Skip to content

Candidates

The Browns Board
141 39 8.0k
  • @miktoxic said:

    still waiting on that link.

    Mik here is the link...point and click

    http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_coach_chip_kelly_says_h.html

    And here is the quote attributed to that article

    "I was interested to hear how (Kelly) did it," Belichick told the Boston Globe. "I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I've learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that."

    @brownb499 said:

    Mik here is the link...point and click

    http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_coach_chip_kelly_says_h.html

    And here is the quote attributed to that article

    "I was interested to hear how (Kelly) did it," Belichick told the Boston Globe. "I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I've learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that."

    to have a super bowl winning coach consult on how to run a hurry offense is befuddling to me. maybe they are friends and some reporter latched onto the story.

    to me it's a non-story. i could care less about chip kelly or oregon. they've recruited a certain type of player for his system. you really think with the NFL draft and the number of picks we have each year that we could build a team comparable to that which has the fastest (as a group) of players on one team?

    you're delusional to think that. btw who did they lose to stanford? are they hurry-up? or is their defense better?

    now if he toned it down and worked with the personnel we have already then he's basically throwing 'his' game out the window. how happy will he be then?

    i'll take a defensive minded HC that has a proven record who knows how to hand the reign over to an OC. now if we were tal;king chip kelly as an OC i'd be all for it.

  • Jim Donovan, the voice of the Browns here in Cleveland says that it will be Nick Saban.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Jim Donovan, the voice of the Browns here in Cleveland says that it will be Nick Saban.

    92.3 reported this morning that Saban has said no to all NFL teams trying to get him.

  • yeah 2 years at oregon. have they won the national championship? have they gone unbeaten? if you want a kelly whose team schemem is more comparable to the NFL now then look at brian kelly. turned 3 programs around.

    go suck chip kelly's dick you homo uniform lovers. that's all you are.

    @miktoxic said:

    yeah 2 years at oregon. have they won the national championship? have they gone unbeaten? if you want a kelly whose team schemem is more comparable to the NFL now then look at brian kelly. turned 3 programs around.

    go suck chip kelly's dick you homo uniform lovers. that's all you are.

    If I recall, the Oregon Ducks got hammered every time they ran into a decent defense: LSU squashed them in a bowl game...Ohio State did too. As did Stanford this year.

    Maybe we should go after Les Miles/Jim Tressel/or David Shaw

  • @hoorta said:

    Screw the F**ks unis. What I want to know is if Kelly's uptempo offense will work in the Pros.

    I like Kelly's comments at the end of the clip.

    @ballpeen said:

    I like Kelly's comments at the end of the clip.

    If it were Chip Kelly he would have to burn every visor that he has and never be allowed to wear one as coach of the Browns.

    Wearing a visor tells me that you are a weekend golf hacker, not a football coach.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Jim Donovan, the voice of the Browns here in Cleveland says that it will be Nick Saban.

    92.3 reported this morning that Saban has said no to all NFL teams trying to get him.

    @brownskidd said:

    92.3 reported this morning that Saban has said no to all NFL teams trying to get him.

    He has said the exact same thing every time he has made a move to another team. Don't believe it.

    If he says that he means it today, right now. Come Tuesday after his team has played its last game...things could be different.

  • @miktoxic said:

    yeah 2 years at oregon. have they won the national championship? have they gone unbeaten? if you want a kelly whose team schemem is more comparable to the NFL now then look at brian kelly. turned 3 programs around.

    go suck chip kelly's dick you homo uniform lovers. that's all you are.

    If I recall, the Oregon Ducks got hammered every time they ran into a decent defense: LSU squashed them in a bowl game...Ohio State did too. As did Stanford this year.

    Maybe we should go after Les Miles/Jim Tressel/or David Shaw

    @the-gipper said:

    If I recall, the Oregon Ducks got hammered every time they ran into a decent defense: LSU squashed them in a bowl game...Ohio State did too. As did Stanford this year.

    Maybe we should go after Les Miles/Jim Tressel/or David Shaw

    Tressel... way to conservative IMO. Especially after what we just came out of.

