Skip to content

New Coach Discussion

The Browns Board
258 66 14.3k
  • Yup... Chris Mortensen just said Kelly is a no-go, and Browns are restarting their coach search...

    Could do a lot worse than Wisenhunt... but I'm still waiting for the name Tressel to surface.

  • @mark-o said:

    1357492620[/url]' post='321230']

    It would seem as though he has commitment issues. There's also a rumor that Phil Knight is applying pressure (translated, offering more money) for him to stay at Oregon.

    If it's all about money,then he can go screw himself. I'm sure he was offered a lot from the Browns( and probably more from Philly). The guy has proven nothing and he wants "big money"! This guy has left a sour taste in my mouth.

  • Just heard it on ESPN.

    Not sure what to think now. I think Whisenhunt is the next on e list

  • Just heard it on ESPN.

    Not sure what to think now. I think Whisenhunt is the next on e list

    @brownskidd said:

    Just heard it on ESPN.

    Not sure what to think now. I think Whisenhunt is the next on e list

    If he is next, then why did Halsem and Banner leave Arizona?

  • @hunt-daddy said:

    1357492718[/url]' post='321234']

    Yea, I hear it's either going to be Oregon or Philly. If he goes back to Oregon, does he get another chance at the NFL? That's two years in a row he's wasted everyone's fucking time.

    If he stays in Oregon, he will definitely have many NFL teams "sour" on him for a future job in the NFL. More and more I see him as a self-absorbed, greedy, lying, arrogant asshole! He definitely wasted a lot of people's time.

  • Well, if Kelly is using NFL for leverage with Oregon, at least he's not pulling a Saban...

  • Hey Hey Hey DO POST ANYTHING ON HERE THAT IS A RUMOR. Unless you saw Banner and Haslem get on the plane and take off. It is not true and you cannot report it. Be careful Caption Dickhead, sorry Zombo will yell at you as he is our Cyber Bully of the Browns Board...Be careful

  • 92.3 reported that Haslam came away very impressed with Whisenhunt.

  • Peter King reports Chip Kelly has eliminated the Browns and will decide between the Eagles and Ducks.

    Is he credible enough to report?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    1357492709[/url]' post='321233']

    Suck a dick.

    You mean a duck's dick. Which he probably already has. He's an asshole! He'll get what he deserves. He sure in the hell wasted a lot of peoples's time. I hope the fat ass enjoyed all the attention and his free meals.

  • Hey Hey Hey DO POST ANYTHING ON HERE THAT IS A RUMOR. Unless you saw Banner and Haslem get on the plane and take off. It is not true and you cannot report it. Be careful Caption Dickhead, sorry Zombo will yell at you as he is our Cyber Bully of the Browns Board...Be careful

    @tampadawgs said:

    Hey Hey Hey DO POST ANYTHING ON HERE THAT IS A RUMOR. Unless you saw Banner and Haslem get on the plane and take off. It is not true and you cannot report it. Be careful Caption Dickhead, sorry Zombo will yell at you as he is our Cyber Bully of the Browns Board...Be careful

    Couldn't care less

  • Sources: No Chip Kelly for Browns

    Updated: January 6, 2013, 12:42 PM ET

    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

    The Cleveland Browns have decided to reboot their coach search after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing Oregon's Chip Kelly, according to league sources.

    Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III will renew the search at "square one" once his executive contingent, including CEO Joe Banner is stationed back in Cleveland after interviewing eight candidates in Arizona.

    Kelly and Syracuse coach Doug Marrone emerged as the leading candidates but Marrone reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

    The Philadelphia Eagles are the only other NFL team known to have interviewed Kelly. League sources believe the chances of Kelly returning to Oregon were significant with a decision expected Sunday.

    Kelly has built the Ducks into a national power. Oregon has gone 46-7 in the last four years and made four consecutive BCS bowl games. Kelly run's a high-octane, fast-breaking offense, and elements of his schemes are already being used by New England and Washington.

    If he returns to the Eugene, Ore., campus, Kelly may be facing NCAA sanctions as the school is being investigated for recruiting violations.

    Haslam and Banner had been in Arizona since firing Pat Shurmur last week. Shurmur went 9-23 in two seasons with Cleveland, which is seeking its sixth full-time coach since 1999.

    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

  • So what do we take away from this. Is this a "it's Cleveland vs Philly" thing or a Kelly is tease? If Whisenhunt is a top choice and liked by Haslam I'm ok with that choice. He reminds me of Cowher somewhat. I don't know. But where is all the talk of Gruden and other NFL coaches for any other team not just Cleveland?

