Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Beasts Of The Southern Wild Review

Beasts Of The Southern Wild Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
1 Posts 1 Posters 383 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #1

    Beasts of the Southern Wild

    Fox Searchlight

    PG 13 97 min

    Okay I guess I'm missing something here.

    Most of the time even the additional movies in the best picture category turn out to be a pleasant surprise. In all honesty I have no idea what it might have been about BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD that captured the heart and soul of the Academy. Oh I don't think it's going to win and I don't think very many people saw it but my God folks...

    Now you know my theory on watching something even on a large flat screen at home, and that is it can cost up to a full letter grade because you're missing the theater experience.

    I actually think I may have hated this one more if I'd had to go out into the bad weather and pay 8 bucks.

    Well, maybe hated isn't the right word, it's not a vile movie, it's just boring, noisy and incomprehensible.

    The setting is a rural Louisiana community called the bathtub which, as soon as an inevitable storm arrives, will be submerged. It takes a while to realize that it's not in fact set in a banana republic in the third world.

    The events, such as they are, are seen through the eyes and the prism of childlike surrealism of a 6 year old girl, hushpuppy.

    The events include, but aren't limited to, life death survival and self-realization all brought about by the flood.

    From what I gather those who believe this to be a brilliant piece of art are focusing on the fact that it really is a unique piece of filmmaking. I have not seen the like.

    But to me it was a visual and aural cacophony from beginning to end.

    I'm not sure what the scenes featuring pre-historic looking monsters may have meant but I'm guessing the occasional shots off melting polar ice caps were in deference to the global warming activists.

    Your mileage, and apparently the academies, may vary.

    D

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply

    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

    Register Login
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes


    Theme
    • System
    • Light
    • Dark
    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

    • First post
      Last post
    0
    • Forums
    • Recent
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Donate