  • For what it's worth, the Twitter and speculation world are saying Banner is in Arizona to interview Ray Horton. However, the interview with Horton was a convenient reason to not only interview a coach to satisfy the Rooney rule, but also to interview Chip who happens to be in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

    This is what I'll say about Chip and I could be wrong but it's just my opinion. The guy has an obvious mind for offense and is obsessed with speed. I think it's very naive to assume the guy will walk into a NFL team and implement a pure college spread. I would welcome with open arms an up tempo offensive scheme similar to the ones run in New England, Denver, Atlanta to name a few. I think it goes without saying it clearly works in the NFL. Another thing about the guy is I know he'd actually use our play-makers as they should be used. Imagine Benjamin consistently stretching defenses and Richardson getting more than 1 outside run a game.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If I recall, the Oregon Ducks got hammered every time they ran into a decent defense: LSU squashed them in a bowl game...Ohio State did too. As did Stanford this year.

    Maybe we should go after Les Miles/Jim Tressel/or David Shaw

    Tressel... way to conservative IMO. Especially after what we just came out of.

    @brownskidd said:

    Tressel... way to conservative IMO. Especially after what we just came out of.

    Yea, I am not advocating for Tressel. I am only saying that he was fully capable of roping in Kelly's so called high powered offense.

    Do you not think their are DCs in the NFL that can also not do that?

  • For what it's worth, the Twitter and speculation world are saying Banner is in Arizona to interview Ray Horton. However, the interview with Horton was a convenient reason to not only interview a coach to satisfy the Rooney rule, but also to interview Chip who happens to be in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

    This is what I'll say about Chip and I could be wrong but it's just my opinion. The guy has an obvious mind for offense and is obsessed with speed. I think it's very naive to assume the guy will walk into a NFL team and implement a pure college spread. I would welcome with open arms an up tempo offensive scheme similar to the ones run in New England, Denver, Atlanta to name a few. I think it goes without saying it clearly works in the NFL. Another thing about the guy is I know he'd actually use our play-makers as they should be used. Imagine Benjamin consistently stretching defenses and Richardson getting more than 1 outside run a game.

    @jrb12711 said:

    For what it's worth, the Twitter and speculation world are saying Banner is in Arizona to interview Ray Horton. However, the interview with Horton was a convenient reason to not only interview a coach to satisfy the Rooney rule, but also to interview Chip who happens to be in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

    This is what I'll say about Chip and I could be wrong but it's just my opinion. The guy has an obvious mind for offense and is obsessed with speed. I think it's very naive to assume the guy will walk into a NFL team and implement a pure college spread. I would welcome with open arms an up tempo offensive scheme similar to the ones run in New England, Denver, Atlanta to name a few. I think it goes without saying it clearly works in the NFL. Another thing about the guy is I know he'd actually use our play-makers as they should be used. Imagine Benjamin consistently stretching defenses and Richardson getting more than 1 outside run a game.

    By the way, despite certain comments reported to the contrary on the radio and the like, I think Brandon Weeden could certainly be capable of running that type of offense. Similar to what he ran at OK St.

    BW3 wouldn't be running the options that Kelly runs a lot, but most of the rest of the offense I think he could handle.

  • @brownskidd said:

    92.3 reported this morning that Saban has said no to all NFL teams trying to get him.

    He has said the exact same thing every time he has made a move to another team. Don't believe it.

    If he says that he means it today, right now. Come Tuesday after his team has played its last game...things could be different.

    @the-gipper said:

    He has said the exact same thing every time he has made a move to another team. Don't believe it.

    If he says that he means it today, right now. Come Tuesday after his team has played its last game...things could be different.

    Didn't Saban tell the media, "I am the coach of the Dolphins, and I have no interest in the Bama job"

  • @the-gipper said:

    He has said the exact same thing every time he has made a move to another team. Don't believe it.

    If he says that he means it today, right now. Come Tuesday after his team has played its last game...things could be different.

    Didn't Saban tell the media, "I am the coach of the Dolphins, and I have no interest in the Bama job"

    @browns149 said:

    Didn't Saban tell the media, "I am the coach of the Dolphins, and I have no interest in the Bama job"

    Check, and mate.

  • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/chip-kelly-on-his-offense-in-the-nfl-dont-know-havent-been-there/

    Seems to understand that he needs to adjust to who is on his team... Still risky. Will need a good GM/personnel guy and maybe keep Jauron around to coach D if we do end up hiring this guy

  • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/chip-kelly-on-his-offense-in-the-nfl-dont-know-havent-been-there/

    Seems to understand that he needs to adjust to who is on his team... Still risky. Will need a good GM/personnel guy and maybe keep Jauron around to coach D if we do end up hiring this guy

    @thenew23 said:

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/chip-kelly-on-his-offense-in-the-nfl-dont-know-havent-been-there/

    Seems to understand that he needs to adjust to who is on his team... Still risky. Will need a good GM/personnel guy and maybe keep Jauron around to coach D if we do end up hiring this guy

    At least he understands that much.

  • NBC is reporting Chip Kelly to interview Friday for Browns head coach

    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/report-chip-kelly-browns-to-meet-friday/related/

  • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/chip-kelly-on-his-offense-in-the-nfl-dont-know-havent-been-there/

    Seems to understand that he needs to adjust to who is on his team... Still risky. Will need a good GM/personnel guy and maybe keep Jauron around to coach D if we do end up hiring this guy

    @thenew23 said:

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/chip-kelly-on-his-offense-in-the-nfl-dont-know-havent-been-there/

    Seems to understand that he needs to adjust to who is on his team... Still risky. Will need a good GM/personnel guy and maybe keep Jauron around to coach D if we do end up hiring this guy

    If he understands adjusting to the team, that is a fresh aproach compared to what we just had the past 4 years of Mangini and Shurmers crap

  • If I were a betting man, I'd go all in on Chip Kelly.

    Banner is flying there just blow through the Rooney Rule guy and nab Kelly before anyone else talks to him.

    Reminds me of when the Ravens outsmarted us for Brian Billick. We "insisted" that he fly to Cleveland after the Vikings playoff loss that year ... Ravens just sent a plane out and got him.

    Banner wants Kelly and is going to get him.

    Which means we need a really good defensive coordinator and a really good GM, because Kelly knows nothing about either.

    Zombo

    --Only a Saban coup will topple Kelly to Cleveland, IMO

  • My only worry about kelly is the amount of control hes gonna have....ala policy all over again. But the genius of kellys system is that its not predicated on a specific type of personnel, rather its dictated by defenses alignment. Its about gap production when runnjng the ball, and attacking open areas thru the air. Many things go into it, but its more than having a running QB. All the while using tempo to dictate substitutions and matchups.

    Nothing about his system says it cant work in the NFL....its more about how banners gonna fuck up the personnel side. It seems to be that kelly wants some control, which means a director of pro personnel rather than a GM....in the traditional sense. Banner already has said he prefers this type of setup. However, being that banner will have control over the checkbook, he has final say. So a guy like lombardi makes sense, cause any GM witb talent is not going to come running here to be a coffee fetcher. It automatically eliminates any candidates that are with other clubs that would require a "promotion", since controlling the scouting dept isnt a promotion for many qualified candidates.

    Many pitfalls await if this is the direction....could work though if kelly is as good as advertised.

  • Just heard it reported on NFL network that Kelley will not be demanding full control. He also is meeting with the Bills and Eagles this weekend as well as the Browns.

    Elsewhere, Andy Reid is meeting with the Cardinals and Chiefs and just heard it reported that he would bring our old friend Pat Shurmur with him as OC.

  • Weeden ran an offense where he would read a short pass option first and then hand off if it was not there.... Chip runs similar things with Oregon. Each play pretty much has a read and then a fall back, often into an extremely high percentage route/handoff.

  • Just an update from some things I've read, including the Mort report. Ray Horton was interviewed by the browns and according to him it went "great". Also, browns interviewed former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona yesterday. I can't say I know much about the guy outside of he was on the browns & Steelers staff along with taking the Cards to the super bowl.

    It's still obvious to me they are just buying their time to go all in for Chip Kelly, but I do like the approach of interviewing a slew of candidates.