  • Sources: No Chip Kelly for Browns

    Updated: January 6, 2013, 12:42 PM ET

    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

    The Cleveland Browns have decided to reboot their coach search after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing Oregon's Chip Kelly, according to league sources.

    Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III will renew the search at "square one" once his executive contingent, including CEO Joe Banner is stationed back in Cleveland after interviewing eight candidates in Arizona.

    Kelly and Syracuse coach Doug Marrone emerged as the leading candidates but Marrone reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

    The Philadelphia Eagles are the only other NFL team known to have interviewed Kelly. League sources believe the chances of Kelly returning to Oregon were significant with a decision expected Sunday.

    Kelly has built the Ducks into a national power. Oregon has gone 46-7 in the last four years and made four consecutive BCS bowl games. Kelly run's a high-octane, fast-breaking offense, and elements of his schemes are already being used by New England and Washington.

    If he returns to the Eugene, Ore., campus, Kelly may be facing NCAA sanctions as the school is being investigated for recruiting violations.

    Haslam and Banner had been in Arizona since firing Pat Shurmur last week. Shurmur went 9-23 in two seasons with Cleveland, which is seeking its sixth full-time coach since 1999.

    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

    @browns57 said:

    Sources: No Chip Kelly for Browns

    Updated: January 6, 2013, 12:42 PM ET

    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

    Kelly and Syracuse coach Doug Marrone emerged as the leading candidates but Marrone reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

    The Philadelphia Eagles are the only other NFL team known to have interviewed Kelly. League sources believe the chances of Kelly returning to Oregon were significant with a decision expected Sunday.

    So Haslam has lost out on his top two choices. Welcome to the Cleveland Browns.

  • I'm 5 hours ahead of the rest of you being over here, so I've had longer to wait for the fucker to make up his mind. I kind of expected he would turn his back on us the longer it dragged on without an answer.

    I've been reading all the sites and comments waiting for this shitty saga to end and the one thing that has come out of it is I'm sick of reading posts by arsehole fans of other teams mocking the browns and Cleveland in general.

    Whoever we end up with has a duty to turn this team around and shove it to the rest of the fuckers who think we are a joke. I'm sick of us being a laughing stock and it has to end.

  • I want a coach with winning NFL experience, we have had enough of rookie coaches with big bullshit promises. Lets spend the big bucks and find an NFL winning coach... Please!

  • Lovie Smith.

  • I want a coach with winning NFL experience, we have had enough of rookie coaches with big bullshit promises. Lets spend the big bucks and find an NFL winning coach... Please!

    @jibz said:

    I want a coach with winning NFL experience, we have had enough of rookie coaches with big bullshit promises. Lets spend the big bucks and find an NFL winning coach... Please!

    Two things:

    1) I think everyone wants a proven winning NFL head coach.

    2) What you've done in the past has nothing to do with what do in the future. Look at Homgren. Fantastic, proven winner. Knows the NFL in and out. Sucks ass as team president.

  • I'll not judge Kelly, but if he was playing a game of Browns vs Eagles vs Oregon for bucks, I applaud Haslam & Banner for getting out. IMHO there are still some fine candidates out there such as Whisenhunt, Lovie (altho needs a SOLID OC with control of the O), Kyle Shanahan, & Mike McCoy. The Browns have a lot to offer in the way of young talent & a FO that will provide what the incoming HC needs to succeed.

    Until I see the actual "done deal", all the Kelly speculation is nothing more than rumor. I DO think that whomever agrees to the Browns HC job will have made a wise decision. This is a young Team/Organization on the rise & that's a great opportunity.

    Mike

  • I want a coach with winning NFL experience, we have had enough of rookie coaches with big bullshit promises. Lets spend the big bucks and find an NFL winning coach... Please!

    @jibz said:

    I want a coach with winning NFL experience, we have had enough of rookie coaches with big bullshit promises. Lets spend the big bucks and find an NFL winning coach... Please!

    I agree 100%. Kelly has zero experience being around an NFL team, evaluating talent at an NFL level and working with a GM, or trying to motivate guys who are out of college and making a (a very good)living playing the game. He is a gimmicky coach in a mediocre conference. I am not saying that he is doomed for failure, but I do believe that the Browns can find a candidate better suited to step in here- one not having to learn so much on the fly. Also, a coach will not be the panacea for this team. It will help, but there is still a talent void between the Browns and the top teams in the league. I am more worried about the GM position and lack of quality candidates who can step in and perform at the level that Heckert did for that position more-so than the coach. We are replacing a bad coach which should be fairly easy to upgrade. The same cannot be said for replacing Tom.