Skip to content

I Love Uniform Talk

The Browns Board
244 46 16.1k
  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Sorry, I don't mean anyone personally, but you have to realize its the older fans really hanging on tradition. Aside from a period of a few years when I was 6-9 years old the browns tradition has been not so good. I'll go with a big time change.

    Short attention span, Cleveland fans were the first in history to tell the NFL- "our Team, our History our Colors." If you want a Tampa Bay makeover- buzz off.

    @hoorta said:

    Short attention span, Cleveland fans were the first in history to tell the NFL- "our Team, our History our Colors." If you want a Tampa Bay makeover- buzz off.

    I already mentioned we couldnt do the Tampa bay thing. Sounds like someone is a little butthurt about the possibility of uniform change. Too bad.

  • Cleveland_Chief_Wahoo_c224_large.jpg

    I'm a marketing guy, i am 100% for something new.

    I also want the Elf icon to stand on top of the stadium coming across route 2 like in the 80s when Chief Wahoo used to be up there i still have memories of that there, i'd take "The Elf" in a heartbeat up there.. PETITION MAKE NEW UNIS AND THE ELF ON THE STADIUM A MUST!!!!

    Browns Uniform article written on the 17th http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_new_uniforms.html

    browns-uniform-6jpg-69ed17d96d085b74.jpg

    scott-haury-uniformsjpg-0479424f9cf44959.jpg

    mrdesignfacebookjpg-f9274ae43ce23ee3.jpg

    grady-quinn-helmets2jpg-409b7311bc39cec4.jpg

    browns-uniform-ryanjpg-cb8557f8cd7094df.jpg

    @represent said:

    grady-quinn-helmets2jpg-409b7311bc39cec4.jpg

    who thought up the one with the helmet on the helmet??? CMON! thats GAY

  • They should bring back the brownie elf in some capacity, that was when the Browns were good and dominant. Just put it on the sleeve somewhere or something, or as an alternate logo, kind of how the Celtics have that leprechaun.

  • In order to reboot the franchise we need to reboot how people recognize the brand. There are too many bad connotations attached to the antiquated helmet logo and the classic striped sleeve look.

    What we need is a fierce representation of our team. Something that involves either the history of the Browns or the history of the city.

    What I've always thought would be great is to have three different but easily recognizable likenesses for each of the three professional teams in Cleveland. Like the Indians have Chief Wahoo, I believe the Browns and the Cavaliers both need a instantly recognizable humanoid figure.

    I think a reimagination of the brownie elf could be a very good jumping off point. Designs are becoming more simplistic as time goes on; if someone were to take the elf and clean the lines and update it, it could look really good.

    I also believe that we need to adopt an off color jersey, either a black or grey alternate that can feature brown and orange accents.

  • Fashion can help you get women. When I go shopping, I buy shit that stands the best shot to make me look good and get laid. I buy apparel and will not buy anything with the stupid helmet logo, so needless to say I dont own alot of Browns apparel. Change the logo to the Dawg (maybe spice it up a bit) freshen up the uni's, leave the helmet the same, and the colors should stay the same (except maybe make the brown a little cleaner).

  • Dawg logo yes, elf logo NO! What does an elf represent? A tiny, weak little Santa helper. Not the way you want to go about representing your football team.

  • According to lore a brownie isn't an elf. It's a helpful house spirit akin to a hobgobllin which sounds, of course, much tougher. Also according to lore the sure way to get rid of a brownie is to present it with a new set of clothes which, I guess, offends it.

  • According to lore a brownie isn't an elf. It's a helpful house spirit akin to a hobgobllin which sounds, of course, much tougher. Also according to lore the sure way to get rid of a brownie is to present it with a new set of clothes which, I guess, offends it.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    According to lore a brownie isn't an elf. It's a helpful house spirit akin to a hobgobllin which sounds, of course, much tougher. Also according to lore the sure way to get rid of a brownie is to present it with a new set of clothes which, I guess, offends it.

    Dobby the House Elf?

    Uni changes - I'm all for them. Logo on helmet - no way. However, changing the helmet color to a bright metallic copper-orange (PMS 243 for the Toxic one) would look cool. I like the idea of a patch featuring an aggressive-looking brownie on the jersey too. Orange pants - sure, whatever.

  • Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

    post-1565-0-20066500-1358639049_thumb.jpg

  • Cleveland.com started another article the other day about the Uniforms, so its always going to come up into conversation until it actually changes, so Z, I'm afraid you'll just have to give in to your love for Uniform threads cropping up for another year or two 😛 Though I did think one of the Logo ideas looked good for the Elf.

    scott-haury-logo-2jpg-e4cc794ca8e10485_zpsdc3b0787.jpg

  • Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

    post-1565-0-20066500-1358639049_thumb.jpg

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

    That's an aggressive Brownie, no doubt! Very cool!

  • Dawson: "I look at a lot of pictures of Browns history and I see all kinds of different uniforms. So why is it now the actual ones we're wearing we can't change? I don't get it. I've seen brown on orange. I've seen white on orange. The one constant is the helmet, but way, way back they wore white. There have been changes to the uniform throughout Browns history.

    "You can probably make a pretty good argument that this city fought so hard to keep its colors when the team left and came back, that some of that (tradition) sentiment is a product of that. So obviously it's going to be a delicate situation. And I'm certainly not going to be upset if no change is made. (But) guys grumble a little bit. The years we wore throwbacks, there was very little change (to what we wear now)."

    All you Old timers Take that with your tradition!!!!!!! Stop Crying because the Uniform has changes thru out Browns History...Heres More....

    John Hughes: "Change is always good. I guess the Browns have been very traditional since they've been here. But it would be cool to have new jerseys. It would be a change."

    Joe Haden: "I'm all for it. I'm a fashion dude, so anything that could bring another spark would be really sweet. Whatever Haslam wants to do, I'm gonna ride with it. I just think it would be sweet to have new jerseys. Just something different because I think we're growing something new here. We have a lot of young players, lot of new faces. It would be something. It would be nice.

    "You look good, you feel good, you play good. So I think new jerseys would be so sweet. Everybody's definitely down for it. Because we talk about it all the time. The Seahawks jerseys are so 'sick.' The 49ers jerseys. That would be 'sick' if we had something else."

    Ward: "I'm all for it. I don't think we should change it completely, but I think a few alterations would be cool. You've got to change some things up. I know a lot of people are big on tradition here and keeping it the same. But I think maybe a new look would freshen a lot of things up."

    Gordon: "As much as you can do with brown and orange, I'm sure you can always use a little upgrade. You definitely do (feel energy from new uniforms). That's how colleges recruit. They get a lot of young guys because of their uniforms.

    "If they did (change), I'd be all for it. The all whites get a little dirty, a little dingy. I think it's the best combo that we have. If we did get a new design, I'd be happy to vote for it. You look good, you feel good, you play good. That would be another attraction to come watch the game."

    Joe Thomas: "I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I don't know what they'd change it to. It's been brown forever. I'd be open to seeing what it looks like. It's hard to say what my opinion is without seeing what they'd change it to."

    Josh Cribbs: "Oh, definitely. I say that from the rooftop. I hate the same old things. It's no fun at all. It's tradition, of what? We're a different team. We should have different uniforms, or at least different variety. It would spark us, make us feel more amped. Marketing. Makes people buy the jerseys and want to root for your team. I'll believe it when it happens. Any change is good for this program."

    @tampadawgs said:

    Dawson: "I look at a lot of pictures of Browns history and I see all kinds of different uniforms. So why is it now the actual ones we're wearing we can't change? I don't get it. I've seen brown on orange. I've seen white on orange. The one constant is the helmet, but way, way back they wore white. There have been changes to the uniform throughout Browns history.

    "You can probably make a pretty good argument that this city fought so hard to keep its colors when the team left and came back, that some of that (tradition) sentiment is a product of that. So obviously it's going to be a delicate situation. And I'm certainly not going to be upset if no change is made. (But) guys grumble a little bit. The years we wore throwbacks, there was very little change (to what we wear now)."

    All you Old timers Take that with your tradition!!!!!!! Stop Crying because the Uniform has changes thru out Browns History...Heres More....

    John Hughes: "Change is always good. I guess the Browns have been very traditional since they've been here. But it would be cool to have new jerseys. It would be a change."

