Skip to content

New Coach Discussion

The Browns Board
258 66 14.3k
  • @browns57 said:

    Sources: No Chip Kelly for Browns

    Updated: January 6, 2013, 12:42 PM ET

    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

    Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III will renew the search at "square one" once his executive contingent, including CEO Joe Banner is stationed back in Cleveland after interviewing eight candidates in Arizona.

    Eight? What? The entire Cardinal coaching staff?? LOL...

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Hey, common now! We got a Casino, cigars, women in hose, etc.

    women in hose... lol

    ============================

    Glad to see Mike Zimmer get a mention or two... Hadn't thought of him until Mike Mayott mentioned him during the Texans/ Bengals broadcast. Top notch defensive coord and appears to be intense and then some. I think he's worth a look...

    As for the Saban hypothetical... ummm... nope... don't see it, but wouldn't mind it. Roll Tide... 😎

    Still waiting for Tressel's name to surface...

    And somewhere in the wings is a Mangenius in waiting. I know it's far from the consensus 'round here, but I think he was hosed by Holmgren out of one more year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Eight? What? The entire Cardinal coaching staff?? LOL...

    women in hose... lol

    ============================

    Glad to see Mike Zimmer get a mention or two... Hadn't thought of him until Mike Mayott mentioned him during the Texans/ Bengals broadcast. Top notch defensive coord and appears to be intense and then some. I think he's worth a look...

    As for the Saban hypothetical... ummm... nope... don't see it, but wouldn't mind it. Roll Tide... 😎

    Still waiting for Tressel's name to surface...

    And somewhere in the wings is a Mangenius in waiting. I know it's far from the consensus 'round here, but I think he was hosed by Holmgren out of one more year.

    yes he was....

  • Gipper, I disagree with your opinion about the Browns-Oilers. Granted, the Oliers weren't much of a threat to any AFC Central foes for a long time, but around 1978-1995 those were some great games- usually low scoring slugfests. I was a kid when Robert L. Jackson knocked Earl Campbell's teeth out.

    Other rivalries I remember as a kid were the Vikings-Cowboys, Steelers-Raiders, Raiders-Dolphins. One of the greatest games I ever saw was when Stabler was falling down & heaved a pass to Clarence Davis to beat the Dolphins in the playoffs- it was huge, as Miami was so dominant (I think it was the 1974 playoffs, 28-26 Raiders won, and spelled the end of Miami's dynasty/great run of the early 70s).

    Atlanta-New Orleans is one of the league's best rivalries, but not talked about a lot.

    Personally, I love the Browns-Steelers & Browns-Bengals games the best. I also like the NFC North rivalries, although the Vikings & Lions moving indoors kind of ruined it a bit.

    @bob806 said:

    Gipper, I disagree with your opinion about the Browns-Oilers. Granted, the Oliers weren't much of a threat to any AFC Central foes for a long time, but around 1978-1995 those were some great games- usually low scoring slugfests. I was a kid when Robert L. Jackson knocked Earl Campbell's teeth out.

    Other rivalries I remember as a kid were the Vikings-Cowboys, Steelers-Raiders, Raiders-Dolphins. One of the greatest games I ever saw was when Stabler was falling down & heaved a pass to Clarence Davis to beat the Dolphins in the playoffs- it was huge, as Miami was so dominant (I think it was the 1974 playoffs, 28-26 Raiders won, and spelled the end of Miami's dynasty/great run of the early 70s).

    Atlanta-New Orleans is one of the league's best rivalries, but not talked about a lot.

    Personally, I love the Browns-Steelers & Browns-Bengals games the best. I also like the NFC North rivalries, although the Vikings & Lions moving indoors kind of ruined it a bit.

    Well, here again...you seem to be saying that a rivalry is created simply because two teams are vying for an important prize....AFC/NFC title, Super Bowl, whatever.

    I mean, presuppose that in the next several years the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars ascend to become the prime contenders for the AFC title. Say they meet in the AFC title game a couple of times.

    How is a true rivalry created there? Simply by virtue of the fact that they were both good teams trying to win the same ring? I say no. I say that the Raiders/Steelers "rivalry" was simply a happenstance that both were the best teams in the AFC in the 1970s...but that no natural rivalry exists between them....any more than exists between those 2010s powers Browns and Jaguars. (or those 1980s rivals Browns and Broncos)

    See my point?

  • Just how in the hell did my "Lost Rivalries" thread get mixed into the New Coach Discussion?

    WTF is up with that?

  • Who was the homo a couple years back all fired up for the Browns to hire Gruden. Whoever you were....you might get your wish:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_might_pursue.html

  • Who was the homo a couple years back all fired up for the Browns to hire Gruden. Whoever you were....you might get your wish:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_might_pursue.html

    @mark-o said:

    Who was the homo a couple years back all fired up for the Browns to hire Gruden. Whoever you were....you might get your wish:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_might_pursue.html

    If Mary Kay Cabot wrote it, you can bet it's not true.

  • Who was the homo a couple years back all fired up for the Browns to hire Gruden. Whoever you were....you might get your wish:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_might_pursue.html

    @mark-o said:

    Who was the homo a couple years back all fired up for the Browns to hire Gruden. Whoever you were....you might get your wish:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_might_pursue.html

    WRRebel is his name. loves gruden. would probably have his baby if only.........

  • Wrrebel, haven't seen him for a while he must have found a boyfriend.

    I noticed rg3 to cle popped his head in I wonder if he's trollin the KC boards with some gino 2 kc name.

  • Yeah I doubt they even interview Gruden. The article/tweets have all said "might". The way things are going with this cluster of a search, I won't believe anything until I see a coach on the sidelines in September. Having said that, at least Gruden is better than the rest of the depressing "candidates" being interviewed.

  • This shit is starting to get old.

  • It's been less than a week that we've been actually looking for a coach. These things can take some time.

  • This shit is starting to get old.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    This shit is starting to get old.

    Ya, really old, almost a week. STFU.

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    This shit is starting to get old.

    Ya, really old, almost a week. STFU.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Ya, really old, almost a week. STFU.

    haha good job another intelligent and insightful post blowhard keep up the good work.

  • Hey hey Hey, fuck you all. Merry christmas!

  • Take it for what's worth. Some college guy who is in the know was asked who was the browns future coach on 92.3. And despite what has been said and or rumored to have been said he said without hesitation. Saban.

  • Take it for what's worth. Some college guy who is in the know was asked who was the browns future coach on 92.3. And despite what has been said and or rumored to have been said he said without hesitation. Saban.

    @brownskidd said:

    Take it for what's worth. Some college guy who is in the know was asked who was the browns future coach on 92.3. And despite what has been said and or rumored to have been said he said without hesitation. Saban.

    Unfortunately he didn't even give the Browns, or any other team, an interview. I believe he said he didn't want to return to the NFL at his age. Some coaches just are more successful at the college level. Given his success he is smart to stay at 'Bama.

  • @brownskidd said:

    Take it for what's worth. Some college guy who is in the know was asked who was the browns future coach on 92.3. And despite what has been said and or rumored to have been said he said without hesitation. Saban.

    Unfortunately he didn't even give the Browns, or any other team, an interview. I believe he said he didn't want to return to the NFL at his age. Some coaches just are more successful at the college level. Given his success he is smart to stay at 'Bama.

    @feartheroo said:

    Unfortunately he didn't even give the Browns, or any other team, an interview. I believe he said he didn't want to return to the NFL at his age. Some coaches just are more successful at the college level. Given his success he is smart to stay at 'Bama.

    what if Bama wins 48-0 against ND? what else does he have to prove at the college level?

  • The over under on the obscene amount of money the Browns will throw at Saban tomorrow is $7M per year. I'm taking the over.

  • The over under on the obscene amount of money the Browns will throw at Saban tomorrow is $7M per year. I'm taking the over.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    The over under on the obscene amount of money the Browns will throw at Saban tomorrow is $7M per year. I'm taking the over.

    $10 million atleast. AND HE WILL STILL SAY NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

  • @feartheroo said:

    Unfortunately he didn't even give the Browns, or any other team, an interview. I believe he said he didn't want to return to the NFL at his age. Some coaches just are more successful at the college level. Given his success he is smart to stay at 'Bama.

    what if Bama wins 48-0 against ND? what else does he have to prove at the college level?

    @browns149 said:

    what if Bama wins 48-0 against ND? what else does he have to prove at the college level?

    I agree he probably doesn't have much more to prove. Yet, he already said he wasn't going to leave for the NFL. He didn't enjoy his first stint with the Dolphins, so I just don't see why he would consider taking another NFL job.

    The same could be said about NCAA basketball coaches not going to the NBA. Guys like Coach K have no reason to leave...

  • He better make the second.......third..........fourth..............fifth...............and 6th call.

    I can't see how anyone would NOT want SABAN.