Skip to content

Ray Lewis to Dallas?

The Browns Board
24 11 2.1k
  • S Skinny wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I remember reading somewhere (a while ago) that Baltimore will not let Lewis go even if they have to franchise him. I will see if I can find the link. He is the heart and soul of there D thought I think. Would be hard to let him walk if I am Ozzie.

  • @jewdago said:

    they'll let either scott or lewis go, but suggs, unfortunately, stays in baltimore. if he doesn't want to sign, they'll franchise him and move him to the NFC.

    Here's a crazy scenario for you: Anquan Boldin is TO'ing his way out of Arizona, and Terrell Suggs said last year that he'd like to play for the Cardinals (he grew up in Arizona & played for the Sun Devils).

    Could those teams end up swapping elite players?

    One problem would be that Baltimore probably can't afford Boldin, so a third team may be needed - one willing to give up at least one 1st Round pick.

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Aloysius said:

    Here's a crazy scenario for you: Anquan Boldin is TO'ing his way out of Arizona, and Terrell Suggs said last year that he'd like to play for the Cardinals (he grew up in Arizona & played for the Sun Devils).

    Could those teams end up swapping elite players?

    One problem would be that Baltimore probably can't afford Boldin, so a third team may be needed - one willing to give up at least one 1st Round pick.

    I'd be shocked if Harbaugh would want that headache with a second year QB that still has a ton of learning to do. The last thing I'd want Flacco to go through is listening to Anquan Boldin crying that he isn't getting his touches....As a head coach I'd shudder at the thought.

    It hurt Philly when TO was there and it sure didn't help Dallas when TO started complaining about Witten getting too many touches.....And that was with two pretty good Qb's throwing the ball. What effect would it have on Flacco?

  • F Fan Of STEEL 1 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    LOL, Ray Lewis in Dallas. Best fit I have ever heard. A loser on a loser team full of thugs.

  • Aloysius said:

    Here's a crazy scenario for you: Anquan Boldin is TO'ing his way out of Arizona, and Terrell Suggs said last year that he'd like to play for the Cardinals (he grew up in Arizona & played for the Sun Devils).

    Could those teams end up swapping elite players?

    One problem would be that Baltimore probably can't afford Boldin, so a third team may be needed - one willing to give up at least one 1st Round pick.

    I'd be shocked if Harbaugh would want that headache with a second year QB that still has a ton of learning to do. The last thing I'd want Flacco to go through is listening to Anquan Boldin crying that he isn't getting his touches....As a head coach I'd shudder at the thought.

    It hurt Philly when TO was there and it sure didn't help Dallas when TO started complaining about Witten getting too many touches.....And that was with two pretty good Qb's throwing the ball. What effect would it have on Flacco?

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #16

    oldcow1945 said:

    I'd be shocked if Harbaugh would want that headache with a second year QB that still has a ton of learning to do. The last thing I'd want Flacco to go through is listening to Anquan Boldin crying that he isn't getting his touches....As a head coach I'd shudder at the thought.

    It hurt Philly when TO was there and it sure didn't help Dallas when TO started complaining about Witten getting too many touches.....And that was with two pretty good Qb's throwing the ball. What effect would it have on Flacco?

    Agreed. In my crazy scenario, I'd have Crazy Al giving up Oakland's 1st for Boldin, which would then be swapped for Baltimore 1st & Terrell Suggs.

    Crazy Al gets the superstar receiver he covets, Baltimore gets a top 10 pick, and Arizona gets Terrell Suggs and a late 1st.

  • W We need Tom Tupa wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I'll chip in a few bucks to get Rayray down to Texas.

    And I'll send Mankok directions on where to go to pick up Dansby if AZ steals Suggs.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Ha. That Mankok nickname definitely is going to stick.

  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #19

    i won't miss him.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Amazing article in The Dallas Morning News about the lack of discipline in Dallas. Under Parcells, players were fined $5,000-$12,000 for missing meetings or treatment sessions. Under Phillips, they're fined $100. Making things worse, Jerry Jones wouldn't let Phillips impose larger fines when chronic tardiness became a problem.

    As a result, stuff like this happened:

    The team charter left late for road games five times this season because players were late to the airport according to three sources. The total represented more than half of the eight regular season away games. Sources declined to name the late players. The Philadelphia trip was delayed by more than an hour.

    The article also makes Tony Romo look really bad:

    According to five sources, several offensive players lost respect for Garrett for his failure to corral quarterback Tony Romo in practice. Romo, sources said, often forced throws in practice and often did not treat practice work consistently.

    The quarterback's practice habits were so bad, sources said, that they affected the way he played in games and could have factored into the offense's problems.

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #21

    it's the cowboy way. what they're doing now is tame compared to what they used to do.

    scroll down to where it says 'some more fascinating tidbits' if you want to skip the story about michael irvin stabbing a teammate in the neck over a barbershop chair. there's a huge list of the '90s cowboys ridiculous exploits that make being late for meetings and shoddy practice habits look like belichick is running the team.

    however, a lack of discipline is a serious problem, but i'm also not at all surprised. wade phillips is a players' coach. he had to get that rep somehow.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Ha. I was shocked when I first read that.

  • Aloysius said:

    On the other hand, Dallas signing Ray Lewis would likely result in them having to shed Greg Ellis's $4.15M in salary. Ellis is 33, but he's still an effective pass rusher (8 sacks this year). I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him in.

    signing greg ellis on the downside of his career would be fine and dandy, but he's no terrell suggs in the prime of his.

    however, i sincerely doubt the ravens let him get away. after this sunday, there's no way they let someone that talented walk, especially when they have to replace a defensive coordinator like ryan.

    they'll let either scott or lewis go, but suggs, unfortunately, stays in baltimore. if he doesn't want to sign, they'll franchise him and move him to the NFC.

    S Snatch98 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @jewdago said:

    signing greg ellis on the downside of his career would be fine and dandy, but he's no terrell suggs in the prime of his.

    however, i sincerely doubt the ravens let him get away. after this sunday, there's no way they let someone that talented walk, especially when they have to replace a defensive coordinator like ryan.

    they'll let either scott or lewis go, but suggs, unfortunately, stays in baltimore. if he doesn't want to sign, they'll franchise him and move him to the NFC.

    Ray Lewis is on the backside of his career. There have been videos posted of this very season where he's missing tackles left and right and looking very old. I'm not saying he's not still a solid MLB, he is and if anything because of his vocal leading and knowledge of the game. You also don't want Greg Ellis. If I were a Browns fan I'd be doing everything I could to get the organization to take a serious look at Julius Peppers but there are going to be A LOT of suitors in that race and I'm sure he'll get an ungodly amount of money because of it....at least in this regard he'll actually be worth the money unlike the terribly over paid Dante Stallworth.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #24

    People wrote off Greg Ellis when he popped an Achilles a few years back. But he responded by notching 20.5 sacks in the last two years.

    Sure, he's getting older, but he could be an effective situational rusher for us. Besides Bertrand Berry, there isn't much rush talent behind Suggs and Peppers available in free agency.