Skip to content

Haslam Back To Pilot

The Browns Board
13 8 837
  • Pilot Flying J makes his money, the Browns are hobby. If Pilot Flying J fails, he won't have the funds to fuel his hobby. He spent his whole life building the company so he probably knows what it takes to run it more than a football organization. As owner of the Browns, he just needs to put the right people in place to build a winner. That and he gets one of the best seats in the house to enjoy/curse a football game every Sunday.

  • I think the move is made here because he has finally put in place witht the Browns all the people he thought he needed to run this operation...and he is going to allow them to do their jobs while he goes about doing his primary job.

    In a sense, he has less to do now with the Browns. Back in October it was literally just him....and the leftovers from the Holmgren regime. But now that he has a team CEO in banner, a President in Shriner, a GM/DOP in Lombardi, a HC, both coordinators, and a full compliment of asst. coaches he can let them all go about their business while he goes about his.

    That is what I see this as meaning.

  • I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

  • Don't really care what Haslam does. Just start winning and I'll be happy.

  • I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

    The temperature here was pushing 45-50, so it wasn't so bad...but... who knows how long that will last.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

    The temperature here was pushing 45-50, so it wasn't so bad...but... who knows how long that will last.

    @the-gipper said:

    The temperature here was pushing 45-50, so it wasn't so bad...but... who knows how long that will last.

    None the less, you get my point.

    No matter the reason, we agree, he doesn't need to be here 365.

  • I think another big thing if I understand correctly is that his family completely built the gas station chains from the ground up. I'd have to believe that's important to Haslam. I know if my parents handed down a billion dollar company they worked their ass off for I'd work my ass off for it too.

  • I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree. He can fly from Knoxville to Cleveland in call it 2.5 hours. That's from takeoff until he pulls in the drive at the Browns complex in Berea.

    I don't know if Pilot maintains their own jet, but you can bet they lease time with some outfit that can have one at a private hanger inside 24 hours if need be. I'd bet they lease a hundred hours or more a year.

    Point is, he doesn't need to be there. Plus, it's maybe 55 in Tennessee today. He may have decided he'll hang in Cleveland from late spring through football season, then head back to warmer temps.

    I would.

    It's faster than that Russ. 🙂 One of the newer Lear jets can make the trip in a shade over an hour actual flight time, (Mach .8) if he tells the pilot to floor it. Gameday, he has a shorter commute from Knoxville landing at Burke, than I do from Dayton. Fer sure, he's already scheduled flight time for the upcoming season.

  • No doubt. I just threw out the 2.5 hour number to take everything in to account.

    Either way, he can and will be in Berea as often as required. Most of what he needs to do at this point is communication. I suppose the same could be said about his role with Pilot, but to me, that is more like the Banner role with the Browns where you do need to be around on a every day, or nearly every day basis to keep your thumbprint fairly fresh.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The temperature here was pushing 45-50, so it wasn't so bad...but... who knows how long that will last.

    None the less, you get my point.

    No matter the reason, we agree, he doesn't need to be here 365.

    @ballpeen said:

    None the less, you get my point.

    No matter the reason, we agree, he doesn't need to be here 365.

    Yes, indeed...and by the way, it went back down to the mid 20s today. OI!