Skip to content

Jack Reacher Review

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
3 1 530
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Jack Reacher

    Paramount

    PG 12

    Jack Reacher is a character in a very successful series of novels created by author Lee Child. Thanks to audible.com I've read a few of these and it seems they follow a particular pattern.

    Reacher (Tom Cruise) is a tough as nails ex army cop who wanders the country and finds himself embroiled in all kinds of dangerous situations.

    There are some plot devices that find their way into just about every novel. The bad guys are usually people with power who prey upon innocent people for their own wicked purposes. Often a bystander will be framed for those crimes. Local law enforcement officials are almost always ill prepared to deal with the skullduggery prompting Reacher to reluctantly come to their aid. At 6 foot 5 inches Reacher really is meaner than a junkyard dog and makes bad bad Leroy Brown look like Wally Cox.

    The mysteries are often resolved by the big man either beating the living shit out of the bad guys, killing them or both.

    In this film, adapted from the novel One Shot, a sharpshooter with a checkered past is framed for a mass murder. Though at first Reacher believes he's guilty something still smells fishy and he gets to the bottom of it

    Another familiar scene in Childs novels is when multiple thugs attempt to scare our hero away. Usually he will counsel these inbred idiots to come back at a later date and to bring reinforcements. I mean why waste time hospitalizing 2 or 3 crackers when you can send a half dozen or more to the emergency room? Ol I realize that's a cheap and easy gimmick but to be honest I enjoy it every time it happens.

    It will probably take a while to get used to the idea that the miniscule Tom Cruise is in the lead role but what the hell? I've never heard anyone complain about Alan Ladd's pygmy stature so...

    If you enjoy seeing bad guys getting their asses kicked this is for you.

    B

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #2

    I agree that the entire Bond series turned to crap as the years went on.

    I do think the Daniel Craig films have stepped it up a bit.

    And I agree on Tom Cruise.

    There are certain roles he can play as well or better than anyone in the business.

    By the way, I never read the novel 1 shot.

    I assume he slept with the girl in the book, he does it every other 1 I've read.

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #3

    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    YOu know, I don't think he did.

    Could be bud.

    Like I say I never read that particular novel but in the ones that I have the pattern has been the same.

    😉

    WSS