    Joe Haden: "I'm all for it. I'm a fashion dude, so anything that could bring another spark would be really sweet. Whatever Haslam wants to do, I'm gonna ride with it. I just think it would be sweet to have new jerseys. Just something different because I think we're growing something new here. We have a lot of young players, lot of new faces. It would be something. It would be nice.

    "You look good, you feel good, you play good. So I think new jerseys would be so sweet. Everybody's definitely down for it. Because we talk about it all the time. The Seahawks jerseys are so 'sick.' The 49ers jerseys. That would be 'sick' if we had something else."

    Ward: "I'm all for it. I don't think we should change it completely, but I think a few alterations would be cool. You've got to change some things up. I know a lot of people are big on tradition here and keeping it the same. But I think maybe a new look would freshen a lot of things up."

    Gordon: "As much as you can do with brown and orange, I'm sure you can always use a little upgrade. You definitely do (feel energy from new uniforms). That's how colleges recruit. They get a lot of young guys because of their uniforms.

    "If they did (change), I'd be all for it. The all whites get a little dirty, a little dingy. I think it's the best combo that we have. If we did get a new design, I'd be happy to vote for it. You look good, you feel good, you play good. That would be another attraction to come watch the game."

    Joe Thomas: "I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I don't know what they'd change it to. It's been brown forever. I'd be open to seeing what it looks like. It's hard to say what my opinion is without seeing what they'd change it to."

    Josh Cribbs: "Oh, definitely. I say that from the rooftop. I hate the same old things. It's no fun at all. It's tradition, of what? We're a different team. We should have different uniforms, or at least different variety. It would spark us, make us feel more amped. Marketing. Makes people buy the jerseys and want to root for your team. I'll believe it when it happens. Any change is good for this program."

    how bout focusing on the dumbest thing ever the dawg pound and dumping it..........when it was always winning and based on offense and now lostin since that dumbass thought ever became our stupid losing mantra

  • @represent said:

    grady-quinn-helmets2jpg-409b7311bc39cec4.jpg

    who thought up the one with the helmet on the helmet??? CMON! thats GAY

    @fairhooker11 said:

    who thought up the one with the helmet on the helmet??? CMON! thats GAY

    LMFAO, i didn't catch that until you brought it up hahaha.....that's just a f'n dumb idea!!!

  • Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

    post-1565-0-20066500-1358639049_thumb.jpg

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

    I dig the idea of a badass hulkish type elf, maybe have the clothes ripped like they are on the "HULK", kinda like bustin out of his clothes

  • They should have the helmet on the helmet on the helmet ad infinitum

  • i love the lines in whoever's logo design of the 'agrressive brownie', clean vector work done in illsustrator (i'm thinking) anyways......

    but can i be quite blunt? if you are anywhere outside of cleveland and talking to someone not knowing the history of the browns and they ask you what the elf/grinch/leprachaun looking thing is and you say a 'brownie'? uhh. yeah

    i'm just going to take a piss (hint, while you grab your keys cellphone and any money left on the bar.... so gretchen the toothless bar keep can't smoke it into her head later) and dive out the back door peeling out of the rock filled parking lot and flat lining that mother fucker until you can't see the lights of 'the old stag and hag' bar anymore.

    see ya mississippi!

  • The History of the Brownie Elf

    The story of Brownie the Elf the logo begins long before the Cleveland Browns adopted the little creature — long before the team even existed, in fact. "Brownies" date back to folklore, where they were elf-like creatures who helped out with household chores as long as you left them little goodies to eat (further background is available here, here, and here, and the cover illustration from a children's tale entitled "Brownie and the Cook" can be seen here). Palmer Cox was one of the first artists to illustrate Brownie on a consistent basis in his cartoons. He began drawing and using the elves in advertising work that he produced for different companies, including Kodak.

    All of which brings us, finally, to the Cleveland Browns.

    The association of the elf and the gridiron Browns begins in the late 1940s with Arthur McBride, who was the team's owner at the time. During a string of four incredibly successful seasons from 1946-49 (each of which resulted in an All American Football Conference championship), McBride sought to make his team more recognizable and marketable with music, parades, marching bands, and so on. He also asked for submissions for mascot logos, and after careful consideration chose Brownie as the new face of the team.

    Brownie got an update around 1950 and looked like this until 1969. Alternate logos included an orange elf from 1950-69, and a halfback elf from 1960-69. After the Browns won the NFL title in 1964 (yes, it was that long ago, Cleveland fans), Brownie was often depicted with a crown signifying the team's achievement.

    Even representatives from the Cleveland Browns are befuddled as to the exact origin, date, and key figures in the creation of the logo (which made its first appearance in an ad for tickets to the 1946 opening game against the Miami Seahawks). However, many of the earliest versions of the elf are credited to Dick Dugan, who became the sports cartoonist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and often depicted Brownie in battle against the team's opponents, like the Broncos.

    Cleveland fans loved the athletically inclined little creature with pointed shoes, whose image could be seen adorning various publications and advertisements (from both the team and the public), such as in this 1949 Media Guide.

    So, what do you do with a logo that the fans love?

    Well, if you're Art Modell, you get rid of it. Apparently, Modell, who became the team's owner in 1961, was completely embarrassed by the elf and hated it so much that in the mid-1960s he began to phase it out. Yes, in addition to taking the team from Cleveland, Modell also was responsible for putting the lovable Brownie on the unemployment line.

    Thankfully, when the Browns were resurrected in 1999, Brownie got a new lease on life. New owner Randy Lerner has made a big push to use the elf logo more and more for the organization. "I think it's a great anchor for our tradition and for the look and feel of the Browns," he has said. "But I also understand that there is something to freshening up the act, so I think that's a balancing act we're having right now."

    As you can see from the team's sideline ponchos, the organization is using Brownie in more ways than just for merchandise sales (although it's clearly evident from the hats and shirts and fleeces that there is a definite push in that direction too). In fact, the Browns have used the elf logo on the 2006 Training Camp Patch celebrating the franchise's 60th anniversary, and a throwback elf logo appears on the front of their 2006 Media Guide (here's a close-up view). Fans have embraced Brownie, too — one guy has gotten permanent reminder of his allegiances.

    While Brownie's revival is welcome news, there's one place that the elf should never appear, on the helmet (and thankfully, Lerner agrees). Paul Brown actually proposed this idea in 1953, but dismissed the idea after seeing mock-ups created by then trainer Leo Murphy. Good thing too, because the only thing that should ever be added to the team's helmets are uniform numbers, like the ones the team wore with for a throwback game against the Bengals.

    We're generally pleased with Brownie's reappearance. It adds a great traditional aspect to the team's imagery, which meshes nicely with the more recent addition of the "Dawg" logo (but please, let's not have them mesh like this, ideas that belong in the same graveyard as this one).

    Three other Brownie items of note:

    • Brownie was also pressed into mascot duty by the St. Louis Browns baseball team just prior to their move to Baltimore (where they became the Orioles). During this brief run, Brownie appeared on the team's jersey sleeve , on the cover of the team's 1952 schedule, and even on the door to owner Bill Veeck's office.

    • "Elf Brownie" is also the name of a typeface.

  • The story of Brownie the Elf the logo begins long before the Cleveland Browns adopted the little creature — long before the team even existed, in fact. "Brownies" date back to folklore, where they were elf-like creatures who helped out with household chores as long as you left them little goodies to eat (further background is available here, here, and here, and the cover illustration from a children's tale entitled "Brownie and the Cook" can be seen here). Palmer Cox was one of the first artists to illustrate Brownie on a consistent basis in his cartoons. He began drawing and using the elves in advertising work that he produced for different companies, including Kodak.

    so maybe we should put June Cleaver or Hazel on the helmet??????????????????????

    Leave the helmet alone and remake the shirts and pants.

  • yeah exactly. why make this a drawn out conv? when all i really want to know is who is the person that re'did' the 'brownie'? some talent there.

    might wanna talk freelance graphic JOBZ.

  • yeah exactly. why make this a drawn out conv? when all i really want to know is who is the person that re'did' the 'brownie'? some talent there.

    might wanna talk freelance graphic JOBZ.

    @miktoxic said:

    yeah exactly. why make this a drawn out conv? when all i really want to know is who is the person that re'did' the 'brownie'? some talent there.

    might wanna talk freelance graphic JOBZ.

    It is a very good job. I've been trying to recreate it all night.