Skip to content

Ray Horton

The Browns Board
35 23 2.6k
  • His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

    I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

    @feartheroo said:

    His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

    I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

    Yeah, that one game is what you should go on.

    The one where the Arizona offense turned the ball over 8 times and gave up two touchdowns.

    Don't look at the 20-18 win the Patriots. Or the fact that their defense was statistically better than ours.

    The only problem I have with Horton is that if we have one really good year he will be gone to a head coaching position. He nearly got one this year.

    Zombo

    --Was the BEST of all names bandied about for DC.

  • @feartheroo said:

    His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

    I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

    Yeah, that one game is what you should go on.

    The one where the Arizona offense turned the ball over 8 times and gave up two touchdowns.

    Don't look at the 20-18 win the Patriots. Or the fact that their defense was statistically better than ours.

    The only problem I have with Horton is that if we have one really good year he will be gone to a head coaching position. He nearly got one this year.

    Zombo

    --Was the BEST of all names bandied about for DC.

    Zombo said:

    Yeah, that one game is what you should go on.

    The one where the Arizona offense turned the ball over 8 times and gave up two touchdowns.

    Don't look at the 20-18 win the Patriots. Or the fact that their defense was statistically better than ours.

    The only problem I have with Horton is that if we have one really good year he will be gone to a head coaching position. He nearly got one this year.

    Zombo

    --Was the BEST of all names bandied about for DC.

    Unless he DOESN'T and he gives us TWO really good years!

  • Horton is an excellent hire for DC..

    Cant wait until april rolls around, its going to be really interesting to see how the draft goes this year...😉

  • I'm so tired of people bringing up that 58-0 loss. As Z said the offense turned the ball over 8 times and two for Tds. What the hell do you want a coordinator to do when you're unit is out there 80% of the time guarding the red zone? This guy was the most sought after minority coach in the NFL and clearly is well respected in the league.

  • Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

  • Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

    That would be assuming the Browns get a winning record or at least a very strong defense which would still be a good thing and put positive energy in the organization.

  • Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

  • @feartheroo said:

    His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

    I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

    I enjoy coming to this board to read about Browns news and hear the opinions of others. I usually don't comment unless I read something so ridiculous that I am forced to.

    Your posts are always negative. Your statements are reductive and never take the context of a situation into account. Zombo said it best, so I'm not even going to address the x's and o's of your ridiculous post.

    I only have one question; are you ever NOT bitching?

    P.S. I was born and raised in Akron and I can say, without a doubt, that NO ONE fears the roo.

  • It's not like it was Cleveland putting up 58 against Arizona, it was the Seahawks. The same team also put up 42 against the 49'ers defense. They're kind of good, you know? Anyways, glad to see us making some steps in the right direction. Judging by some Twitter responses by our guys on defense they seem to be excited about working with Horton as well. A motivated team can take us far.

  • Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

    I dont think it was a quick hire, i thought they talked to horton when they were talking to kelly.!

  • Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

    I definitely feel a little bit relieved. Shortly after the rumors of him being a "sure thing" for the Browns DC job surfaced there were also rumors of Philly possibly being interested, that would have looked really bad had Philly stolen him away.

    @erie-dawg said:

    I dont think it was a quick hire, i thought they talked to horton when they were talking to kelly.!

    Well they interviewed him for the HC job while they were in Arizona pretty much just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Come to think of it Horton looks like he may have some white in him. I wonder if you have to interview 2 bi-racial candidates to satisfy the Rooney rule?

    It was still uncertain whether or not he'd stay with the Cardinals at that point, but I guess it couldn't have hurt.

  • It's not like it was Cleveland putting up 58 against Arizona, it was the Seahawks. The same team also put up 42 against the 49'ers defense. They're kind of good, you know? Anyways, glad to see us making some steps in the right direction. Judging by some Twitter responses by our guys on defense they seem to be excited about working with Horton as well. A motivated team can take us far.

    @toilet-cookie said:

    It's not like it was Cleveland putting up 58 against Arizona, it was the Seahawks. The same team also put up 42 against the 49'ers defense. They're kind of good, you know? Anyways, glad to see us making some steps in the right direction. Judging by some Twitter responses by our guys on defense they seem to be excited about working with Horton as well. A motivated team can take us far.

    Can't wait to see this D blitz again. With 40 million in cap space I really hope they go after Byrd from Buffalo and Smith from Miami if they hit the free agent market.

    I think Haden will have a big year if we finally blitz and play some zone again, add in a ball hawk like Byrd and things could really get exciting.

    Last time we played the 3-4 and blitzed we were a team full of old,slow linebackers... will be fun to see these young guys with speed get after it.

  • We ultimately should be playing either the 3-4 or 4-3 based on the opposing teams strengths at RB.

    I remember how in the Buffalo game this year CJ spiller looked like he was gonna break a rushing record against us before getting injured..

    Explosive backs will gash us so a 3-4 would be better suited against a back like him. And when you have Green-Ellis on the Bengals or Dwyer/Mendenhall the 4-3 is wondrous as they are slower to the second level/outside.

    We do need to sure up OLB though no matter what.

  • ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

  • ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

    @miktoxic said:

    ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

    Technically I think he was fired. But it is more like he was told that he could interview for other positions after bringing in Chud who wanted another guy. They liked him enough to not fire him right off the bat because they wanted him around in case the new head coach wanted to keep him. But considering that alot of DC spots have already been filled around the league he might get offered to stay on as DB coach/assistant DC since they are still talking about a hybrid 4-3 3-4 type defense.

  • Great hire!!!

    Horton was a potential head coach and my guess will be a head coach in this league someday.

    We finally have a proven staff surrounding our head coach.. When could this be said in the past?

    Norv maybe a bad head coach but he has excelled as offensive CO it is the reason why he kept getting head coaching jobs..

    I like Chud as a hire. He has a creative mind. My only knock on him is how he adjusts year to year. First year with Derek Anderson he blew it up, next year flop.. Cam Newtwon the same thing, but Cam came on the 2nd half of this year..

    I think with an experienced staff he could excel.

  • ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

    @miktoxic said:

    ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

    Obviously we didn't retain him.

  • @miktoxic said:

    ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

    Obviously we didn't retain him.

    @ballpeen said:

    Obviously we didn't retain him.

    thanks.

  • Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

    Hell....maybe that job will be the Browns, for all we know.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

    He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

    you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

    I definitely feel a little bit relieved. Shortly after the rumors of him being a "sure thing" for the Browns DC job surfaced there were also rumors of Philly possibly being interested, that would have looked really bad had Philly stolen him away.

    @erie-dawg said:

    I dont think it was a quick hire, i thought they talked to horton when they were talking to kelly.!

    Well they interviewed him for the HC job while they were in Arizona pretty much just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Come to think of it Horton looks like he may have some white in him. I wonder if you have to interview 2 bi-racial candidates to satisfy the Rooney rule?

    It was still uncertain whether or not he'd stay with the Cardinals at that point, but I guess it couldn't have hurt.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    I definitely feel a little bit relieved. Shortly after the rumors of him being a "sure thing" for the Browns DC job surfaced there were also rumors of Philly possibly being interested, that would have looked really bad had Philly stolen him away.

    Well they interviewed him for the HC job while they were in Arizona pretty much just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Come to think of it Horton looks like he may have some white in him. I wonder if you have to interview 2 bi-racial candidates to satisfy the Rooney rule?

    It was still uncertain whether or not he'd stay with the Cardinals at that point, but I guess it couldn't have hurt.

    Well, the Eagles got Pat Shurmur as OC, we got Horton for DC....

    I think I will take that trade.