Skip to content

Not So Fast My Friend

The Browns Board
9 7 1.3k
  • NOT So Fast My Friend.

    This coach thing isn't over until the fat lady sings. Its not over even if the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor. Its not over til every drop of blood has been squeezed in a Tarantino film. Its not over til the plane takes off for Lisbon. Its not over until every Zombie has its head cut off. Its not over until The Duke walks off into the sunset. Its not over until the ruby slippers get tapped 3 times.

    It not over til its over. Just because guys say they won't be candidates for the Browns HC job...doesn't mean they are not candidates for the Browns HC job. In my view here is a list of people still in play:

    1. Nick Saban. Yea, he says what he says....but never believe what he says. "I been Saban all my love for you".

    2. Bill O'Brien. I declare my allegiance to Penn St. Can you say "Quisling". (Maybe he can give a speech like Pat O'Brien)

    3. John Gruden. Say it ain't so, Jo. Chucky lives!!

    4. Jay Gruden. Eli Manning proved that the little bro can outshine the big bro.

    5. Bruce Arians. A little puking during a playoff game can't slow this puppy down.

    6. Josh McDaniels. Unless he has been promised BBs job when he retires...soon. MickeyD is still an option.

    7. Lovie Smith. JH may want to get lovey dovey with Lovie.

    8. Mike Zimmer. A perfect tie in to sell Zima at CBS for about a dollar an ounce.

    9. Ken Whisenhunt. The Browns may yet "ease on down the road" with the Wiz.

    10. Ray Horton. Horton hears a "Who? You, that's who" from JH.

    11. Mike McCoy. The Real Deal here. Has a team ever had a starting QB and HC with the same last name?

    12. Keith Armstrong. (Ravens ST coach). All American boy. Since Neil died, Ohio needs another hero named Armstrong.

    13. Pete Carmichael. (Saints OC). We can maybe light up a Stogey if he gets the job...err should I say, we can all get Stoked.

    14. Tom Clements. (Packers OC). Then we can all cry: It's Clement's Time. Oh my darling.

    15. Todd Haley. He says "I promise to lead the Browns to a Super Bowl before July 2061", which is the next time Halley's Comet is expected to visit Earth.

    Not a Chubby Chud in sight on my list here.

  • I hear alot of talk about Jay Gruden and Kyle Shanahan...but I don't really see anything that special about those two offenses. Did Cincy beat the Texans in the play-offs this year? Did the Redskins do anything when RG3 was rendered immobile? Bah! Losers!! I'm impressed by the Seahawks and what they did with a QB noone talked about in last year's draft (Russel Wilson). Why isn't Darrell Bevell discussed as a head coaching candidate? He seems like a fresh face who can get a young QB playing to a high level, which is something the Browns need.

    I also think Brian Billick should be looked at. When I've heard him on the radio in Pittsburgh, he talked about returning to coaching. He seems to have drive/fire left in him (which I can't say about some other bigger name coaches). He also is familar with the AFC North and knows what our rivalries are all about. In the very least, I think he'll interview with the Browns.

    I do like Lovie Smith. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda hoping nobody picks up Smith as a HC, and LeBeau retires or is released and Pittsburgh gets him for DC. I think Smith could greatly improve Pittsburgh's defense which has gotten stale as of late. Also, I don't know about Wiz. I think he'd make someone a good OC...but I'd avoid him as a HC, same with Haley. To be honest, I'm not really all that happy with the Haley offense and he definately wasn't an improvement over Arians. While you might not like to hear it, Bruce Arians would make a better HC than either Haley or Wiz.

  • On Jay Gruden.....I understand that he has been a HC in both the Arena League and the UFL...and won titles in both.

    I know it is the minor leagues....but it says something.

  • I hear alot of talk about Jay Gruden and Kyle Shanahan...but I don't really see anything that special about those two offenses. Did Cincy beat the Texans in the play-offs this year? Did the Redskins do anything when RG3 was rendered immobile? Bah! Losers!! I'm impressed by the Seahawks and what they did with a QB noone talked about in last year's draft (Russel Wilson). Why isn't Darrell Bevell discussed as a head coaching candidate? He seems like a fresh face who can get a young QB playing to a high level, which is something the Browns need.

    I also think Brian Billick should be looked at. When I've heard him on the radio in Pittsburgh, he talked about returning to coaching. He seems to have drive/fire left in him (which I can't say about some other bigger name coaches). He also is familar with the AFC North and knows what our rivalries are all about. In the very least, I think he'll interview with the Browns.

    I do like Lovie Smith. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda hoping nobody picks up Smith as a HC, and LeBeau retires or is released and Pittsburgh gets him for DC. I think Smith could greatly improve Pittsburgh's defense which has gotten stale as of late. Also, I don't know about Wiz. I think he'd make someone a good OC...but I'd avoid him as a HC, same with Haley. To be honest, I'm not really all that happy with the Haley offense and he definately wasn't an improvement over Arians. While you might not like to hear it, Bruce Arians would make a better HC than either Haley or Wiz.

    Endymion said:

    and Kyle Shanahan...but I don't really see anything that special

    too young with too little on his resume.

    i love the thought of billick though. knows how to develop QBs and showed the intensity and aggressiveness while with a young baltimore team.

  • Billick always came off as full of shit to me.

    He was supposedly the brains behind that 99 Vikings offense but his offense always sucked in Baltimore.

    The guy is well spoken and charismatic but the best he can do is analyze crap games after 5 years out of coaching?

    I think there's a reason he's still not coaching after all this time and has said he wants to be.

  • I hope we interview Kevin Sumlin. I know he's a college coach yada yada, but look what he did UH and TAMU. The turnarounds were immediate because he can maximize all the talent on a roster. Not saying we have to sign him, just would feel like we didn't explore every college coach with potential. Besides he can be our Rooney interview at the least.

  • I'm thinkin McCoy or Chudzinski will be the hc in a few days.

    Especially Chud fits the bill, to me.

  • Endymion said:

    and Kyle Shanahan...but I don't really see anything that special

    too young with too little on his resume.

    i love the thought of billick though. knows how to develop QBs and showed the intensity and aggressiveness while with a young baltimore team.

    @miktoxic said:

    too young with too little on his resume.

    i love the thought of billick though. knows how to develop QBs and showed the intensity and aggressiveness while with a young baltimore team.

    Hardly too young. He is 45 years old. And here is his coaching resume:

    As coach:

    Nashville Kats (1997)

    (Offensive Coordinator)

    Orlando Predators (1998–2001)

    (Head Coach)

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2008)

    (Offensive Assistant)

    Orlando Predators (2004–2008)

    (Head Coach)

    Florida Tuskers (2009)

    (Offensive Coordinator)

    Florida Tuskers (2010)

    (Head Coach/General Manager)

    Cincinnati Bengals (2011–present)

    (Offensive Coordinator)

    Like I said, I know these are minor leagues...but he won titles in both of those minor leagues....and even was GN for a while.

    I mean, honestly, it is a better resume than Chip Kelly has...or any of these college coaches.

    Edit: OOPs, sorry. I thought you were talking about Jay Gruden, not Kyle Shanahan. Nevertheless the above is Jay Gruden's resume.

  • I think Chudzinski could be great. He loves the Browns. Hes a successful offensive coordinator and hes the only guy who got anything out of our offense since reentry. His Panthers offense was #4 in the league last year with a rookie QB and #12 this year. I think our offense is better now than when he was here last. Get him Ray Horton as our DC and Id be a happy man.