn't rattle off all their names without a lot of thinking- and as in LOTR Jackson dead on pegged how each of them were described in the book. Kudos for that.

    I'll have to see it a couple more times at least- but first blush it's a B, B- flick.

    T 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • hoortaH hoorta

      Consider my bias, as I'm a hardcore Tolkien fanatic, and I rarely head for the big screen.

      I'll use LOTR as my baseline. Probably the biggest problem is- how do you top some of the greatest 9 hours of film making? In that respect, at least on the first viewing, The Hobbit comes up short.

      I had fears hearing the rumors Jackson was going to seriously deviate from the book. Not the case- with a few exceptions, that I'll get to. Complaints- I have some. I'll get the big negative out of the way first. The pace of the movie- despite some pretty epic battle scenes- seemed agonizingly slow, and made the movie feel far longer than it's actual run time. Bilbo signing on with the Dwarves seemed like forever. With 10 years gone by, I was hoping for a little better on the special effects too. I thought the battle scenes were a tad overblown, but if World of Warcraft is your thing- you'll love them. Jackson turns the Wizard Radagast into a bumbling goober- which he really wasn't in the book. Add in, us Loremasters know Thorin killed Azog way back at the Battle of Moria- and Azog is still very much alive and (sort of) well in the Hobbit. I have a damn good idea what's going to happen to him in Chapter II. I don't get Jackson's fascination of turning the Head orcs into caricatures either. Gothmog in LOTR could pass for a mutilated Porky Pig- there's several similar new vermin awaiting you in The Hobbit.

      Now to the pluses- the cinematography is great. For those who aren't Tolkien fanatics, Jackson did a terrific job filling in the back story. Did a good job of "adultifying" the Hobbit, which was written more on the level of a kid's Fairy Tale. For those who are Loremasters, there's plenty of stuff in the movie verbatim right out of the book. (Gollum & Bilbo) Did a pretty good job differentiating the 13 dwarves- and even Moi couldn't rattle off all their names without a lot of thinking- and as in LOTR Jackson dead on pegged how each of them were described in the book. Kudos for that.

      I'll have to see it a couple more times at least- but first blush it's a B, B- flick.

      The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
      • 15k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @hoorta said:

      Consider my bias, as I'm a hardcore Tolkien fanatic, and I rarely head for the big screen.

      I'll use LOTR as my baseline. Probably the biggest problem is- how do you top some of the greatest 9 hours of film making? In that respect, at least on the first viewing, The Hobbit comes up short.

      I had fears hearing the rumors Jackson was going to seriously deviate from the book. Not the case- with a few exceptions, that I'll get to. Complaints- I have some. I'll get the big negative out of the way first. The pace of the movie- despite some pretty epic battle scenes- seemed agonizingly slow, and made the movie feel far longer than it's actual run time. Bilbo signing on with the Dwarves seemed like forever. With 10 years gone by, I was hoping for a little better on the special effects too. I thought the battle scenes were a tad overblown, but if World of Warcraft is your thing- you'll love them. Jackson turns the Wizard Radagast into a bumbling goober- which he really wasn't in the book. Add in, us Loremasters know Thorin killed Azog way back at the Battle of Moria- and Azog is still very much alive and (sort of) well in the Hobbit. I have a damn good idea what's going to happen to him. in Chapter II. I don't get Jackson's fascination of turning the Head orcs into caricatures either. Gothmog in LOTR could pass for a mutilated Porky Pig- there's several similar new vermin awaiting you in The Hobbit.

      Now to the pluses- the cinematography is great. For those who aren't Tolkien fanatics, Jackson did a terrific job filling in the back story. Did a good job of "adultifying" the Hobbit, which was written more on the level of a kid's Fairy Tale. For those who are Loremasters, there's plenty of stuff in the movie verbatim right out of the book. (Gollum & Bilbo) Did a pretty good job differentiating the 13 dwarves- and even Moi couldn't rattle off all their names without a lot of thinking- and as in LOTR Jackson dead on pegged how each of them were described in the book. Kudos for that.

      I'll have to see it a couple more times at least- but first blush it's a B, B- flick.

      Maybe I'm in the minority but LOTR bored the crap out of me. I read all the books (forced myself. Tolkien's old timey writing and prediliction to use a lot of songs is rough) and though the movies were true enough, I just couldn't force myself to care about frodo, samwise, gandalf and crew. I don't have extremely high hopes for the hobbit either, I just expect smaug to look cool and the goblins better sing "down down to goblin town Ho-ho" or the movie fails.

      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • FairHooker11 F Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 4k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        2.75 hr movie? I cant find a recliner theater so I will wait for the DVD.....

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Thanks Hoorta! I didn't read your take until I'd written my review but it seems we're on the same page!

          I liked it a little better than you did but gave it a pass for a lot of inconsistencies!

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate